Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sentience

Real Name Sentience   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Masa
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 14, 2005, 04:15
Total Comments 3907 (Veteran)
User ID 23794

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2009, 21:08 Masa

That Twitter is the only one I've ever seen worth reading.

Saying The Da Vinci Code sucked? Shrug. Lots of people have said that.

I really wish that site would die.

That and mobile texting.

This comment was edited on Sep 5, 2009, 21:18.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Cities XL Demo
7. Re: Cities XL Demo Sep 2, 2009, 00:25 Masa

It sounds like it needs to get online at some point to be played offline. It also sounds like they're gearing it towards online-play, which...means they'll subtract somewhere from offline.

Pass.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 2, 2009, 00:15 Masa

never mind something as spectacularly painful as Dick Egans way out.

A blast from a scatter gun? The only way that would be painful is if he somehow missed, blew his jaw off, and thus bled to death. And ever after that severe an injury he'd probably still not feel much for a little while.

I applaud the guy for doing the right thing. That takes some serious stones to do that.

Not really. It's pretty much point and click with a firearm. The suicides that fail due to technical reasons (rope or beam breaks, external prevention) are negligible in number to successful attempts. It really comes down to - if a person will make that final jump, they'll either do it or they won't.

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 2009, 00:20.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 2, 2009, 00:11 Masa

It's official: Apple event set for 09-09-09.

I wonder what marketing people will do when 2013 finally rolls around.

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Sep 2, 2009, 00:08 Masa

what are the origins of the "shake a stick at" phrase?

I know it comes from Pennsylvania, early 1800's. My best guess is that it being a rather common saying used by common people, it came from farmers or other menial laborers of the time.

News Comments > Blizzard: New MMOG "Significantly Different" from WoW
11. Re: Blizzard: New MMOG Sep 2, 2009, 00:05 Masa

Just because your time management skills suck doesn't mean mine do.

You sound like you don't have much time after all that.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Inglourious Basterds Aug 27, 2009, 21:38 Masa

I saw the movie tonight and it was a lot of fun.

• Brad Pitt as LT. Aldo Raine was good, though his trying to play himself off as an Appalachian redneck was a little off to me.

• Christoph Waltz made the movie, hands down. His role as Colonel Hans Landa was superb.

• Samuel L. Jackson as the narrator was a cool surprise.

• Raines' carving of Swastika's into Nazi soldiers' foreheads is classic Tarrantino after this movie.

• The dialogue alone is worth seeing this movie. I am probably one of the 2% of the population that disliked Reservoir Dogs, but I'll even admit there were some fairly memorable quotes there. Compared to Inglourious Basterds, RD sucks.

• Overall, a very fun and satisfying film. It's kind of like watching The Passion of the Christ with samurai swords involved; it's ridiculous to a fault, but fucking fun the entire time.

News Comments > StarCraft II LAN Still a Possibility
    54. Re: StarCraft II LAN Still a Possibility Aug 27, 2009, 16:57 Masa

Yifes, I understand where you're coming from on Deus Ex. But I think you're forgetting the forest for the trees. Nothing Deus Ex did was remarkable by itself, as they were done, in some form, in games before it. And really, the individual features of the game were especially defining by themselves, especially compared to games that specialized in them (IE, Thief and stealth play, various RPGs, etc); but again, that's missing the point of looking at the complete game. Taken as a whole game, the game was executed very well. What was remarkable was the way Deus Ex allowed the player to interpret and play the game as he/she wanted.

...since you know that you can either blast your way through a mission or stealth your way through, the availablity of choice detracts from the game experience.

Well...what did you expect? You're playing an UN special forces operative from the outset. I don't know how old you are, but in 2000 when Deux Ex came out, the kind of open-ended play structure expected from games like Hitman, RPGs, and especially the GTA series was just on the teetering edge of becoming a realization. There were some games that accomplished it before 2000, but they were all isometric RPGs or, again, GTA. It just wasn't technically feasible yet for a FPS game.

Go and google some interviews with Harvey Smith or Warren Spectre after the release of Deus Ex. Just do a google search because frankly I'm too lazy to find them for you. One of the two stated the New York skyline in the opening level lacked the Twin Towers because they had to conserve system resource usage somewhere. It was easier to attribute the lack of towers to a "terrorist" attack. And this was over a full year before 9/11.

Where is the tension and suspense of a proper stealth game when you know that if you fuck up, you can switch some augs and just fight your way through?

Deus Ex wasn't a pure stealth game.

A game like Beyond good and Evil does a much better job of making stealth co-exist with action.

Beyond Good and Evil came out in 2003; and gaming in general changed quite a bit in the time between the release of Deus Ex and BGE.

...the gunfights weren't as thrilling as Half Life, the sneaking wasn't as well done as thief...

Both games were in respective genres that rarely went outside of those genres.

...the choices/RPG elements weren't as meaningful as Fallout

"Meaningful" as in, well, meaning what? The consequences of your actions throughout the game? You just got done saying having multiple choices detracts from a game! And the Fallout RPGs were rife with them. Yes, the choices you make in Deus Ex really don't amount to a hill of beans in the end, especially right at the end when you're given a direct choice of a set number of endings. But comparing that shortcoming to what you can do in the first two Fallout games is simply ignoring the technical limitations of PC hardware of the time.

the world wasn't as immersive or intense as the Shock games

Um, which "Shock" game? System Shock 1 or 2, Bioshock? The same oblique arguments you're making against Deus Ex could be made against either of the SS games.

Bioshock could also be said to be too forceful of its immersion on the player; both figuratively and literally. The player does run around in a city under the ocean, for crying out loud. Personally, I really didn't appreciate the boring gun combat. The forced philosophy and Ken Levine's thoughts on existentialism were grafted from a 100-level Intro to Philosophy course. The supposed freedom to complete tasks as the player saw fit had existed in a number of other quality games for years. And Bioshock came out in 2007.

Arguably, Bioshock (despite the obvious reference in name to the System Shock games from which Bioshock was inspired) is the Deus Ex of the past few years. It's gotten about as much praise and devotion and Deus Ex received when it came out. Deus Ex's sophomoric presentation of politics, conspiracy, and terrorism are equivalent to Bioshock's loose interpretation of Randian philosophy and faux-pas morality schemes.

It wasn't a bad game by any means, just one I thought was overrated.

...the story sucked.

LOL! As compared to what? Taking the game as a whole, the story's structure and telling were very remarkable for an FPS-RPG coming out for the time.

Is Deus Ex better than Crysis? Sure, why not, but neither of them are anything special.

There's very little to compare between the two. To argue which is the "better" game you'd first have to establish some sort of weird-ass standard for which to define "better". After that, and if anyone could be bothered to understand that definition, you'd be left with an inane list of differing qualities that come down to mere opinion or cynicism.

It's a very long way of saying the games are about as comparable as apples and oranges. One game in came out in 2000, the other in 2007.

You'd have better luck comparing Bioshock and Crysis. At least those two came out in the same year.

Ken Levine, now there's a man who knows how to make a fantastic game.

He is one of the rare developer leads whose teams have an unusual amount of freedom to create quality games. But if you look at the list of games he's had a hand in, several have either influenced, or been influenced by, Deus Ex.

Nobody is arguing with you about how certain games do certain things better than Deus Ex (except maybe Jerykk), but your reasons for bashing the game could be summarized to simply saying "I didn't like it. 'Nuff said."

This comment was edited on Aug 27, 2009, 17:00.

News Comments > Dragon Age Voice Talent
    13. Re: Dragon Age Voice Talent Aug 27, 2009, 15:09 Masa

But what is the purpose of hiring professional film and TV actors to do voice-overs other than hype???

Heh. I remember Sega's North American port of Yakuza for the PS2. It had some great voice acting done by some pretty-well known people (Mark Hammil and Michael Madsen among them). There was a fairly big outcry about Sega dumping the entire Japanese language track and not including it alongside the English one. Skip to the sequel - they just localized the textual menus and kept the original Japanese language track.

The first Yakuza didn't sell well in NA, so I imagine the money saved from hiring professional voice talent was one of the few justifications for attempting another port.

News Comments > More on id and Linux
    44. Re: More on id and Linux Aug 27, 2009, 14:59 Masa

Do you seriously keep a closet full of 7+ year old equipment? Really and truly?

I have 20 year old equipment in my garage, my friend. There isn't a whole lot of it, but it's all still in quality condition and works. It's kind of like keeping old turntables or musical equipment - it's old but I can't see much sense in getting rid of it either.

News Comments > Weisman: MS "Destroyed" FASA Dev Culture
    60. Re: MS Aug 27, 2009, 14:23 Masa

Sales were poor relative to the other versions.

Sorry, I forgot you were talking about the PC version. To be honest, I haven't talked to anyone who has played it on that platform.

Nearly all bash it solely for massive technical problems. The same problems it got bashed for here repeatedly.

Again, sorry, I forgot which platform we were talking about here.

News Comments > Weisman: MS "Destroyed" FASA Dev Culture
    58. Re: MS Aug 27, 2009, 14:09 Masa

Also, given how terrible GTA4 is, and how it sold relatively, of course we're not getting the DLC.

Just because you didn't like the game didn't make it a "bad" one, per say.

Saying sales were relative to how "bad" GTA4 is doesn't make much sense; the game sold in droves and was highly received by practically every critic who played it. Even if a person is disinclined to trust critic reviews (which I can't blame them) or too lazy to read multiple reviews, GTA4 is one of the few that has any real technical faults with it; or at least not anything that justifies calling it "terrible".

He calls it a bribe because he's trying to imply some form of immoral behavior but none exists.

Yes, it's his modus operandi when displaying arguments for which he has no real point.

Bribery means convincing another party to do something they wouldn't normally do through material means or extortion.

No. "Extortion" and "bribery" are too very different different and separate things.

This comment was edited on Aug 27, 2009, 14:20.

News Comments > Several Years Until All of StarCraft II is Completed
    5. Re: Several Years Until All of StarCraft II is Completed Aug 18, 2009, 22:02 Masa

I'm sure anyone who had any intention of playing the game already has it and has had it for some time. Though, I see Battle Chest packages of StarCraft pop up in the stores now and then, and they're usually gone in a few days; so I'm probably wrong about my first statement.

We are not going to ship the game until it's ready, is the bottom line.

It was read when they shipped. It ran just fine on my PC when I first bought it and was stable.

If the entire game isn't finished why are you instead shipping parts of the game?

Support, adjustment, fixes, and patches? The game IS finished as far as the core game goes, but the adjustments made to online play seem mostly made to keep cheaters of Battle.net and so forth.

It's not like they're putting out a car then repossessing it several years after the customer purchases it to make "to finish it".

Quit your bitching. It doesn't cost you anything but the internet connection to get the updates.

[edit]

And just to add - at least Blizzard's parent, Activision isn't in total charge of supporting their games. Remember Vampire Bloodlines? Troika was bitched and dumped after release and it was the fans that keep on improving the game. Pathetic.

At least Blizzard's support for their products is top rate.

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 2009, 22:07.

News Comments > Wolfenstein Layoffs
    24. Re: Wolfenstein Layoffs Aug 18, 2009, 21:56 Masa

I hear up in Canada you guys smoke maple leaves to calm down. You should try it space captain...  

News Comments > PS3 Slim and Price Cut
    35. Re: PS3 Slim and Price Cut Aug 18, 2009, 21:54 Masa

JRPGs. Right now Valkyria Chronicles is the only PS3 exclusive worth getting. Eternal Sonata's out for the Xbox 360 and FF XIII has also gone multi-platform.

If it's just exclusives you want you should start learning Japanese because they're just not going to come to North America, en masse, anytime soon.

News Comments > Several Years Until All of StarCraft II is Completed
    2. Re: Several Years Until All of StarCraft II is Completed Aug 18, 2009, 21:48 Masa

What's hilarious? That's they're actually still supporting a game that's more than a decade old? I'd call it "swell".  

News Comments > F.E.A.R. 2 Slo-mo Science Trailer
    7. Re: F.E.A.R. 2 Slo-mo Science Trailer Aug 14, 2009, 03:46 Masa

Son, do I have to get out my whipping stick and beat you with it?

Fucking pussy can't even roll his own characters.

/sarcasm.

But you're still a pussy.

News Comments > Dragon Rising LAN [Updated]
    37. Re: No Op Flashpoint: Dragon Rising LAN Aug 14, 2009, 03:44 Masa

I often download games on day one but that doesn't mean I'd rush out to the store and buy it if weren't yet cracked. And if I really, really, really want to play a game (which doesn't happen these days), I'd buy it anyway even if it was pirated.

Er...why? Quite a waste to buy it "just to be legit" if you've already pirated it.

There is no objective and reliable way to measure the success of DRM. However, you can measure the impact of DRM on sales by releasing two versions of the game at the same time: One without DRM (and clearly labeled as such) and one with DRM (labeled too). I'm pretty sure the DRM-free version would sell better.

Good job. You just contradicted yourself.

Just go away, Jerykk.

Has any publisher ever provided any of these "studies" to back up their claims?

Have you bothered to look? To be honest, I'm too lazy to do it myself, but all you've managed to do is throw around a few statements that don't actually say anything.

Now I'm not saying the publishers are necessarily correct, but you're just talking to have a point here.

News Comments > F.E.A.R. 2 Slo-mo Science Trailer
    5. Re: F.E.A.R. 2 Slo-mo Science Trailer Aug 14, 2009, 03:25 Masa

seeing the guy playing FEAR2 with a gamepad made me cringe.

Shutup. You're not even a gamer.

News Comments > Dragon Rising LAN [Updated]
    34. Re: No Dragon Rising LAN Aug 13, 2009, 23:46 Masa

Being as I'm a uni student while working to pay the bills and my 3 brothers are in highschool it means I buy the games...

I'd be making some changes to the spending and distributions hierarchy around your home, 'bro.

3907 Comments. 196 pages. Viewing page 2.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo