Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Robert Spelman

Real Name Robert Spelman   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Madoc Owain
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Arcade games, chainmail dicebags and more.
Homepage http://www.madocowain.com
Signed On Sep 9, 2005, 18:27
Total Comments 15 (Suspect)
User ID 23765

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
32. Re: etc. Oct 2, 2014, 14:02 Madoc Owain

It's really hard not to read most of these in anything but Simpson's "Comic Book Guy" voice.

10 minutes on any public gaming server will show that yes, the gaming community harbors a large number of misogynistic children who exist solely to tear down anyone "not them". It's shameful, and anyone who tries to change that culture has my support.

24-year-old gamer me would spend a lot of time and tears arguing about #GamerGate. 44-year-old me wants to throw up his hands and quote William Shatner.

Now, get off my lawn!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Broken Age Act I
17. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Broken Age Act I Jan 29, 2014, 11:20 Madoc Owain

Call me crazy, but until now I thought "Steamships Ahoy" was referring to games that were Steampunk-influenced, and I'd skip over the announcement.  

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Open Beta
17. Re: MechWarrior Online Open Beta Oct 30, 2012, 10:50 Madoc Owain

PHJF wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 09:17:
I watched one video at random from the web site and it was... awful, in a word. Just awful. A couple of guys clumsily running about attempting to strafe each other, colliding and falling over (while the camera jumps to third person for no reason and starts clipping through world geometry), and then doing it all over again.

The "knock-down" functionality has been disabled with the last patch until it can be properly repaired. Unfortunately this has the effect of allowing small mechs to run through larger ones, so hopefully they turn it back on soon.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Open Beta Delayed
12. Re: MechWarrior Online Open Beta Delayed Oct 17, 2012, 09:10 Madoc Owain

Asmo wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 18:24:
I've still got my 98-99 vintage sidewinder II force feedback stick, but fucking Microsoft won't support the bastard with drivers in Win7 anymore... = |

re: MWO, use mouse + keyboard and turn your mouse sensitivity WAAAAY down. I use the lowest DPI setting on my mouse during matches, helps immensely with precision shooting (ie. continuing to pound weak spots in armour). It may not feel like it when you're getting gangbanged by a premade of cheese build mechs but it's actually quite a measured experience, even booting along in a scout mech. Quick snappy movements don't make a difference when your arms/torso take time to get lined up. Getting your shot right in the first place is more important than mashing the fire key.

Agreed, mouse+keyboard is the way to go due to the way lasers are implemented - they aren't instant-hit, they do damage over time from .5 seconds to 1 second depending on the weapon. This is a game-killer if you try to use a joystick as keeping your facing consistent over that time is nearly impossible without a mouse's precision.

Luckily, the SideWinder force feedback joystick, while not officially supported by Windows 7, IS detected and works fine with this game, with some adjustments to the game's config files.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Open Beta Next Week
35. Re: MechWarrior Online Open Beta Next Week Oct 11, 2012, 15:53 Madoc Owain

I miss Shogo, and the Red Riot. Fun game to play on the LAN in between breaks from Total Annihilation

As far as MWO goes.. once all the content is in and it achieves the polish of a "League of Legends", it will be impressive indeed. The question is, will it survive the open Beta?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 8, 2011, 09:51 Madoc Owain

I've managed to get great, fall-off-the-bone ribs out of a crappy gas grill, it just takes some patience and ingenuity. First, a good wireless grill temperature probe is a MUST. Clip the probe onto the grill rack near your meat. Adjust the gas down until you're at approx. 225F. As my grill doesn't have good vents, I had to turn the gas down all the way, and insert something to lift the lid a crack. This kept my temperature down enough but made the temp vary due to breezes. So long as it didn't stay sustained above 240F, I didn't mess with it further. You definitely want to keep it above 212F. A single rack of baby backs cooks in 3-4 hours this way.

I had to travel with my ribs, so after 4 hours, I wrapped them in foil, and 30 minutes later put them onto direct heat and sauced them. Additional cooking time on direct heat was about 15 minutes, enough for the sauce to carmelize, reapplied sauce and carmelized again. Then I put them back into foil and left them for another 20-25 minutes. I unwrapped them and cut into single rib pieces and realized I'd accidentally managed to make fall-off-the-bones ribs, and won 2nd prize at the neighborhood cook-off my first try.

Next year I'm going for the "real" grill equipment, but it CAN be done with the most basic tools, if enough care and patience adjusting the temperature is used.

News Comments > Into the Black
8. Re: Into the Black Jun 23, 2011, 09:13 Madoc Owain

They're already open in Dallas, the story is over 2 months old.  

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Scales Down Maps for Consoles
25. Re: Battlefield 3 Scales Down Maps for Consoles Mar 25, 2011, 08:57 Madoc Owain

How will pilots eject from their aircraft if they're in airspace that exists outside the ground map? Will they be killed, or automagically routed to the nearest ground map edge?  

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Announced
69. Re: Tribes: Ascend Announced Mar 13, 2011, 12:56 Madoc Owain

Or jump-jetting into a heavy APC that had one open spot, watching the horrified occupants turn towards you as you jump back out, blowing up the whole thing and flying away again!  

News Comments > Remote Game Streaming
10. Re: No subject Jun 4, 2008, 13:13 Madoc Owain

This would be perfect for me - I game but also travel all the time, and don't care to deal with bringing a separate laptop for the task.

News Comments > Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance Patch
11. Re: Here's a few fun ones I've run acros Apr 8, 2008, 10:33 Madoc Owain

I've run into this issue as well, but additionally with the cruise missile launcher buildings.

News Comments > Jerry Bruckheimer Games
2. Hmm.. Dec 19, 2007, 11:33 Madoc Owain

So the game will probably feature a helicopter you fly around in dramatic sweeps across the target, while music pumps in the background.. until someone takes it out with a car. Then you'll be on the ground, and it will always be sunset or sunrise. Finding your allies will be easy - face the sun, they'll start walking ahead of the explosions.

News Comments > Wham-O Game Plans
2. Lawn Darts? Jul 30, 2007, 10:47 Madoc Owain

I hope they put 'Lawn Darts' in there as one of the games. That game would rock on the Wii..

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 10:47.

News Comments > Supreme Commander Patch
15. Re: Much better May 23, 2007, 13:36 Madoc Owain

I still enjoy the frequent crashes on large maps in skirmish that have 7 AI players.

News Comments > Windows Gaming Revival?
37. Re: No subject Sep 9, 2005, 14:29 Madoc Owain

You started down the right path but ended up at the wrong destination. The problem with a console port is not the shiny graphics or the killer sound. It's not even about the bugs that crop up (we can patch those later! ;-)) . No, it's about the difference in gameplay between a console game and PC game. When you're developing a game for a console, you have a much more limited set of commands that the game can accept. You have to do one of 3 things to accomodate that limit:

1. Command "menus". Right-trigger :-left-: left:up:A is great but unless you're hard-core, it's a bitch to remember. Command menus slow down the game, add overhead and take you out of the immersion of the game.

2. Remember complex control combinations. See argument above against these.

3. Dumb down the game. Seriously. If you have a 6-button gamepad with a directional joystick but need to have 36 buttons to accomplish the gameplay tasks, you might have a problem. So game developers have to chuck out some of the "nice-to-haves" like different buttons for different types of grenades.

So you've shaved off the overhead and gotten rid of the cruft and have polished the brass of your new shiny console game until it gleams. Now, port the game to a PC. Your gameplay, painstakingly maneuvered around button sequences and joystick moves, is now dependent on a 110-key device and a mouse. Things your game did that made sense with a joypad don't quite work the same way now. What, am I supposed to buy a USB gamepad for my PC now?

I have a lot more in this vein but will condense it to say there are a lot of things a PC can do very well with a keyboard and mouse that a game console cannot, and vice versa. Games are designed around the strengths and weaknesses of the specific platform. When you move those games to a new platform, they will invariably suffer to some degree because of it. Straight ports of games from console to PC are necessarily dumbed down, but still... they're dumbed down. Please don't dumb down my PC games.

15 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo