Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Trindermon

Real Name Trindermon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Theo
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description cheesey.
Homepage http://atomicrain.net
Signed On Oct 18, 2005, 19:08
Total Comments 403 (Amateur)
User ID 23977

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Launches
31. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 21, 2012, 10:02 Theo

Beamer wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 09:55:
InBlack wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 03:20:
Definitely a hard game to get into, not for the "ME ME ME ME!" generation. Very steep learning curve. If you were born after 1990 then this game is probably not for you....

You really think the average CoD player is under 22?

Some people can be seriously demented in their own superiority complex. I guess you get that in every hobby. Somewhere out there some guy thinks he's special because he thinks his decision to collect only stamps from Burma makes him more intellectual.

this would get you +rep, if there was such a thing

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 21, 2012, 08:23 Theo

Hump wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 08:06:
You've obviously haven't played for long.

Joining a game and simply playing run-n-gun will get you very little XP and you'll contribute nothing to the empire you joined. Not to mention it'll get you dead pretty quickly. The base capture gives your team specific perks depending on what that bases function is. Theres the certification point system along with other units of reward all of which allows one to upgrade charcter, weapons, armor, vehicles, etc.

IOW, just joining and playing like you would a game of CoD is futile. You may as well not play at all. Unfortunatey the kiddies are going to assume this is a sci-fi version of battlefield will quit in frustration without having a clue as to what the game is all about.

I played planetside 1, and was in that first round of testers. Frankly I stand by my comments, i loved PS1, PS2 is *ok*.

"XP systems" loadout's etc are hardly unique to planetside, whilst the bases you capture do impact the game play. you are *not* going to go go randomly cap a base yourself; you are going to follow the rest of the squad (if using my example); and in doing that you will level just as well.

Its not like removing enemy players from the battlefield by killing them isn't a worthwhile thing to be doing. (and inevitably the flow of the game takes you to the important places).

Also, i have to say, if you are concerned about XP over the act of shooting someone, you are totally missing the whole point of planetside; both 1 and 2. Just shooting enemys isnt pointless ever. you might not understand the game as well as someone else but you are being valueable all the same - and frankly be dammed with all the "why so serious" stuff.

22. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 21, 2012, 07:40 Theo

NKD wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 03:49:
InBlack wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 03:20:
Definitely a hard game to get into, not for the "ME ME ME ME!" generation. Very steep learning curve. If you were born after 1990 then this game is probably not for you....

Once you do get into it its actually fantastic, the only thing that was lacking in the beta was a large server population.

Hopefully that will be alieviated now that the game has gone live, time to jump back into it.

Yup, not really an easy-mode game, nor a game for need-to-leave-the-gene-pool COD players. There's no logging on for 30 minutes, killing a few people, calling them gingers and/or fags and logging off. At least not if you want to have any fun or accomplish anything. You have to be working with a lot of other players to do anything. But the scale is rewarding once you find a crew to roll with.

Log in to game, Press Insert, (get placed in squad), press insert again *(get teliported to a squad mate), shoot someone. doesn't seem overly complicated to me.

Other than getting used to the scale there is nothing complicated about this game. point gun. shoot. done.

News Comments > Star Citizen's Record Funding Drive Ends
27. Re: Star Citizen's Record Funding Drive Ends Nov 20, 2012, 12:29 Theo

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 20, 2012, 12:13:
Theo wrote on Nov 20, 2012, 08:01:
hopefully people have enough money left to fund elite :-( i get the feeling that 1 space sim might have taken everyones cash though :-(

I have no confidence in the people behind elite sorry to say it.

Same here, but i also think Roberts is the guy that got 6 years to make his last game, months ago when he started pitching his Star citizen project you know what he said? "publishers are evil they put pressure on me and i couldn't make it the game i wanted to".

SIX F**KING years microsoft gave him. I really want to Star Citizen to be a good game because i love space games, that said, Id rather be playing multiplayer Elite than a roberts game that promises more than it actually delivers.

News Comments > Star Citizen's Record Funding Drive Ends
20. Re: Star Citizen's Record Funding Drive Ends Nov 20, 2012, 08:01 Theo

hopefully people have enough money left to fund elite :-( i get the feeling that 1 space sim might have taken everyones cash though :-(

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - F1 Race Stars
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - F1 Race Stars Nov 14, 2012, 09:57 Theo

the thing is, mario cart style games are great fun no matter your age. (if you like that kinda thing), and this is the least fun "mario cart" type game i have played. (and i always tend to pick up fun racers).

handled right the F1 skin could have been fun, in a wacky races kinda way, but it just feels out of place and poor.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - F1 Race Stars
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - F1 Race Stars Nov 14, 2012, 02:59 Theo

downloaded the demo on the xbox, TERRIBLE TERRIBLE game, was looking forward to a mariocart syle racing game; this is not it. If you have a 360 you are better off with joyride (the none kinect one).

News Comments > The Old Republic Goes Free to Play Next Week
40. Re: The Old Republic Goes Free to Play Next Week Nov 11, 2012, 10:10 Theo

Jerykk wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 21:55:
There's a key difference, though. In other F2P, the XP boosters are promoted as such: a boost to the default XP accumulation rate. A positive bonus, in other words. In TOR, the F2P changes are being portrayed as nerfs and restrictions to the regular content. That has a negative perception and why TOR's F2P model will fail.

In fairness this kind of thing will ALWAYS happen when a game changes from subscription to f2p; its inevitable.

People said exactly the same thing when STO went free to play regarding the "limited" nature of the accounts; that game has gone from strength to strength since people had the initial "YOU'RE DOING WHAT" outrage.

in 2 months no-one will give 2 f*cks* about what got nerfed, they will decide on if they are playing based on enjoyment alone, assuming they are the type of gamer with a open mind.

I'd rather games exist over "not", even if i dont play them, if some people are gaving fun with them thats a good thing.

News Comments > The Old Republic Goes Free to Play Next Week
38. Re: The Old Republic Goes Free to Play Next Week Nov 10, 2012, 04:42 Theo

Creston wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 11:55:
They really have NO FUCKING CLUE on what makes a succesful F2P game.
Creston

LoL does nerfed XP unless you play for boosts and that's the most succesful free to play game in the world. HELL, that's the most successful online game in the world / let alone free to play.

Nerfing down XP gain in free to play is widely done, and accepted.

Agree the rest of there model is somewhat retarded however.

News Comments > Battle.net Authenticator Class Action Suit
25. Re: Battle.net Authenticator Class Action Suit Nov 9, 2012, 09:14 Theo

god bless america.  

News Comments > No PC Halo 4 Because It's "Designed Specifically for Xbox 360"
47. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 7, 2012, 05:43 Theo

Going to get flamed for saying this i am sure. This is a shame, seen as halo4 is the most fun i;ve had with a console shooter in a long time. the Singleplayer is great fun, ~(if you like non-clever, run and gun type games with large free form maps).

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
5. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 18, 2012, 12:16 Theo

must try  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 17, 2012, 08:16 Theo

Lokust wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 17:57:
god if there's one regard in which a ps3 vastly superior to the 360 it's that they don't fuck with the UI. I miss the UI the 360 shipped with. I'll take it any day over the last three iterations.

Whlst i agree the xbox UI is pretty bad, the PS3 UI is a clusterf*ck of awfulness.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 16, 2012, 16:32 Theo

Verno wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 10:15:
New Xbox interface brings Windows 8 “Metro” style to the console.

Now with even more ads!

heh actaully thats a bit better, least on the home page. does seem a bit slower tho. suspect that will fix up as the cache builds up

News Comments > Diablo III Version 1.0.5 Tomorrow
19. Re: Diablo III Version 1.0.5 Tomorrow Oct 16, 2012, 03:20 Theo

will login when the pvp patch arrives... till then tl2?

News Comments > HAWKEN Closed Beta in Two Weeks
12. Re: HAWKEN Closed Beta in Two Weeks Oct 14, 2012, 06:52 Theo

I really enjoyed the alpha, looking forward to more players being involved. Its not a traditional mechgame, more like a "arcade" mech game - that said it is excellent fun; and the load outs arnt as "thin on the ground" as you would think.

@Real1One, whatever that problem was mate, it wasn't a generic issue, i was running @ full res no issues.

News Comments > Chris Roberts' Star Citizen Announced
53. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2012, 17:43 Theo

Darks wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 16:32:
Creston wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 15:54:
Rigs wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 15:25:
Don't get me wrong, I've been playing since before Wing Commander (though WC was one of the first games I played on a 'modern' PC - in 1992), and I love Privateer and Starlancer AND Freelancer (Starlancer never gets any love! I think it was almost as good as Freespace...seriously!) But one thing bothers the hell out of me when Chris speaks of doing a single player sim and then some kind of multiplayer/MMO -type of thing...he's said it before. When? Freelancer. In the run up to it's release I read preview after preview that touted it's grand single-player with dedicated servers for multi, which is fine. But then he swore that after Freelancers release, say a year or so out, he would release an MMO version of it. In fact, he said the the 'first' single-player release was to be a 'dry run' to work out all the kinks and bugs with the game and then they would put a new version out as an MMO...Of course, it obviously never happened. Freelancer released and I swear the day it went out, he closed up shop and disappeared. I'm not even sure if they released any patches for it. (They probably did, I stopped playing pretty quickly after release) But you never heard another peep out of him about it...

Now here he is trying to wow us again with a suitably impressive demonstration of a new game. But his plans for it are so strikingly similar to Freelancer that I have to sit back and say, 'Nope. I not falling for it again!' I'll wait and see. I'll watch, be sure. And yes, despite my wariness, I AM excited. I just really hope he pulls thru with this one. If anything, I wish he'd be trying to bring Freelancer back, maybe update it and put out the first MMO he said he would ten years ago...

EDIT: I'm with Cutter on this one, gents. I'll watch and wait. X: Rebirth will be coming along soon with a veteran crew at the helm and a seasoned game infrastructure to use...

=-Rigs-=

They are valid points, but most of Freelancer's bullshit happened because of publisher pressure, or at least so it appeared. When he was with a dev (and back then a publisher) who left him alone, he made Wing Commander and Privateer. When he had to work under publishers who were continuously pushing for shit, he made WC Prophecy and Freelancer.

And Freelancer really isn't a bad game, but it fell far far far far far short of what he promised.

This time he hopefully won't have a traditional publisher to jerk him around and he and his team can make the game they want to make.

I'm a bit worried that he's not using Kickstarter though. I understand that 7% of your total haul is a lot of money (KS fees plus Amazon fees), but who's to say he won't just cash in my donation even if it doesn't fund, and then blows it on hookers? A little checkmark that says you can get a refund doesn't make me feel any less wary.

Creston

First off, you guys really need to know the background on Freelancer and why it was never really finished before you go bashing Chris. You can blame Microsoft for that one. They pushed this game right out the door before it was finished, that was when Chris said the hell with this and left the industry. Don’t believe me ask him yourself. I know the guy personally and got all the low down on this one back in the day.

He had so many plans and ideas for Freelancer to make it something that had never been seen or done before but Good ole Microsoft just had to have this game out the door making money. This was a primary reason that Capitalships never made it into the final game; they were not finished in time.

Erin, Chris’s brother ended up taking over the project and released it as it was. But this was far from what Chris envisioned or wanted the game to be and the state it was released in.

This is a massive quote and for that i am really, really, sorry.

But for once in my life i am going to defend a publisher, not a lot. but a bit. I love Chris and I love the games he makes, always have because i am in my late 30's and pretty much grew with his space sims. (and elite prior to that).

Freelancer was in development for 6 years, count them, 6.

Whilst i appreciate Chris had lots of ideas for freelancer (and for the record i thought it was a great game, within its frame work); he took a massive amount of time to produce what was delivered. It is not really fair to lay the blame solely at Microsofts door for what freelancer became. Look at what 1 developer has done with the evochorn iterations & much less resource.

That said i am not flame this project, Chris can have my money RIGHT NOW, cause i am looking forward to this very muchly.

I just think its rough to lay the blame on microsofts door alone; yes they pushed the game, yes they made the release say "k, Go", but the over riding factor was this game had a huge development cycle and various bumps along the way, in this instance its not cool to just blame the publisher cause that's the cool thing to do.

PS: Chris take my money now - i cant wait to play this. now if we could only get the Iwar2 team back together.

This comment was edited on Oct 10, 2012, 18:01.

News Comments > Gratuitous Space Battles Adding Direct Control
20. Re: Congrats, finally realized the obvious. Sep 18, 2012, 12:41 Theo

Beamer wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 07:36:

But some niche games ARE bad. The bulk of your time in GSB wasn't spent designing but spent watching those designs fight. It was about 5 minutes of gameplay for 15 minutes of watching things slowly unfold.
If I wanted that ratio I'd play some crappy Metal Gear game.

I am fine with games where you just see the outcome rather than create it. I've played plenty of fantasy hockey (e.g., fake players in a simulator), spent years playing WebBl, a fantasy boxing game where you just input strategy in a rudimentary coding form and get the results of your fights every week, and would love a game that is based on trial and error like those.
But the trials were too long. Watching those fights, just to get feedback for minor modifications, became excruciating.

Couldnt disagree with you more (supprise supprise), i litterally spent hours setting up ships and fleets combinations.

Not to mention it was totally up to you how fast or slow that battle played out (watch speeds are changeable). If you were just going to throw up a shit 5 min fleet design, no reason you should watch the battle in its entirety is there?

Re the change, i welcome it, it might make me play through the "conquest" type add on again, that i really enjoyed lastnight around. Shame it doesnt work in multiplayer however.

More good stuff from Cliffski, its nice when he does nice things ;-) maybe ill reward him witha GTB sale ;-)

News Comments > Chris Roberts Game Countdown?
33. Re: Chris Roberts Game Countdown? Sep 10, 2012, 18:59 Theo

Beamer wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 18:49:
Wasn't Freelancer the one that was more or less universally hated for being a point-and-click mouse flying game instead of supporting joysticks?

No. it was a flawed game that was still loved (and is still played), DESPITE that.

News Comments > etc., etc.
7. Re: etc., etc. Aug 24, 2012, 10:58 Theo

beigemore wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 05:20:
Wow that dust game looks amazing. Too bad I don't have a 360.

Its very very good for a 15 quid title, well hell, its good for a 30 quid title tbh.

403 Comments. 21 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo