Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for indiv

Real Name indiv   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname indiv
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description mmmm... sacrilicious.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jan 27, 2000, 01:12
Total Comments 1188 (Pro)
User ID 2373

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Smash Up Derby Demo
4. Re: No subject May 22, 2003, 21:23 indiv

Maybe he just confused you with Milkman Dan.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Robocop Demo
26. Re: No subject May 22, 2003, 14:23 indiv

I used to have my own pimp controls setup but somewhat recently I switched to wasd because I got so sick of rebinding the keys for every single game I played. I wish the industry could come up with some sort of standard key file (like an xml document) so you can import controls from other games.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: THE ADS!!! May 22, 2003, 14:14 indiv

and coming back to constantly check for updates is getting quite annoying with the applet being loaded everytime.

I do not have a speed problem with that applet, but it's sooooo annoying when the applet causes the browser to change its focus after it loads. I'll be in the middle of typing a url or a google toolbar search and BAM, the applet takes the focus away. Grrrr!

I think the whole applet thing is a bit shady, too. What's the applet doing? It has to be doing more than just feeding an ad to us. Anyway, just a few gripes, but of course whatever is best for Blue's News is fine with me.

News Comments > Dear Diary
6. Re: No subject May 21, 2003, 20:37 indiv

Are you saying that I am not capable of reading what is in front of me?

You can apparently read, but you seem to be having a hard time interpreting what you're reading. It's not a game review.

26. Re: X-10 gallery of stalking images May 19, 2003, 02:25 indiv

Whats scary about X-10 is the fact they are still in business... I don't know what the response rate is (.000001%?) but it shows that wannabe stalkers and sexual deviants are alive and well on the internet (no, I'm not surprised).

Well, what most people don't know is that X10 has a wide range of products in the home-automation realm. The spy cam is just one product that they seem to do the most advertising for (not sure why). You can get X10 products like motion sensors, lamp switches, appliance switches, and other stuff like that. I guess they figure that the only way to profit on the internet is to sell to perverts, so they advertise toward that market (or something).

I think their products are neat (I wouldn't mind setting up my PC to control my TV, stereo, and lamp), but I've vowed never to buy from them in fear that I might be encouraging their horrendous ad practices.

News Comments > Consolidation
5. Re: nope... May 18, 2003, 14:48 indiv

Dreamcast was the first console to go online.
I suppose most people forget about Phantasy Star Online?

Phantasy Star Online serves as a good case study for post #3. In the original version for the Dreamcast, you could cheat with the Gameshark (from what I've read), and even do nasty stuff like lock up other peoples' Dreamcasts.

I did a quick search and pulled up this article. Search the article for Gameshark for the relevant information. This is why Microsoft doesn't want modded X-Boxes.

http://www.allxbox.com/gamewatcher/closerlook/phantasystaronline.asp

75. Re: Matrixx May 18, 2003, 01:26 indiv

The Truth,

and u HAVE to agree their is a complete lack of guns and cool gun fights, the only decent one is the car chase,..

You got that right. I was pretty disappointed at the lack of gunplay, especially after the bad-ass scenes in the first movie. But oh well.. judging from the short trailer at the end of the credits, it looks like the 3rd movie has a pretty big gun scene.

19. Re: Where are the game reviews? May 17, 2003, 22:22 indiv

The section seems to have disappeared for the last several days. What happened?

Frans compiles the list of game reviews, and he's attending E3, so we don't get a game reviews section. Shows how important Frans is to Blue's News still!

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=41762

As for the booth babes, they know what they're getting into when they apply for a job at a trade show. The whole point of their job is to pose for people and get "rubbed up against by oily geeks". The booth babes just haven't been the same since the Drakkan babe from 3 or 4 years back. She was hot.

65. Re: Matrixx May 17, 2003, 18:39 indiv

The Truth,

- Neo was TOO good. notice the majority of fights were of Neo alone, i believe they should have mixed the fighters up, ie, add in Morpheous and Trinity into the multi Smith fight, that would have made it much better. As it is, u know that Neo is going to win cos he is so damn good, thats what makes it boring. They should have toned him down, thereby adding tension to the fight.

I have to disagree here. I thought the first Agent Smith fight was quite good as-is because even though we know how powerful Neo is in the Matrix, we see that he can't win the fight. Now Agent Smith seems like a real problem, whereas if Trinity and Morpheus were involved we probably would have seen the fight end because Trinity and Morpheus couldn't hack it, leading to the conclusion that Agent Smith may not be so much of a problem, but it's just that the other characters got in the way of success. The way it played out in the movie we see that Neo has so much control in the Matrix, but he still lacks the ability to destroy the programs.

Yeah, maybe the tension would be increased by having Neo have some sort of weakness, but then his credibility as "the one" would be destroyed. I think it's far better to have his weakness be Trinity (an emotional, i.e., human, weakness) rather than some sort of physical weakness in a fight.

So what I'm saying is that I felt the filmmakers made a nice balance between Neo's superiority in the Matrix in contrast to his human shortcomings. The main protagonist Neo shouldn't be facing the same problems as Morpheus and Trinity--he should face new problems (like getting displaced in the Matrix) to keep the story interesting.

News Comments > Pirates!
24. Re: S w e eeeeeeeeeeeeT! May 16, 2003, 04:26 indiv

Did you catch any of his sit-com?

I remember the episode where he stacked junk on top of himself. Can't recall why he did that....

Haha, yeah I used to watch that show whenever it was on--pretty sure I've seen every episode. I think Chris Elliot is hilarious (for some odd reason). He was simply trying to get a world record in that paricular episode... Oddly enough, that's just about the only episode I remember, too. I mainly remember that the camera did a closeup on his face while he had piles of stuff on him already and it looked like he started spitting up blood, but then the camera zoomed out and he was really drinking juice or something.. hehe, I still get a kick out of it.

Oy, I couldn't remember the name of the show at all, so I looked it up on imdb and found http://us.imdb.com/Title?0098802. The odd thing is, I still don't remember the show ever being called "get a life".

News Comments > Pirates!
15. Re: S w e eeeeeeeeeeeeT! May 15, 2003, 15:56 indiv

... or how about a cabin boy named Nathanial Mayweather and a cupcake that spits tobacco?

News Comments > Rainbow Six 3: Athena Sword
9. Re: Eight WHOLE missions? May 14, 2003, 06:43 indiv

I'd rather you just keep them a little simpler, and actually make five or six per year.

I don't know... Judging from your posting history, I think you'd complain if they simplified the maps to put them out faster, too.

News Comments > Dungeon Siege II Announced
36. Re: What's the Fuss... May 14, 2003, 03:04 indiv

Dungeon Siege 1, Diablo1, and Diablo2 are... adventure games, calling them RPG's is a joke (hint; Gas Power Games) I am not saying that's a bad thing either, just to clear things up.

I can tell you've never played a PC adventure game before...

News Comments > Dungeon Siege II Announced
6. The first one was booooooring May 13, 2003, 12:57 indiv

I couldn't even force myself to finish the first one because of how monotonous it became. The designers forced you to one straight path and you'd see a group of monsters in the distance and if you couldn't take them all out, you'd just lead them to you one by one. Talk about uninspired gameplay. I can see them forcing you to one path in the caves and dungeons, but they really needed to expand the options for forest travel and stuff.

I doubt the game will be better based on this quote:
To emphasize the advances we have made in the RPG genre, we created a very special trailer using the actual in-game rendering engine.

I really hope that they're seriously not considering advances to graphic quality as advances to the RPG genre. A new bump-mapped terrain option or something is not in any way advancing the RPG genre! Now if they're talking about interactivity and free-form movement on the scale of Ultima 7, then that's an advance to the RPG genre. But I guess I won't know until I see the trailer.

News Comments > DOOM III Trailer
26. Re: to Blue May 13, 2003, 11:53 indiv

Did Id make Doom III an Xbox exclusive?

No. When Blue mentioned that "the Xbox [might] be the exclusive console system" for Doom3, I believe he meant exclusive to other consoles (i.e., Doom3 will be on XBox, but not PS2 or Gamecube).

News Comments > Game Movies
3. Re: rainbow six... May 13, 2003, 11:33 indiv

No kidding, that game trailer looks nothing like Rainbow 6. Pretty cool that they're using the Splinter Cell engine, but I really hope they're keeping the R6 damage model intact and focusing more on the tactical combat that makes R6 games good. Can anyone whose played the console version of Ghost Recon comment about the similarities to the PC?

News Comments > It Came from E3, Part 0
3. Pirates! May 13, 2003, 11:00 indiv

Woo hoo! A new Pirates! game!

News Comments > DOOM III Benchmarks
39. Re: holy friholes!!!! May 12, 2003, 17:19 indiv

but my guess is the average game still won't push hardware at resolutions us old timers are used to

Yep. I'm sitting here with my P3 700MHz PC, 384mb SDRAM, and a Gefore 4 Ti4200, laughing at the sheer rediculousness of people who complain that their game dropped to 40fps at 1600x1200 w/ everything turned up. Why, back in my day, I used to have to walk uphill both ways in the snow...

Anyway, the last few times I upgraded for a specific game was for Doom 2, and then Quake, so I might continue the tradition for Doom 3. Depends on what the gameplay reviews tell us about the game.

News Comments > Middle Earth Online
26. Re: Permanent Death May 10, 2003, 13:24 indiv

At which point everyone will simply claim they died because of lag, opening up a ton of problems for the devs.

And of course, if you start restoring characters because they died based on lag, you don't even have to lie to say that you died because of lag.

"Uh oh, my health meter is at 4%!!"
<unplugs modem>

News Comments > Middle Earth Online
23. Re: Permanent Death May 10, 2003, 01:21 indiv

Now, with all those difficulties, and the fact that it's pay-to-play and not free like D2, what would you do as a PKers? Isn't the opportunity much better in, say, another non-PD MMORPG? Is it worth it when it's a LOT easier in another game?

So you're saying that regular players will love perma death because it's challenging but very rewarding, but yet it will drive PKers away because PKing is easier in other games? Uhhh, no. Griefing in a perma-death server would be soooooo much more worthwhile.

I can just see the griefers running through the dungeons in small bands killing people who just finished a difficult combat and are near death, just for the fun of it. A clan getting together to kill some solo players who are camping their favorite spawn points (or whatever).

PKers are jerks. Period. I have a friend who was big into Ultima Online when it came out, and he was part of a PKing gang that roamed around for the sole purpose of killing people and sealing their stuff just for fun. In UO PKing was easy and very rewarding, but that's not really the point. They still would have done it anyway simply because they thought it was damn fun.

Anyway, I wouldn't put so much faith in people. Yeah, perma death works in MUDs and stuff because the people who play those games want to be immersed in the game world and play a serious game. People who play widespread MMORPGs these days don't necessarily share those same opinions. There are groups who like to do nasty things just for the sake of being nasty (it's just a game, after all).

edit: Just wanted to clarify concerning my PKing friend. The stories he tells about his PKing days in UO are hilarious. He and his group of PKers know very well they were being asses, but they did it because it was about 100 times more fun than trying to get by against the horde of other PKers playing the game.
This comment was edited on May 10, 01:28.

1188 Comments. 60 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo