Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rilcon

Real Name Rilcon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rilcon
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 2, 2005, 23:20
Total Comments 205 (Novice)
User ID 24143

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

News Comments > Free Mass Effect 2 for Dragon Age II Owners [Updated]
46. Re: Free Mass Effect 2 for Dragon Age II Owners [Updated] Apr 6, 2011, 07:31 Rilcon

Because "you're either with us or can gtfo" is so much better. Who made Team Bitter the shot callers around here?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Free Mass Effect 2 for Dragon Age II Owners [Updated] Apr 6, 2011, 07:07 Rilcon

InBlack wrote on Apr 6, 2011, 07:01:
Kobalt wrote on Apr 6, 2011, 06:08:
I realize the average gamer that frequent site like this is a large spoiled manchild, but this is kind of ridiculous. I really hope I never become such a bitter, cynical waste of air that I bitch about something free.

You would prefer to bitch about large adult manchildren you encounter on anonymous newsboards rather?

To you and all the other Blues' haters, either Shut the Fuck Up or Get the Fuck Out. Thank you.

Bitch, make me.

38. Re: Free Mass Effect 2 for Dragon Age II Owners [Updated] Apr 6, 2011, 05:14 Rilcon

Jesus christ, this site is full of bitter little shits. DA2 wasn't a real cRPG or comparable to BG2, but it's a damn good game. I could write a book on all the things I detest about it, but it's still a good game.

If I were one of these "AAA" devs, I'd make console and facebook only games just to spite you entitled whiney brats.

News Comments > PCGA: PC Gaming Resurgence
7. Re: PCGA: PC Gaming Resurgence Apr 5, 2011, 10:57 Rilcon

You guys gotta keep in mind that when these people say games, they include stuff like facebook games, a gillion F2P games from Asia, every Pop-cap style casual game ever released, etc.

"AAA" titles, the type sites like this cover, are by number and also by revenue not the largest part of gaming.

News Comments > Choplifter HD Announced
7. Re: Choplifter HD Announced Mar 29, 2011, 02:07 Rilcon

The original was one of my favourites on the C64, lots of fun dodging fighter jet missiles and UFOs.  

News Comments > Hitman 5 Image?
2. Re: Hitman 5 Image? Mar 21, 2011, 20:41 Rilcon

I just hope it comes out.

Well, and that it's still a Hitman game.

News Comments > Portal 2 TV Spot
6. Re: Portal 2 TV Spot Mar 18, 2011, 05:39 Rilcon

Jerykk wrote on Mar 18, 2011, 03:01:
I kinda wish they had made the WIN/MAC logo a bit bigger. It's ridiculously tiny compared to the Xbox and PS3 logos. I can't imagine anyone actually being able to read it on a TV from 8 feet away, especially given the short duration in which it's shown. If I was an ignorant consumer whose sole knowledge of Portal 2 was this ad, I'd have no idea it was coming out on PC or Mac.

Indeed, had to pause it to actually see the damn thing. It really should mention Steam, I think, with the same prominence the the consoles.

News Comments > Quote of the Day
5. Re: Quote of the Day Mar 15, 2011, 22:21 Rilcon

Should've kept the whiney brat banned. Steam has rules, don't like them, don't use Steam.  

News Comments > EA ♥s Fox News
14. Re: EA &#9829;s Fox News Mar 15, 2011, 03:38 Rilcon

AnointedSword wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 03:07:
I like foxnews because they are one of the less left leaning networks out there.

I really can't tell if I'm getting trolled here. I kind of hope so, though.

News Comments > Unreal Engine 3 Adding DirectX 11 Support
23. Re: Unreal Engine 3 Adding DirectX 11 Support Mar 2, 2011, 11:19 Rilcon

Kajetan wrote on Mar 2, 2011, 05:57:
Rilcon wrote on Mar 2, 2011, 04:52:
I like how people blame UE3 for a lot of things that the developer using the engine has total control over. It's like blaming steel for my car being an ugly shade of yellow.
Maybe. But are there so many devs out there, who dont know how to use this engine without said problems?

I myself turn off most shaders in UE3 games, because i can't stand all this overbright highlights and forced focus depth. Features, which i have no problem with in games, which use other rendering engines.

Short answer: Yes.

Slightly longer answer: it comes with premade shaders (amongst many other things) that I'm guessing Epic like themselves, and many people just use those, maybe with some minor tweaks. But you have the power to change those things if you want to.

News Comments > Unreal Engine 3 Adding DirectX 11 Support
20. Re: Unreal Engine 3 Adding DirectX 11 Support Mar 2, 2011, 04:52 Rilcon

I like how people blame UE3 for a lot of things that the developer using the engine has total control over. It's like blaming steel for my car being an ugly shade of yellow.  

News Comments > Magicka: Vietnam Announced
5. Re: Magicka: Vietnam Announced Mar 1, 2011, 14:37 Rilcon

\o/  

News Comments > Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad Music Samples
6. Re: Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad Music Samples Feb 28, 2011, 02:10 Rilcon

I was under the general and likely misguided impression we'd see RO2 before mid-year.

Music samples were really nice, but I can't really see myself playing with music in MP; being able to accurately hear and tell the distance and direction of footsteps, shouts and gunfire is kind of important and such. Hopefully the SP is worth more than just TDM vs bots.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
3. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Feb 27, 2011, 18:18 Rilcon

AnointedSword wrote on Feb 27, 2011, 17:39:
I can see you are trying to twist this into a foxnews thing, Blue. Maybe foxnews is the only channel that lets everyone get heard? Like it or not there are parents out there that do not want their children seeing garbage like that. Let us paint a truthful picture...

notsureifsrs.jpg

News Comments > No Bulletstorm Editor
5. Re: No Bulletstorm Editor Feb 16, 2011, 11:34 Rilcon

The tools already available for commercial use. DAMN YOU EPIC AND YOUR EXCUSES, DAMN YOU!  

News Comments > Paxton Fettel Playable Solo in F.E.A.R. 3
14. Re: Paxton Fettel Playable Solo in F.E.A.R. 3 Feb 14, 2011, 23:03 Rilcon

Monolith isn't behind this, Day 1 Studios is. And Monolith didn't do any of the Fear expansions, either.  

News Comments > Paxton Fettel Playable Solo in F.E.A.R. 3
2. Re: Paxton Fettel Playable Solo in F.E.A.R. 3 Feb 14, 2011, 13:31 Rilcon

MajorD wrote on Feb 14, 2011, 13:21:
WTF, did they build this game on the Half-Life 1 engine, or are the screen shots and trailer from an XBox 1? Is it me, or do the graphics look terrible in comparison to F.E.A.R. 2? YAK!!!

I played F.E.A.R., along with the expansion packs, and F.E.A.R. 2, but haven't been too excited about this one from the start. Based on these screenies and trailer, they have just confirmed my decision as a 'No Go' on this one.

Get your eyes checked, you graphics whore. You and your filthy, fickle, "eye candy foremost" ilk are among the worst things afflicting games today.

News Comments > Crytek Responds to Crysis 2 Leak
155. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 13, 2011, 11:30 Rilcon

Jerykk wrote on Feb 13, 2011, 02:29:
Does Crytek actually plan to publically release a level editor for Crysis 2? I haven't read anything about it.

Well I was assuming they would and am hoping they do.

As for thw whole piracy thing, my take is that the percentage of sales lost to piracy is bordering on insignificant. Most just want a free game, and if they're not getting it free they're just not getting it at all. Others just want to play the game they already bought / intend to buy as soon as possible, and frankly why not, if they've already handed down the money. And lastly some will pirate a game to try it out if there's no demo (or the demo was severely limited) and either buy or stop playing after an hour; any sales "lost" from this group are, IMO, deserved.

My problem with piracy is the "games for free" lot, and simply because they're taking for free what others pay for with hard earned cash or work on for years. It's just massively douchey.

Also, don't know about the US, but in Europe, ever since I have memory of seeing PC games in stores (1996ish I think), they've been priced pretty much the same, with a large peak in the late 90s where various games were in the $100 area. If anything games as a whole have gotten cheaper, while the "AAA" titles have kept the same price.

129. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 13, 2011, 02:03 Rilcon

Jerykk wrote on Feb 13, 2011, 01:31:
ESRB I don't know, but USK does get full builds, at various point in development, and they're handed to randomly selected contractors. As for QA, who do you think tests the level editor? Or the installer / DRM?

Does the USK review every multiplatform game on each platform it's available for? I highly doubt it. X360 is the lead SKU for Crysis 2 and therefore, if any build was submitted for rating, it would most likely have been a relatively stable X360 build, not an unstable PC build that requires file editing just to run. And again, Crytek wouldn't have sent the DRM master key and level editor to ratings boards. Finally, ratings builds are submitted long before a game goes gold. The build that was leaked was created in January, I believe, and with the game being released in March, that wouldn't leave enough time for potential content changes if EA didn't get the rating it desired.

As for the level editor, testing of that is usually up to the level designers. They simply use the editor and let the tools programmers know when they find a bug or need a new feature and the programmers get to work. Some devs have dedicated tools testers but it's pretty rare and I see no mention of any in the Crysis credits. EA definitely wouldn't have any QA assigned to the tools either.

And finally, you don't need a master key to test DRM. Testers are typically assigned individual keys, not master keys.

If this was simply the Gold Master build, then there are any number of sources where it could have been leaked. QA, reviewers, disc manufacturers, retailers, etc. However, this is obviously not a GM build and the presence of a level editor and DRM master key strongly suggest that this was an internal leak at Crytek.

They do for everything published in germany. And in the cases where they can review a PC game or a console game, my bet is they'd get the PC version simply because the contractors don't have test kits and I doubt the publisher wants to send signed incomplete builds around. Anyway, if the build really is as incomplete or require significant messing around with, then it likely wasn't them, then.

And level editors and anything that eventually lands in the hands of the public goes through QA; it's not the actual in-depth internal tools testing, but basic stabilty and compatibility testing for the public releast tools simply has to be done.

My experiences are based on internal QA, where I had immediate access to everything. Now, the thing is I was fulltime permanent, but EA likes to hire people on cheap as chips 6 month contracts and place them with the dev team, gives them a fancy name like "embedded QA". Now these guys have all the access as the regular QA, but none of the loyalty (and why would they, EA is terrible employer). So yeah, if it was an internal leak, and it does seem that it was, my bet is on temp QA or someone else already on their way out with a grudge. Basically, something you can't really prevent.

I think, all in all, this is by far the most pointless "discussion" I've ever been in.

107. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 13, 2011, 00:01 Rilcon

ESRB I don't know, but USK does get full builds, at various point in development, and they're handed to randomly selected contractors. As for QA, who do you think tests the level editor? Or the installer / DRM?  

205 Comments. 11 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo