Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rilcon

Real Name Rilcon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rilcon
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 2, 2005, 23:20
Total Comments 195 (Novice)
User ID 24143

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > Another Mass Effect 3 Bounty Weekend
9. Re: Another Mass Effect 3 Bounty Weekend Mar 28, 2012, 23:16 Rilcon

Shipped or Sold doesn't matter much to EA. They're a publisher, not a platform holder; whether the retailers they sold the copies to can peddle them off or not doesn't matter all that much (except for potential DLC sales and future retailer interest, of course).

Also, this sort of event consumes very few resources. One guy to edit a few values in a database, one to fix up some art from existing assets, and one to make a fancy news item. Nothing that would take more than a full man-day .

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Far Cry 3 in September
16. Re: Far Cry 3 in September Feb 16, 2012, 05:22 Rilcon

I was going to bitch about people bitching, but then I tried to watch the trailer and was prompted to log into a facebook account I don't and never will have.

So, fuck this game.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jan 21, 2012, 01:10 Rilcon

Your point being...?  

News Comments > Codemasters Complaints
3. Re: Codemasters Complaints Jan 13, 2012, 23:11 Rilcon

I've worked with this guy, and know people that've worked at Leamington Spa Codemasters studio. Gonna go ahead and trust what he's saying.

That said, "unpaid overtime"... All my overtime is fucking unpaid; he should be thankful he got anything back from overtime, even if it was just pizza.

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Demo Today
14. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Today Jun 21, 2011, 11:25 Rilcon

Thread is now about SoF 1. God damn that game was fun; it played the GORE AND VIOLENCE card a lot, but had the gameplay to back it up.

I managed to finish 1 and 2 on whatever the hardest difficulty was called by only killing bosses and trigger enemies. That was good times.

News Comments > Hitman Absolution Announced
7. Re: Hitman Absolution Announced May 10, 2011, 15:39 Rilcon

I reserve the right to be optimistic.  

News Comments > GOG.com Drops Geo IP
5. Re: GOG.com Drops Geo IP May 10, 2011, 04:19 Rilcon

Blessed be those people at GoG, as someone that travels a lot IP geolocation screws me over pretty bad pretty often.  

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed May 9, 2011, 09:20 Rilcon

People pay for advertising. If a game is advertised everywhere as the next big thing, with flashy graphics, CGI cutscenes and over the top voiceovers / quotes, people will magically think it's worth more. Have it advertised only on a few blogs and little known gaming sites, doesn't matter how good it is, people won't see the value.  

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
7. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 9, 2011, 07:36 Rilcon

It would be so stupid Sony would probably try to do it.  

News Comments > Impulse Top 10
3. Re: Impulse Top 10 May 2, 2011, 20:54 Rilcon

Damn. I was still holding out for this being a really elaborate April Fools.  

News Comments > Portal 2 Free DLC Announced
24. Re: Portal 2 Free DLC Announced Apr 29, 2011, 18:32 Rilcon

finga wrote on Apr 29, 2011, 17:55:
Rilcon wrote on Apr 29, 2011, 17:11:
There's an MS rule where you can't offer something for free on one console and charge for it on the 360.
You sure? As Valve explained it with a piece of Left 4 Dead DLC, they wanted to release it for free on all platforms, but Microsoft wouldn't let them, so the PC (and PS3?) versions were free, while the 360 version of that DLC cost money. I believe it was $7. Admittedly, it's been a couple of years since then, so maybe things have changed.

AFAIK PC is never counted in for these platform exclusive things. L4D1/2 also has no PS3 version. Might be an old rule though, I haven't touched console DLC for some time.

News Comments > Portal 2 Free DLC Announced
18. Re: Portal 2 Free DLC Announced Apr 29, 2011, 17:11 Rilcon

There's an MS rule where you can't offer something for free on one console and charge for it on the 360. So yeah, it going through Steam on the PS3 (and thus "free" for Valve as they don't have to pay Sony for the bandwidth) means Valve is not allowed to charge for it on the 360.  

News Comments > Magicka Free Map Poll
5. Re: Magicka Free Map Poll Apr 20, 2011, 20:54 Rilcon

Full price was less than a steak dinner at a mediocre restaurant. I can deal with being "nickle and dimed" for new content that actually costs money to develop in the first place.  

News Comments > Playable Overgrowth
10. Re: Playable Overgrowth Apr 20, 2011, 02:53 Rilcon

Lugaru is still a game I play every once in a while; works well on my ages old laptop and is a great time waster. Quite looking forward to Overgrowth.  

News Comments > Portal 2 Watch
68. Re: Portal 2 Watch Apr 17, 2011, 11:18 Rilcon

Beamer wrote on Apr 17, 2011, 01:03:
This is why this board isn't fun anymore.

Few here, or rather likely the quiet majority, take any enjoyment out of gaming.
For the loudest of you the entertainment no longer comes from actually playing games but from bitching, moaning, whining and feeling like victims. It's not even fun discussing that topic anymore because it's beaten to death and some of you go further and further into some kind of loathing. It's hard to believe you still dedicate this much time to something you hate. Yeah, I know, "we want it to be what it once was!" but all your bitching and moaning isn't helping. Go away for a while. Get some bright air. Rather than complain that Valve is doing all this, or as someone in another thread claimed "wasting money on marketing" stop paying attention. Start being that guy that's happily surprised to walk into the video game section of Target and see a new game by your favorite developer that you hadn't been aware was on its way out.

What kills me most is how some of you fail to realize that you've changed as much as the industry has. On top of becoming bitter, jaded dicks you've just become more mature consumers, frankly, adults. There's an interestingish article in the newest KillScreen in which an author relates how he received the NES version of Dragon Warrior for free with a 2 year subscription to Nintendo Power (man, I remember getting my parents to sign me up for that deal, too.) He talks about how he was unable to play for 6 weeks after receiving the game, but he had the poster of all the enemies that NP included. He read the poster constantly. He memorized it. He worshipped it. It was religion to him and he knew every single tiny thing he could about the game without playing it. That game was his entire world and it completely captivated him. He was absorbed. Nothing could possibly matter more. I remember being the same way. For a long while nothing in my life mattered as much as video games. Games I played and games I didn't, honestly - I can think of a few games I was obsessed over based upon articles in Nintendo Power only to discover they totally blew, or games I obsessed over that I owned only to go back recently and discover that the game sucked and most of the joy was my own imagination running wild with the general theme of the game.
But the author will never, ever be into a game as much as he was into Dragon Warrior. I'll never be as into a game as I was Blaster Master or Doom or Duke Nukem or X-COM or Syndicate. We're not kids anymore. It's impossible for a game to captivate us like that. Games are far deeper with much more atmosphere than some of the ones I listed above but they won't hold on to me because there's so much in life that takes priority.

What kills me is how regularly I see comments here in which people blame the games for that. Some of you get irate that games don't make you feel the same way. You don't seem to realize that you changed more than games. Go up to a kid today and he feels the same way you once did.

Some of you a miserable, humorless, impossible to please and completely pointless. Verno, you always seem to think I'm talking to you and I'm not - you're fairly miserable at times and often humorless but irregularly for both of those and always thoughtful and worth reading. I'm surprised to see nin so bitter here as he usually is humorous in his hate and seems to enjoy gaming by and large. But there are some usual people here that never, ever say anything positive or interesting. Just a lot of one line comments like "suck my balls Valve" or "way to screw us over by trying not to go into the red" or "man, I haven't played an original video game since Space Wars, everything since is just you hitting a button and stuff happening just like that game!" Wait, not that last one - it contains too much content. People at least used to try - it used to be common to see the "popular threads" list have multiple triple-digit threads in which people debated the merits of various things. No longer even debate - just condemnation, industry ignorance and one line curses.

If it weren't for the character limit, I'd set this as my sig.

News Comments > Portal 2 Watch
18. Re: Portal 2 Watch Apr 16, 2011, 22:25 Rilcon

The bitter, the entitlement... I can practically taste it all the way over here.

qq some more, please.

News Comments > Bulletstorm Soundtrack
8. Re: Bulletstorm Soundtrack Apr 14, 2011, 07:43 Rilcon

Bulletstorm was fun. Music was good. This is good.  

News Comments > Garry's Mod vs Pirates
6. Re: Garry's Mod vs Pirates Apr 13, 2011, 15:10 Rilcon

While I like the idea behind this, I wouldn't do it in any game with DRM due to how I myself am likely to use cracks on games with obnoxious DRM.  

News Comments > Dragon Age DRM Servers Fixed
13. Re: Dragon Age DRM Servers Fixed Apr 13, 2011, 12:08 Rilcon

Verno wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 10:36:
"Normally, we are pretty responsive to activity on the forums, but you may also be aware that our forums are staffed voluntarily"

Oh good, then all is forgiven because you can't be bothered to have a paid employee read your support forums!

Bioware/EA is how big? And they use volunteer mods? That's some really pro community management right there. Cripes.

News Comments > Dragon Age DRM Servers Fixed
2. Re: Dragon Age DRM Servers Fixed Apr 13, 2011, 09:50 Rilcon

And the people that pirated it didn't notice a thing.
:-/

195 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo