Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rilcon

Real Name Rilcon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rilcon
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 2, 2005, 23:20
Total Comments 205 (Novice)
User ID 24143

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

News Comments > Crytek Responds to Crysis 2 Leak
103. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 12, 2011, 23:32 Rilcon

I would seriously like to hear how some of you would improve internal security so as to avoid the possibility of leaks, if were to go ahead and decide to exclude all external QA, focus groups, localization studios, investor showings, re/preview and ratings boards, and plant the blame squarely on someone inside Crytek.

Because, I honestly have no idea about how things are run elsewhere, but in the studios I've worked in, every employee has a DVD burner, and nearly every PC has access to builds, either via P4/other SVN or just via network drives. And people are constantly burning disks, especially if consoles or installers are in any way involved. Basically, unless you decide to check everyone's bags on leaving the office, along with a thorough pat down (USB drives are both large and tiny these days), I don't see any effective way of avoiding something like this happening. Unsuprisingly enough, despite how easy it would be to just take a build back home and upload it from some netcafe, it's rarely done.

Anyway, my bet is on someone outside of Crytek having done it. My favourite pick would be a ratings board contractor, or someone on a 6 month QA contract that just went "fuck this shit" (I'm amazed EA and others still even find people that want those contracts).

Yes yes, useless rant, missing the point, whatever.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

59. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 12, 2011, 18:43 Rilcon

wtf_man wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 18:38:
Suddenly_Dead wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 16:34:
And thereafter it was redistributed and downloaded solely by... internal persons?

... and the PC gaming community controls the Internet?

There is no way to control asshats on the Internet. So Blaming PC gamers for all those downloads is a load of BS... especially since a majority of them aren't legitimate purchasers to begin with... so the "translated lost sales" (for their own dumb ass mistake) is way WAY overblown.

It's a bunch of BS, and Crytek WANTS an excuse to dump the PC market.... so, again... (from the other thread on this topic) I say let them... and good riddance.

/shrug

What they said with this release was "Piracy continues to damage the PC packaged goods market and the PC development community." That doesn't blame anyone but pirates; doesn't mention PC gamers, PC community or anything of the sort.

57. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 12, 2011, 18:37 Rilcon

scorpius wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 18:32:
PropheT wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 18:26:
That's a legitimate contender for the most asinine thing I've ever read here.

Someone steals your stuff, it's your fault for not locking it up better? You seriously don't think the fault lies with the person who stole it?
You must be be equally enraged by the policies of insurance companies who _demand_ that you lock up your stuff, otherwise you simple don't get payed.

Almost everyone blames the guy who fails to lock his car for his own stupidity, but this analogy somehow shouldn't hold up in this case?

You're making it out like Crytek put this on their own torrent site are are shocked people started downloading it.

45. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 12, 2011, 18:01 Rilcon

scorpius wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 17:46:
Rilcon wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 17:27:
That there was an internal build leaked is someone's fault (and jesus christ there are a lot of potential culprits, from Crytek, localization studios, USK/ESRB/PEGI whatever, loads). However, that there are people out there downloading and playing it, that's piracy.
But that's not the issue here, they seem to blame it on piracy, while (i must make an assumption here) the leak was due to an internal fault (bad security/etc).

You can argue that downloading a leaked build is equally wrong, and i agree on that, but that does not withstand that blame of the the leak does not lie on the ones that do.

One would wonder if the same kind of statement would have been made if a console build was leaked.

If it were just leaked, there would be a torrent with a single seed available. While I haven't actually checked, I'm going to go ahead and assume that the torrents for this are quite popular and healthy. The people after the first seeder, them be pirates, they have nothing to do with Crytek and their lot; they just want a free game. Well, I'm guessing there are those that want to see if the game actually runs on their system, want an early demo or are just curious, but anyway.

36. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 12, 2011, 17:27 Rilcon

That there was an internal build leaked is someone's fault (and jesus christ there are a lot of potential culprits, from Crytek, localization studios, USK/ESRB/PEGI whatever, loads). However, that there are people out there downloading and playing it, that's piracy.

How much piracy affects sales is something else, but the game is being pirated.

And yes, people do pirate games on consoles as well, and quite a bit at that.

News Comments > A Valley Without Wind Trailer and Q&A
4. Re: A Valley Without Wind Trailer and Q&A Feb 12, 2011, 02:12 Rilcon

Ah, ye fickle faggots. People complain about the lack of innovation and how gameplay should be the most important thing ever, but god forbid someone focus on the gameplay and leave the graphics as an afterthought!

Whatever, people have hated on MC and DF without caring one bit about the actual game; this seems like it'll be the same.

And yes, mindless rage etc. Graphics whores are one of the worst things to happen to gaming.

News Comments > Bulletstorm Censored in Germany
1. Re: Bulletstorm Censored in Germany Feb 9, 2011, 11:13 Rilcon

Word is the German version the game will not include ragdoll effects, blood, splatter, and dismembering.

That's over half the selling points gone in a puff of CENSORED signs.

News Comments > Treyarch on Bugs
12. Re: Treyarch on Bugs Feb 9, 2011, 09:45 Rilcon

Can and want are two very different things, especially when money and deadlines are involved. Also, for network issues, you have to take into account a whole lot of things out of the consoles' control. There are some fancy 1st and 3rd party tools to help with network testing, but there's always something that's either missed, or pegged as potentially only affecting 0.01% of potential players (which for a game like CoD, is still a lot).  

News Comments > Fallout on Impulse
4. Re: Fallout on Impulse Feb 9, 2011, 05:11 Rilcon

Pretty sure it's the publisher that sets the price. Impulse's take might be higher than the rest and they raise it because of that. Or they think its market has more money or something (Impulse does sell a lot of non-game apps).  

News Comments > Treyarch on Bugs
7. Re: Treyarch on Bugs Feb 9, 2011, 04:56 Rilcon

Contrary to popular belief, QA does find most bugs people later complain about. It's just that most of them end up as "can't / won't fix", or "as designed". Platform holders let publishers get away with a certain amount of bugs in games, some of them quite nasty, and the publisher doesn't actually tell them what issues are known; and of course, the developer doesn't tell the publisher about the issues they know about.

It's all a fun game of "shit, we have to release next month or everyone gets fired". If you want to blame someone, blame investors asking for massive returns, publishers setting short deadlines and producers for caving in and giving little to know time for bugfixing. Also gamers for wanting new games NOW NOW NOW.

News Comments > Ridge Racer Unbounded Announced
1. Re: Ridge Racer Unbounded Feb 5, 2011, 15:26 Rilcon

Going by the newsblurb, it's Burnout Paradise. That said, Bugbear did make the Flatouts, and those were excellent fun.  

News Comments > Saints Row 3 in Autumn
5. Re: Saints Row 3 in Autumn Feb 3, 2011, 10:58 Rilcon

First two are good fun if you prefer the over the top-ness of GTA3:SA instead of the (relative) srsbsns of GTAIV. Hopefully the PC version will feel better than SR2, that had some annoying performance issues on my system :-/  

News Comments > Magicka Patched
7. Re: Magicka Patched Jan 29, 2011, 07:35 Rilcon

Even with all the bugs dragging it down, game delivers a whole lot more fun than most "AAA" 40euro games out there.  

News Comments > Magicka and Demo Now Available
7. Re: Magicka and Demo Now Available Jan 25, 2011, 14:54 Rilcon

Tried demo and bought, was hilariously good fun.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
4. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 23, 2011, 19:31 Rilcon

Except oddly enough DS1 is available uncut both on Steam and normal shops.

Germany is fucking weird.

News Comments > The Sims Medieval Trailer
4. Re: The Sims Medieval Trailer Jan 5, 2011, 02:51 Rilcon

It gives me some hope that the trailer mentions assassins. That and a Sarlac pit. I am torn; on one hand I want to watch my virtual townfolk wither and die to the plague, their little hopes-and-dream targets changing to "stay alive one more day", etc. On the other hand, it's the Sims.  

News Comments > Activision Threatens UK Over Tax Breaks
2. Re: Activision Threatens UK Over Tax Breaks Jan 3, 2011, 10:17 Rilcon

To be fair, tax cuts would also benefit smaller third party developers and even startup indies.  

News Comments > No XP Battlefield 3?
23. Re: No XP Battlefield 3? Jan 2, 2011, 15:40 Rilcon

The 360 does not use the DX9 PCs used, it uses it's own special version that had DX10 features included before DX10 was actually released. If the game relies on some of those features too heavily (say for vegetation or some sort of focus when aiming, or just some speed optimization), then it is a lot easier to just not support DX9.

I have been there, a game I worked on needed a DX10 feature for gameplay reasons, but it also needed to work on DX9. So we had two versions of the same feature, and the DX9 one looked worse and affected performance to the point other visual features had to be cut.

I really like the freedom of being a PC gamer (my system, my settings, etc.), but that freedom comes at a cost to the developler. Not to say developing on console is any better, what with needing to license dev/test kits, all the TRC/TCR/lot checks to comform to, the aging hardware limitiations and the holder cuts and all that.

News Comments > Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum on Steam
18. Re: Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum on Steam Dec 28, 2010, 04:21 Rilcon

I quite liked NWN2 and its expansions, damnit. IMO, people have no concept of what a "bad game" really is. Go pick up a copy of Shellshock 2 or Rogue Warrior, see how that turns out.  

News Comments > More Legal Fallout
12. Re: More Legal Fallout Dec 23, 2010, 14:05 Rilcon

Someone please explain to me why Interplay gets so much hate. I canīt really remember what happened between them releasing good games and them half-dying.  

205 Comments. 11 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo