Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Nameo

Real Name Nameo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DarkCntry
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 29, 2006, 02:29
Total Comments 531 (Apprentice)
User ID 24330

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Gone Gold - Borderlands 2
83. Re: Gone Gold - Borderlands 2 Aug 20, 2012, 22:38 DarkCntry

NicklePop wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 20:07:
DarkCntry wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 17:21:
NicklePop wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 16:51:
Of course it applies to all media!

This is a gaming board though ... I'll spare you the ranting about other forms of mind-killing.

Then do explain how civilization has survived all of these years with the advent of books...after-all, the most violent one was contains content from around 3500 years ago.

Can you honestly suggest that 'books' have the same impact (and widespread usage among youth) as gaming?

Is there no difference in your mind?

False comparison IMO.

No less an impact as the mediums change with the times. Can you say that books didn't have the similar impact 200 years ago?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

68. Re: Gone Gold - Borderlands 2 Aug 20, 2012, 17:21 DarkCntry

NicklePop wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 16:51:
Of course it applies to all media!

This is a gaming board though ... I'll spare you the ranting about other forms of mind-killing.

Then do explain how civilization has survived all of these years with the advent of books...after-all, the most violent one was contains content from around 3500 years ago.

55. Re: Gone Gold - Borderlands 2 Aug 20, 2012, 05:08 DarkCntry

PHJF wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 00:18:
nin wrote on Aug 19, 2012, 22:34:
when it's late night and I'm drunk I wanna let off steam and murder midgets!

I just ran over 4 people in Sleeping Dogs...and I'm pretty sure they had it coming. Well...at least 3 of them.

I hope you didn't do that on a mission cuz that shit RAPES your police score...

I pushed a guy 2 feet and it killed him, resulting in me losing an entire shield

That said, I guess that's commentary to what happens in real life when I push people 2 feet as well, I'm going to Hell

38. Re: Gone Gold - Borderlands 2 Aug 19, 2012, 21:51 DarkCntry

NicklePop wrote on Aug 19, 2012, 21:28:
No, a mental separation where you either refuse to take part, or actively argue against the degradation of the human mind.

Sorry, the only degradation of the human mind happening here are those whom believe that a video game can affect everyone in an equal, negative, manner to the point that they all become blithering idiots.

Look, I can think for myself and partake in self-reasoning, which allows me to differentiate between a fictional world of a game and the real world that I live in.

Are you of the same mold that believes books are evil too? After-all they can get as graphic, if not more-so, than any visual medium.

News Comments > OnLive Layoffs Follow-up
22. Re: OnLive Layoffs Follow-up Aug 18, 2012, 18:58 DarkCntry

Prez wrote on Aug 18, 2012, 16:30:
Quboid wrote on Aug 18, 2012, 16:13:
Prez wrote on Aug 18, 2012, 14:27:
OnLive's failure is not a surprise (it's a product without any market whatsoever); however I am interested to know if it even worked reasonably well? I could never be bothered to try it, being a product I have zero I interest in or use for, but I do find the technology ( low latency realtime streaming) pretty interesting. I've heard conflicting reports.

It was better than I'd expected, but that's not saying a whole lot. It looked like a Youtube video and the latency, while minimal, did affect gameplay.

Yeah, on the one hand that amazes me that it worked at all; on the other it amazes me that they actually thought people would actually want to play a game like that. I am not a console gamer but given the choice between OnLive and buying an XBox or PS3 I'd buy the console without a second thought.

I tried it for several months and really didn't have much of an issue. The few latency issues I had were mostly noticed in racing-based games, even the twitch shooters like Frontlines weren't any worse than a general latency lagspike. Even in Arkham City I didn't have issues.

I won't lie that it really shined in RTS-style games though.

This is all on Uverse at 10/1, but with anything online, YMMV.

News Comments > Rhode Island & Mellon Bank Taking Possession of 38 Studios
1. Re: Rhode Island & Mellon Bank Taking Possession of 38 Studios Aug 10, 2012, 11:26 DarkCntry

I eagerly await the products of the Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation, I'm sure they'll be stellar AAA titles! Thinking  

News Comments > Epic Forms Impossible Studios from Big Huge Ashes
6. Re: Epic Forms Impossible Studios from Big Huge Ashes Aug 9, 2012, 18:59 DarkCntry

A LOT of developers are pushing out iOS/Android apps for one simple reason, low-cost overhead.

The potential for decent (take note of that word) apps to create a large margin of profit is very high for them and honestly, it only makes sense for them to capitalize on it.

News Comments > Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles
88. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 9, 2012, 17:07 DarkCntry

wtf_man wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 20:00:
Just so you are aware... the RTM version kills some of those workarounds, just like the consumer preview killed the ones from the developer's build.

You pretty much will have to replace the explorer shell.

Meh...I'm sure they'll tweak one of the replacers to work with the retail version, I understand there's already an internal one working for 9200.16384, which is, if I remember correctly, is RTM.

Either way, I don't think we'll have to worry about Metro in the long run of things.

65. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 19:56 DarkCntry

Dev wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 19:29:
Lots are fantasizing about adobe and MS stuff on it with big sales. Its NOT going to happen. Neither of those companies (especially MS) is going to be willing to give any control to steam, and if pigs flew and they did put it on there, it would never have a good sale for titles from those companies.

This is going to have the kinda crap thats on giveAwayOfTheDay website, those $20 apps, most of which are crap.

If we are lucky, we'd get something like FRAPS on sale, which I'd buy, since they charge so much for that and almost never have a sale.

What I want is for that stuff to be completely separate, I want steam for games. I don't want it intruding on my steam home page unless I tell it to. I don't want the stuff showing up in game searches, etc.

Adobe will probably cease box sales seeing as their new path is a subscription service and via cloud servers, so it was only for the comedy value that I said "Photoshop"

58. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 18:46 DarkCntry

I will say this, I eagerly await the cross-over promotions for this...what kinda hats will TF2 achieve from getting Photoshop?  

56. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 17:48 DarkCntry

RailWizard wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 17:45:
I don't get it. How is this for gamers?

DarkCntry wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 17:18:

It's really no less a piece of crap than, say, Win7. What is a problem is Metro, but alas, that's easily fixed.

Easily fixed? I thought metro could not be disabled?

Well, easy is subjective, but I'm still using the old desktop environment on 8. There's several tutorials out there telling you how to do it.

53. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 17:18 DarkCntry

Rattlehead wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 17:01:
DarkCntry wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 16:39:
Now see, this starts to make sense as to why Gabe went all up in arms over the inclusion of the 'walled garden' issue with Win8...he wants his own version.

Or it could be the fact that Win 8 is a piece of crap...but I'm sure your theory holds ground too.

It's really no less a piece of crap than, say, Win7. What is a problem is Metro, but alas, that's easily fixed.

As I see it, Gabe's whole rant on Win8 had to do solely with the 'walled garden' issue he had with the store Microsoft intended on adding, and thanks to this announcement, it makes plenty of sense why he's upset, it's direct competition.

47. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 16:39 DarkCntry

Now see, this starts to make sense as to why Gabe went all up in arms over the inclusion of the 'walled garden' issue with Win8...he wants his own version.  

News Comments > Diablo III Hero Profiles Live
15. Re: Diablo III Hero Profiles Live Aug 6, 2012, 22:46 DarkCntry

eunichron wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 21:27:
Doing one thing well doesn't mean the game is devoid of any problems. The gameplay is straight out of 1999. No amount of intricate-to-the-point-of-convolution skill trees makes up for boring gameplay.

Did I say the game was devoid of problems?

Just because the gameplay is, as you subjectively put, straight out of 1999 doesn't make it bad, just not your 'thing'. I found the gameplay fun, but I don't expect others to think the same way as I do.

News Comments > Diablo III Hero Profiles Live
12. Re: Diablo III Hero Profiles Live Aug 6, 2012, 18:52 DarkCntry

Icewind wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 18:43:
As for Path of Exile I played some of the beta back in the spring and didn't like it. Me and a friend went through together and aside from the great graphics there isn't anything special about it. Unless you're into PK stuff I suppose, since they said there will be a focus on that.

Did you not notice that it is, for the most part, classless and that there's just an asston of things on the skill tree to choose from? Something that almost everyone complained about D3 not having.

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: Blizzard/Valve and Win8 Jul 27, 2012, 21:31 DarkCntry

eunichron wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 21:16:
"Big" in the sense that they make games with a focus on PC that a large majority of PC gamers love to play, and run the single largest digital distribution network for PC gaming in the world.

They haven't done a 'big' game in years, their only current asset to PC Gaming *is* Steam and is exactly why Gabe's worried about Win8.

When you have two developers who never abandoned the PC platform insinuating that Windows 8 will kill desktop PC gaming, that is a pretty big deal.

Valve has done it's own damage in terms of the PC platform, but that's its own discussion, and more-so could be said about Blizzard.

That said, it doesn't change why Gabe's upset, and Blizzard's Pardo is only scared in what that means for their future ability to control their content.

If anyone believes that Win8 is going to do anything to PC gaming, let alone PC computing in general, I might just want to point them back a few years to WinME.

3. Re: Blizzard/Valve and Win8 Jul 27, 2012, 21:04 DarkCntry

eunichron wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 20:50:
Well there you have it... the two largest PC video game makers speaking out against Win8. Both companies already simultaneously develop for MacOS and Windows, and Valve is expressing sincere interest in Linux. Something is going to give... either Microsoft will realize it's shitty decisions with Win8 and make more desktop oriented SKUs, instead of forcing clunky and terrible tablet interfaces, or desktop gaming will move to another platform. In case of the latter I would prefer Linux over MacOS, though.

Valve a 'big' game maker? Since when?

Gabe's comments were taken in respect to how Win8 is supposed to have it's own digital distribution store and will be direct competition for Steam, with the rumors of it being a version of a walled garden ala Apple.

10. Re: etc., etc. Jul 26, 2012, 21:50 DarkCntry

Veterator wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 21:35:
No less nuts than the majority of other job ads out there. Who want to give entry level pay for 10-20 years experience on tech that has only been out for 2 years. And the job ends up being something completely different, yet no one in the chain can seem to communicate effectively enough to make the job ad reflect WTF they are looking for.

How people manage to hire via the mechanics and BS we have in place just amazes me. I think they just hire via employee referrals anymore.

The difference is that Metacritic is an aggregate of opinions, and not of actual ability.

6. Re: etc., etc. Jul 26, 2012, 21:23 DarkCntry

wtf_man wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 21:18:
If this is for Bioshock Infinite... aren't they a bit fuckin' late trying to hire a designer?

I would assume much like the last line of the article that it may be more for a future title than Bioshock Infinite, as it's far too along in the process to brief a new design manager.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Trailer
40. Re: PlanetSide 2 Trailer Jul 26, 2012, 21:01 DarkCntry

Closed Betas wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 20:56:
You're lost man, you don't even understand what im saying because you refuse to process it on the sole point if it being in general negative.

Yea, I've lost...there's just no way I can compete with someone who resorts to horrible attempts at character assassination instead of actually making a reasoned and intelligent argument.

531 Comments. 27 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo