Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Nameo

Real Name Nameo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DarkCntry
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 29, 2006, 02:29
Total Comments 539 (Apprentice)
User ID 24330

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned
43. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 21, 2012, 16:02 DarkCntry

necrosis wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 15:59:
If anyone who comes here is curious as to why we hate the ending so and has some time to read a bit give this a look.

http://bit.ly/GFNxrZ

While a good compilation, it still has its own issues, specifically a logical Sci-Fi reasoning to what happens to the Normandy.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 21, 2012, 15:49 DarkCntry

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 15:41:
Verno wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 15:39:
How about because it's a video game?

Please stop with this silliness, different things matter to different people. Blah blah its just cars, its just sports, etc etc. Most people had very reasonable complaints considering the time invested and how the game was experienced. Just because some idiots filed an FTC complaint doesn't mean the entire userbase was doing it too.

And I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I said. People can not like it, people can complain. But BioWare is responding to this because the "movement" has gotten so out of control that it's affecting their PR. Again, if you believe in what you're creating, the PR value of such a thing shouldn't matter. By giving in to this, the Retake Mass Effect movement will feel validated and that means we'll see more of that nonsense every time a vocal group doesn't like something about a title (which guess what, is every game ever released now).

This is going to take a real quick drive down Bad Analogy Avenue, but alas...

Sadly you're correct, the general Gamer population are filled with a shitton of entitled morons that just recently started typing partial sentences in between teet suckling...however, using this as an excuse for us to not speak up when we can factually state something isn't quite right is equally as stupid as the ones going to the FTC over it.

I despise the whole "retake" bullshit just on the name of the group alone, even if I agree with the 'mission'. Why should I be penalized simply because there's a retarded group of people out there that agrees with my view of something?

Would you feel that if there was a topic you felt strongly about was endorsed by a group of people you don't agree with that you should shut up?

22. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 21, 2012, 15:40 DarkCntry

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 15:36:
How about because it's a video game? I hated the ending of LOST and The Sopranos too but I wasn't creating web sites and filing complaints with the FTC over it. People certainly have a right to not like the ending but if BioWare believed in what they were creating, retconing it just to please a bunch of people screaming on the Internet shouldn't be on the table. I don't care if people didn't like the ending, that's fine. But the people review bombing the game and filing complaints with the government are idiots and shouldn't be taken seriously. By even considering changing the ending, BioWare validates this behaviour.

I agree, taking the whole thing so far overboard is retarded...a game is not something to be trivializing government resources over, however I also feel that there should be some voice behind the displeasure over the jarring issues with the ending. That should be the extent of it, after-all it is a product we paid for and we should expect a level of quality on par with the rest of the game itself.

Alas, this is the Internet and if it were not inhabited by a large population of socially inept trolls, then it wouldn't be the Internet.

16. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 21, 2012, 15:34 DarkCntry

finga wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 15:31:
Verno wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 15:23:
Listen I'm all for authorial intent but when you build the game around themes like friendship and player choice then discard that at the very end in the worst way....yeah that's a problem people should scream about.
Scream about? It's a video game. A VIDDEEEEOOOO GAMMMMEEE. There are people out there in your town not getting enough to eat, and this is how people choose to spend their time and release their outrage. It's cool if people don't like the ending. They can go ahead and not like it, but they should probably move on.

Next time someone gets an order wrong at your local fast food joint, don't demand them fix it or get your money back, after-all, it's just fast food and you probably have some red herring at home to eat....

9. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 21, 2012, 15:14 DarkCntry

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 14:18:
Great, cause listening to whiners on the Internet sets such a great precedent. Either you believe in the work you released or you don't. By capitulating to the whining idiots (I have not yet seen the Mass Effect 3 ending but I can't imagine any ending that would warrant the level of outrage we've seen), you tell people that by screaming loud enough, they can just get whatever they want. Stand by what you made.
The logical people that are dissatisfied with the ending have good reason...it's 3 endings stretched to 6 endings, and the bulk of those endings disregards the cadence of the rest of the story, the embedded 'core' of Shepard's beliefs, and adds quite a few plot inconsistencies the size of galaxies...and then reduces that down further to having the actual content of the endings boil down to a palette swap.

For myself, the ending is good...for a game that isn't Mass Effect. There's too many problems with how the ending actually felt disjointed with the rest of the dialogue and how they went all out and introduced a Deus Ex Machina in the form of a character that NEVER existed before those final moments.

I don't agree with the idiocy that the bulk of the idiotically named "Retake Mass Effect 3" movement follows...with their continual "hold the line" drivel and constant stream of entitled statements. Besides, it's basically the same partyline as the bulk of Blues posters in regards to EA and Bioware....no matter what is said or done, it'll never be enough.

News Comments > BioWare "Considering" Mass Effect 3 Ending Feedback
106. Re: BioWare Mar 20, 2012, 12:36 DarkCntry

Jerykk wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 12:30:
What gave you the idea that it happens long after the events in the series?

The old man and the kid talk about about Shepard like some kind of legend or myth. It would seem a bit weird to refer to her like that only a few years after the events of ME3. I guess it's possible, it just seems unlikely.

Based upon the juxtaposition of the scene in question in regards to the dialog made, you can expect it to be at least at the start of a third generation after Shepard's events.

Referring to Sherpard as "The Shepard" and the adult obviously being in an 'elderly' position as opposed to the child.

You don't get that until 4000. The weird thing is, though, it seems that from 4000-5000, Anderson doesn't die, but if you've over 5000, he DOES die.

The whole implementation of EMS just seems dumb. There's no logical connection between your estimated military strength and the things it causes in the endings. It would have made more sense if it determined how many races and/or companions survived the Reaper attack.

If memory serves, the EMS really is nothing more than a few alterations to the initial incursion to Earth and a few minor 'moments' on the actual resistance chatter.

Outside of the arbitrary number on the very minor changes to the end that is, like if Anderson lives or dies, etc etc.

News Comments > BioWare "Considering" Mass Effect 3 Ending Feedback
104. Re: BioWare Mar 20, 2012, 11:44 DarkCntry

The Magician wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 05:58:
So.. let's see. Everyone's got their panties in a wad because the story didn't end they way they thought it should?

Who's story is this?

No, people are rather upset that the ending basically removed every aspect of the previous 100+ hours devoted to the series. The fact that every 'choice' Shepard makes during the ending sequence is totally out-of-character. That there's a "push button to continue" ending that is effectively a palette swap situation. That the entirety of the ending removes any logical progression. That you learn absolutely nothing of the rest of your party sans the trio shown on the Normandy...

It's not a matter of 'ending the way we thought it should', but ending in a way that actually makes sense in regards to the rest of the game.

Honestly, the endings were good and decently written overall, just not good for a Mass Effect game.

I'm hoping Bioware takes the logical approach in this and give the 'rest of the story' in DLC form instead of just leaving it all up in the air. This allows them to kill the one bird of 'what happened to everyone else' issue and give them an opportunity to adjust the ending for that second bird.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
13. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 9, 2012, 00:53 DarkCntry

Cutter wrote on Mar 8, 2012, 19:04:
Please to splain to me why I have to swap discs for this even after installing it? Please, EA, splain this to me!

Console installs are nothing like PC installs. A rather large portion of the content still resides disc-side on console installs, basically leaving just 'major' portions (cutscenes, base assets) as what is installed. There are marker points on the disc for calls to this content. It also eases up the actual caching for the disc, hence the semi-faster load times on games that take advantage of it (ME2 actually did).

A lot of the actual textures in the game are still streamed from disc. But that's really up to a Dev house to pick what is and isn't installed. The problem crops up in just how much you want to have the user install to a, generally, underwhelming HDD in terms of both size and speed.

This isn't an EA thing either, it happens on pretty much every multi-disc game released for the consoles.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Launch Trailer
30. Re: Mass Effect 3 Launch Trailer Mar 3, 2012, 08:08 DarkCntry

Bhruic wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 02:54:
That's certainly plausible, but the Protheans were more technologically advanced than any of the races around now. But when the Reapers hit a planet, that planet was wasted in an extremely short time period. The idea that "Earth is holding out" is just silly. The Reapers would show up, Earth would be toast in a week - if it took that long - and they'd move on.

I don't mind the idea of trying to unite against them (although even then, the chances of beating them should be small - well, except we have Shepherd!), but this idea that we're going to somehow "save" the Earth is pretty bogus.

I dunno, maybe there's more to it than the demo suggested, but the Reapers didn't seem to be doing as much damage as we'd been lead to believe they could.

How I see it, and it was alluded to earlier here, was that the Reapers weren't intent on destroying just Earth, but attempting to decimate Humanity and create their new army of husks. As everything in the Lore suggests that we, humans, are the unifying factor that the Protheans didn't have and that thanks to Harbringer's 'data' on us, it probably, for lack of better words, scares them at our advancement and ability.

I believe their ultimate goal is to replace the Prothean Collector with us, while simultaneously decimating the rest of the known universe.

I do begin to wonder though, touching back on the whole MacGuffin bit, if it will be tied into something to do with the Quarians and the Geth based upon Legion's loyalty mission in ME2.

News Comments > Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games
72. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 15:41 DarkCntry

Alamar wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 15:19:
DarkCntry wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 14:38:
That said, you are aware that the only way to have privacy online is to not be online, right? If you don't believe that, and constitute it as a strawman, then well, there's no hope for you.

I admit my ignorance as to what the 'strawman argument' is, but will you admit that you don't know what the word hope means? : )

Hope implies the results of the future, not the present... You mean it as an insult, but I'm allowed to call it out; like fixing grammar in a post about poor grammar : )

-Alamar

There is no facepalm large enough to convey the level of "WTF" is in this entire post...

Look, you brought up an argument that no one was arguing, hence the strawman...

It might help if you were intending to 'fix my grammar', that you might understand what it is you're trying to fix first....

66. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 15:04 DarkCntry

Beelzebud wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 14:44:
DarkCntry wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 14:38:
Beelzebud wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 14:32:
It's not a strawman. My PC is my private property. EA has no right to sniff the contents of my hard drive, so Origin does not get installed on my machine. And no, merely connecting to the internet is not an invasion of privacy. Speaking of strawmen...

Perhaps you don't know what a strawman argument is....

That said, you are aware that the only way to have privacy online is to not be online, right? If you don't believe that, and constitute it as a strawman, then well, there's no hope for you.

Yes, only hope lies with those that argue in favor of corporations invading our privacy.

Ok, so maybe you do know what strawman means, you seem to be using it an awful lot here...

63. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 14:38 DarkCntry

Beelzebud wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 14:32:
It's not a strawman. My PC is my private property. EA has no right to sniff the contents of my hard drive, so Origin does not get installed on my machine. And no, merely connecting to the internet is not an invasion of privacy. Speaking of strawmen...

Perhaps you don't know what a strawman argument is....

60. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 14:24 DarkCntry

Beelzebud wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 14:11:
You honestly don't mind that EA scans the contents of your hard drive? Some of us don't like that at all, and look at it for exactly what it is: An invasion of privacy.

While not going to champion EA's actions, I will say that if you don't think just connecting to the Internet as an invasion of privacy, then you're just being funny...

When you buy an EA game, is it also okay for them to come in your house, while you're at work, and put all EA Games on their branded EA shelf? I think not.

I really hope this analogy was in jest and not fashioned to prove a point, otherwise you're just going to be slapped with a strawman label...

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 at GDC
6. Re: Unreal Engine 4 at GDC Feb 27, 2012, 22:39 DarkCntry

Super Shiny Engine 4!

If they get rid of that overall Teflon coat that is in the previous 2 UEs, I might be happy.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Demo for All
43. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo for All Feb 17, 2012, 17:43 DarkCntry

^Drag0n^ wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 17:36:
How bad is the Consolitis?

How bad is the consolitis on a console-led game that started as an Xbox exclusive title...did you really ask that question?

News Comments > Steam Breach Follow-up
20. Re: jtw321@gmail.com Feb 11, 2012, 04:34 DarkCntry

Flatline wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 03:23:
deadearth wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 21:53:
Slashman wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 21:49:

This message popped up when I signed into Steam earlier this evening. So its not just hiding on their forums.

It's also on their steam 'news' page.

It also emailed straight to me. However, they have done something intolerable. This is what the email said:

We've recently learned that it is probable that in 2009 the intruders obtained a copy of a database with information about Steam transactions between 2004 and 2008.

Dude, this breach happened THREE YEARS AGO and they just "found out about it" in the recent past. Which is, to put it mildly, a cock-up of epic proportions.

I think you misunderstood...most companies have information regarding almost every transaction they do...so in other words, it's not that this breach is that old, just that this is the bracket area that was taken.

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 8, 2012, 12:18 DarkCntry

ledhead1969 wrote on Feb 8, 2012, 11:01:
Xbox Live's Major Nelson A Letter from Alex Garden: Your Security.

That is a fucking joke. My account was hacked and it's been a month and MS hasn't fixed it.

Took around 4 months and contacting the BBB to get my account back....this included re-migration from Russia back to the US.

Basically make sure you've contacted MS a couple times directly, by phone, and if they have no new information to give you then use the BBB and make a complaint. It may take some time, but in my case, I got a personal 'advocate' that would give me weekly updates.

I ask that you, however, only do this as a last resort...otherwise you will end up lessening the 'strength' of a BBB complaint and MS will just start ignoring them.

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 27, 2012, 18:29 DarkCntry

So tell me, how would the console detect "used" and not something like "rented"?

News Comments > Ads in Titan?
27. Re: Ads in Titan? Jan 24, 2012, 04:45 DarkCntry

Agent.X7 wrote on Jan 24, 2012, 03:28:
I seriously think Titan is going to be to World of Warcraft what Warhammer 40K was to Warhammer. In other words, the future version of WoW. Tauren and Orcs and Gnomes and Elves with space guns and powered armor and what have you.

I mean, think about it. They stole the whole design from Warhammer in the first place. Why not go ahead and rip off the future version as well? Also, Titan? The Titans were their lore version of the gods in WoW. Makes sense to me.

They already did that...Starcraft. I wouldn't be surprised if ActiBlizz decided to MMOize it either.

News Comments > SWTOR Beta Patch, More on Ability Delay Patching
20. Re: SWTOR Beta Patch, More on Ability Delay Patching Jan 8, 2012, 15:14 DarkCntry

Alamar wrote on Jan 8, 2012, 12:59:
nin wrote on Jan 7, 2012, 22:33:
mlw wrote on Jan 7, 2012, 17:08:
I have been playing since early start and have many days of played time. I have not noticed any 'responsiveness' problem at all.

I've only noticed it when I cast Crushing Darkness immediately followed by Force Lighting. It's like there's an extra second or so of animation for CD after the cast, which in turn appears to clip the damaged of FL, since it's channeled.

Hope it's fixed soon...

In my case, force lightning often starts one handed, and goes to two (as a Sorc). The damage shows up right away though...

Either way, I see the claims that the damage is delayed, but can you really tell? Sometimes, the scrolling text is slow, but that doesn't mean the damage went out at the same time.

-Alamar

The only time I've had damage 'lost' is if I have the traited lighting that allows it to double-tick at half the channel speed.

539 Comments. 27 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo