Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Caio Pontes Martins

Real Name Caio Pontes Martins   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Cpmartins
Email cpmartins@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 2, 2005, 22:52
Total Comments 110 (Novice)
User ID 23887

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Sep 21, 2014, 20:12 Cpmartins

Yeah,and as with anything related to censorship on the internet, I can only see this ending very, very well to the ones implementing it. They never learn.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > MS to Reveal $2.5B Mojang Deal Tomorrow?
47. Re: MS to Reveal $2.5B Mojang Deal Tomorrow? Sep 14, 2014, 16:47 Cpmartins

I'll just say this: Get some popcorn because this is going to be sooooo good. As a big fan of modded minecraft I have zero fears of what this might mean for me.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Sep 11, 2014, 22:21 Cpmartins

Starlancer, Freelancer. I'm sure there are other great games.
And make no mistake, if MS buys mojang and tries anything funny with it's licensing and modding community, the same modders will have a freeware version of it within a week. Maybe with a few different specs to throw off the dogs. The game itself is nothing special codewise. Some of the modders are far more capable coders than anyone at mojang.

News Comments > Starpoint Gemini 2 Nears; New Trailer
5. Re: Starpoint Gemini 2 Nears; New Trailer Sep 11, 2014, 12:05 Cpmartins

Bought it last month. Pretty good space combat, kinda of a mix between armada and freelancer.  

News Comments > Op Ed
79. Re: Op Ed Sep 9, 2014, 14:29 Cpmartins

I understand perfectly. One is totally acceptable, one is the death of a career. It's called a double standard.  

News Comments > Op Ed
71. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2014, 19:07 Cpmartins

Let's try a #killallwomen, let's see how satirical it's considered. Let's put on our professional twitter accounts, let's see how that goes.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
85. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 29, 2014, 07:24 Cpmartins

yuastnav wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 20:24:
Cpmartins wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 20:14:
[...]
The only video I linked was to Anita's one.

It would be nice? Why'd it be nice? So every writer out there should include both sexes in relevant positions because that'd "be nice?". And here we come to the problem don't we. I don't want people to be nice. I want them to be good. If someone makes a game about a woman murdering every single men out there for her own enjoyment I wouldn't try to tell them that's wrong. I just maybe wouldn't buy it (who knows, it may be a good enough game, and I might even do buy it), and move on. I don't believe for one second anyone would be influenced by it and would start showing misandry towards men because of it. And that's the whole point in anita's videos. She told us barefaced that the games ARE influencing us. I don't know about you, but I am no sheep.

First of all, you will be influenced. But I am nit-picking because I am not saying that you will be influenced in any noteworthy way. But we're all always influenced by the media we consume, regardless of how much it changes. Again, just nit-picking.

One problem with what you described is is that sexism (and racism etc.) is asymmetric. Historically speaking women were suppressed and that's why a game about a woman murdering men wouldn't be as problematic as the opposite.
Remember that you are circling out one group, one particular group, for whatever messed up reason you thought out. If it's a guy killing black dudes, it's racist. If it's a guy killing women, it's sexist. Women and black people were thought of as less worth and by making a game about something like that you are reinforcing that reasoning and giving it the merit it doesn't have.
As far as I understand that is a cultural thing, though. A friend told me that in Denmark people are much more open to homophobic and racist jokes and what not but that's probably because it's perceived differently.
If we were all completely unprejudiced and rational beings then having a game where a guy killed women or a women killed men would be no problem because we could shrug it off. But if we were that unprejudiced why would such a game even exist; where would it come from, what would be the source or the initial frame of reference for that idea? Only because it can?
I'm not sure about that.

It's an interesting question. Should we stop portraying people as they are in videogames because they have been oppressed in recent history? In my opinion, that's a big no. let the creators decide on their creations free of society bias.

The frame of reference is entertainment for entertainment's sake. Create, don't emulate, for those with the inclination. It has been done before, many times.

Update: An excellent read on double standards in the current state of media (Warning: long read): Link

This comment was edited on Aug 29, 2014, 08:24.

72. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 28, 2014, 20:14 Cpmartins

Beamer wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 19:15:
Cpmartins wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 18:31:
"I believe that's the crux of the argument. Both have you interacting with men in a variety of ways and have men driving the plot, but only one has women doing these things."

One is about a hitman, who is a man. The other is about a chosen one, who can be a woman or a man. There is no argument. No One ever said Lara Croft has a misandric narrative. Because it doesn't. And neither does Hitman. And even if they did, it's besides the point. Developers should be allowed to do whatever they want without fear of social shaming. Notice I didn't say criticism. I meant what Patricia Hernandez (Link) did with Blood Dragon.

As for the link to the second time anita's been lying about developers introducing misogynistic elements in games for the sake of empowering male violence against women, here it is: (Link 2)

And the funny thing about the whole thing is that Josh Sawyer, both Lead Designer and Creative Director for that wonderful game contributed to her campaign, and even tweeted about it.

Stop linking to crappy youtube videos and start just telling people what's in them. I very much appreciate you linking directly to the relevant part, but I'd much rather someone say "here's what is in XXX" and then link to it. We don't all have a lot of time to watch a lot of videos and read a lot of articles. Just tell me what it says and source it. This isn't telling you you suck or a bad person, it's giving constructive feedback that would make replying to you easier and get better responses.

Regardless, you're still missing the point. Anita isn't saying "this game is bad, burn it!" She's saying "here's a pattern that's visible in multiple games." This isn't a witch hunt on her part to point out individual terrible things, it's to show evidence of broad patterns. Maybe you like some of those games. I liked some of those games. She liked some of those games. But there are wide ranging patterns she wants to show.

And she never said Hitman needed to be Hitwoman, she said it would be nice of Hitman featured a single woman that didn't exist solely to die. Or if many games did. Because many games don't.

There's a huge difference between "Here's another example of a game where the only female characters exist to die" and "Hitman is a terrible game because you can't play as a female character and everyone that enjoys Hitman is a terrible person."

She's saying the former, not the latter.

The only video I linked was Anita's one.

It would be nice? Why'd it be nice? So every writer out there should include both sexes in relevant positions because that'd "be nice?". And here we come to the problem don't we. I don't want people to be nice. I want them to be good. If someone makes a game about a woman murdering every single men out there for her own enjoyment I wouldn't try to tell them that's wrong. I just maybe wouldn't buy it (who knows, it may be a good enough game, and I might even do buy it), and move on. I don't believe for one second anyone would be influenced by it and would start showing misandry towards men because of it. And that's the whole point in anita's videos. She told us barefaced that the games ARE influencing us. I don't know about you, but I am no sheep.

66. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 28, 2014, 19:14 Cpmartins

Redmask wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 19:03:
yuastnav wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 18:52:
As a compassionate being your first reaction shouldn't be one of irritation but of empathy. Maybe I am too gullible but as I said: that kind of callousness is not something I can readily comprehend.

That was many peoples first reaction. And second, third, fourth and then it started to become really obvious what was going on. People use terms like victim complex because that is exactly what is going on here.

That exactly how I felt about it at first. I couldn't understand the point, because noone I know, a lot of guys and a few girls, never experienced the issue. So I watched her videos and was astounded at the amount of veiled and blatant lies she spews forth.

And so I, one who had no thoughts on the subject prior, became interested. And so I learned the trolls are speaking for the majority of gamers according to that narrative. Heard that threats on twitter are to be taking seriously. Learned that if you don't bow down and take whatever they are pushing, I'm worse than a rapist. And then I finally learned what this was all about: The money.

The money these victims take in order to demonstrate to the world how much of a victim they are.

58. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 28, 2014, 18:31 Cpmartins

"I believe that's the crux of the argument. Both have you interacting with men in a variety of ways and have men driving the plot, but only one has women doing these things."

One is about a hitman, who is a man. The other is about a chosen one, who can be a woman or a man. There is no argument. No One ever said Lara Croft has a misandric narrative. Because it doesn't. And neither does Hitman. And even if they did, it's besides the point. Developers should be allowed to do whatever they want without fear of social shaming. Notice I didn't say criticism. I meant what Patricia Hernandez (Link) did with Blood Dragon.

As for the link to the second time anita's been lying about developers introducing misogynistic elements in games for the sake of empowering male violence against women, here it is: (Link 2)

And the funny thing about the whole thing is that Josh Sawyer, both Lead Designer and Creative Director for that wonderful game contributed to her campaign, and even tweeted about it.

41. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 28, 2014, 15:50 Cpmartins

"Yeah, that thunderf00t takedown does paint her in a bad light RE: Hitman. Yes, the game does allow you to do that, but you can kill women in most games, but it doesn't mean that the game is misogynistic. Most of the people you kill in Hitman are male. Also, I can kill women in Skyrim (in most RPGs in fact), but most of those games don't single out women for sexist treatment. The thing is, there's plenty of sexism in games without having to go to those lengths to portray a game as sexist."

That is one. The other is misusing Fallout: New Vegas's reputation system to lie about players not being punished when killing a girl in Freeside.

40. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 28, 2014, 15:46 Cpmartins

We have a discussion because we always had. We feel empathy. We know women, and we know when they feel bad.

I understand sexism. I know that if someone is made to be less because of what their sex is, that is sexism. Gaming does not do that. Unless they require that you answer a "male or female" before you start a game.

Funny how that when that actually happened (when console became the clear focus of the industry) we had the discussion, and it went away. Some people dislike it, but that's what happened and we moved on. This is, of course, no happening now. Big gaming stopped catering to us a long time ago.

If you back a liar, then you are no better than them.

36. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 28, 2014, 14:55 Cpmartins

Because she is a known liar. I can give you proof on how she manipulated game footage to get her "point" across. Are we to start believing blatant liars now?  

News Comments > EA's $1B DLC Goal
25. Re: EA's $1B DLC Goal Aug 27, 2014, 01:56 Cpmartins

The game ending after the last quest was one of the things. The other is that it makes absolutely no sense if you have someone who's immune to radiation with you who, for no reason other than bethesda child-level dialogue, refuse to go in and enter the code. That to me was the culmination of the stupid that the entire game had put me through, writing-wise.

Good game though. Had a lot of fun mowing down hordes of supermutants with my power-armor wearing minigunner.

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 14:44 Cpmartins

Nope. Sexism is not a problem. Assholes are a problem.  

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 14:43 Cpmartins

And there's still repeated and regular discussions that don't respect women

Never seen this here.

adult women are the biggest category of gamer and are outspending most other categories

Really? So why isn't the market shifting towards them? Also source please, that is an interesting fact I've never seen mentioned anywhere.

but I don't think there's a single openly female poster.

Maybe because there isn't one

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 14:39 Cpmartins

All communities have their toxic elements. Some more, some less. In those communities, you will find sub-communities that frown upon those practices. Those are the ones I looked for when I started playing in them. It took effort. It wasn't an overnight thing. When I joined BWC, my outfit in Planetside 2, I had already played the game some, and the first ten minutes in the game after release were spent shutting the built-in comms. But I looked. Then I found. Because when you look for something, you tend to find it.

The difference is that I didn't keep an album of all the shit being flung everywhere at everyone at all times that is some public platoons. I said fuck it, let me find my space where i'd like to spend my time here.

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 14:33 Cpmartins

No, "Sexism is not a problem" exists because of SJW.  

News Comments > Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 24, 2014, 14:02 Cpmartins

Dreamcast wat?  

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 13:53 Cpmartins

Sexism is not a problem. I watched the sarkeesian videos as you recommended and by all that is mighty and holy that woman is an insufferable liar. All her arguments are made up and she never, ever, provides any links to anything except her own propaganda.

I looked everywhere I could on my gaming circles and found nothing. Zero. Nada. If anything women are more respected than men, but the sample size is so small I couldn't tell. Again, this is from personal experience.

A lot of Planetside 2, Team Fortress, WoW, Guild Wars 2 and Neverwinter Nights (though the last one isn't a regular choice for me)
On PS2, out of our 120 players (3 platoons) last friday, we had 2 women, and one of them was a commanding officer who was there just to organize and take attendance. WoW and GW2 we had more, maybe 20%? Not a single instance of disrespect on both counts. RF2 i wouldn't know because fuck me if I'm going in VoIP on that.

110 Comments. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo