Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for tryptic

Real Name tryptic   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname tryptic
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description refugee from the planet Kuzebane.
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 11, 2005, 20:03
Total Comments 3 (Suspect)
User ID 23941

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: No subject Oct 14, 2005, 12:16 tryptic

Right, they don't care. Plus they just shipped the HMP-A1... does basically the same thing as the iPodV and supports a much wider array of media types.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/27/sony_mp3_vid_player/

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 12:17.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Nintendogs Copy-Cat article Oct 12, 2005, 00:14 tryptic

>>"It's not new, it's definitely not original, but it certainly is the best one to date."<<

Is it? Or is it a warmed over tech demo?

Arguably the execution is tight. The puppies are extremely well crafted... animation blending is very good, ai/behavior states very very good. Stylus interaction and tactile pleasures are the innovative highlight that Nintendo really nailed (as I would expect).

But, beyond that, the overall experience (IMO) leaves a bit to be desired in the re-playability department.

Walking the dog is fun, but the environment and the interaction with other entities is highly restricted (from a variables standpoint). There is complexity involved in creating compelling interaction between a virtual pet and multiple concurrent entities.

While pet-to-pet interaction is impressive, I would have traded the economy/money aspects for more interesting or unexpected things happening on walks (ice cream vendors, other ai pets/owners, fire trucks, etc), and more spontaneous interaction possibilities using different elements together (chaotic combos like ball + frisbee + toy rc car + multiple pets). It's the unpredictable nature of dogs that seems to get a bit diluted in favor of more traditional gameplay mechanics (compete/win money/buy stuff).

Clearly it's doing great numbers and I really enjoyed it for a bit, but after a while I felt like I'd seen it all. YMMV.

1. Nintendogs Copy-Cat article Oct 11, 2005, 16:06 tryptic

Late breaking news from the history-erasure department:

Nintendogs is nothing new in the virtual pet space. Petz has been doing puppy virtual pets for years (up to v5 now). I'm guessing "Dogz" for GBA to be a port from Mythos since the name Dogz is their product trademark. If that's the case, the writer of this article really didn't do any homework before his/her ill-advised rant.

This comment was edited on Oct 11, 16:09.

3 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo