Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Andrew

Real Name Andrew   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Optimaximal
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 8, 2005, 14:54
Total Comments 895 (Graduate)
User ID 23755

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Transverse Funding Reworked
1. Re: Transverse Funding Reworked Sep 12, 2014, 09:44 Optimaximal

So, it's basically a general lack of trust following MWO coupled with a big WHY THE HELL ARE YOU RUNNING THIS YOURSELF WHEN NOBODY TRUSTS YOU, yes?  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gooseman Outs Half-Life 3 and L4D3 Development?
34. Re: Gooseman Outs Half-Life 3 and L4D3 Development? May 23, 2014, 05:59 Optimaximal

...which for some reason gives me the feeling the graphics won't be as good as UE4 maybe.

Who cares? Source's graphics weren't necessarily as good as Unreal 2/3, but it made up for it in other ways.

News Comments > GOG.com Adds OS X Games
15. Re: Bootcamp only real answer Oct 19, 2012, 05:06 Optimaximal

WaltC wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 01:37:
Blah Blah Blah
Your post is at best misguided, at worst downright wrong.

Bootcamp is *not* the solution to Mac gaming - Bootcamp is sidestepping the problem entirely for convenience and/or laziness. Mac gaming is the solution to Mac gaming.

Developers need to break out of the confines of writing exclusively for Microsoft's APIs and embrace proper cross platform programming. Heck, they're already doing it when writing console games for the PS3 (which uses variants of OpenGL/AL).

Valve & Blizzard are spending huge amounts of time getting their products working in Linux, which is often resulting in massive performance improvements over the DirectX builds and has led to them questioning and investigating how much more they can actually get out of DirectX.

Heck, the aforementioned Blizzard work exclusively in OpenGL because it allows easy cross-platform production, whilst iD Software work exclusively in OpenGL because of the greater freedom it offers in building their mental engines. UE3 also supports OpenGL natively. Then you have cross-platform engines & languages like Unity & WebGL which basically make the whole notion of a 'platform' irrelevant.

The only reason that no effort is given to anything but porting the games these days is laziness and/or budgetary limitations, but then again, if you looked in the Mac App Store, there are hundreds of previously DirectX games that have been converted because it's suddenly become viable.

Also, Bootcamp is *not* free, as you need to buy the associated Windows license to use it.

News Comments > Max Payne 3 PC Patch Tonight
7. Re: Max Payne 3 PC Patch Tonight Jun 6, 2012, 05:37 Optimaximal

Is it static, or just more realistic?

Everything in Max Payne 2 was programmed with little weight to demonstrate being the first big Havoc-powered game to market.

News Comments > LEGO: The Lord of the Rings Announced
21. Re: LEGO: The Lord of the Rings Announced Jun 3, 2012, 08:13 Optimaximal

How to you make a ring out of square plastic bricks?
The genius of the Ring means that they never have to awkwardly render the ring on a character's fingerless hand because he'll disappear when he/she puts it on.

News Comments > Ubisoft Online Disruption
30. Re: Ubisoft Online Disruption Feb 2, 2012, 15:07 Optimaximal

Beamer wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 13:53:
Seems like the most sensible way to go. After that 6 month initial window just patch it. Maybe a year, if they want to be conservative. Games don't tend to have that long of a tail.
To be honest, that's sorta what they did with AC2 & Splinter Cell: Conviction.

After an amount of time (and/or sales) they removed the 'always on' aspect. It's not a disc-check or one-time activation (it still phones home once per session) but it isn't a persistent check.

I guess there's no chance of them ever reducing it to a one-off check because someone would compare the two executables and be given a free pass to 100% ripping out UPlay.

News Comments > Steam Group Seeks Communication
14. Re: Steam Group Seeks Communication Jan 12, 2012, 05:51 Optimaximal

Kastagir wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 02:39:
I met Gabe Newell back in 1998. He was half the man he is now.

j/k?

News Comments > Hitman Profession TMed
3. Re: Hitman Profession TMed Dec 26, 2011, 17:53 Optimaximal

Of course, this stinks of 'MMO'.  

News Comments > Skyrim Patched, LAA Fix No Longer Works
45. Re: Valve Single Player Clarification Nov 22, 2011, 06:50 Optimaximal

InBlack wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 06:45:
Or...they could create a launcher (or even the first-run setup thingy) that detects how much pyhsical ram your machine has and set the appropriate modifier (or exe).
Indeed, but such things have to go through QA and other checks before being released into the wild.
It's also something that they may not want to *officially* put their name too, as the LAA modifier takes the program 'out of spec' for an x86 program, something which can cause them many more support headaches should something fall over as a result.

Once again, think outside of the mind of a gamer who understands things like this and consider the whole fanbase that Bethesda has to consider.

InBlack wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 06:45:
I mean compared to all that dynamic lighting, snow, particle effects and whatnot, this isnt exactly rocket science...
Given most of the stuff you see in games is probably either just tweaks to off-the-shelf shaders or stuff borrowed from the Morrowind/Oblivion beautification mods, I'd go as far as saying that's not rocket science either.

42. Re: Valve Single Player Clarification Nov 22, 2011, 04:49 Optimaximal

InBlack wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 04:39:
You cant be serious?? How the fuck is this even possible????? Oh brother....Well this is the last time Im buying a Gamebyro, no, no excuse me CREATION ENGINE game from Bethesda. Dont get me wrong, graphics arent the be all end all of my game experience, but this engine is OOOOOLLLLLD and it fucking shows, fancy, shmancy graphics or no its a clunky piece of shit that clearly cripples the otherwise open-ended nature of this game.
See my recent point - It isn't Bethesda 'enforcing' this, it's more their inaction in breaking out of the default limit...

They could quite happily create the EXE with the LAA modifier enabled by default, but then the game would likely crash on every machine with less than 4GB RAM.

Forethought would say 'create 2 executables - either an x86 & x64 version OR an x86 & x86 w. LAA' but then that's ignoring the fact I'm a person behind a keyboard, not a relatively inflexible monolithic company with a remit to support >7 million users, each with varying .

40. Re: Valve Single Player Clarification Nov 22, 2011, 04:38 Optimaximal

Jerykk wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 04:17:
No. The game itself won't use more than 2 gigs even if you have a 64-bit OS. All of Bethesda's RPGs have had this limitation since Oblivion.
It's a legacy limitation of x86 - Unless you specifically force it to address more memory with the LAA modifier, Windows will not allow a 32-bit process out of a 2GB 'sandbox' so as to ensure the program doesn't hit the 4GB address limit of a 32-bit OS.

Ofc, x86 code has no way of knowing if you're running a 64-bit OS because of the WOW64 wrapper Microsoft use to get x86 working in x64, which could, granted, inject the LAA command into any exe, but heaven forbid Microsoft think outside the box...

64-bit programs have the same limitation, although that limit could be anywhere between 16GB & several TB, depending on the OS you're running.

News Comments > Space Marine Postmortem
14. Re: Valve Single Player Clarification Oct 13, 2011, 06:24 Optimaximal

FAO Relic. By UK/EU examination standards, all three SKUs were worth of a Distinction/First Class Award. That's pretty good going.

Stop being hard on yourselves/listening to aggregated review scores.

News Comments > Notch: Mojang Offered "To Give Up the Trademark" for Scrolls
23. Re: Valve Single Player Clarification Oct 4, 2011, 05:11 Optimaximal

To me, the Kotaku article is misleading (and seems to have an agenda to boot).

Notice how they transparently change the claim against Mojang from 'Scrolls' - which, with the capitalisation, is distinct and can relate to a product - to 'scrolls', which defines the word itself - something that would never be granted, as you cannot trademark a genericized word.

News Comments > PC is Dead to I Am Alive
19. Re: Valve Single Player Clarification Sep 29, 2011, 17:40 Optimaximal

Given that every other Ubisoft release announcement has been full of lies re: the PC version, maybe it's business as usual and they'll suddenly about-turn and announce the PC SKU for release the same day as the consoles, on Steam, with no U-Play.

Heh, see what I did there?

News Comments > No VAC Bans for Dead Island Mods
4. Re: Valve Single Player Clarification Sep 12, 2011, 10:55 Optimaximal

@Blue

The guy has just written 'Verified' in his Twitter title. A proper verified Twitter account has a separate badge that can only be enabled by Twitter.

https://support.twitter.com/articles/119135-about-verified-accounts

News Comments > RAGE Specs
31. Re: Valve Single Player Clarification Sep 7, 2011, 05:08 Optimaximal

Cornholio wrote on Sep 7, 2011, 00:37:
EDIT: unless by some strangeness the pc version doesn't run ogl. If that's the case this would be a first for id software.
I think this engine is OpenGL, but Carmack has publicly stated that DirectX is starting to pull away and unless OpenGL gets sorted, his next engine may very well be DirectX based!

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Steam Preloads
34. Re: Valve Single Player Clarification Aug 20, 2011, 17:09 Optimaximal

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 20, 2011, 13:35:
the_culture wrote on Aug 20, 2011, 13:16:
No, I have a full retail copy on Steam.

You in the press? There is really no other way to get it early, Steam has everything locked down.
If he was in the press, he just broke his NDA - posting any information on the web is embargoed till (i think) Wednesday.

He's likely either talking the Leaked Review build or the full Xbox 360 version, which got leaked the other day.

News Comments > MDK 2 HD Next Month
13. Re: MDK 2 HD Next Month Aug 12, 2011, 16:27 Optimaximal

Hopefully CDProjekt will snag it for GOG.com, just like they did Broken Sword...  

News Comments > More on BF3 and Steam
23. Re: Valve Single Player Clarification Jul 18, 2011, 10:52 Optimaximal

Topevoli wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 09:54:
Its not like steam strong armed consumers into using it. They chose to use it.
Google 'Half-Life 2' or 'Counter-Strike: Source' release. I love Valve and their products (inc. Steam) as much as everyone else, but Valve were essentially the creators of the 'Digital Distribution Dick Move'.

Steam was broken and dead in the water at launch and moving Half-Life (& its mods) too it was met with revulsion from the community. They knew everyone wanted Half-Life 2 and CS:Source, so built it's entire core around Steams CDN. Everyone who bought HL2 over the service knows just how painful that initial download/unlocking process was, but they wanted Half-Life 2.

Valve have also been up to the game ever since... None of their games have any intrinsic value to them short of ensuring people keep using the Steam service.

Modern Warfare 2 starts VAC-banning people due to a bug, Valve give away 2 copies of L4D2 to everyone, with the tagline 'already got it, give them to your friends'.

Portal 2 for PS3 comes with both Steam for PS3 and a SteamPlay license for PC/Mac.

Valve tempt numerous Indies with generous distribution deals providing the games have Steamworks integration, creating a feature disconnect between the generally more popular Steam versions and the releases from other services (or sometimes even the indie's own version).

I still <3 Valve!

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition
1. Re: Valve Single Player Clarification Jul 6, 2011, 03:27 Optimaximal

PR Fail...

Surely calling it 'the follow-up to the critically acclaimed Street Fighter IV' would foster less bad blood after Capcom branded us all pirates and chose not to deliver vanilla SSF4.

895 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo