Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for hapj

Real Name hapj   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 11, 2005, 23:41
Total Comments 16 (Suspect)
User ID 23942

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > DNF Teaser Video Tomorrow
11. No subject Dec 18, 2007, 20:15 hapj

The cake is a lie. Here's the teaser shot (thanks Google), designed to falsely raise your hopes that this game will ever be anything more than a tease:

http://kalleboo.mirror.waffleimages.com/files/2d/2dc7d35ac2c7735090adea6437770802008c1c2e.jpg

http://kotaku.com/335467/duke-nuke-em-forever-trailer-hits-tomorrow

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars
8. ETWQ vs Q3 and TF2 Oct 2, 2007, 12:01 hapj

I feel Valve has done for TF2 what iD did for Quake3 and failed to do for ET:QW, which is to systematically analyze all aspects of their game for *gameplay* and tune accordingly, reducing the game to its fundamental, unique components. I played ET:QW for a couple of days and found the gameplay, er, cluttered.

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Movies Coming
28. Re: No subject Sep 30, 2007, 04:37 hapj

> Scout is WAYYY over powered, I was playing as a heavy weapons and scout killed me every time. Utter BS.

Um, no, it's not BS, realize that it's a game of rock paper scissors. Let me break part of it down for you:

Scout = paper
Heavy = rock
Engineer = scissors

Scout beats Heavy, Heavy loses to Scout.
Heavy beats Engineer (turrets), Engineer loses to Heavy.
Engineer (turrets) beats Scout, Scout loses to Engineer.

Skill does play a part, so a good heavy can beat a bad scout. But, obviously, the whole point of the game is that some characters have a natural advantage over others.

News Comments > TF2 Announcement Next Week
40. Re: @Dagok Sep 8, 2007, 22:01 hapj

Trimethicon, it sounds like you're justing being argumentative, then. "In a new wrapper" would mean a graphics update. They've changed game types and balanced characters. People that really played TFC are pretty pissed about the removal of conj jumping. If you're seriously discussing this, maybe you cold suggest what would qualify as a significant change while retaining the name "Team Fortress"?

News Comments > TF2 Announcement Next Week
36. Re: @Dagok Sep 8, 2007, 20:30 hapj

@Trimethicon: And yes I have read all of the interviews and previews (I live eat, breath and shit games) and to be honest they're really just the same classes as TFC. Tell me what is so new and innovative?

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200703/N07.0327.1745.51023.htm

From page 1:

"The Pyro is really different, the Scout is really different, the Medic, in terms of their role. We call the Scout a Scout and there was really some discussion if we should call the Scout something else because hes so different, but it doesnt seem to be too important, but the name still implies a role thats pretty analogous to what he does."

"With TFC we had the problem of not clearly differentiating between the classes. It sort of resulted in people not really having weaknesses. The Soldier has sort of been the bane of my existence in terms of TF, because hes a class whos not as good at everything but he doesnt have a significant weakness. ... So yes, I think that part of the whole goal of the changes are about more sharply defining the rock-paper-scissors stuff."

From page 2:

"Q: There are no grenades outside of the Demoman's grenade launcher. Thats a pretty big deal."

"They reduce class differentiation a lot and this was the key killer of what made us do it. ... The clans really dont play Scout at all. They play Medic because the conc jump [ed: Concussion Grenade jumping] is the same so the Medic and the Conc is so much about the skill of using a Medic in TFC to capture flags. The conc itself invalidated the Scout itself."

"One of the main reasons why weve gone to control points with much of the maps is control points are about defending and attacking points, and TFs gameplay, all of the classes fit into some part of a defensive or offensive role."

News Comments > Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars Demo Nears
25. TF2 Sep 2, 2007, 05:46 hapj

I am a huge id fanboy -- since Wolfenstein, Doom 1, Quake 1, and I still play Quake 3. I really want to like ET:QW, but Team Fortress 2 looks like it's shaping up to feel more like an id game than ET:QW, and with a LOT of thought, design effort, and good execution on the multiplayer gameplay.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Calif. Levees Jan 5, 2007, 12:34 hapj

"... the levees are substandard and don't meet criteria that they can withstand floods for 100 years."

Hehe. Lost in translation there. They probably mean the levees cannot withstand a 100-year flood, which is another way of saying a flood that has a 1% chance to occur each year.

9. Picture it Sep 30, 2006, 18:56 hapj

"A for idea, F- for the backwards graph." What's backwards about it? It looks fine to me....

News Comments > 3DR/DNF Rumors Follow-up
26. Re: No subject Aug 31, 2006, 18:18 hapj

banddirector: "you'd think they'd get tired of working on DNF and push it out the door"

Or just quit... hence the first story of about 10 of the major developers at 3DR in leaving in the last year.

24. Re: No subject Aug 31, 2006, 16:57 hapj

banddirector: "did the original Duke3d really make so much money for 3DRealms that they haven't needed to make DNF?"

Probably, yes. About 24 employees. Assume an aggregate load of about $130k/employee/year is around $3mil/year. 10 years since Duke Nukem 3D means they need $30 million total. Count self published Duke Nukem 3D and Rise of the Triad, and producer for Max Payne and now Prey. Say on average they grossed $10/unit means they'd need to have sold in total low millions of units, which sounds entirely plausible across those four titles.

12. Closure Aug 31, 2006, 12:41 hapj

DNF is a perfect example of why closure is so important. DNF is like a missing child that has been missing so long any and every reasonable person assumes with certainty that the worst has happened. But *knowing*, finding the body, lets people stop hoping and begin grieving. If George just admits that DNF is dead and will never be released, be can begin the grieving process and move on with our lives.

News Comments > Into the Black
15. Re: 3D Logic Jun 1, 2006, 12:35 hapj

Oh. Hah. Level 30 was the last level.

10. Re: 3D Logic Jun 1, 2006, 04:28 hapj

Btw, imo, 16 was one of the hardest. I'm now at 30 and just need to sleep.

9. 3D Logic Jun 1, 2006, 02:09 hapj

Level 16 - orange far side, blue through middle.

4. I Vant to Drink Your Vatts Nov 19, 2005, 17:58 hapj

"As a country we pay $1 billion a year to power our TV's and VCR's while they're turned off,"
$1 billion per year across 250 million people is an average of $4 per year per person. Woopdie-doo.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. FreeDOM Oct 11, 2005, 19:43 hapj

Free software means free as in money? No. One word: freedom. As in liberty.

Free software doesn't mean free as in money, it means freedom. Freedom to modify, enhance, fix, change. Freedom to port. Freedom to make it work with competing technologies. Freedom to look under the hood.

Free software means you're not wholly subject to the business strategy of one or more companies, but that you're free to make your software, your computer, and your environment your own.

16 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo