Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Trainwreck

Real Name Trainwreck   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Trainwreck
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 4, 2006, 06:58
Total Comments 151 (Novice)
User ID 24245

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

News Comments > Redshirt Video
7. Re: Redshirt Video Jul 21, 2013, 08:56 Trainwreck

I applaud any effort that takes us away from the extremely tired concept of massacring other human beings. This sounds like a fun concept to me, and yes, I'm a hardcore gamer.

And I'm not a Facebook whore or anything, but why all the hate for social media? Humans are social animals, and I think it's great that I can now keep in touch with people easier than before.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Fist Puncher
10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2013, 08:07 Trainwreck

Rigs wrote on Jun 23, 2013, 02:47:
Trainwreck wrote on Jun 22, 2013, 08:03:
Teddy wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 23:01:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 22:32:
Title is on par with "War Fighter"

Except one was trying to be serious.

"Warfighter" or "war fighter" is a serious buzzword used very often by the DOD and defense contractors. There is nothing odd or silly about its use as a game title; the game just happened to suck, is all.

*ahem*...I'll just leave this here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuNN1D-FCjs

=-Rigs-=

LOL and everything, but Yahtzee's ignorance of industry/governmental vernacular doesn't make it a legitimate criticism. It's similar to when some people think "Master Chief" sounds like a stupid name for a hero, when in fact that is an actual Naval rank.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Fist Puncher
6. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Fist Puncher Jun 22, 2013, 08:03 Trainwreck

Teddy wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 23:01:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 22:32:
Title is on par with "War Fighter"

Except one was trying to be serious.

"Warfighter" or "war fighter" is a serious buzzword used very often by the DOD and defense contractors. There is nothing odd or silly about its use as a game title; the game just happened to suck, is all.

News Comments > Deus Ex Human Revolution - Director's Cut Coming to PCs
24. Re: Deus Ex Human Revolution - Director's Cut Coming to PCs Jun 12, 2013, 19:22 Trainwreck

Does anyone know what the graphical updates are? I can't find specifics anywhere on what's different in that arena.  

News Comments > Primal Carnage Free Weekend
2. Re: Primal Carnage Free Weekend May 31, 2013, 11:13 Trainwreck

This game is like crack to me. I've been playing it since release and have logged nearly 95 hours. It's simple from a shooter standpoint, but the dino/human classes are well balanced. It's cheesy like a bad SyFy movie, which gives it a bit of charm.

I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to actually feel like a Rampaging T. rex!

News Comments > On Sale
13. Re: On Sale Mar 9, 2013, 10:25 Trainwreck

Should work fine using an encrypted tunnel or VPN in another county. Google it; I'm sure you can find such a service for free or very cheap.

As for GMG: I can't buy anything from them because my bank and credit cards all register them as an online gambling site. Apparently those are illegal (wtf?), so they won't authorize a purchase under any circumstance.

News Comments > Deus Ex Movie Details
31. Re: Deus Ex Movie Details Feb 21, 2013, 20:11 Trainwreck

Blade Runner is not really cyberpunk, aesthetics aside. Certainly, theres nothing cyberpunk wbout the source material. And if you guys had read the actual interview, you would know that the writers specifically did reference Gibson and Stephenson. A direct-to-movie adaptation would suck horribly, so the fact that they're avoiding this approach gives me some optimism about the project. Here's hoping this movie won't suck like every single game movie ever.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
14. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 26, 2012, 18:57 Trainwreck

With keyboard docking stations, mice, and even MS Office, tablets really are a viable option for school. I do a lot of online school, plus I deploy and/or am required to travel on short notice; a tablet with accessories would really lighten my load compared to my laptop.  

News Comments > Czech President Pleads for Jailed BiS Devs
22. Re: Czech President Pleads for Jailed BiS Devs Nov 22, 2012, 11:46 Trainwreck

Completely agreed; BadIronTree is correct. You can't take photos of sensitive military hardware, period. This isn't hypocrisy; it's about lives and military effectiveness. You SO NOT have the right to photograph military bases because it can provide adversaries, enemies, or terrorists with information about current operations as well as potential vulnerabilities. If you don't like that, boo fucking hoo. Cry me a river and tell me how you're being oppressed because you can't help others to assault the military.  

News Comments > Deus Ex Film Director & Writer
22. Re: Deus Ex Film Director & Writer Nov 16, 2012, 11:56 Trainwreck

This won't work. The entire point of Deus Ex is the choice that the player has in determining outcomes. People need to understand that adapting games to film doesn't elevate either artform; they are already distinct, complete media on their own.  

News Comments > Primal Carnage Free DLC Today
8. Re: Primal Carnage Free DLC Today Nov 15, 2012, 15:30 Trainwreck

It's a simple game, to be sure, but I'm having a blast playing it. It works great as an asymmetric shooter you can jump into, play around for half an hour, and jump out of again. And with the new DLC it's been getting, it's ony getting better. Maybe someday it won't be as rough around the edges.

But seriously, why complain at $15?

News Comments > MoH SEAL Consultants Reprimanded
33. Re: MoH SEAL Consultants Reprimanded Nov 9, 2012, 22:34 Trainwreck

Ah. How much experience do you have looking through EO/IR cameras, trying to discern everyday objects from weapons? In time-critical situations when troops have been in contact and an error in judgment will result in lives lost? Because I have plenty, myself, so I didn't want to embarrass myself if you had over 800 hours of combat flight time or something.

Anyway, the Apache video demonstrates - assuming the context is correct and WikiLeaks isn't lying with their commentary - is an unfortunate but completely understandable mistake given the situation.

As someone who has worked with those types of aircraft and ground forces extensively in various operations, I can attest to their professionalism and the seriousness with whic they assume their duties. AVOIDING civilian casualties in Afghanistan was our highest concern; to the point where we regularly risked the lives of our own before risking shooting or bombing the wrong person.

And do I view the GWOT as us vs. them? Yes, yes I do. That's what war is, and especially in this case, considering the tactics and goals of terrorists and Islamist governments, and their facilitators and sympathizers.

30. Re: MoH SEAL Consultants Reprimanded Nov 9, 2012, 21:29 Trainwreck

You can't be an ethically-minded person and do what Manning did. Nor can you apologize or justify it; it was just plain wrong. He didn't release them because he had some great concern for some great evil being perpetuated; he released them because he was disgruntled or had some anti-American feeling that took hold. He didnt have any knolwege that anything wrong was going on, or else I'm sure he would've released the damning documents themselves (which don't exist), rather than entire databases full of classified information. There are channels in place for whistleblowers to expose misconduct in the military, including classified channels which do not reveal our secrets to adversaries.

Regardless, releasing classified documents jeopardizes the mission by revealing our tactics, sources, future operations, the extent of our intelligence, our capabilities, etc. I guess if you think it's cool to put US military operations at risk, or put Coalition lives at greater risk, you can turn Manning into a folk hero. You'd have to hold a sincere belief that al Qaeda and the Taliban remnant are morally superior to US/NATO forces to do so, however.

As for the political side of your argument, I could not be less interested in discussing it with you. I'm neither Democrat nor Republican, and it's foolish to think that misconduct occurs on just one side of the aisle.

10. Re: MoH SEAL Consultants Reprimanded Nov 9, 2012, 12:45 Trainwreck

The SEALs should have sought the proper clearance from their chain of command and Navy public affairs before consulting, plain and simple. What they did was reveal their TTPs - many of which range from merely sensitive information all the way up to Secret and Top Secret. They deserve the Article 15s they were handed.

Being an Air Force enlisted aircrew operator myself, I wouldn't dare do what they did. I don't want anyone who shouldn't know our procedures and tactics to get a hold of them; it could help the enemy in very meaningful ways.

And the soldier who released buttloads of CLASSIFIED information to Wikileaks did it intentionally with the harm of hurting the US. It was an act of treason, and the sheer volume of information released warrants a heavy prison sentence, if not death. It is not comparable to what the SEALs did, and they received more than a slap on the wrist.

News Comments > StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm "99% Done"
34. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Jun 16, 2012, 11:35 Trainwreck

Wings of Liberty did have all three races; it just had one campaign. And that one campaign was longer than the original StarCraft campaign.

I was as shocked as anyone when they announced they'd be splitting the game into three installments, but honestly, they're doing a bang-up job so far in delivering content for the cash. I'm no Blizzard apologist (I'm not bashful in my criticism of Diablo III's DRM and World of Warcraft in general), but I don't feel fleeced by their treatment of StarCraft.

News Comments > etc., etc.
17. Re: etc., etc. Jun 14, 2012, 08:00 Trainwreck

Sadly, you're totally correct. Hell, since the dawn of man people have been interested primarily in nudity and violence for entertainment as well as life in general. Look back at Shakespeare, ancient Rome, or Greek tragedies for proof of this.

We may not be able to change this basic fact, but I don't have to celebrate it. I like violence and sex as much as anybody, but there's a point at which it becomes obscene. I often recall watching that old Saints Row 3 preview video in which the presenter giddily showed off how you can knock anybody in the crotch in the street or slap them with a big purple dildo. At what point did this become "cool"? Or even tolerable?

News Comments > etc., etc.
15. Re: etc., etc. Jun 14, 2012, 06:51 Trainwreck

I think you guys might be missing the point. Other forms of media (TV, books etc.) have established that they can handle subjects such as rape, mass murder, crime, etc. with maturity and subtlety (though they often fail, and should be criticized for it appropriately). I don't know that video games have proven the same.

That's not to say that I don't hope they do someday...I suppose recent entries like Deus Ex come close, but the fiction in even the best game worlds is largely garbage compared to the best that movies can offer. I for one am sick to death of constantly slaughtering everything in sight; successful independent developers seem to have caught on to the concept that games need a shift in focus. I just wish the AAA industry could understand that.

One thing I'm sick of is everyone saying, "Game X portrays women badly," but in fact, usually Game X portrays everyone pretty horribly. Everyone, especially gamers, should be up in arms over the assault on the senses that the AAA industry has become.

News Comments > Skyrim and D3D Antilag
10. Re: Skyrim and D3D Antilag Nov 27, 2011, 19:09 Trainwreck

I really don't understand the bitching about the UI. It's easy to use on the PC, and much better than both Oblivion's and Morrowind's. Much better than Fallout 3/NV as well. It's great how one can quickly equip and navigate menus without moving the left hand.

My biggest complaint is that sometimes it still prompts you for a yes/no answer that requires you to click "yes" with the mouse instead of just pressing "e" like some other options do. That, and I miss being able to instantly equip items with the number keys, but the favorites menu is definitely welcome.

News Comments > The Fighter Collection Plans
8. Re: The Fighter Collection Plans Nov 14, 2011, 13:13 Trainwreck

This sounds cool; I'm currently training as an MC-12 sensor operator and will soon have to coordinate with JTACs, A-10s, AC-130s, AH-64s, etc. in real-world, deployed missions. JTACs here are a good, professional group of dudes and I'm glad they're finally represented in a game.  

News Comments > Skyrim Wallpaper; Soundtrack Preorders
11. Re: Skyrim Wallpaper; Soundtrack Preorders Nov 3, 2011, 15:09 Trainwreck

Not to mention, huge Hollywood composers like Hans Zimmer have done soundtracks for games (Modern Warfare 2, I believe). I think we'll start to see much more bleedover once we get into the 2020s. Games have become hugely mainstream, and they're only going to become moreso as many of us enter our 40s next decade.

But yeah, Soule is brilliant. I especially loved his work on Oblivion and Supreme Commander. Sometimes I listen to the SupCom theme in my car, lol.

151 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo