Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Nameo

Real Name Nameo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DarkCntry
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 29, 2006, 02:29
Total Comments 541 (Apprentice)
User ID 24330

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown
109. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 10, 2012, 13:30 DarkCntry

The thing about the randomness is that it works both ways, and like anything with an RNG you're going to have your "on" and "off" moments.

For example, during one Terror mission I was backed into a building with 6 (yes, 6) Chrysalids bearing down on my squad and a trio of Muton Elites hanging around outside. The Chrysalids did their thing and came charging in, 2 of my squad got their reaction shots off and the other 4 missed. The hilarious part, ALL of the Chrysalids missed their attacks...this is melee now, which is supposed to be 100%, but somehow they all missed (the Mutons didn't though, and half my squad got fried).

Also, Plasma are the top-tier weapons for damage, lasers are top-tier for accuracy. Nothing beats a Hover-SHIV with their heavy plasma.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 11:08 DarkCntry

FalconerHG wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 11:02:
> Encountering aliens, they scuttle away to safety, after which trench warfare resolves the conflict. (in the old game, an encounter could result in aliens shooting at you right away, or you shooting them - that was far more nailbiting than it is now)

Aliens will shoot at you if you walk into them while they are on Overwatch, which can happen upon finding them. It happens more often on the harder difficulty and later levels.

> Maps are no longer random. There's only about 100, pre-made maps.

I agree with this...albeit the randomization of the original wasn't all that grand either.

> Games universally last less than a day. (the old games were epic in length)

What are you talking about?

> No more Action Points
APs were reduced to two actions a turn, which is modifiable with later advances. It's really no different. In the original, outside of the AP costs to do basic things like stance changes or turning, you really only moved and shot anyways 95% of the time

There are more, but these three are such enormously different that it is difficult to label the new game with the term 'remake'.
Except it is a remake in the fact that it effectively took the original and updated it.

A remake is taking the original concepts and mechanics and putting it into a new engine.

And that is effectively what they did. Are things more streamlined? Yes. Does that mean that it makes the overall strategy any different than the original XCOM? Not really.

8. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 10:48 DarkCntry

FalconerHG wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 10:39:
1) misunderstand the concept of what a remake is
In software entertainment, it means taking an original IP, redoing it and in general, updating the concept.

In XCOM:EU, you take the original source IP, keep the bulk of the mechanics there, and then gloss over it with the "pretty brush", slap on a throw-away story, and presto, you've remade the original.

3) are off your rockers for thinking that this plays like the original, its a vastly different game

The only vastly different thing is that you don't have the finer control over your squad members. Most of the stuff is done under-the-hood in terms of stances and what-not, which is not nearly a bad thing as most perceive it to be.

The other minor difference is the interceptor side of things, you don't have a range adjustment ability, they were replaced with the uplink abilities.

6. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 10:38 DarkCntry

Raven wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 10:28:
Plays just like the original? Are you kidding me? The system is massively "streamline". Dumb down to the point where you just can't dumb it down any more. Weapon rate-of-fire...gone, character stance (couch, prone)...gone... you can't even shoot at 2 aliens in the same turn (or at least I can't in the first 2 missions of the game that I managed to be able to play last night).

I tried hard to like the new system but, imo, action point system is just far superior.

As I said, it plays just like the original. Of course, you lose that finer detail of control, but you don't miss it. If you do, you're trying way too hard to find a dislike.

1. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 10:20 DarkCntry

Well, it's a really good remake. The elements of the original are there and if you aren't jaded, the game really plays just like the original just prettier.

A few gripes are the voices and a few of the missions types, namely the save VIP missions being boring as all hell.

I did, sadly, lose my maxed Medic in a massive swarm of Muton Elites and Heavy Floaters

News Comments > Steam Top 10
27. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 16:37 DarkCntry

Prez wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 16:04:
Okay who is the biggest classic X-COM fan here on Blues (That would be besides me) who is also buying XCOM on release day? If you convince me of your faithfulness to the almighty Microprose version and swear on your Ufopedia that the new one will be every bit as good I will preorder.

Otherwise, at least let me know if it is true to its divine heritage once you've played it and I'll buy it.

It won't be the exact same experience as the original, but it will be fairly close in my opinion. The early build I played a couple months ago showed that Firaxis was aiming to keep the feel of the original and attempting to keep the pace moving.

Not sure the difficulty level it was on, but the Tall Men I encountered used equal amounts of coordination that I did when moving into position, more often than not they opted to stay back and pick me off from a distance until I tried to close the gap...then decided it was a good idea to flank me. The AI's ability is near-par from my memory of the original, and in a few places, better.

And what I experienced of the base side of things was almost a carbon-copy of the original. Researched a few Sectoid blasters, got a power armor, and built up a SHIV.

The combat itself felt smoother to me since they consolidated skills to more automated effects (IE: the dash when you moved past the normal run range). Still on the fence about the 'skills' though, I liked the inventory management that kept me pondering when I should use the grenade or rocket launcher in the original.

Overall, as someone who bought the original game on it's release day I found myself pleasantly surprised at how Firaxis did.

74. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 24, 2012, 03:41 DarkCntry

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 24, 2012, 03:19:
Problem is you have to put 5 points in that skill to get to the Double cannon on the Turret Tree.

No, you don't. The skill level increases regardless where you put the point in that tree. It's not a successive tree, it's a cumulative tree.

As for the argument on Passive VS Active, honestly, a skill is a skill to me. If a passive is going to allow me to mow through people faster and more efficiently, I'll take that over an active skill that basically is a flashy attack with the same possible modifiers.

Besides, a lot of the issues most people have is the teamplay aspect, which is tied more into the Class mods and the "teamwork" line of passives, which most people won't use because they aren't generally as good as class-specific mods. My Commando has a -47% cooldown reduction, which is great for the turret. My Siren, on the other hand, has a mod that increases the percentage healed by Restoration shots, which is useless solo and why I rarely have it equipped.

43. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 23, 2012, 20:58 DarkCntry

Jerykk wrote on Sep 23, 2012, 20:29:
PHJF wrote on Sep 23, 2012, 19:39:
All right, TotalBiscuit confirmed my fears for BL2. One boring skill per class and pointless passive bonuses. But even after all that I still played the hell out of BL, so $43 seems fine...

"Pointless" passive bonuses..? I don't know about the other classes but the Assassin's passive bonuses are anything but pointless. They make a huge difference. Also, the Assassin has more than one active skill.

It's one of the few times I disagree with TB. Although I do see the point, he wants more active bonuses that have meat to them.

For example, 90% of the Commando's passives are, at worst, really too good. Get a high-chance elemental weapon and those passives that heal you on damage, increase weapon damage, etc and you're going to faceroll the entire game with the DoTs.

For example, there's a boss character during the latter story missions that will annoy the hell out of you, but if you've got DoTs and your turret leveled, you'll find that fight a whole lot easier.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month
56. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 22:06 DarkCntry

RailWizard wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 20:48:
No You! I will drop a single name that will shut you up. Robinhood.

I was actually told at one job interview that that is what my name means. lol Go figure...no I didn't get the job.

What does Robin Hood have to do with anything? The premise behind the fictional character is that he stole from the rich (profiting from the misgivings towards to poor) and gave to the poor (returning what was originally theirs and obtained in a manner deemed 'illegal'.

How is it in any way Robin Hood-esque to pirate a piece of software to use? Software (especially in this context) is a luxury good not intrinsic to a required form of living. The software wasn't obtained by the developers at the detriment of the 'common folk' either.

News Comments > Gotham City Impostors Goes Free-to-Play
12. Re: Gotham City Impostors Goes Free-to-Play Aug 31, 2012, 20:20 DarkCntry

WyldKat wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 18:05:
It looks like a quirky, fun time waster, I just never felt like spending money on it with so much else occupying my time. I'll check it out now though.

Does suck that they're not even throwing previous owners a bone with freebies or something. Of course APB Reloaded did this too. All of us who had clothes, cars, guns, and lots of gametime were told to STFU and pay2win. Glad this, at least, doesn't have gun rental/buying on the cash shop.

They actually are throwing purchasers freebies, a crapton of the DLC is unlocked.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Borderlands 2
83. Re: Gone Gold - Borderlands 2 Aug 20, 2012, 22:38 DarkCntry

NicklePop wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 20:07:
DarkCntry wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 17:21:
NicklePop wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 16:51:
Of course it applies to all media!

This is a gaming board though ... I'll spare you the ranting about other forms of mind-killing.

Then do explain how civilization has survived all of these years with the advent of books...after-all, the most violent one was contains content from around 3500 years ago.

Can you honestly suggest that 'books' have the same impact (and widespread usage among youth) as gaming?

Is there no difference in your mind?

False comparison IMO.

No less an impact as the mediums change with the times. Can you say that books didn't have the similar impact 200 years ago?

68. Re: Gone Gold - Borderlands 2 Aug 20, 2012, 17:21 DarkCntry

NicklePop wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 16:51:
Of course it applies to all media!

This is a gaming board though ... I'll spare you the ranting about other forms of mind-killing.

Then do explain how civilization has survived all of these years with the advent of books...after-all, the most violent one was contains content from around 3500 years ago.

55. Re: Gone Gold - Borderlands 2 Aug 20, 2012, 05:08 DarkCntry

PHJF wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 00:18:
nin wrote on Aug 19, 2012, 22:34:
when it's late night and I'm drunk I wanna let off steam and murder midgets!

I just ran over 4 people in Sleeping Dogs...and I'm pretty sure they had it coming. Well...at least 3 of them.

I hope you didn't do that on a mission cuz that shit RAPES your police score...

I pushed a guy 2 feet and it killed him, resulting in me losing an entire shield

That said, I guess that's commentary to what happens in real life when I push people 2 feet as well, I'm going to Hell

38. Re: Gone Gold - Borderlands 2 Aug 19, 2012, 21:51 DarkCntry

NicklePop wrote on Aug 19, 2012, 21:28:
No, a mental separation where you either refuse to take part, or actively argue against the degradation of the human mind.

Sorry, the only degradation of the human mind happening here are those whom believe that a video game can affect everyone in an equal, negative, manner to the point that they all become blithering idiots.

Look, I can think for myself and partake in self-reasoning, which allows me to differentiate between a fictional world of a game and the real world that I live in.

Are you of the same mold that believes books are evil too? After-all they can get as graphic, if not more-so, than any visual medium.

News Comments > OnLive Layoffs Follow-up
22. Re: OnLive Layoffs Follow-up Aug 18, 2012, 18:58 DarkCntry

Prez wrote on Aug 18, 2012, 16:30:
Quboid wrote on Aug 18, 2012, 16:13:
Prez wrote on Aug 18, 2012, 14:27:
OnLive's failure is not a surprise (it's a product without any market whatsoever); however I am interested to know if it even worked reasonably well? I could never be bothered to try it, being a product I have zero I interest in or use for, but I do find the technology ( low latency realtime streaming) pretty interesting. I've heard conflicting reports.

It was better than I'd expected, but that's not saying a whole lot. It looked like a Youtube video and the latency, while minimal, did affect gameplay.

Yeah, on the one hand that amazes me that it worked at all; on the other it amazes me that they actually thought people would actually want to play a game like that. I am not a console gamer but given the choice between OnLive and buying an XBox or PS3 I'd buy the console without a second thought.

I tried it for several months and really didn't have much of an issue. The few latency issues I had were mostly noticed in racing-based games, even the twitch shooters like Frontlines weren't any worse than a general latency lagspike. Even in Arkham City I didn't have issues.

I won't lie that it really shined in RTS-style games though.

This is all on Uverse at 10/1, but with anything online, YMMV.

News Comments > Rhode Island & Mellon Bank Taking Possession of 38 Studios
1. Re: Rhode Island & Mellon Bank Taking Possession of 38 Studios Aug 10, 2012, 11:26 DarkCntry

I eagerly await the products of the Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation, I'm sure they'll be stellar AAA titles! Thinking  

News Comments > Epic Forms Impossible Studios from Big Huge Ashes
6. Re: Epic Forms Impossible Studios from Big Huge Ashes Aug 9, 2012, 18:59 DarkCntry

A LOT of developers are pushing out iOS/Android apps for one simple reason, low-cost overhead.

The potential for decent (take note of that word) apps to create a large margin of profit is very high for them and honestly, it only makes sense for them to capitalize on it.

News Comments > Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles
88. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 9, 2012, 17:07 DarkCntry

wtf_man wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 20:00:
Just so you are aware... the RTM version kills some of those workarounds, just like the consumer preview killed the ones from the developer's build.

You pretty much will have to replace the explorer shell.

Meh...I'm sure they'll tweak one of the replacers to work with the retail version, I understand there's already an internal one working for 9200.16384, which is, if I remember correctly, is RTM.

Either way, I don't think we'll have to worry about Metro in the long run of things.

65. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 19:56 DarkCntry

Dev wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 19:29:
Lots are fantasizing about adobe and MS stuff on it with big sales. Its NOT going to happen. Neither of those companies (especially MS) is going to be willing to give any control to steam, and if pigs flew and they did put it on there, it would never have a good sale for titles from those companies.

This is going to have the kinda crap thats on giveAwayOfTheDay website, those $20 apps, most of which are crap.

If we are lucky, we'd get something like FRAPS on sale, which I'd buy, since they charge so much for that and almost never have a sale.

What I want is for that stuff to be completely separate, I want steam for games. I don't want it intruding on my steam home page unless I tell it to. I don't want the stuff showing up in game searches, etc.

Adobe will probably cease box sales seeing as their new path is a subscription service and via cloud servers, so it was only for the comedy value that I said "Photoshop"

58. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 18:46 DarkCntry

I will say this, I eagerly await the cross-over promotions for this...what kinda hats will TF2 achieve from getting Photoshop?  

541 Comments. 28 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo