Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for indiv

Real Name indiv   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname indiv
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description mmmm... sacrilicious.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jan 27, 2000, 01:12
Total Comments 1188 (Pro)
User ID 2373

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Exploding CDs! Jun 15, 2003, 17:06 indiv

Unfortunatly it looks like the copyright expired in 02 so i guesss we can all copy it?

The date listed after the copyright symbol is not the expiration date.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: hehe Jun 12, 2003, 20:41 indiv

Bill Gatesed or microshafted, your choice...

Only if his ice maker runs Windows CE.

News Comments > Tech Bits
4. Re: re: Gates foresees cable offering phone Jun 11, 2003, 20:50 indiv

Where has this guy been? I've been getting phone service through the local cable company for well over a year now.

Haha, no kidding! But then again, Bill Gates has occasionally been a bit slow on the cutting-edge technology side of things. Specifically, I'm referring to how he had to rewrite most of his book _The_Road_Ahead_ (and release it as a new edition) because he neglected to mention the Internet as part of the future (oops!).

News Comments > Shadow Vault Unveiled
26. Re: Hmm Jun 8, 2003, 22:48 indiv

Because technically, you're right, that type of situation would create a paradox that, by eliminating the very forces that led to the invading army's creation, would kind of defeat their purpose of going back to save humanity anyway. They'd disapear anyhow!

Yeah, but if they're even there to go back into the past and try to change it, they've already failed because if they had changed the past, they wouldn't even be there to have that option.

I subscribe to Douglas Adams's view that it all just works out in the end.

News Comments > Shadow Vault Unveiled
5. Turn based Jun 8, 2003, 13:11 indiv

The game features describes this one as a turn-based strategy game, but the screenshots show some pretty up-close stuff. Looks like it'll be turn based like X-Com or something, which is pretty cool.

As Homer would say,
Mmmmmmm.... A post-apoc turn-based strategy game.

News Comments > Thief 3 Q&A
17. Re: No subject Jun 7, 2003, 02:19 indiv

But I did enjoy the levels where you couldn't blackjack or kill anyone. ...at least on Expert difficutly.

That would be all of the levels on expert difficulty, if I remember correctly. And expert is the only way to play. But now that you mention it, I hope they provide ways to customize the difficulty level. I enjoyed the no killing requirement, but I grew to hate the high treasure requirements... running through a house a billion times trying to find the hidden lever for the last piece of treasure, even though everyone's knocked out so there's no difficulty, just frustration.

Ibe pretty cool to have some requirements for like no blackjacking allowed or a time limit before people start to wake up. All customizable, for maximum gaming pleasure, of course.

News Comments > Thief 3 Q&A
10. Re: No subject Jun 6, 2003, 22:32 indiv

Hopefully Warren has enough sense not to "streamline" it and make it Deus Thief.

Huh? Streamline it by making it more complicated?

News Comments > Elite Force II Preview
2. A new wave in games Jun 6, 2003, 22:01 indiv

In some missions, you'll need to match the amplitude and frequency of waves;

Sweet! More games should attempt to implement problems with differential equations!

(Although there was this maze game on the Prodigy network where you'd wander through the maze and then eventually find a problem to solve, and then you'd continue in a new part of the maze, and when you got far enough into the game they decided for one of the problems that they'd just throw a calculus problem at you from out of nowhere... it was seriously just a integration problem straight out of a calculus textbook, not a word problem or anything... totally bizarre)

News Comments > Metallica Game Announced
69. Re: Fashionable bashing Jun 5, 2003, 21:35 indiv

It always cracks me up when I hear band X is comercial, mainstream, too popular. It's a joke. All bands that have successfull records are popular. Get over it. The bottom line is if they weren't popular they wouldn't sell any records. Record companies wouldn't sign them because they could not make any money. If you like any band that has sold albums. You are listening to a pop band. Money makes everything work including heavy metal music.

I think you're missing the point about people who say a band is "too popular". The point is, at one point the band didn't have a successful album, and now the band does have a successful album. Therefore, people don't like the band transcending the subculture/niche that the music was written for (reasons for this vary, but are fairly consistently elitist).

It's so bizarre to read your post and see that your world view of music involves albums you can buy at any major-chain record store (Best Buy, Walmart, whatever). Do most people think this way? There's so much more music out there, driven by people who experiment with new things and make music just for the sake of creating good (in their eyes) music.

Money does NOT make everything work, and is not the goal of a large group of musicians. Many strive for commercial success, but most (practically all if you look at percentages) fail. I've seen local bands press their own CDs in the thousands (not CDRs), with their own money, because they didn't have a record label and would probably never get a good one. Bands that will never be mainstream (I shouldn't say that--it's happened before) but still are out playing shows and selling CDs at their concerts and over the internet. I kind of feel sorry for you that you've been exposed only to music where money was the driving factor.

so much that any sense of creativity and EXPLORATION is nonexistant, giving the feeling of selling out. (bizkit, offspring, creed, sugar ray, metallica, etc.)

This was an interesting quote from LeadG. The thing is, I believe I read somewhere that The Offspring were out doing their thing for ten (10!) years before they finally made it big. Certainly that has to count for something. And Metallica is well known for musical exploration--in fact, that's why many people who like their earlier stuff don't like them now! They've explored far away from their roots, and that's the problem.

And Tool is not mainstream?!? People tend to see music with blinders on, I've noticed. A couple years ago I couldn't go an hour without hearing a Tool song on the local stations, and Tool is still receiving fairly regular airplay. They're a good example of a mainstream band that didn't "sell out"... I don't think I've ever met a Tool fan who stopped liking the band (I personally am not a big fan of their style).

edit: Attributed second quote to wrong person! Fixed now.
This comment was edited on Jun 8, 13:04.

News Comments > Metallica Game Announced
50. Re: Fashionable bashing Jun 4, 2003, 22:33 indiv

Well if you don't want to be caught dead listening to mainstream stuff, you can always try industrial. How about Rammstein?

Which is, ironically, one of the most mainstream bands on the fringe of industrial music.

News Comments > Futuremark & NVIDIA Make Nice
8. Re: Slanderous Jun 3, 2003, 01:13 indiv

No, it was more like:

Futuremark: "Nvidia cheated!"
Nvidia: "We'll look into it, but we think it's probably a driver bug."
Futuremark: "No, Nvidia cheated!"
John Carmack: "Nvidia didn't cheat."
Futuremark: "Ok, Nvidia didn't cheat."

Chalk up another goal for the Carmack!

22. Re: lighting! Jun 2, 2003, 20:45 indiv

The machine would crash any time I took it over 666Mhz (interesting, eh?)

Have you checked out the possibility of overheating? I ask because the symptoms you describe are one of the main signs of overheating. I'd remove the case cover and set a fan to blow inside your case (in fact, that's how my current PC is currently managing to hobble along)... that'll probably fix your crashing problem when running at higher clock rates.

News Comments > Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory Released
88. Re: No subject Jun 1, 2003, 00:24 indiv

What I hate are people who think that everyone should be an expert at this game even though the final version came out 3 days ago.

edit:
In other news, has anyone else noticed any problems connecting to the master server? I'm having some intermittent problems like someone else mentioned earlier where I get no response from the master. Even outside the game I can't connect to the master server on the correct port (although I get a response from pinging the server). But nobody else seems to be having this problem, so I can't figure out what the deal is.

This problem doesn't happen all the time, just every once in a while--then it fixes itself. Hmmm...
This comment was edited on Jun 1, 00:34.

72. Re: problem May 30, 2003, 01:51 indiv

Thanks for the suggestion, Dantastic, but it looks like the problem fixed itself. I must have been having some sort of connection problem to the master server or something and the game just didn't bother to tell me. Perhaps the timeout was just too long. And now I don't have time to try the game tonight.

Looks fun from the intro cutscene though.

69. problem May 29, 2003, 23:41 indiv

The first time I loaded up this game I went to play and a bunch of servers showed up. I clicked on the button to enable the full/empty server filter and all the servers disappeared from the list. Now I can't refresh the list or get any servers to appear again. Anyone have any idea what's wrong? I disabled my firewall to make sure that wasn't the problem, but still nothing.

If I can't fix this, I'm going to go get my money back!

31. Re: Bad drivers May 29, 2003, 14:50 indiv

I hate the person that sits on a cross street, watches you approach for 30 seconds or so then at the last moment pulls out in front of you, proceeds to drive 5-10 mph under the speed limit when there was no one behind you for 2 miles!

I totalled my car on one of these people. Nobody in front of me until the next traffic light, nobody behind me until the previous traffic light. Got the whole road to myself. A car was waiting to turn out, and I thought to myself, "great, going to have to break for this chump probably", and to my surprise, the vehicle appeared to be waiting for me to pass. Then, when I was like 20 feet from them, they pulled out in front of me. And I was the only car on that stretch of road for like a quarter mile!!! aaaghh

Oh well, the vehicle belonged to a company so they paid for everything without hassle, and nobody was hurt.

24. Re: dissed May 29, 2003, 13:50 indiv

Guilty as charged. I do this by using a spell checker on all my posts.

The moral of the story:

when u dont write like this then yes you really do seem more intelligent even if ur not really.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Preview
78. Re: No subject May 29, 2003, 04:17 indiv

Some people may enjoy that kind of game, personally I do not. The video games I like to play are multi-player sports and FPS games. Where you jump in for a few minutes, kick some butt, and you're done with it. I don't have large amounts of time to spare for something like Deus Ex or any kind of time-consuming game for that matter.

So you don't like the genre, and you don't know anything about it (its merits in particular, as you said), but yet you're spamming the forums with posts on how bad the game is? Brilliant. Simply brilliant.

11. Re: Yao! May 28, 2003, 14:16 indiv

Yao's lawsuit is how lawsuits should be. He wants the products that allegedly use his image improperly recalled, so he's suing to have them recalled. None of this 2 billion dollars in emotional damage crap.

18. Re: hmm May 26, 2003, 22:19 indiv

Thanks for your kind words. I'll assume by your confidence that you are the yardstick by which others should be judged in the forums? There really is no need for the hyphens in not-so-literate, although and/or would be correct.

You're exactly wrong. He should keep the hyphens and ditch the and/or. He really intended for the adjective "bright" to replace the word "literate" in the compound adjective "not so literate". He did not intend to say "not so literate and bright poster / not so literate or bright poster"--that wouldn't make sense at all. Therefore, he really should have removed the and/or and kept the hyphens in the compound adjective (the hyphens are required!). You could keep a slash in there, but to remove ambiguity, I'd take it out and replace it with an "or".

Therefore, we would have the following phrase:
"... or just a not-so-literate or not-so-bright poster"

I'm typically not so picky, but I just wanted to correct your assertion.

1188 Comments. 60 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo