Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Nameo

Real Name Nameo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DarkCntry
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 29, 2006, 02:29
Total Comments 536 (Apprentice)
User ID 24330

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Trek Online Expands
23. Re: Star Trek Online Expands Oct 18, 2014, 23:07 DarkCntry

Acleacius wrote on Oct 18, 2014, 20:53:
Ooc, if most or all the game is F2P and not P2W what is the high price on packages? They custom skins and outfits for the ship and toons, normally bought in the Game Store (something like Secret World). I've never tried this mmog, read a little on the Release notes and the main site, but still don't understand.

Thanks

Basically the pack gives you 'boosts' to various aspects as well as the theme-specific ships for the races. You don't need anything in the pack to play the expansion, nor do you need anything in the pack to have enjoyment.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
72. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 6, 2014, 17:34 DarkCntry

NegaDeath wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 15:08:
Though I might be stomping on some lore here, no idea.

The entire game stomps on the Lore ideas...and that's just only in regards to the Wraith himself.

I've learned years ago (way back to the original Hobbit game) that if I wanted a game in the Middle-earth setting that I wasn't going to get anything near the source material and to accept the end-result as strict entertainment with a Middle-earth flair.

I do like your idea though, about using the Nemesis system in a parallel way to rally the Men of Gondor, I just don't know when would be the best time to attempt such a thing. Shadow of Mordor takes place between the Hobbit and Fellowship, so it would probably start stepping on the Trilogy's toes if you kept Talion as the main character for that.

51. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 6, 2014, 01:42 DarkCntry

NKD wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 01:13:
My go-to strategy for the harder captains was to drag them over to some fodder (if they didn't have some already with them) build up a combo chain, and use it on a Fire Arrow to a grog vat or a campfire or something. As far as I know they can't become immune to fire.

Might be able to get a Hatred of burning though, which would give them regen etc. In which case I don't know what you'd do.

He started off with a hatred of fire, which made my life super difficult...not to mention he was so early in the game that I had to actually leave him alone for like ever to get enough skills.

Yea, he ended up with almost every great trait you could in terms of strengths, up to the one he got for level 19 being 'has a huge army follow him'....

49. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 6, 2014, 00:57 DarkCntry

harlock wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 00:13:
got killed by a "legendary" captain once, he got promoted and started dual wielding these posion axes.. after a while he got up to lvl 18, started pissing me off because he kept showing up at the worst times when i was fighting other dudes

so i marked him and got his intel, dude had invulnerability to everything - stealth, ranged, melee.. hate of defeat, also regeneration... he had fear of caragors but was a monster slayer so he could kill them instantly

anyways, once i found him i slaughtered all his cronies and started pounding on him trying to figure out how to kill him

we were dueling in a heavy rainstorm, in the middle of an open field, all alone because i massacred everyone around him

went back and forth for 10 minutes, as i slowly figured out how to beat him, whittling him down one little sliver at a time

it was so fucking epic - like some movie level shit.. - and yet it was totally unscripted sandbox stuff

My road to the killer Legendary was similar...except it was like whenever I got into a fight with any of the named Captains this stupid tardmuffin popped in. I'd kill one only to get the 'auto-death' by his hands, every single time. I went hunting for him only to find him in a stronghold with 4 other captains, so I was like nope nope, fast-traveled back to the nearest tower and the assmonkey was there. I really started to hate the nemesis system for a bit.

46. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 5, 2014, 23:38 DarkCntry

Quinn wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 19:19:
Squirmer wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 19:16:
Quinn wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 19:13:
Very underwhelmed with SoM. It's too easy, and you're doing the same shit the entire time. The game is as shallow as a puddle. There are a lot of weapon sidequest but they all end up with you either having to shoot uruks, stealth-kill uruks or kill uruks in open battle. Every uruk can identify a special uruk for you, though only worms and special uruks can reveal their weaknesses. The latter is useless, because you could basically kill 5 warchiefs in one battle with one hand while playing Plants vs Zombies with the other.

The entire game you're basically killing uruks or let them kill eachother, and collect shit. I'm surprised the game is being received so fucking well.
How far into it are you? The basic uruks are easy to fight, but once the ones with shields and the ones that block your attacks appear, it gets harder.

Second area. Those guys you either execute once you get the streak or stun+flurry them. For the shieldies you jump over them then stun+flurry them. It's so easy :-(

Here's a trick for you...get one of the Warchiefs up to like level 19, make sure he has no weaknesses...then tell me just how easy it is. Oh, and make sure he's a Combat Master, that makes sure you won't rely on the streak attacks or just use stun+flurry.

News Comments > The Sims 4 and Patch Released
10. Re: The Sims 4 and Patch Released Sep 3, 2014, 01:57 DarkCntry

walrus1 wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 01:03:
I'm hearing its still pretty buggy and very very barebones.

Wife, with me taking some turns, played it off and on for about 7 or so hours total since it released...no slowdowns, no crashes, no bugs that I encountered.

To answer some questions, fans of the Sims aren't really going to find anything 'wrong' per-se, just that the game is really just more of the same with a shiny new coating. It's still a game about creating a fake person, giving that fake person a fake personality, and then having said fake person go through the rigors of the mundane daily life.

A few more things were streamlined in the interface, the game seems smaller (but every Sims game felt that way during release), and it really doesn't have anything either positive or negative to boast about.

I primarily play it for the building aspect to get my architect bug scratched at a very rudimentary level...wife plays it just because it's good here and there for a pick up game without having to engage the 'deep thought' engine.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 13, 2014, 19:02 DarkCntry

nin wrote on Aug 13, 2014, 18:50:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 13, 2014, 18:39:
Also, how awesome is it that her name is Zelda.

Also also, she's a cutie!

Pretty sure that wasn't an accident. He was a gamer.

He named his daughter after the titular character, and his son Cody's name is from Final Fight.

News Comments > Another The Crew Beta This Month
8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2014, 22:28 DarkCntry

Rigs wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 22:13:
There was a Youtube video not too long ago of someone that drove from Miami to San Fran in game, took about 40 mins. Was pretty cool. Got me kinda hyped to play it. There were no loading screens, no loading at all really. It apparently crashed once, toward the end when they were in the desert Southwest but other than that it looked like a fun racer. Was 'The Run' anything like that? I never played that one, just Hot Pursuit, Most Wanted and Rivals. I'm curious how big the game world in 'The Run' is compared to 'The Crew'...

EDIT: Here's the 40-minute video cross-country...

=-Rigs-=

I don't remember Florida looking that squatty Of course I know it's condensing, but it's still funny looking, more-so than the actual state.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Core Changes Next Month
2. Re: Battlefield 4 Core Changes Next Month Aug 7, 2014, 20:11 DarkCntry

Seventyfive wrote on Aug 7, 2014, 19:35:
I feel like they're trying hard to make this the best BF4 add on possible. I just hope they bump up run speed more than 10%. I feel like it needs a 50% increase to get to what is the speed an actual adult might run let alone want to play a non ghost recon/rainbow 6 shooter at.

What add-on? These are changes coming in a patch...

News Comments > Tom Clancy's EndWar Online Alpha Begins
2. Re: Tom Clancy's EndWar Online Alpha Begins Jun 29, 2014, 18:17 DarkCntry

Rhett wrote on Jun 29, 2014, 17:20:
This looks like something you'd find on facebook...
It is, after-all, a browser-based game...so it isn't a stretch to think that.

News Comments > Gearbox Community Day 2013 Digital Bonus Pack Returns
7. Re: Gearbox Community Day 2013 Digital Bonus Pack Returns Jun 21, 2014, 08:14 DarkCntry

jdreyer wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 06:11:
So, I have to pay $20 to get Homeworld for free? That makes no sense whatsoever.
No, but getting Homeworld HD for $20 seems like a good enough deal to me, especially if you like the series...your mileage may vary.

As for the 'terms and conditions' you talk about, it reads the exact same for almost anything out there and is a CYA agreement.

News Comments > Gearbox Community Day 2013 Digital Bonus Pack Returns
4. Re: Gearbox Community Day 2013 Digital Bonus Pack Returns Jun 20, 2014, 21:21 DarkCntry

Panickd wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 18:51:
Why the fuck would anyone pay real money for this?

Free download of Homeworld HD and Homeworld Classic*

For Homeworld fans, that's enough to say 'hey, $20 is ok'.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale
36. Re: Steam Summer Sale Jun 19, 2014, 16:22 DarkCntry

Creston wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 16:00:
Players can earn in-game items, community rewards, and points for their team by crafting badges throughout the sale.

Oh Gosh, the excitement!!! (Seriously, why do people bother with this?)

It's a little bit of side fun to the sale, more often than not the bulk of stuff comes from just buying from the sales to achieve whatever it is they run. For example, for every $10 spent, you get a card...how many people will spend more than that during the event?

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals
16. Re: Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals Jun 13, 2014, 00:00 DarkCntry

I'm of two minds about this...I really want more things added in, but I'm also afraid of this becoming a cesspool of half-heartedly implemented things just added in to appease those asking for it.

I'd also rather like the idea of getting in to support the game, not to get tchotchkes, but I also like the idea of getting something extra for getting in on the ground floor...so I'm pretty torn over it.

Honestly, I'd really go for a 'going dark' phase so we can get closer to it actually getting released.

News Comments > Free Battlefield 3 on Origin
13. Re: Free Battlefield 3 on Origin May 28, 2014, 23:37 DarkCntry

Devil's Advocate time....

Except for the whole voted Worst Company in America 2x
Stupidest thing ever...when it was in the same company as banks and oil conglomerates actually causing harm.

DRM problems with games
I've heard a lot of this, but within my many groups of people that I belong to, not a single one of them has had any real issue outside of day 1 bullshit that happens to every game, including Steamworks titles.

threatening to ban people for disputing charges after failing to deliver a product paid for
I've done this no less than 10 times over the years, each time I've never had an issue with getting a refund with any of EA's products. I guess I must be lucky enough to get those unicorn-level people when I call.

refusing refunds for a broken product
See above...albeit, again as devil's advocate, your idea of a broken product may not jive with reality.

banning people from their games for forums posts
This is pretty funny to read, I've seen people go on mass tirades on EA's various forums and not one of them has been banned in any of the games they posted to. That said, EA has the right to do this if they so desire, as does every place of business has the right to refuse access.

the Battlefield release fiasco
You know, sans the day 1 bullshit of overloaded servers and what-not, I had no real issues with the BF series over the last decade. Of course, any time you rely on a shitton of server backend it will fuck up.

EA is a terrible company that treats their customers poorly. I choose not to be one of those customers for good reason.

Funny though, Valve doesn't do refunds on games sold on Steam unless there has been some form of misrepresentation, and even then it's like pulling teeth to get anything out of it. EA, on the other hand, allows you pretty much to play the game to completion and then return it for a full refund via Origin.

As I opened, this is all devil's advocate things...I don't like EA's business practices overall in terms of management ruling the roost, but don't toss out shit in hopes it'll stick when could just as easily find an equal number of other companies out there that are beloved doing the exact same things.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Tropico 5
12. Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2014, 20:32 DarkCntry

JaguarUSF wrote on May 24, 2014, 14:44:
Rigs wrote on May 24, 2014, 11:46:
ArsTechnica didn't like it too much, though he went off on a tangent about...actually, I don't even really know
He seemed to be infatuated with complaining about the missions. Apparently they were too specific for him. I don't think they are; since you usually have 3-6 going on at the same time, I didn't think it was excessive hand-holding.

He's also a bit incorrect in a few spots...one in particular is the comment about how you aren't alerted about deaths on the island due to a deficit. You still get popups about the deaths (lack of medical coverage, starvation) in the PIP popups. Matter of fact, I do believe anything that occurs on my island that is pertinent to my attention needs is shown in that little window, all without having to open the almanac, albeit I still do that out of habit anyways.

7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Tropico 5 May 23, 2014, 22:05 DarkCntry

Task wrote on May 23, 2014, 21:34:
I'm curious how this plays... any good youtube reviews?

TotalBiscuit's WTF is Tropico 5

Non-video reviews

Eurogamer's 7/10

4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Tropico 5 May 23, 2014, 19:04 DarkCntry

Just a little over 2 hours in on the campaign...it's more of the same with Tropico in the mechanics department, but the overall game seems better to me.

The constitution aspect and the Dynasty aspect are, thus far, pretty encouraging in allowing a specialized rule system. Haven't attempted the multiplayer (probably won't until I finish the campaign), so I won't comment on that aspect, although it is a welcomed addition if it was done right.

45. Re: Steam Top 10 May 19, 2014, 10:37 DarkCntry

Prez wrote on May 19, 2014, 07:04:
I would REALLY love you to name a game that out-minecraft's Minecraft. Just one. Something with destructible terrain, multiplayer, the amount of content and player agency. If there is a game that surpasses it and makes it look terrible x2 I will apologise to you right here.

If you were talking cultural phenomenon status I would say the only franchises that come close to Minecraft would be the Sims or World of Warcraft. What Minecraft does better than any other game is it engages not so much "gamers" (though I know a bunch of them who still play) but entices the imaginations of the "creators", the "tinkerers", and many other of traditionally non-gamer types by being every bit as much of a toy and imagination sandbox as game.

I wouldn't really call Minecraft a 'game' per se, but more of a sandbox. Yes, there's 'survival' mode, but I would wager a guess that the mass majority of players do creative mode. The only actual goals of Minecraft is to just build, it would be basically just taking the building portion of The Sims and removing all of the other aspects.

I would liken Minecraft to digital Legos, while there are 'templates' that you can follow, the real fun comes with just going crazy and building whatever you want.

News Comments > On Advanced Warfare Realism and Sledghammer's Cancelled Game
23. Re: On Advanced Warfare Realism and Sledghammer's Cancelled Game May 5, 2014, 19:57 DarkCntry

Cutter wrote on May 5, 2014, 18:19:
DarkCntry wrote on May 5, 2014, 15:28:
Stop trying to Cutter-up the conversation due to a reading comprehension problem and implementing red herrings.

Do you deny the existence of exosuits? Optic camouflage? Devices that allow climbers to adhere to specific surfaces?

What are you smoking? Show me one exoskeleton that does one of those things. We had jet packs in the 50s and they still haven't changed. We've had robots since then too and even for the ones that can walk it's just barely. You're on fucking crack if you think HALO style powered armor suits are going to be showing up anytime soon. You're the one with comprehension problems. Reality comprehension.

Typical Cutter wit...no actual semblance to being capable of reading something, instead heading directly into attacking.

As have been pointed out quite a few times, there's examples of prototypes and other material being created that, within the time frame that the game is stated, could in fact be realistic.

Of course, however, you seem to be hellbent on throwing red herring after red herring...you really should be a fisherman. I mean, really, who said anything about HALO-style powered armor?

536 Comments. 27 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo