Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rilcon

Real Name Rilcon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rilcon
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 2, 2005, 23:20
Total Comments 195 (Novice)
User ID 24143

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > Unreal Engine 3 Adding DirectX 11 Support
20. Re: Unreal Engine 3 Adding DirectX 11 Support Mar 2, 2011, 04:52 Rilcon

I like how people blame UE3 for a lot of things that the developer using the engine has total control over. It's like blaming steel for my car being an ugly shade of yellow.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Magicka: Vietnam Announced
5. Re: Magicka: Vietnam Announced Mar 1, 2011, 14:37 Rilcon

\o/  

News Comments > Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad Music Samples
6. Re: Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad Music Samples Feb 28, 2011, 02:10 Rilcon

I was under the general and likely misguided impression we'd see RO2 before mid-year.

Music samples were really nice, but I can't really see myself playing with music in MP; being able to accurately hear and tell the distance and direction of footsteps, shouts and gunfire is kind of important and such. Hopefully the SP is worth more than just TDM vs bots.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
3. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Feb 27, 2011, 18:18 Rilcon

AnointedSword wrote on Feb 27, 2011, 17:39:
I can see you are trying to twist this into a foxnews thing, Blue. Maybe foxnews is the only channel that lets everyone get heard? Like it or not there are parents out there that do not want their children seeing garbage like that. Let us paint a truthful picture...

notsureifsrs.jpg

News Comments > No Bulletstorm Editor
5. Re: No Bulletstorm Editor Feb 16, 2011, 11:34 Rilcon

The tools already available for commercial use. DAMN YOU EPIC AND YOUR EXCUSES, DAMN YOU!  

News Comments > Paxton Fettel Playable Solo in F.E.A.R. 3
14. Re: Paxton Fettel Playable Solo in F.E.A.R. 3 Feb 14, 2011, 23:03 Rilcon

Monolith isn't behind this, Day 1 Studios is. And Monolith didn't do any of the Fear expansions, either.  

News Comments > Paxton Fettel Playable Solo in F.E.A.R. 3
2. Re: Paxton Fettel Playable Solo in F.E.A.R. 3 Feb 14, 2011, 13:31 Rilcon

MajorD wrote on Feb 14, 2011, 13:21:
WTF, did they build this game on the Half-Life 1 engine, or are the screen shots and trailer from an XBox 1? Is it me, or do the graphics look terrible in comparison to F.E.A.R. 2? YAK!!!

I played F.E.A.R., along with the expansion packs, and F.E.A.R. 2, but haven't been too excited about this one from the start. Based on these screenies and trailer, they have just confirmed my decision as a 'No Go' on this one.

Get your eyes checked, you graphics whore. You and your filthy, fickle, "eye candy foremost" ilk are among the worst things afflicting games today.

News Comments > Crytek Responds to Crysis 2 Leak
155. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 13, 2011, 11:30 Rilcon

Jerykk wrote on Feb 13, 2011, 02:29:
Does Crytek actually plan to publically release a level editor for Crysis 2? I haven't read anything about it.

Well I was assuming they would and am hoping they do.

As for thw whole piracy thing, my take is that the percentage of sales lost to piracy is bordering on insignificant. Most just want a free game, and if they're not getting it free they're just not getting it at all. Others just want to play the game they already bought / intend to buy as soon as possible, and frankly why not, if they've already handed down the money. And lastly some will pirate a game to try it out if there's no demo (or the demo was severely limited) and either buy or stop playing after an hour; any sales "lost" from this group are, IMO, deserved.

My problem with piracy is the "games for free" lot, and simply because they're taking for free what others pay for with hard earned cash or work on for years. It's just massively douchey.

Also, don't know about the US, but in Europe, ever since I have memory of seeing PC games in stores (1996ish I think), they've been priced pretty much the same, with a large peak in the late 90s where various games were in the $100 area. If anything games as a whole have gotten cheaper, while the "AAA" titles have kept the same price.

129. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 13, 2011, 02:03 Rilcon

Jerykk wrote on Feb 13, 2011, 01:31:
ESRB I don't know, but USK does get full builds, at various point in development, and they're handed to randomly selected contractors. As for QA, who do you think tests the level editor? Or the installer / DRM?

Does the USK review every multiplatform game on each platform it's available for? I highly doubt it. X360 is the lead SKU for Crysis 2 and therefore, if any build was submitted for rating, it would most likely have been a relatively stable X360 build, not an unstable PC build that requires file editing just to run. And again, Crytek wouldn't have sent the DRM master key and level editor to ratings boards. Finally, ratings builds are submitted long before a game goes gold. The build that was leaked was created in January, I believe, and with the game being released in March, that wouldn't leave enough time for potential content changes if EA didn't get the rating it desired.

As for the level editor, testing of that is usually up to the level designers. They simply use the editor and let the tools programmers know when they find a bug or need a new feature and the programmers get to work. Some devs have dedicated tools testers but it's pretty rare and I see no mention of any in the Crysis credits. EA definitely wouldn't have any QA assigned to the tools either.

And finally, you don't need a master key to test DRM. Testers are typically assigned individual keys, not master keys.

If this was simply the Gold Master build, then there are any number of sources where it could have been leaked. QA, reviewers, disc manufacturers, retailers, etc. However, this is obviously not a GM build and the presence of a level editor and DRM master key strongly suggest that this was an internal leak at Crytek.

They do for everything published in germany. And in the cases where they can review a PC game or a console game, my bet is they'd get the PC version simply because the contractors don't have test kits and I doubt the publisher wants to send signed incomplete builds around. Anyway, if the build really is as incomplete or require significant messing around with, then it likely wasn't them, then.

And level editors and anything that eventually lands in the hands of the public goes through QA; it's not the actual in-depth internal tools testing, but basic stabilty and compatibility testing for the public releast tools simply has to be done.

My experiences are based on internal QA, where I had immediate access to everything. Now, the thing is I was fulltime permanent, but EA likes to hire people on cheap as chips 6 month contracts and place them with the dev team, gives them a fancy name like "embedded QA". Now these guys have all the access as the regular QA, but none of the loyalty (and why would they, EA is terrible employer). So yeah, if it was an internal leak, and it does seem that it was, my bet is on temp QA or someone else already on their way out with a grudge. Basically, something you can't really prevent.

I think, all in all, this is by far the most pointless "discussion" I've ever been in.

107. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 13, 2011, 00:01 Rilcon

ESRB I don't know, but USK does get full builds, at various point in development, and they're handed to randomly selected contractors. As for QA, who do you think tests the level editor? Or the installer / DRM?  

103. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 12, 2011, 23:32 Rilcon

I would seriously like to hear how some of you would improve internal security so as to avoid the possibility of leaks, if were to go ahead and decide to exclude all external QA, focus groups, localization studios, investor showings, re/preview and ratings boards, and plant the blame squarely on someone inside Crytek.

Because, I honestly have no idea about how things are run elsewhere, but in the studios I've worked in, every employee has a DVD burner, and nearly every PC has access to builds, either via P4/other SVN or just via network drives. And people are constantly burning disks, especially if consoles or installers are in any way involved. Basically, unless you decide to check everyone's bags on leaving the office, along with a thorough pat down (USB drives are both large and tiny these days), I don't see any effective way of avoiding something like this happening. Unsuprisingly enough, despite how easy it would be to just take a build back home and upload it from some netcafe, it's rarely done.

Anyway, my bet is on someone outside of Crytek having done it. My favourite pick would be a ratings board contractor, or someone on a 6 month QA contract that just went "fuck this shit" (I'm amazed EA and others still even find people that want those contracts).

Yes yes, useless rant, missing the point, whatever.

59. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 12, 2011, 18:43 Rilcon

wtf_man wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 18:38:
Suddenly_Dead wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 16:34:
And thereafter it was redistributed and downloaded solely by... internal persons?

... and the PC gaming community controls the Internet?

There is no way to control asshats on the Internet. So Blaming PC gamers for all those downloads is a load of BS... especially since a majority of them aren't legitimate purchasers to begin with... so the "translated lost sales" (for their own dumb ass mistake) is way WAY overblown.

It's a bunch of BS, and Crytek WANTS an excuse to dump the PC market.... so, again... (from the other thread on this topic) I say let them... and good riddance.

/shrug

What they said with this release was "Piracy continues to damage the PC packaged goods market and the PC development community." That doesn't blame anyone but pirates; doesn't mention PC gamers, PC community or anything of the sort.

57. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 12, 2011, 18:37 Rilcon

scorpius wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 18:32:
PropheT wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 18:26:
That's a legitimate contender for the most asinine thing I've ever read here.

Someone steals your stuff, it's your fault for not locking it up better? You seriously don't think the fault lies with the person who stole it?
You must be be equally enraged by the policies of insurance companies who _demand_ that you lock up your stuff, otherwise you simple don't get payed.

Almost everyone blames the guy who fails to lock his car for his own stupidity, but this analogy somehow shouldn't hold up in this case?

You're making it out like Crytek put this on their own torrent site are are shocked people started downloading it.

45. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 12, 2011, 18:01 Rilcon

scorpius wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 17:46:
Rilcon wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 17:27:
That there was an internal build leaked is someone's fault (and jesus christ there are a lot of potential culprits, from Crytek, localization studios, USK/ESRB/PEGI whatever, loads). However, that there are people out there downloading and playing it, that's piracy.
But that's not the issue here, they seem to blame it on piracy, while (i must make an assumption here) the leak was due to an internal fault (bad security/etc).

You can argue that downloading a leaked build is equally wrong, and i agree on that, but that does not withstand that blame of the the leak does not lie on the ones that do.

One would wonder if the same kind of statement would have been made if a console build was leaked.

If it were just leaked, there would be a torrent with a single seed available. While I haven't actually checked, I'm going to go ahead and assume that the torrents for this are quite popular and healthy. The people after the first seeder, them be pirates, they have nothing to do with Crytek and their lot; they just want a free game. Well, I'm guessing there are those that want to see if the game actually runs on their system, want an early demo or are just curious, but anyway.

36. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 12, 2011, 17:27 Rilcon

That there was an internal build leaked is someone's fault (and jesus christ there are a lot of potential culprits, from Crytek, localization studios, USK/ESRB/PEGI whatever, loads). However, that there are people out there downloading and playing it, that's piracy.

How much piracy affects sales is something else, but the game is being pirated.

And yes, people do pirate games on consoles as well, and quite a bit at that.

News Comments > A Valley Without Wind Trailer and Q&A
4. Re: A Valley Without Wind Trailer and Q&A Feb 12, 2011, 02:12 Rilcon

Ah, ye fickle faggots. People complain about the lack of innovation and how gameplay should be the most important thing ever, but god forbid someone focus on the gameplay and leave the graphics as an afterthought!

Whatever, people have hated on MC and DF without caring one bit about the actual game; this seems like it'll be the same.

And yes, mindless rage etc. Graphics whores are one of the worst things to happen to gaming.

News Comments > Bulletstorm Censored in Germany
1. Re: Bulletstorm Censored in Germany Feb 9, 2011, 11:13 Rilcon

Word is the German version the game will not include ragdoll effects, blood, splatter, and dismembering.

That's over half the selling points gone in a puff of CENSORED signs.

News Comments > Treyarch on Bugs
12. Re: Treyarch on Bugs Feb 9, 2011, 09:45 Rilcon

Can and want are two very different things, especially when money and deadlines are involved. Also, for network issues, you have to take into account a whole lot of things out of the consoles' control. There are some fancy 1st and 3rd party tools to help with network testing, but there's always something that's either missed, or pegged as potentially only affecting 0.01% of potential players (which for a game like CoD, is still a lot).  

News Comments > Fallout on Impulse
4. Re: Fallout on Impulse Feb 9, 2011, 05:11 Rilcon

Pretty sure it's the publisher that sets the price. Impulse's take might be higher than the rest and they raise it because of that. Or they think its market has more money or something (Impulse does sell a lot of non-game apps).  

News Comments > Treyarch on Bugs
7. Re: Treyarch on Bugs Feb 9, 2011, 04:56 Rilcon

Contrary to popular belief, QA does find most bugs people later complain about. It's just that most of them end up as "can't / won't fix", or "as designed". Platform holders let publishers get away with a certain amount of bugs in games, some of them quite nasty, and the publisher doesn't actually tell them what issues are known; and of course, the developer doesn't tell the publisher about the issues they know about.

It's all a fun game of "shit, we have to release next month or everyone gets fired". If you want to blame someone, blame investors asking for massive returns, publishers setting short deadlines and producers for caving in and giving little to know time for bugfixing. Also gamers for wanting new games NOW NOW NOW.

195 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo