Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for yonderboyOSLT

Real Name yonderboyOSLT   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname yonder
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 7896851
Description
Homepage http://www.planetdungeonsiege.com
Signed On Oct 8, 2005, 00:21
Total Comments 142 (Novice)
User ID 23920

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Premium Beta
13. Re: Elite Dangerous Premium Beta Apr 10, 2014, 11:55 yonder

This site's community is usually utterly awesome and consistent (with a few consistent exceptions), but this utterly baffles me.

$150 and $295 for early (i.e. test) access and hardly a scoff? Two weeks ago, GalCiv3 offered Early Access for 100 bucks that guaranteed you 100% of future DLC and the response was nearly universal disdain.

Sure, the only person who commented on both seems to be Rigs (I really didn't bother doing a full comparison) who *IS* consistent. But still... where are all the GalCiv3 naysayers here?

That being said, I truly wish I could afford this. Oh well... I've been waiting for this game for 30 years. I can wait a few more months.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
25. removed Feb 26, 2014, 17:59 yonder

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Feb 27, 2014, 06:51.

News Comments > THIEF System Requirements - Mantle Support via Post-Release Patch
26. Re: THIEF System Requirements - Mantle Support via Post-Release Patch Feb 23, 2014, 23:49 yonder

Cutter wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 23:05:
Umbragen wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 21:07:
Damn, I just bought a new system and I'm already dangerously close to the recommended specs. Did I miss something?

Why would you buy something that low end to begin with? if you can't afford it all in one shot, do it piecemal.

I've actually never understood piecemeal computer building. Unless you're buying a piece on mega-sale, then it's going to cheaper in the future. Just save up and buy it all at once. This is assuming, of course, that you're talking about a whole new rig and not just an upgrade or two, which is what I'm pretty sure Umbragen was talking about.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
31. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2014, 03:47 yonder

I cried the whole time BN was down, including the time that only the comments were down. Then I got paranoid when I forgot Steam's weekly maintenance downtime, I thought there was a major DDOS going on.  

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Slowed by Cash
13. Re: Pillars of Eternity Slowed by Cash Feb 8, 2014, 13:44 yonder

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 8, 2014, 12:59:
Cutter wrote on Feb 8, 2014, 12:27:
My bone of contention is these KS' should be coming out with their original plan on schedule and the stretch goals as DLC/expansion stuff later on like Shadowrun is doing with the Berlin campaign. Most of these games all have editors and claim to be iterative enough to warrant several playthroughs so there's no reason not to do it that way.

Uh... I can only say, I massively disagree. If a Kickstart project would pull this stunt I'd revoke my pledge.

Good to see Cutter is in the massive minority. Unless, of course, the Kickstarter backers had that future DLC included as part of their backing.

The closest I can see is "Well, what we wanted was to make a basic, 20 dollar game, but you guys backed us so much that we're going to make a full-on, feature-full 60 dollar AAA game. Thanks!" That's, honestly, the closest I can see that I'd accept.

And I'm confused, doesn't Cutter know how "future DLC" and "several playthroughs" more often than not clash?

News Comments > Beyond the Sideline Football Announced
7. Re: Beyond the Sideline Football Announced Feb 1, 2014, 03:29 yonder

Quboid wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 23:03:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 22:52:
nin wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 22:23:
All 32 real American football teams with their real players and current rosters.

That can't be cheap.

Yeah. EA holds the NFL license so these guys must obviously be somehow connected to that rotten apple which does not bode well for the whole bunch...

The label 'NFL' is conspicuous in its absence, if they had the license it would be one of the first words in the press release. I doubt they have the proper NFL license but they may have some sort of access. I've known soccer games to have real players but not real competitions - even the daddy, Football Manager, has to fake a couple of competition names (unless you mod it, which they make ridiculously easy to do).

What do they mean by "All 32 real American football teams", are there 32 NFL teams? Are there other leagues? Are there not thousands of American Football teams throughout the country? I know you don't have promotion and relegation like most national soccer leagues but there must be other teams. College football?

The NFL has an anti-trust exemption (just like most other major sports). Further down the list, they talk about "Division I Colleges", so no, it's not college football. NFL is the one and only "real pro" league. And yes, there are 32 teams in the NFL (until they stupidly give LA a team but that's a whole other conversation).

There are "semi-pro" leagues and of course there's "Arena Football" with 14 teams and the CFL (Canadian) with 8 teams.

So, yeah, 32 teams pretty much means the NFL. Or so one would think... But the NFL is also highly covetous of its label and maybe they have a licensing agreement for access to team and player names but not to "the shield" (the NFL logo and name). Knowing the NFL, I wouldn't be terrible surprised if that's the case.

News Comments > SOE's SWG Comment Clarified
7. Re: SOE's SWG Comment Clarified Jan 28, 2014, 12:48 yonder

KS wrote on Jan 28, 2014, 12:25:
Swg was like City of Heroes -- jammed to the gills with innovative stuff (whether they were technically first or not).

I especially liked the way you could chain and program and play back entire dance performances. Cooler still, you could have several people driven by the same script, all dancing in perfect synchronization. This worked for instruments, too, IIRC, but there was no general note playing (which would have been cooler still but they were probably scared of copyrighted songs).

Entire player towns, with more than just houses, and elected mayors.

"Oh no, kreetles!"

Pretty good character customizer with lots of sliders, esp. face.

To do better: Make speeder travel a lot faster. These huge worlds are not your daddy's MMO anymore.

Maybe true 3D travel depending on milleu. That this isn't standard outside fantasy is so 1997.

And then, of course, SOE told those of us that loved it to take a hike and gave us crap so horribly bad that it shall forever live in the bowels of gaming infamy.

Sorry Sony (not really), I'm still not over what you guys (and LucasArts, to be fair) did to us. I was a merchant/mayor/musician/architect that went MONTHS between fights... name one other major MMO where you could do that. Tears still come to my eyes when I talk about it.

News Comments > Thief System Requirements
65. Re: Thief System Requirements Jan 20, 2014, 02:57 yonder

Jerykk wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 01:36:
Sorry, yonder, but you're mistaken. If you're playing a game in a manner that the designers never intended or foresaw, that's emergent gameplay. Doesn't matter if you're exploiting a bug or not.

I'm perfectly comfy agreeing to disagree with the exploit-accepting half of that definition. Just as long as you are aware that, if this community is any decent measure (and it usually is), you're in the extreme minority. Wall-hacks in Counterstrike, for example, are cheats... not emergent gameplay.

Skiing in Tribes redefined how the game was played and resulted in many other emergences, such as mine-discing, disc-jumping, mortar-jumping, grenade-jumping, bodyblocking, beacon stopping/jumping, etc. None of these tactics or maneuvers were explicitly designed by the developers and were instead created/discovered by high-level players who needed to innovate in order to remain competitive.

Tribes had TONS of emergent gameplay, that's one of the many appeals. I just don't include the things that later became regarded as exploits, and one of your previous posts included it. In regards to Tribes, that's the only thing I disagreed with.

Look up "emergent" in the dictionary. Note that one of the definitions (and the only one really applicable to videogames) is "arising casually or unexpectedly."

I did, as implied earlier. The dictionary definition wasn't much help:

1. coming into view or notice; issuing.
2. emerging; rising from a liquid or other surrounding medium.
3. coming into existence, especially with political independence: the emergent nations of Africa.
4. arising casually or unexpectedly.
5. calling for immediate action; urgent.

So I looked up emergent gameplay:

Emergent gameplay refers to complex situations in video games, board games, or table top role-playing games that emerge from the interaction of relatively simple game mechanics.

It's properly using the tools you're given to come up with solutions that the designers didn't come up with on their own. Again, I know you disagree, I'm just giving you another example. Is stashing some aces up your sleeve in poker emergent gameplay? By your definition, it seems so. Most of us, I'd think, would vehemently say no.

Also, please tell me how removing manual jumping REALLY limits the openness of the game. Did it allow you to reach places you weren't supposed to go in the original games? I'm going to keep posting the links I posted earlier until people actually click on them:

Um... *YES* it did. That's a superb example of emergent gameplay. But that's not my personal issue with the manual jumping issue.

Everybody in this thread should watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pWLqx9Q0UA and then read this: http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/Stealing-Time-Episode-4?theme=thief

Finished watching the video? Good. Now please tell me how the traversal in that game is any more limited than the traversal in the previous games. Hell, the traversal in that video showed more mobility and verticality than any of the previous games ever had. Also note that the player falls off ledges several times in the video.

Happily. You didn't ask, but that "knock the big box down and use the box to climb up to that ladder" thing at about 45 seconds is a superb example of what we don't find appealing. At 2:35, he climbs up some wooden bits and auto-jumps to the next horizontal beam. Later on, he's hopping from beam-to-beam.

Now... I love me some Arkham and Assassin's Creed. But I'd prefer my Thief to be Thief, and not Arkham and AssCreed. Thief is built around tension, and not requiring any skill at all to get from place to place breaks that immersion, and autojumping *IS* "not requiring skill blahblahblah". I'm not saying I want to fall off the beams like a newbie in Super Mario, but I also definitely do *NOT* want something that difficult to be automatic. Of course, now we're talking immersion-breaking and not emergent gameplay, just in case that wasn't obvious.

What we want is "Here's a level, let's see how you figure it out" not "Here's a level, see if you can figure out the solutions we left in the game for you."

What we want is to be able to play it in front of the designers and them say "holy crap, never even thought about that!"

We don't see that concept as being compatible with what is being presented here. At least not FULLY compatible.

Listen... this looks like a superb game. But it's called Thief. If you want the prestige that comes with a historically beloved classic game, then darnit, you deserve the scrutiny. If this wasn't called Thief, people wouldn't be apply (or shouldn't be nearly as much) the same standards. The name invokes the standards.

Look at Sim City. It *MAY* have been an acceptable game (I'm being excessively generous here, just pretend) on its own. But EA insisted on applying the "Sim City" moniker to it. And thusly they got reamed for it. VERY deservedly so.

This game looks fun. If it was called "Bob's Stealy-stuff Simulation" then I think most of it would think something more like "Hey... that looks like AssCreed and Arkham and that kinda game" and less like "Hey... that reminds me of Thief, one of my all-time favorite games".

The comparisons and the wariness are valid.

And, finally, thank you for being mature and quantifying your points-of-view. Yet another reason I love this community. Still think you're dead wrong on the definition of emergent gameplay, but that's fine.

News Comments > Thief System Requirements
56. Re: Thief System Requirements Jan 20, 2014, 01:19 yonder

Redmask wrote on Jan 19, 2014, 18:24:
Some of you are pretty damned reactionary when you've observed less than 10 minutes of gameplay and none of it firsthand. Take a fucking pill and wait for the reviews then.

Some people actually have the ability to learn from the past and spot patterns. For example, I knew Sim City would be a gigantic turd LONG before it came out. Cuz I'm intelligent enough to be able to figure it out.

Anywayz... I think Jerykk would like an example of emergent gameplay in the original Thief games.

And sorry Jerykk, you're wrong, the Tribes example is an exploit. Exploits are NOT emergent gameplay. If 75 people write down the definition of a word and 74 of them have the same definition, then what is LIKELY the case is that the 1 person's definition is wrong. Not always, but likely. What would be a superb example of emergent gameplay is the solutions people came up with in Black & White. The players were provided with a set of tools and figured out their own way through the levels. Yes, the developers had a pretty good guess what most people would choose, but plenty of people chose methods/paths/solutions that completely surprised the developers.

*THAT* is what emergent gameplay is. Not exploits of bugs.

I think Jerykk would appreciate some SPECIFIC examples of the emergent gameplay that we all loved with the original Thief games.

As for the people saying "They only changed one or two things as far as you know" well... there are plenty of things that it's okay to change. And some that it's not.

If I'm baking a cake and I use half the sugar or cream, it'll still basically be a cake. If I use half the eggs... it won't really be a cake. Eggs are a VITAL ingredient. Sugar and cream are important, sure, but the cake will be mostly fine without them.

People are saying that jumping and things like that are like eggs to a cake. And, in general, I mostly agree with them. Not allowing manual jumping REALLY limits the openness of the game, just as an example. And openness was a huge aspect of the appeal of Thief.

While Thief wasn't quite a "software toy" like The Sims or certain, pre-WoW MMOS (except EVE, kudos to EVE for staying awesome), it was kinda close in many aspects. Many of us old-school Thief lovers see the very specific changes as intentionally moving away from that software toy quality that we enjoyed and moving more towards generic, AAA games.

And for those who buy the whole "It must turn away from the classic Thief lovers in order to appeal to the mass market so that they can afford to make it"... HOGWASH. Put a "hardcore, oldschool Thief" game aside a "modern, AAA, mainstream Thief" game in fundraising and you very well may be surprised. I won't even bother listing all of the major funding examples lately of people HAPPILY giving money because someone is FINALLY able to make the game that they've been dying to buy for years.

Anywayz... yeah... give Jerykk some specific examples (the person who was talking about falling off ledges earlier did so) to illustrate, specifically, what we mean. And Jerykk... I thought about posting the actual definition of "emergent gameplay" as found in many, many places on the internet... but decided not to. Your definition is simply wrong. Not entirely, just somewhat.

News Comments > SOE Going Forward With Unified Subscriptions
13. Re: SOE Going Forward With Unified Subscriptions Jan 7, 2014, 19:36 yonder

MajorD wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 15:45:
WTF am I missing? $14.99/Month (~$180.00/year); how is that attractive, or even a deal?

With as many games most people have in their libraries, most unfinished and a lot un-played, I just don't see the logic is shelling out $14.99/MONTH to play a game(s). /shrug

It's not to play "A" game, it's to play ANY of their games.

Let's say Sony hadn't annihilated Star Wars Galaxies and it was still an ongoing, fairly unique MMO. Let's say you play that still. Now, let's say you also want to play some EverQuest. Now, let's say there's an upcoming subscription-based MMO that you're really interested in.

In the past, that'd be 3 subscriptions.

Now it's one.

Because c'mon, you're not playing them at the same time...

*THAT* is the value. *IF* you're interested in multiple subscription-based Sony MMOs then it's a great deal.

... but I'm still burnt from SWG... I miss my dancing wookies!

News Comments > No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs
33. Re: No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs Jan 6, 2014, 17:13 yonder

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 14:15:
Fuck them. Bought Tomb Raider Survival Edition for the PC at full price. One of the few games I bought for full price in the last year. And now this ass rape for PC gamers again. Guess how many more Tomb Raiders I will ever buy at full price again dear Square Enix? Yup. You got it. You assholes.

I thought the idiot Firster would win "Stupidest Bluesnews Comment Of The Year for 2014" but congrats on outdoing him (gender assumption, just because).

Let me explain it for incredibly stupid and moronic folks like you and two earlier people with an analogy.

The xbox360 version of Tomb Raider is a car that goes only 30 mph.
The PC version is a car that goes as fast as you can drive.
The xboxone version is a car that goes only 60 mph.

How is that not incredibly obvious?

Seriously... what are you doing on a site like Bluesnews where things like intellectual discussion and being educated are actually valued?

Also... way to stay classy with the ass-rape analogy.

You, Parker, are a terrible and completely unenviable person. I hope you're simply a 13 year old who doesn't have much education and has just discovered cursing and therefore has no clue how to use vulgarity properly and therefore has a chance to mature.

News Comments > Silent Hunter Online Open Beta
9. Re: Silent Hunter Online Open Beta Sep 16, 2013, 20:02 yonder

Keith wrote on Sep 16, 2013, 19:17:
Graphics look pretty good, especially for a browser game. I spent some time and tried the walkthrough; was solid and easy to understand. Shit is free... why the whining?

Because people would rather have something good instead of something free.

News Comments > PC Grand Theft Auto V Evidence?
56. Re: PC Grand Theft Auto V Evidence? Sep 16, 2013, 00:35 yonder

Kosumo wrote on Sep 15, 2013, 18:00:
Having not played RDR since I don't own console or TV, was it not designed more with the controller in mind be that it had the 'dead eye' system which would be silly on a PC for starters? As I said, never played it , only watch some youtube videos of it.

Dead Eye was just glorified bullet time, and we all know what platform Max Payne is best on (or, at the very least, started out best on).

News Comments > Steam Trade Offers Launch
8. Re: Steam Trade Offers Launch Sep 5, 2013, 10:30 yonder

The comments here are exactly why Microsoft's XB1 deal was, minus the horrific 24 hour checkin requirement, so appealing on a certain level.

If they had simply said "like Steam but better" throughout their presentation, it would have gone over so much better. That, plus, the 24 hour thing. Ugh...

News Comments > Panzer General Online Announced
4. Re: Panzer General Online Announced Aug 20, 2013, 08:29 yonder

Kajetan wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 03:59:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 21:13:
So the original PG was a turn-based game that required good use of support units and combined arms. After watching that trailer, I have no idea what kind of game they're making.
It's supposed to be some kind of trading card game, like MTG or others. Playable in your browser, online. *yawn*

Actually Panzer General: Allied Assault on the XBLA was a CG-like (and apparently board-game-like as well) game... so it very well might be just this.

And yes... *yawn*. The Panzer General Series was a classic and had many high points... but this isn't going to be one of them.

News Comments > Europa Universalis IV Preorder Bonus DLC Plans
5. Re: Europa Universalis IV Preorder Bonus DLC Plans Aug 7, 2013, 22:09 yonder

Now normally, I'd jump on the pre-order bandwagon with the rest of you but...

1)Look at what they're offering. Sprites and music. Sure, they're neat to have, but they're not what I'd consider "part" of the game. This is nowhere near EA cutting out a plot-vital part of Mass Effect 3 and selling it for an additional 10 bucks on launch day. If anything is okay to sell as DLC, it's completely meaningless stuff like music and sprites.

2)That converter... well if you're whole-hog into Paradox games (specifically the four biggies... CK/EU/Vicky/HOI) then you know that that converter is something you've wanted for a long, long time. And based on the fan-made projects I can understand why they didn't have a Paradox-made converter done until now. That's a MASSIVE amount of work. The fan-made ones logged hundreds upon hundreds of hours. It's easily worth 10 bucks (or free with pre-order) in my book.

3)Sorta like Horse Armor... I look at this stuff as a tip to the developer. I sink hundreds upon hundreds of hours into Paradox games (again, the big four). I am basically paying a few cents per hour of entertainment. I don't mind upping that total a bit. But... that's the view of a long-term Paradox nerd. I don't quite know HOW it happened, but Paradox burst into the mainstream with CK2. And kudos to them.

4)And this is a biggy. The base EU4 game costs 40 bucks.

... 40 bucks.

Seriously guys... 40 bucks. (or 45 depending on if you know how to shop).

I don't mind developers of games I love getting a few extra bucks. In my book... this is the proper way to do it. Do you know how much I am missing if I don't have the Winged Hussars Pack? Diddly Squat.

And a side note, and I'm not sure why this isn't mentioned... I pre-ordered EU4 and got CK2 for free (unless I missed it somewhere, which would be quite believable). Seriously guys... this is a superb deal *IF* you enjoy this type of game.

News Comments > Europa Universalis IV Preorders Get Crusader Kings II & Save Converter
4. Re: Europa Universalis IV Preorders Get Crusader Kings II & Save Converter Jul 30, 2013, 20:23 yonder

RaZ0r! wrote on Jul 30, 2013, 18:07:
I'm a huge Paradox fan, but this sounds dorky really. Is anyone excited by this? I would have much rather just had a head start on the truckload of DLC they are sure to release.

... WHAT?

Have you not ever perused the AAR section of the forums? The "Crusader Kings through Hearts of Iron" single game is a feat dreamed of by many and achieved by oh-so-few...

In fact, you're the first one who claims to be a Paradox fan that doesn't have a nerd swoon (trying to keep it clean) about this.

Are you sure you're not referring to Paradox as a publisher as opposed to a developer?

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online in Spring; New Trailer
21. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in Spring; New Trailer Jun 11, 2013, 19:37 yonder

Fibrocyte wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 16:59:
fujiJuice wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 11:03:
Fion wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 10:07:
I'm a little worried because afaik it has not been playable at any convention to date, even with a release date barely six months away. I was playing GW2 at Pax East two years before it even hit, 40 minutes a go.

It says spring 2014, why do you say six months?

Because of Blue's misleading title. He really needs an editor.

Because June + 6 months = Spring?

News Comments > EVE Online TV and Comic Plans; $149.99 CE
22. Re: EVE Online TV and Comic Plans; $149.99 CE Apr 29, 2013, 16:38 yonder

As long as they've learned from the 20 dollar clothing and 70 dollar monocle, then this sounds perfectly awesome.  

News Comments > EA Partners to Close?
19. Re: EA Partners to Close? Apr 25, 2013, 12:54 yonder

Beamer wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 09:22:
I'd call it a huge surprise. The only innovative and good projects were coming from Partners, Partners was often lauded as extremely successful and well liked by the third parties, etc.

You obviously have far too high of an opinion on EA as a company. Most of here seem to be saying "They did something utterly stupid? ... yup"

I never, ever understand why people are surprised by EA's bungling. Where have you/they been the past 25 years or so? Being surprised by a stupid EA decision is like being surprised when EA purchases a beloved developer and then runs their formerly-awesome games into the ground.

It's like being surprised that water is wet.

142 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo