Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rilcon

Real Name Rilcon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rilcon
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 2, 2005, 23:20
Total Comments 195 (Novice)
User ID 24143

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > Dead Rising 3 Speculation
3. Re: Dead Rising 3 Speculation Apr 11, 2011, 16:05 Rilcon

My bet's on inner-city area. Looking forward to it either way, both DRs were fun times.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Portal/Portal 2 Comic Part 1
6. Re: Portal/Portal 2 Comic Part 1 Apr 9, 2011, 22:56 Rilcon

Lorcin wrote on Apr 9, 2011, 21:11:
I want my 3 minutes back

What happened, someone burst into your room and steal them from you? Poor soul, so powerless and unable to resist those mean mean people .

News Comments > Free Mass Effect 2 for Dragon Age II Owners [Updated]
77. Re: Free Mass Effect 2 for Dragon Age II Owners [Updated] Apr 6, 2011, 16:44 Rilcon

Verno wrote on Apr 6, 2011, 16:18:
and the areas were cut off / reshaped enough that the gameplay in them felt different

That doesn't make any sense to me. In many of the retreads the only differences are things like a stone door that is totally out of place in the environment itself anyway. There are something like 8 total quest environmental templates that are repeated ad nauseum. How does the gameplay feel different when you are still playing in the exact same area?

I thought you didn't buy it? Anyway, the entry and exit points also moved around, as well as the actual encounters, of course. And yes, that's enough for me, I guess I just have low standards.

75. Re: Free Mass Effect 2 for Dragon Age II Owners [Updated] Apr 6, 2011, 16:15 Rilcon

Jerykk wrote on Apr 6, 2011, 15:22:

Eh? Doesn't Varric or that Chantry chick refer to you as "The Champion of Kirkwall" in the intro cinematic? That made it pretty obvious to me. In any case, the game doesn't really have much of a story. It's basically a collection of random sidequests. The big time jumps are also a big failure. In an RPG, you are supposed to identify with your character. He/she shouldn't know or do anything outside of your control. However, in the time jumps, this is exactly what happens. After each jump, your character suddenly knows characters and events that you don't. It completely detaches you from your character and the story. Then there was the total lack of choice and consequence. Nothing you did really mattered and there weren't any interesting moral choices. Everything was pretty clear-cut, especially with the Nice/Sarcastic/Angry dialogue system.

Well of course you know, you're the player, you have the allmighty quicksave/load ability. I meant more that the character doesn't know, that his goals aren't aimed at saving the entire universe/country. The jumping forward bothered me a bit, not because I wasn't playing through it but because it seems only a few things changed over the course of several years; saying "2 months pass" after every chapter would have felt a lot better. As for choices, I can't honestly say it was any better or worse than past cRPGs; I adore previous BW games like BG2 and KotOR, and it felt pretty much the same (2-3 different endings and the result of sidequests being mostly esthetic or the difference between X money or Y XP).

The presentation was solid, except for the fact that the game presents the same exact areas and enemies over and over and over again. You can only go into the same basement or cave so many times before it starts getting old. And Kirkwall is a pretty bland and boring place. Unfortunately, you spend about 90% of the game there. It's amazing that the DAO expansion pack had more variety than the full sequel.

I really didn't mind repeat areas or enemies, and had no issues with Kirkwall itself, but am really not picky about grapics and the areas were cut off / reshaped enough that the gameplay in them felt different.

Partially agreed there. While the core combat mechanics are enjoyable on Nightmare difficulty, the combat encounters themselves are just incredibly half-assed. Enemies just stand around in a big group until you trigger them, then after you kill most of them 10 more enemies spawn out of thin air right next to you. It's just incredibly lazy and makes combat feel like a grind because every fight is the same.

Yes. The people that set up the encounters did a pretty poor job and I can't understand why this area is such a step back from DA:O.

This comment was edited on Apr 6, 2011, 16:23.

69. Re: Free Mass Effect 2 for Dragon Age II Owners [Updated] Apr 6, 2011, 13:19 Rilcon

Jerykk wrote on Apr 6, 2011, 12:19:
DA2 wasn't a real cRPG or comparable to BG2, but it's a damn good game. I could write a book on all the things I detest about it, but it's still a good game.

Care to elaborate on why it's a good game if there are many things you detest about it? I don't know about you but when I enjoy a game, I usually don't detest anything about it.

As for the definition of free, it's not that difficult to grasp. If you get something for nothing, it's free. For example, if EA were simply handing out copies of ME2 to anyone who wanted them, that would qualify as free. However, if you only get something if you pay for something else, it's not free. You still have to buy DA2 before they'll give you ME2.

I thought I used quote marks around free to make it clear that I know it's not really free, but likely missed some somewhere or whatever.

As to why I think DA2 is good:
- I liked the story, quite a bit. One of my gripes about (most!) cRPGs is that the player is the chosen one and immediately destined for greatness, with the plotline pretty much pointing out what's meant to happen from the very beginning. I liked that this was not the case, or rather that it was not so obvious.
- Presentation was good, which covers a good many things. Characters were interesting and entertaining (to me, anyway), sound and music was good, I liked the art syle and had few issues with the UI/controls (camera control was gimped, makes it hard to use AoE abilities at a range, but didn't really have any other major issues).
- It was fun. I like challenging games, and nightmare difficulty was rather challenging (at least for me). Cheap at times (waves of enemies spawning in silly places, AI rogues and mages raping everything), but once I understood the system I genuinely enjoyed the combat encounters.

66. Re: Free Mass Effect 2 for Dragon Age II Owners [Updated] Apr 6, 2011, 12:02 Rilcon

Verno wrote on Apr 6, 2011, 11:49:
Rilcon wrote on Apr 6, 2011, 11:18:
*shrug* Don't like it, don't buy it. It's a product from a company that wants your money, they don't owe us anything.

Of course I won't buy it. What a silly comment. It kind of goes without saying that people are going to vote with their wallet, that doesn't mean they can't speak up about it.

And "questioning" is a very tame term for the kind of language people like to use here.

Uhm, you were the one who posted this nonsense:

"Jesus christ, this site is full of bitter little shits. DA2 wasn't a real cRPG or comparable to BG2, but it's a damn good game. I could write a book on all the things I detest about it, but it's still a good game.

If I were one of these "AAA" devs, I'd make console and facebook only games just to spite you entitled whiney brats."

I wasn't directing you specifically on what to do in this case, it's a simple rule of thumb. I thought the point was pretty clear, but oh well.

And the way I talk is meant to be on the same tone as what I respond to. People use nasty words, I use nasty words. People reason things out, I use my meager brain power to attempt the same.

61. Re: Free Mass Effect 2 for Dragon Age II Owners [Updated] Apr 6, 2011, 11:18 Rilcon

Verno wrote on Apr 6, 2011, 10:53:
It is, however, still a "free", very good game, given to people that buy or have already bought a game that in my opinion is also very good. Not the second coming of Jesus, but far from how many "PC gamers" have decided to paint it as.

I think it's great that some people get at least something out of the mediocre and severely rushed experience that Dragon Age II turned out to be. That said you are still paying $60 for Dragon Age II and ME2 is cheap on sale quite often, people questioning EAs motives and the value proposition here are not "entitled".

*shrug* Don't like it, don't buy it. It's a product from a company that wants your money, they don't owe us anything. And "questioning" is a very tame term for the kind of language people like to use here.

59. Re: Free Mass Effect 2 for Dragon Age II Owners [Updated] Apr 6, 2011, 10:48 Rilcon

Verno wrote on Apr 6, 2011, 09:44:
Rilcon wrote on Apr 6, 2011, 07:54:
And you're bitching about people bitching about people bitching. Infinite moebius strip.

I'm normally quite a nice and level-headed guy, but it really pisses me off how angry and self-entitled people here can get over the slightest things.

It's already been reasonably explained several times why this is not a charity thing done to make things puppies and rainbows for consumers. If you choose to ignore the explanations and paint everyone as self-entitled babies then that's your business but it's very transparent.

Of course it's marketting. At this point EA isn't making any money off ME2, except may be on their own downloader thing. Retail isn't ordering any more units and digital is discounted down to nothing. And it's just a way to get potential customers for ME3 and maybe even score some DLC sales. Goodness, I never implied it was anything less.

It is, however, still a "free", very good game, given to people that buy or have already bought a game that in my opinion is also very good. Not the second coming of Jesus, but far from how many "PC gamers" have decided to paint it as.

50. Re: Free Mass Effect 2 for Dragon Age II Owners [Updated] Apr 6, 2011, 08:11 Rilcon

I like the site, and most of the times the comments are actually constructive or helpful. The times they aren't, I'm going to bitch about because I damn well can and lose nothing by it.

And yes, you're bitching about my bitching about others bitching. I may be a hypocrite, but so are you.

48. Re: Free Mass Effect 2 for Dragon Age II Owners [Updated] Apr 6, 2011, 07:54 Rilcon

And you're bitching about people bitching about people bitching. Infinite moebius strip.

I'm normally quite a nice and level-headed guy, but it really pisses me off how angry and self-entitled people here can get over the slightest things.

46. Re: Free Mass Effect 2 for Dragon Age II Owners [Updated] Apr 6, 2011, 07:31 Rilcon

Because "you're either with us or can gtfo" is so much better. Who made Team Bitter the shot callers around here?  

43. Re: Free Mass Effect 2 for Dragon Age II Owners [Updated] Apr 6, 2011, 07:07 Rilcon

InBlack wrote on Apr 6, 2011, 07:01:
Kobalt wrote on Apr 6, 2011, 06:08:
I realize the average gamer that frequent site like this is a large spoiled manchild, but this is kind of ridiculous. I really hope I never become such a bitter, cynical waste of air that I bitch about something free.

You would prefer to bitch about large adult manchildren you encounter on anonymous newsboards rather?

To you and all the other Blues' haters, either Shut the Fuck Up or Get the Fuck Out. Thank you.

Bitch, make me.

38. Re: Free Mass Effect 2 for Dragon Age II Owners [Updated] Apr 6, 2011, 05:14 Rilcon

Jesus christ, this site is full of bitter little shits. DA2 wasn't a real cRPG or comparable to BG2, but it's a damn good game. I could write a book on all the things I detest about it, but it's still a good game.

If I were one of these "AAA" devs, I'd make console and facebook only games just to spite you entitled whiney brats.

News Comments > PCGA: PC Gaming Resurgence
7. Re: PCGA: PC Gaming Resurgence Apr 5, 2011, 10:57 Rilcon

You guys gotta keep in mind that when these people say games, they include stuff like facebook games, a gillion F2P games from Asia, every Pop-cap style casual game ever released, etc.

"AAA" titles, the type sites like this cover, are by number and also by revenue not the largest part of gaming.

News Comments > Choplifter HD Announced
7. Re: Choplifter HD Announced Mar 29, 2011, 02:07 Rilcon

The original was one of my favourites on the C64, lots of fun dodging fighter jet missiles and UFOs.  

News Comments > Hitman 5 Image?
2. Re: Hitman 5 Image? Mar 21, 2011, 20:41 Rilcon

I just hope it comes out.

Well, and that it's still a Hitman game.

News Comments > Portal 2 TV Spot
6. Re: Portal 2 TV Spot Mar 18, 2011, 05:39 Rilcon

Jerykk wrote on Mar 18, 2011, 03:01:
I kinda wish they had made the WIN/MAC logo a bit bigger. It's ridiculously tiny compared to the Xbox and PS3 logos. I can't imagine anyone actually being able to read it on a TV from 8 feet away, especially given the short duration in which it's shown. If I was an ignorant consumer whose sole knowledge of Portal 2 was this ad, I'd have no idea it was coming out on PC or Mac.

Indeed, had to pause it to actually see the damn thing. It really should mention Steam, I think, with the same prominence the the consoles.

News Comments > Quote of the Day
5. Re: Quote of the Day Mar 15, 2011, 22:21 Rilcon

Should've kept the whiney brat banned. Steam has rules, don't like them, don't use Steam.  

News Comments > EA ♥s Fox News
14. Re: EA &#9829;s Fox News Mar 15, 2011, 03:38 Rilcon

AnointedSword wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 03:07:
I like foxnews because they are one of the less left leaning networks out there.

I really can't tell if I'm getting trolled here. I kind of hope so, though.

News Comments > Unreal Engine 3 Adding DirectX 11 Support
23. Re: Unreal Engine 3 Adding DirectX 11 Support Mar 2, 2011, 11:19 Rilcon

Kajetan wrote on Mar 2, 2011, 05:57:
Rilcon wrote on Mar 2, 2011, 04:52:
I like how people blame UE3 for a lot of things that the developer using the engine has total control over. It's like blaming steel for my car being an ugly shade of yellow.
Maybe. But are there so many devs out there, who dont know how to use this engine without said problems?

I myself turn off most shaders in UE3 games, because i can't stand all this overbright highlights and forced focus depth. Features, which i have no problem with in games, which use other rendering engines.

Short answer: Yes.

Slightly longer answer: it comes with premade shaders (amongst many other things) that I'm guessing Epic like themselves, and many people just use those, maybe with some minor tweaks. But you have the power to change those things if you want to.

195 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo