Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for yonderboyOSLT

Real Name yonderboyOSLT   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname yonder
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 7896851
Description
Homepage http://www.planetdungeonsiege.com
Signed On Oct 8, 2005, 00:21
Total Comments 181 (Novice)
User ID 23920

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered
14. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered Jul 5, 2015, 20:19 yonder

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 5, 2015, 18:57:
How many major game developers ever issued refunds before this new Steam refund policy. I can't think of a prior one off hand.

You obviously weren't screwed by Sony with SWG. Of course the lawsuit may have had a thing or two to do with it.

I'll never let that go.

But yeah, this is a nice change. Still... kudos to Squeenix.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta Announced
28. Re: Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta Announced Jul 4, 2015, 22:50 yonder

harlock wrote on Jul 4, 2015, 16:44:
Fantaz wrote on Jul 4, 2015, 16:22:
MS wants to release Win10 this month but I've been working with the latest builds of it every day and it's still a horribly buggy mess right now... there's also serious bugs that MS said to us that they are not planning on fixing until Fall/Nov 2015! there's no way I'm going to switch from WinBlue (8.1) until at least Win10 SP1 comes out, or only when they start seriously fixing the bugs. the DX12 exclusive games will have to wait before i play them.

if you use win8.1 willingly, there is no reason to listen to anything coming out of your mouth

better idea would be to ignore everything you say from now on

Damn. Troll much?

News Comments > AntharioN This Month
1. Re: AntharioN This Month Jul 4, 2015, 02:59 yonder

The grammar of the announcements, the lack of Kickstarter communicating, and the weirdness of announcing pre-orders 2 weeks before the launch all add up to too many question marks and mild red flags... but the game looks charming.

And did they just say "interactive world"? Isn't that as bad as "multimedia experience" these days?

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Jun 8, 2015, 12:55 yonder

descender wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 12:41:
This entire article is really stupid. There are literally thousands of SteamOS compatible games on Steam right now. Of the 10 "most played" games on Steam, 7 of them are SteamOS compatible.

What console has a library of over a thousand games that is still constantly being expanded and updated?
What console has the ability to install 3rd party games?
What console has the ability to be upgraded in the event that they are not powerful enough to run SteamVR hardware?
What console lets you easily share your library with your friends/family without losing control of your physical copies of games?

Only the SteamBox.

Does it have flaws? Sure. Is version 1 of the SteamBox going to win the console war? of course not. Is it the best/only possibility we have for breaking down the walled-gardens of Sony and Microsoft and ending the disparity between PC and console games? Yes, absolutely. if only for that last reason alone people should be championing and hoping for the success of this venture.

This entire comment is really stupid.

What console has a library of over a thousand games that is... - Since you're counting EVERYTHING, you have to count PSN and XBL games. Trust me, the PS3 and Xbox360 have well over a thousand games.
What console has the ability to install 3rd party games? Um... the 360 and PS3 have that ability, unless you have your own personal definition of "3rd party games"
Upgrading? The 360 can be upgraded. Not much, but still...

/sigh...

I get your point, but your arguments are idiotic. Stop that.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Free Powerplay Update
16. Re: Elite: Dangerous Free Powerplay Update Jun 6, 2015, 10:14 yonder

Stormsinger wrote on Jun 5, 2015, 22:29:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 5, 2015, 18:54:
Vall Forran wrote on Jun 5, 2015, 17:49:
Actually (and it just launched so this might not matter in a few hours), the federation lady that looks like the platinum haired girl from the Matrix is in the lead, followed by the other fed guy who looks like Bryan Cranston.

Bryan Cranston? That's clearly a well aged Robert Patrick!

So is this the major content patch that means it's time to get in to Elite:Dangerous, or should people on the fence keep...sitting on the fence?

Personally, I'd wait until it's about $5 or so. I wish I had, then I wouldn't feel so taken. It's boring as hell, both spaceflight and combat, with the most interesting part being trying to outguess the autopilot to avoid overshooting your destination. No "strategic" layer on top of that is going to help.

I'm curious what made you buy it in the first place. ED never pretended to be anything it isn't, at least as far as I'm concerned. It's a trading game with combat and stuff on top of it.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2015, 09:03 yonder

"need to the height of my coffee table"

Forget the word know?

News Comments > Steam Launches Paid Mod Support
45. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 17:18 yonder

Wait, what? Idiots are overreacting without investigating things or thinking things through?!

NO EFFIN WAY!!!

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Patch to Fix Stats
32. Re: Pillars of Eternity Patch to Fix Stats Apr 2, 2015, 01:56 yonder

Obsidian makes GREAT games and I often buy them 6-9 months after release. You know, when they're actually finished.

And if you understand the way their "mercenary" contracts worked, I tend to put a bit more blame on the publishers in the past for their horrible track record... but Obsidian is FAR from blameless.

I'm honestly curious as to your history with QA and software development cuz... well... yes. Yes it IS that bad. This should have never made it anywhere near release. But nothing will ever touch Pool of Radiance and their "uninstalling this game may erase your OS" bug. NOTHING will touch that.

Quinn wrote on Apr 1, 2015, 14:04:
Well, yonder, it's not *that* bad. Plus I seriously loved Alpha Protocol.

Still at work, and not looking forward to playing PoEt anymore. With all the complaining about PoEt that finally and rightfully awakened in this thread, I realize it's not the bugs or combat system that make me feel this way. It really is chapter 2 (that fuuucking boooring city) and now the knowledge that chapter 3 will have a goddamn city too -- with even longer loading times! In short: I lost interest in the story and main campaign. Too little interesting development in it after too much time.

News Comments > etc., etc.
32. Re: etc., etc. Apr 1, 2015, 13:42 yonder

sdgundamx wrote on Apr 1, 2015, 11:32:
harlock wrote on Apr 1, 2015, 08:39:
sdgundamx wrote on Apr 1, 2015, 03:40:
Just because it's everyday language doeesn't mean it's not racist, now, does it? The same applies to sexist language--or homophobic language for that matter.

First of all, you fail utterly by comparing "honey" to "n*gger". You do realized that's utterly idiotic, right?

Gay is much better as a comparison.

But the point is, no... just because it's everyday language doesn't mean it's not racist. But just because it SOMETIMES IS SEXIST LANGUAGE DOES NOT MEAN IT ALWAYS AUTOMATICALLY IS.

Implying that "honey" when said to a woman is always sexist is effing stupid. So incredibly stupid that I'm defending Cutter. Think about that.

I just called my mom Honey literally 15 minutes ago. Does that mean I was being sexist to her? No, because that's effing stupid.

I call guys bitches all the time. I call dudes chick all the time. I'm all over the places.

What *MATTERS* is specific context and, holy balls, *INTENT*.

Ignore that and there's absolutely no reason to respect your opinion on what words mean.

(On a sidenote, San Antonio is my hometown and I've got NO problem believing your SL tales. There's a lot I love about my home state. A *LOT* that disgusts me. But it sure as hell isn't just in the south (and don't get me started about how Texas isn't part of the "Deep South", but that's a whole other discussion)

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Patch to Fix Stats
19. Re: Pillars of Eternity Patch to Fix Stats Apr 1, 2015, 13:34 yonder

I will never understand people without basic pattern recognition skills.

A lot of Obsidian's history is full of mercenary game dev contracts that, understandably, resulted in horrifically buggy games.

Virtually *ALL OF THEM*.

I'm really looking forward to playing this game in 6 months... when it's done. I have no desire to play another buggy-as-all-get-out-on-Day-1 Obsidian game.

None.

The endless evidence of Obsidian's incredibly lacking Quality Control Process is there for anyone to see. Peter Molyneaux's track record of pushing the line of what a "con man" is is there for anyone to see. Tim Shaffer's genius that *REQUIRES* a moneyman to say "Dude, no... friggin do the game, jerk." is out there for everyone to see. What happens to studios that are purchased and looted by EA is, well... SERIOUSLY PEOPLE.

The heck is wrong with people?

Again, Obsidian is by far the best of these examples, but WHAT.DID.YOU.EXPECT?

I *WILL* buy this in 6 months, assuming it's finished. If gamers NEVER properly hold developers (remember the difference between a dev and a publisher, for goodness' sake!) responsible AT ALL, they will never have any reason to learn.

News Comments > etc., etc.
19. Re: etc., etc. Apr 1, 2015, 05:32 yonder

Sorry no. One of the main horrible issues with Sarkeesian is that her ENTIRE MO revolves around taking what happens far too often and applying it to LITERALLY every situation. It undermines a very legitimate point and does a disservice to humanity. And you're doing the same.

Cutter is a dick. Don't get me wrong. But the ACTUAL WORDS HE USED were not sexist. And, honestly, your INSISTENCE On the right to add connotation to 100% of statements in 100% of situations is more offensive than Cutter's horrible, horrible existence.

Get some damned perspective and learn that your's isn't 100% flawless 100% of the time. If you actually expanded your horizons where "honey" isn't a torches-and-pitchfork word, you might enjoy life better.

I dunno, I don't pretend to know you beyond the horrible and close minded arrogance you show in this thread.

N n
sdgundamx wrote on Apr 1, 2015, 03:40:
InBlack wrote on Apr 1, 2015, 03:02:
Beamer, I realize that Cutter posted a disparaging and probably offensive comment directed at Sarkeesian. There is very little (if any) sexual context attached to the comment as I see it, so how is it sexist? He is basically telling someone off. Someone who is female, which is why he used a female pronoun. Is it because he called her honey? I honestly want to know, Im not trying to bait you or anything.
Where did he riff on her sexuality?

The fact that this even needs explaining shows how far a lot gamers (particularly certain frequent posters on Blues) need to go in getting in touch with the real world.

When a male refers to an adult female who he doesn't know and has no personal relationship with as "honey," "sweetie," "sugar," "cupcake," or any other term that implies females aren't human but instead a tasty treat awaiting consumption, it is called "casual sexism." They are throwaway labels designed to reinforce the dominant power relationship of men over women by implying that women should be "nice girls" while guys have the prerogative to be asshats.

In the real world, if I were to refer to a female co-worker by any of those terms, the least I could expect would be an icy stare. Worst case scenario, I'd be called up to the boss for a talking-to and likely be required to take one of those god-awful online sexual harassment seminars.

In short, calling a female you've never met "honey" is sexist and offensive. I have no doubt Cutter intended his comment that way.

Did that clarify things for you?

News Comments > Op Ed
88. Re: Op Ed Feb 28, 2015, 16:18 yonder

Eirikrautha wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 10:52:
You know, it's pretty simple. Sarkeesian is directing her argument to the wrong entity. She's attacking video game producers when her real complaint is with nature and reality.

See, Sarkessian is on record as saying that all differences between men and women are the product of societal conditioning. Not "some." Not "most." All. This is the kind of delusion that engenders the vociferous and angry invective that she and her supporters are known for. It's why you have bogus terms like "the patriarchy" and "misogynists" as a staple of her argument. Because, in the end, she's fighting reality... and it angers her.

Let me be perfectly clear in what I mean. Men and women are not the same. There are over 528 biological differences between them, differences that evolved over millennia, to better suit men and women for the primitive roles they played before civilization. Go back 5000 years and look at gender roles. You will find that they weren't "invented" to keep women down; they were based on the very real living conditions of the time. With a life-expectancy of 30 years and a 50% child-mortality rate, human life was tough. There were no social safety nets for the elderly, meaning that those people lucky enough to make it to old age would be dependent on their children for their support. That means most women would have had to stay pregnant constantly, simply to produce enough children that the half that survived could support them. Men evolved better spacial awareness and more muscular frames to assist in their roles as hunters. These are all well established biological facts.

Now, as societies have become more productive, as standards of living have risen, men and women no longer need to obey their biological roles in order to survive. This is a good thing. In fact, our societies in the West have advanced technologically to the point where we can easily say that men and women should have the same societal responsibilities and privileges (voting, legal standing, pay, etc.). But evolution does not work as fast as society changes. And men and women still carry the biological differences of their primitive ancestors.

These have real world consequences. Look at Sarkeesian's complaint about the animation for walking. Women's hips are constructed differently than men's (on average). Were you to motion capture an average woman walking and a man walking, you would instantly be able to spot the stick-figure that was female, just from her gait. So complaining about this in a video game (even when exaggerated) is ridiculous, especially when what qualifies as "exaggerated" is not an objective standard in the first place.

Likewise, when it comes to representations of female as, say, warriors, once again reality intervenes. Even modern militaries (whose inclusiveness has more to do with politics than capabilities) have a difficult time with female front-line troops (the ones that do use them tend to be the small nations facing existential threats, like Israel, or the nations that don't fight anyone, anyway... see Scandinavian militaries). The US Army has had to develop a training course to prepare women for the Ranger training, because they are so desperate to get a female through the course. Think about that! They have to train the women extensively just so they can have a chance to not wash out on the first day (which none have managed to avoid so far). This is totally a product of the biological differences between a peak-performing male and a peak-performing female. It's why we have an NBA and a WNBA.

Such biological differences aren't all in the males' favor, though. Most courts still give women preference in child custody cases, for real biological reasons. But to deny that women's bodies and minds are built differently (talk to any college or professional-level trainer about men's and women's knees, for example) is a direct contradiction of reality.

So what Sarkeesian wants is an unrealistic portrayal of men and women, based on her own personal biases. And she wants this enforced across video games, so that she doesn't have to see the reality of biology thrown in her face over and over again. That's why so many people have a visceral reaction against her. It'd be like having a person tell you that you had to agree the sky was green, or you'd lose your job (just as people have lost their jobs for "offending" the sensibilities of the SJWs). That's the level of stupid this woman represents.

... I think I'm in love...

News Comments > FCC Reinstates Net Neutrality; Unfetters Local Broadband
100. Re: FCC Reinstates Net Neutrality; Unfetters Local Broadband Feb 27, 2015, 02:05 yonder

Zanthar wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 00:26:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 21:30:
Zanthar wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 21:13:

No, I've just been around long enough to see what a festering shithole the USA is turning into.

But evidently not long enough to know much about monetary policy, macroeconomics, or global finance.

A question: to whom does the US Federal government, and by extension the American people, owe that $17 Trillion? Hint: if you're answer is "The Chinese", you're only accounting for $1.24 Trillion. Another hint, this time by analogy: if you borrowed 11 trillion dollars from your wife, is your household 11 trillion dollars poorer?

If you spend that 17 trillion that your don't have, yes you owe that money to someone.

Do you honestly think the government can just inject that much imaginary cash into the economy with no consequences? They are propping up wall street right now, just wait until it catches up with them.

Congrats on utterly failing to understand a metaphor. Let me explain it to you in more concrete terms. A lot of what the government borrows, it borrows from ITSELF. A lot of what it borrows, it borrows from the American people. Those debts are very, very different than borrowing from other nations (which, btw, increases security in many ways. Who goes to war against a nation which owes them money? Much, much more often, they go to war against people who they owe money *TO*.) and banks.

/sigh

Please take a starter course in fiat currency and monetary policy.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy
105. Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 22, 2015, 18:03 yonder

jdreyer wrote on Feb 21, 2015, 17:06:
This is going to be yet another 100 comment SC thread, isn't it.

Popcorn

YUP!!!!!!!

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Patch 4 "on Hold"
4. Re: SOE's SWG Comment Clarified Dec 15, 2014, 21:20 yonder

"Rigorous quality control is of paramount importance to us"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

News Comments > Making History: The Great War Scenario & Demo
3. Re: Making History: The Great War Scenario & Demo Nov 9, 2014, 17:31 yonder

For those who want a nice book on the causes of the war, I recommend (using Blues referral code, of course!) this book:

Great Power Diplomacy: 1814-1914 by Norman Rich

It's a great read (for those of us who love to read about that kinda stuff).

Now... time to DL that demo.

News Comments > Ubisoft vs. Steam?
94. Re: Ubisoft vs. Steam? Nov 8, 2014, 10:04 yonder

Slick wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 20:33:
Quboid wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 10:00:
Develop for Xbox, pay Microsoft. Develop for Playstation, pay Sony. Develop for PC, pay Valve.

just kill yourself.

People like you make me question the specifics of the delete/ban policy on this site.

News Comments > Star Citizen Nears $58M
31. Re: Star Citizen Nears $58M Oct 12, 2014, 20:56 yonder

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 12, 2014, 19:17:
Dagnamit wrote on Oct 12, 2014, 15:35:
HorrorScope wrote on Oct 12, 2014, 15:10:
Looks good.
We need to gif the part where they show the crowd clapping.
Extremely busy HUD.
Dude playing with a controller on a pc only game.

controller sounds reasonable. If i had to choose one control method for a space sim/3rd person/fps combo, I would pick a controller too.

Right but I would choose two. He choose the best of no worlds.

... did you just basically say that you'd play with k&m and a controller at the same time?!

The amount of time the camera spent on the guy was minimal, there's no need to jump to the conclusion that he wasn't playing with both. Ugh... it's PC snobs like you who scream foul EVERY TIME that a controller is used even for a second that give proper PC Elitists like me a bad name.

Learn this lesson, please: A controller is the BEST interface device in games more than 0% of the time.

With that in mind I *LOVE* watching idiots who INSIST on not using a controller in ANY game, cuz they inevitably suck in certain types of games. It's gloriously entertaining!

News Comments > The Evil Within > 30 FPS "Not Supported"
72. Re: The Evil Within > 30 FPS Oct 9, 2014, 16:52 yonder

Crap like this (meaning the comment section) is the reason I click on the Comment Link less and less often here at Blues. Even the awesome Blues crowd is getting stupider and stupider.

The vast majority of the people here are knee-jerkers who refuse to put any thought and effort into thinking why a prima donna creator might want FULL CONTROL of his SURVIVAL HORROR game. Ugh...

To the handful of intelligent people here with the capability of critical thinking... I love you even more. You might enjoy this impression of the idiots here.

OMFG STEVEN SPIELBERG IS USING BLACK AND WHITE FOR SCHINDLER'S LIST?! WHAT A CROCK! HE'S OBVIOUSLY ONLY DOING IT TO CUT CORNERS! *EVERYONE* KNOWS THAT COLOR IS BETTER THAN BLACK AND WHITE 100% OF THE TIME! WHAT A CHEAP JERKHOLE! I'LL NEVER SEE THIS MOVIE BECAUSE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING CAN JUSTIFY THIS BUDGET-DRIVEN CHOICE!

OMFG! STANLEY KUBRICK IS USING AN ANCIENT MITCHELL CAMERA FOR BS "ARTISTIC REASONS" FOR BARRY LYNDON?! WHAT A HACK! EVERYONE KNOWS THAT 35MM IS THE ONE AND ONLY TYPE OF CAMERA ANYONE SHOULD EVER USE FOR ANYTHING! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Now... do I think Shinji Mikami is on the level of Spielberg or Kubrick? HELL no. Do I think HE thinks that? Hell yes.

If you want to swim in the morass of thinking that there's only one explanation for any choice, ever, and that it's always the one that you first come up with, then enjoy you bliss.

I (and a few other posters here) will enjoy living in a world viewed through research, experience, and critical thinking. I'd invite you over to this perspective but, well, let's just say it isn't suited to everyone.

News Comments > Op Ed
37. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2014, 03:11 yonder

Creston wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 15:23:
And yes, you're right, it isn't journalism. But, frankly, where is the room for "journalism" in games? It's covering a consumer product!

Then stop fucking calling it that. Let all these fucking sites stop with their horseshit "we're here to deliver you honest and unbiased news" or whatever other waffling crap that Kotaku dipshit was spewing on a daily basis, and just admit that you're all JUST FREELANCER ADVERTISERS.

I have a suggestion... it's one that I friggin wish cable news would get behind. Stop chasing the "WE HAVE IT FIRST" carrot and go back to the "WE HAVE IT RIGHT" aspect of reviewing games. Sure, there are some games where having a review first matters, but it really shouldn't. More and more games these days are bought during Steam Sales. Games are becoming less and less like movies in that the vast majority of the revenue comes at the very beginning.

Anyone who doesn't seem a preview as just a 6-page ad makes me sad. I actually still actively subscribe to PCGamer mostly out of nostalgia (tho it gets worse and worse and worse... I kid you not last year one of their editors picked Sim City as GOTY... *sigh*) but all it does is remind me of when they were actually really good.

Here's the thing tho, they're a printed magazine. They don't need to chase the FIRST because they're never, ever going to get it. It's stupid.

Television news should hop on the "You heard it somewhere else first, now hear the real, ACTUAL news from us, because we have journalistic integrity" bandwagon and I would absolutely LOVE it if game reviewers did the same.

Is this just a horribly naive pipe-dream (mind you, I didn't say it was likely)? Is it just wishful thinking?

If I read a review that said "We played the retail product 40 hours and this is what we think" then I'd give that a lot more credence than a review that is published the literal day that a game comes out.

181 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo