Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
West Point, NE 02/20

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Nameo

Real Name Nameo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DarkCntry
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 29, 2006, 02:29
Total Comments 555 (Apprentice)
User ID 24330

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Ubisoft Deactivating Far Cry 4 Keys; Cites Fraud
35. Re: Ubisoft Deactivating Far Cry 4 Keys; Cites Fraud Jan 26, 2015, 17:44 DarkCntry

Cutter wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 16:58:
I've bought several games from people on G2A and only got one bad key which G2A promptly refunded because I used their service guarantee. So I have nothing but good things to say about them so far.

And how on earth were these keys obtained fraudulently? Was it some Mission Impossible team that broke into the servers, stole a bunch of pre-generated keys, then sold them on the black market? Or it more likely that they were completely legitimate regional keys that were purchased cheap and resold for a tiny profit? I'm guessing it's the latter. Ubisoft could do the sensible thing and bring down the prices on their games a lot faster to avoid this in the first place, but that would make sense. No, instead they'd rather just try and gouge first world gamers. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

More often than not, the keys are obtained in a region where the product is sold at a much lower price to fit with the regional 'cost of living'. For example, several Asian countries sell at a far lower price than in other parts of the world, usually these games are region locked (see: Russian copies), but there are areas where they don't region lock because it's neigh impossible.

Commonly on places like G2A they get a shipment (see: who knows how) of keys from a lesser developed country for a very deep discount in relation to the rest of the world.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gearbox Recruiting for "Next Borderlands"
12. Re: Gearbox Recruiting for Jan 26, 2015, 12:32 DarkCntry

jdreyer wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 12:18:
Creston wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 11:15:
Gearbox, please shake up the character formula a bit. Give characters 3 actions skills, rather than one, for example. Make it a bit different.

Other than that, excited to see what they're doing next. I got plenty of great enjoyment out of BL2.

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of this series, but they need to shake it up. I'm thinking change up the art style (go hyper-realistic?), change the gun mechanics (like make them modular so you can build your own?), add more vehicles (flying?), or something.

Anyone remember when Borderlands was first announced, it was grittier and a lot more serious in both tone and visuals. I really don't think they intend on going back to that simply because it didn't pan out originally.

News Comments > Homeworld Remastered Collection Next Month
15. Re: Homeworld Remastered Collection Next Month Jan 26, 2015, 11:16 DarkCntry

Creston wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 11:14:
Hmmm, it looks nicer, but honestly nowhere near as nice as I was expecting/hoping. I guess they wanted to make sure to keep the art style, but I really wanted it to look just eye-poppingly brilliant.

I'll still pick it up, IF the price is right. But seeing how long Gearbox worked on this, I'm worried this is going to cost $40 at minimum.

Sub-$30 on Steam right now with a 15% discount. Regularly it's $35.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 26, 2015, 10:14 DarkCntry

I *really* hope this is a joke...  

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Jan 24, 2015, 23:33 DarkCntry

Shok wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 21:24:
10 names better than Grey Goo:

Star Goop
Stellar Lard
Intersticky
Blackhole Down
Neutron Skidmarks
Atomic Annihilation
Astro Nam
Infidel Infantry
Orbital Muck
Metallurgical!

True, but playing devil's advocate...Grey Goo is an actual doomsday scenario.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_goo

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
6. Re: Viacom and ESPN Jan 20, 2015, 20:40 DarkCntry

jdreyer wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 19:50:
Pigeon wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 18:08:
I'm surprised they didn't decide to also shout FIRE in the theaters when this movie came and then charge people for another ticket when they try to go back in.

Well, the movie made $100M domestically, so having to pay $1M in fines is probably worth it.

Didn't the Purge also use the tones in their trailer?

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Free Weekend
5. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Free Weekend Jan 16, 2015, 00:38 DarkCntry

theglaze wrote on Jan 15, 2015, 21:12:
Bought the game when it popped up for presale...perhaps the last time I do that. It feels generic, I jus don't feel compelled to keep playing it. I ended up picking Endless Legend on steam sale and plan to play that instead, offers far more compelling races and gameplay dynamics.

I think one of the biggest factors in me just not having the drive to play through this is that there's simply no draw to each faction. In previous Civs there's at least been leaders where we can associate their personalities with real people, in BE you've got faceless corporations. Even Alpha Centauri used a leader system that had a richer background and history, which made playing it far more enjoyable.

I do expect it to be like Civ V in that it'll probably get good after the first DLC expansion.

Another thing, why is there no end-game screen?

News Comments > Mortal Kombat X Trailer; Goro Preorder Bonus
13. Re: Mortal Kombat X Trailer; Goro Preorder Bonus Jan 15, 2015, 06:11 DarkCntry

InBlack wrote on Jan 15, 2015, 05:27:
DarkCntry wrote on Jan 15, 2015, 04:52:
bigspender wrote on Jan 15, 2015, 00:02:
DarkCntry wrote on Jan 14, 2015, 22:26:
bigspender wrote on Jan 14, 2015, 20:31:
ahh yes the old pre-order bonus, AKA holding already made content for ransom demand.

Someone should get Liam Neeson to sort this shit out.

Or, as previous iterations have shown, timed exclusive. Either way, it's not a big deal.

Depends which way you look at it. From my point of view its locked content, even if for a short time, simply because you did the one thing that customers should never do (buy before you try, or at least read review from a respected source). It's punishing the customers that are smart enough to know better.

It's only punishing you if you're feeling entitled to that content. Sorry to say, in this instance, playing as Goro is probably not going to amount of anything other than "ZOMG I AM GORO". As I said, this is a big non-issue.

Really though, if you think this is punishment, then you really are part of the problem with the entitlement generation.

So waiting for the release of a game to see how it actually pans out and if its worth getting is entitlement?

No, stating that it's punishment for a company to have incentives on pre-ordering is perpetuating the entitlement route.

Waiting is a consumer right, much like a right for a company to push a product with incentives to increase sales, pre- or post-release.

9. Re: Mortal Kombat X Trailer; Goro Preorder Bonus Jan 15, 2015, 04:52 DarkCntry

bigspender wrote on Jan 15, 2015, 00:02:
DarkCntry wrote on Jan 14, 2015, 22:26:
ahh yes the old pre-order bonus, AKA holding already made content for ransom demand.

Or, as previous iterations have shown, timed exclusive. Either way, it's not a big deal.

Depends which way you look at it. From my point of view its locked content, even if for a short time, simply because you did the one thing that customers should never do (buy before you try, or at least read review from a respected source). It's punishing the customers that are smart enough to know better.

It's only punishing you if you're feeling entitled to that content. Sorry to say, in this instance, playing as Goro is probably not going to amount of anything other than "ZOMG I AM GORO". As I said, this is a big non-issue.

Really though, if you think this is punishment, then you really are part of the problem with the entitlement generation.

6. Re: Mortal Kombat X Trailer; Goro Preorder Bonus Jan 14, 2015, 22:26 DarkCntry

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 14, 2015, 07:20 DarkCntry

jdreyer wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 14:35:
I think Valve jumped the gun with the Steam machine. Should have had the O/S solid and ready to go when they announced them.
They really shouldn't have hinged the system on the controller. The actual bones to Steam Machines is the OS, and that's been pretty much done for a year now.

News Comments > Telltale Gets New CEO; Putting "A Lot of Energy" into New IP
4. Re: Telltale Gets New CEO; Putting Jan 13, 2015, 17:29 DarkCntry

Tim Collins wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 14:40:
telltale has always made crap games, its just a fluke these point and click games are so easy for them to make they have a hard time blowing it......by the way the wolf game was so bad I couldnt get past episode 2.

Suffice to say, you're the minority voice here.

News Comments > Aliens Games Back on Steam
8. Re: Aliens Games Back on Steam Jan 7, 2015, 22:01 DarkCntry

Squirmer wrote on Jan 7, 2015, 21:52:
Pretty sick of Valve's silence on anything like this. Have some respect for your customers.
It is really more than likely nothing to do with Valve/Steam and all to do with the publishing rights from 20th Century.

News Comments > Origin PC CEO: Steam Controller Finalized; Steam Machines "Pretty Much Dead"
14. Re: Origin PC CEO: Steam Controller Finalized; Steam Machines Jan 7, 2015, 21:58 DarkCntry

RaZ0r! wrote on Jan 7, 2015, 19:28:
I really wouldn't put too much stock in the word of some low rent PC assembler.

I took the plunge last year and purchased an Origin PC (with many discounts) and I haven't been upset at all.

After 25+ years building PCs, there comes a time where you just want to piece together a system and have it work without fiddling, so I bit the bullet. I know it's a cardinal sin to purchase pre-builds, but in this case it was well worth it, and in the end I came out about 600-700 cheaper than if I were to piecemeal my own system together with the same hardware.

News Comments > Game Awards 2014 Winners
19. Re: Game Awards 2014 Winners Dec 6, 2014, 23:22 DarkCntry

Fletch wrote on Dec 6, 2014, 22:07:
Some of those awards sound like they were created for a specific game. "Trending gamer" is TotalBiscuit? What the fuck does that even mean, and why award it to some clueless, console-cuffing YouTuber?

As pointed out before, the original category was aimed more at personalities. As for the comment about console-cuffing, you are aware at who TotalBiscuit is, right?

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity DLC
4. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity DLC Nov 29, 2014, 14:54 DarkCntry

Fion wrote on Nov 29, 2014, 12:12:
Season Passes never include all the DLC when it's Ubisoft at the wheel.

Or Activison, or EA, or pretty much anyone when it comes to these things, most of them are pre-order 'bonuses'.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Blood Sport- The Ultimate in Immersive Gaming by Brand & Grotesque Kickstarter Nov 20, 2014, 12:04 DarkCntry

I was about to say something along "why the hell would this even be a thing", then noticed that it was something to raise awareness of blood donation via gaming events...

Outside of the stigma of obesity, poor health lifestyle, etc and what-not among gaming, this is actually a good idea. Although I do see some issue in regards to playing and being a 'loser'

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Launch Trailer
33. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Launch Trailer Nov 18, 2014, 04:12 DarkCntry

I'd love to play this, but for the first time I have run into a problem in regards to Origin.

Usually I've got no problem, but this time I had attempted to preload it all the way back on Friday when it went live to preload, today I still can't get the game to download without the damn thing's progress regressing to the point that I start going into the negatives and the status showing over 16 exabytes of stuff downloaded.

Yea, I know that's a overflow error, but still, I'm a bit miffed that I can't get this shit downloaded no matter what I do.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Dead Bug Live Blog
9. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Dead Bug Live Blog Nov 13, 2014, 11:35 DarkCntry

Deathman29 wrote on Nov 13, 2014, 11:24:
I have the game for the Xbox One and about 5-6 hours into it. I haven't found any bugs yet. Frame rate issues, there have been a few spots where it reaaaaly slows down, and it all dealt with the angle you were looking at a church in my case when I was hanging onto it.

Otherwise game runs good, frame rates I know aren't the best but totally playable from my stance on it.

Steam says I'm 14 hours played, and I've only hit one bug and it had to do with the actor mouths moving out-of-sync with the voices.

Playing on an i7-3770K, 16GB RAM, HD7970 on High quality...this marks the third game where a great amount of people have complained about the quality that is a complete 180 from my own experiences.

I'm almost afraid of when I finally do hit a game/program that does break, I'm sure it'll be glorious and I expect my system to implode.

News Comments > Star Trek Online Expands
23. Re: Star Trek Online Expands Oct 18, 2014, 23:07 DarkCntry

Acleacius wrote on Oct 18, 2014, 20:53:
Ooc, if most or all the game is F2P and not P2W what is the high price on packages? They custom skins and outfits for the ship and toons, normally bought in the Game Store (something like Secret World). I've never tried this mmog, read a little on the Release notes and the main site, but still don't understand.

Thanks

Basically the pack gives you 'boosts' to various aspects as well as the theme-specific ships for the races. You don't need anything in the pack to play the expansion, nor do you need anything in the pack to have enjoyment.

555 Comments. 28 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo