Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Undocumented Alien

Real Name Undocumented Alien   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description An Undocumented Alien working in the US, income and FED Tax free, and sending all earned income back to the country of origin. I thank all your super left-wing liberals for all their support and I look forward to getting my driver's licience soon.
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 8, 2005, 15:13
Total Comments 519 (Apprentice)
User ID 23756

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Space Rogue Announced
10. Re: Space Rogue Announced Oct 8, 2014, 08:16 Undocumented Alien

Looks interesting, I've been waiting for a space exploration game like 'Starflight' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starflight) with modernized graphics, this might fit the bill.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Planetary Annihilation in Stores
23. Re: Planetary Annihilation in Stores Sep 5, 2014, 15:42 Undocumented Alien

I probably won't play it for a long while, but definitely will keep it on my radar, especially with MODS that will enhance it over time.  

News Comments > Win8 Age of Empires: Castle Siege Announced
22. Re: Win8 Age of Empires: Castle Siege Announced Aug 26, 2014, 11:13 Undocumented Alien

There's no Clash of Clans on WP

Yeah, that was my first thought, an answer to Clash of Clans for the Win8 platform. Of course they are leveraging the AOE name, but at least they specifically called it "Castle Siege".

A bunch of people had no issue with Blizz leveraging the Diablo name to herd a bunch of nerds to a Real Money Auction house (yes, it's gone now, but was the original direction) so it's done by other "game loving" companies as well.

If you hate on MS for this, other gaming studios like Blizz need to be thrown down the hole as well.

News Comments > Sierra Entertainment Revival
1. Re: Sierra Entertainment Revival Aug 8, 2014, 10:15 Undocumented Alien

Loved Space Quest and Kings Quest, fond memories of the 80's.  

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Patch Introduces AI Personalities
28. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Patch Introduces AI Personalities Jul 16, 2014, 15:42 Undocumented Alien

Jeez... the Diablo 3 threads from long ago should have been nothing but * Removed * with all the posters ragging on each other... but they all stayed... new policy? Not condoning insults, but this seems new.  

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Patch Introduces AI Personalities
21. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Patch Introduces AI Personalities Jul 16, 2014, 08:56 Undocumented Alien

The combat is quite tough. Which is good. I enjoy developing new ways to win close battles, or even battles where I am outmatched. There is a lot of oldschool challenge with Divinity

Yes it is! Challenge keeps one coming back to learn better tactics. When you Load a game, and they show the game tips, I always laugh when I see the 'Save your game often to keep your blood pressure low' (or something close to that) as you do get jacked up from time to time. I mostly do OK, but from time to time Murphy's Law kicks in and everything goes wrong... that timely miss... slipping on ice...

Won't this be horribly annoying? Sometimes I really, really, really want to pick a certain choice like forgiving someone instead of executing them on the spot. If this AI will automatically pick the other option and I'm left with a rock-paper-scissor game against my own companion...

I can see it being annoying, but yet very realistic and perhaps even fun. Do you really want that Rogue that always goes against your play style but yet helps you quickly unlock doors and chests? Decisions, decisions...

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Divinity: Original Sin
50. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Divinity: Original Sin Jul 3, 2014, 21:45 Undocumented Alien

Yeah, created a Knight (male) and Cleric (female), been a great combo so far. I've picked up a couple more allies around the town, ready to start heading out.

Great game so far

News Comments > Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold
13. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 26, 2014, 10:30 Undocumented Alien

I think this game is amazing to capture the young ones like this. I much rather see my kids play something like this than CoD

Strongly agree, my 7 y/o plays Minecraft and also physical Legos, both are great for creativity and imagination.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Launches
3. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 10:28 Undocumented Alien

Not sure if I'll ever play it or not, but congrats to the Dev's, quite an undertaking.  

News Comments > Runic Cofounders Leaving
18. Re: Runic Cofounders Leaving Mar 28, 2014, 09:20 Undocumented Alien

They should have marketed it and sold it straight up as an ARPG and ditched the subscriptions, the game would still be running today had they done that.

I remember being an active participant on the HG:L forums and BEGGING them to drop the subscription model and go with a Cash Shop (Vanity Items, not P2W) and Expansion (i.e. Stonehenge) model to make $$$ as the subscription model was dividing their online user base practically in 1/2 and I would imagine turned a LOT of away from even buying the product. They were saying they were open to such things but maybe it was already too late... businesses need to make money of course, but it's to bad when greed kills potential.

HG:L is still kicking around somewhere, but I think it's in the APAC region.

17. Re: Runic Cofounders Leaving Mar 28, 2014, 09:11 Undocumented Alien

Borderlands (1 & 2) is basically an FPS ARPG style game. And damn fun. One of my all time favs.

Your 100% right jdreyer, Borderlands 1/2 are awesome games and are FPS-ARPG's, but HG:L had that "Diablo" feel to it (Spooky/Demonic), I'd like to see someone, correctly, try that again.

11. Re: Runic Cofounders Leaving Mar 27, 2014, 15:00 Undocumented Alien

I'd love to see a team with these guys lineage (Diablo/ARPG) do a FPS-ARPG like HG:L.

Bill "Sushi" Roper showed that you can mix the typically isometric ARPG elements into a FPS/3rd Person view and still have an ARPG feel to it. Of course he messed up because he was more interested in Adverts and MMO style subscriptions for HG:L instead of just concentrating on making a good solid game, but HG:L could be fun.

If I ever won the lottery, I'd make a go at making an improved HG:L style game.

News Comments > Diablo III Reaper of Souls Launch Party
4. Re: Diablo III Reaper of Souls Launch Party Mar 24, 2014, 10:02 Undocumented Alien

Combat is super fun but I just find myself bored with the games systems after some paragon farming

Yes, I'd love to see a company (like Crate/Grim Dawn, Relic/TL) take what Blizz did with D3's combat and over-the-top ragdoll physics and apply it to an ARPG that actually has you build a character that you care about because you actually put some thought into the build.

While I do have fun sending baddies 30' into the air with D3, I don't feel any attachment to my character(s) as pretty much everything is automated and there is no accountability behind building a character, no sense of ownership.

D3 is fun, but after about an hour or so of playing I find myself exiting to play something else out of boredom, even with coop. Fun but very shallow, which can be good at times for short bursts extreme demon killing.

News Comments > Diablo III Missing Items Fix and Preorder Wings Near
28. Re: Diablo III Missing Items Fix and Preorder Wings Near Mar 21, 2014, 15:25 Undocumented Alien

When a majority of people here get excited about a game I get excited. I've been ignoring D3 until recently with the new patch and expansion, starting to think I should take a look.

It's certainly worth $20.

News Comments > Blizzard Investigating Diablo III HC Character Losses
25. Re: Blizzard Investigating Diablo III HC Character Losses Mar 19, 2014, 14:12 Undocumented Alien

Those games were also designed from the ground up to be played solo, so enjoying playing them in that fashion should not be a surprise

No, they are designed exactly like all 3 Diablo games, ARPG's with a Single Player story line that can be completed by a single player with optional coop. Torchlight 1/2, TQ, and Grim Dawn chose to not have online DRM, that's the only difference.

Playing D3 solo is really selling the experience short IMO... there is much to be gained in the "phat lewts" department (through kill speed and efficiency) by playing with a full group of players.

PoE is designed in basically the same fashion, playing it solo is almost making the experience more difficult for yourself for no reason

Saying that playing a game in a certain way is selling it short is a complete opinion and not a reason for an online DRM scheme. PoE can easily be beaten in SP, doesn't make it harder by playing it that way, not sure where this comes from.

Yes, playing coop, whether on a LAN or internet IS fun, no doubt about it, it's a great option to a single player game.

24. Re: Blizzard Investigating Diablo III HC Character Losses Mar 19, 2014, 13:22 Undocumented Alien

What the people saying D1/2 had offline why can't D3 have it. Is because D3 wasn't designed for offline or single player. It was designed for a coop arpg loot hunt.

Wow... can't you just be honest like 'descender'?

Funny thing is D3 did GREAT with having online only

Yeah, it's a Diablo game, the game can sell millions on the brand name alone, online or offline wouldn't change that.

21. Re: Blizzard Investigating Diablo III HC Character Losses Mar 19, 2014, 13:14 Undocumented Alien

I'm sorry... what? If it weren't for battle.net giving D2 a 10 year shelf life, top-down ARPG's might not even be made today outside of a web browser

I'm sorry, but there wouldn't even have been a Diablo 2 without the SP Offline mode crowd making Diablo 1 such a success. Have to be able to take the first step before the second. There were plenty of isometric games before Diablo (i.e. TSR), I don't think Diablo's success or there lack of would have killed the 3/4 view genre either way.

Yes, the B.NET option was/is great, I had Toons on their myself. However, a large amount of D2's success was still from those SP Offline mode players from D1, especially in the early years of D2.

Sure, it could have had a single player, offline mode... and then they would have sold less copies of the game.

Would have sold less copies? How do you figure that? Even with some piracy D3 would have sold shit tons of units.

You had the chance to "show your disapproval" with your money, but instead you bought this online only game anyway and just whine about it?

Well, due to consumer feedback SimCity 5 provided Offline to it's customers, so why not provide the feedback to Blizzard? Would your day be ruined if they offered it? Would you stop playing?

Yep, I paid $19.99 for it, I'm a Diablo fan, been supporting the Diablo brand from day one (both SP and B.NET), that price made sense to me for 1/2 the game, I'd be willing to pay another $19.99 for the other half. That's what I paid for PoE, I gave them $20 for their SP online only game.

15. Re: Blizzard Investigating Diablo III HC Character Losses Mar 19, 2014, 12:09 Undocumented Alien

The "on-line only" function is straight DRM. There. Does that make your panties unwad for 2 minutes?

Refreshing honesty at least.

Didn't they just say in an interview a few weeks ago that they never should have released an offline version of D2? Man that would ruin some people's holidays.

They released D3 Offline for Consoles, kind of negates that whole statement.

The real question is why the fuck does it bother you so much? At no point was there ever an offline mode, so it's not like you got tricked into buying it and then it wan't there.

If it weren't for the Diablo SP offline crowd we wouldn't even be talking about D2 or D3, period. D1 came out in 1996, the internet wasn't ready for "mass market" online only, Diablo would have failed in that model. D2 came out in 2000, a bit more ready for online play but still strong sales numbers from the SP offline crowd. So the Diablo series was built on the backs of the SP Offline (LAN COOP) crowd. In addition, again, it's a single player story line that can completed by a single player, it's a single player game. Diablo games have a legacy of offline SP, that's why I supported D1 & D2.

Why don't consolers want always on?
Why did SimCity (5) offer an offline mode just yesterday?

I think the answer, if your honest, should be pretty clear.

Why does it bother you that I want a mode (that's been in every Diablo game to date) that doesn't affect you in a any way? THAT doesn't make any sense.

There is no point to playing a loot generating e-peen measuring contest offline by yourself. Unless you are playing ARPG's for the... story? LOL.

Funny as Diablo 1&2 did GREAT without having a forced online only DRM. I played D 1/2 offline to build my character up, explore the levels, see what's around the next corner, beat the game, much like I do with any offline game.

So if you play Skyrim, and because it's an offline SP game, is your character building and progression not worth it because other "kewl" people can't see your loot?

11. Re: Blizzard Investigating Diablo III HC Character Losses Mar 19, 2014, 10:53 Undocumented Alien

Also it's not a single player game, we've gone over this too many times for people that are still bitter to even bother.

It's a single player storyline, can be completed by a single player, coop is optional. How is any of the Diablo games NOT single player? The consoles get D3 offline... again... The. Consoles. Get. D3. Offline.

So by your logic then, the Console version of D3 is a SP game but the PC version isn't, even though they are the same game?

The online-only is straight DRM, we've gone over this too may times with blind fanbois that can't come up with a valid answer to even bother. The president of the Blizzard division all but admits that the online-only is for DRM then throws some marketing speech around it to make it sound... "fun". Oh boy! You can use our antiquated chat interface to communicate with friends! Yippe! Thanks! That definitely makes the game online only... WOW!

I don't have a problem with D3 having an online B.NET option for those that want that (I would use it too), but that's only 1/2 of what should have been shipped.

This comment was edited on Mar 19, 2014, 11:18.

1. Re: Blizzard Investigating Diablo III HC Character Losses Mar 19, 2014, 09:22 Undocumented Alien

Oh boy...  

519 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo