Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for indiv

Real Name indiv   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname indiv
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description mmmm... sacrilicious.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jan 27, 2000, 01:12
Total Comments 1188 (Pro)
User ID 2373

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Repeat Playtime :( Oct 26, 2003, 13:50 indiv

Had The Kill Everyone Project last year...

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=33413

I guess it never hurts to get a few more clicks in on it, though.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
2. Carmack Oct 26, 2003, 13:44 indiv

...and the relatively small, but still existent, chance that he will end up blowing himself up.

I think you meant:

... and the relatively small, but still existent, chance that he will end up gibbing himself.

159. Re: I think I'm learning a lesson... Oct 26, 2003, 04:09 indiv

So would it be fair to say, in summary, that your advice is to throw a tantrum when you don't get what you want?

Good advice.

News Comments > On DOOM 3 Framerates
96. Re: WHY FRAMES > TIC = GOOD EXPLAINED Oct 24, 2003, 23:11 indiv

Indiv: I didn't make up any facts, I made up a theory. And yes, you still don't uderstand it, but it is apparent that I don't have the ability to explain it without provoking your animosity.

You think the world is loaded into the video card's memory, and you just update the view point and the direction vector, and the video card will simply transform the view accordingly.

Wow, that was so hard to comprehend. You certainly are the superior intelligence in this thread.

Although it's true, I think talking to you is about as fun and interesting as getting kicked in the nuts.

91. Re: WHY FRAMES > TIC = GOOD EXPLAINED Oct 24, 2003, 11:59 indiv

You'd rather insult people and pretend that you are all knowing rather than have an interesting discussion about 3d rendering.

Keep in mind that your knowledge was totally incorrect, but yet you said, in a later post, AND I'M COPYING AND PASTING THIS: "Just because you can't understand it doesn't mean it's wrong." You're insulting our intelligence because we don't believe what you just made up about real-time 3D rendering?!?

If you wanted to have a conversation about real-time 3D rendering, there are many people who'd have been happy to oblige (myself included). However, if you think for a second that anyone (well, besides a sadist) wants to talk to someone who spouts the wrong information as FACT, and then DEFENDS THAT INFORMATION BY INSULTING THE INTELLIGENCE OF THE PERSON REFUTING IT, then you're very, very mistaken.

YOU'RE the one who ruined the conversation, buddy. Not the rest of us.

87. Re: WHY FRAMES > TIC = GOOD EXPLAINED Oct 24, 2003, 02:13 indiv

Step 3, if you move your mouse sideways to change your view by 10 degrees for example... I'm assuming that the rendering device can re-draw the scene without any help from the game engine because it already has the geometry and textures in the memory buffer. The resulting view on the scren has changed of course, and is what -I- call a new 'frame'.

Wrong. To put it simply, the video card knows about and draws exactly what you're looking at--actually, exactly what the game tells the card you're looking at--no more, no less. As a simple example that can disprove everything you said, let's compare 2 3D games.

1) A first-person shooter. You move the mouse left, your view turns left because your player turns left.

2) A flight simulator. You move the mouse left, your view moves left, tilts counterclockwise, and starts to drop below the horizon.

How on earth would the video card know what you wanted to happen when you move the mouse? It doesn't know that it's rendering a first-person shooter--all it knows is that it's drawing a set of points on the screen (and doing other stuff to them).

So... when you move the mouse, the mouse tells the operating system that the mouse moved, the operating system tells the game that the mouse moved, and then game recomputes what should be drawn and then tells the video card to draw it.

What you said is completely made up, although I did enjoy how you presented it as fact. I love the internet.

71. Re: Windows degradation function engaged Oct 24, 2003, 01:15 indiv

Alright, I could use some help here... starting yesterday, windows kept giving me blue screens of death, not the kind I've usually seen, but something about an error in windows, and it starts dumping physical memory to disk.

Well, that's about as vague as you can get. What does the error actually say?

News Comments > Game Reviews
9. Re: Max Payne 2 Reviews Oct 24, 2003, 00:51 indiv

...not a whole lot has changed since MP1. Sure, the graphics look a little nicer and the physics are improved, but that's it.

Perhaps nobody told you that the 2 meant that the game was a sequel? What exactly were you expecting?

News Comments > New (Renamed) NVIDIA Drivers
34. Gah Oct 23, 2003, 14:33 indiv

My Aquamark score dropped a few hundred points after I installed these drivers, damn it. Probably shouldn't have bought the cheapest FX5200 I could find.

News Comments > Project Freedom Announced
4. Re: jeebus Oct 23, 2003, 14:30 indiv

I often see the term [sic],but never got around to finding out what it means. Can someone explain?

When you quote something, and you notice that there's a horrendous spelling error like "Becomming", you'd put [sic] in the quote to indicate to the reader that the spelling mistake is from the quote, not something that you added unintentionally.

It's Latin for like "thus" if I remember correctly.

The press release has a bunch of missing hyphens, too. Pretty awful.

58. Re: (hopefully) simple explanation Oct 23, 2003, 01:20 indiv

Forget about multiple processes, threads, CPUs (hyperthreading), and hardware interrupts for a moment and pretend your computer can only perform one operation at a time.

Well that's easy to do! With multiple processes, threads, and hardware interrupts, your computer already can perform only one operation at a time.

25. Re: Wait... Oct 22, 2003, 20:18 indiv

I think the person who did the article got fps mixed up with Hz. He/she says 60fps max, while John says 60Hz. That's not the same thing.

Yeah, but from the John Carmack quote above, you can see that the game updates the position of everything at most 60 times per second. So yes, you can have your video card draw at 1 billion frames per second, but if it's drawing the exact same thing, it's the same as leaving a still picture on the screen.

How it'll relate to benchmarking, I don't know, but to the player it'll effectively be a maximum frame rate of 60 fps.

27. Re: p.s. Oct 21, 2003, 15:42 indiv

At best, it just goes along with its owner's inexplicable behavior.

... and thus, the dog has fun.

14. Google sets Oct 15, 2003, 11:48 indiv

I'm not impressed by the Google sets. I entered the set:

bluesnews
shacknews
ve

And I got the results:

Shacknews
Bluesnews
Voodooextreme
Stomped
TheTripleHelix

The Triple Helix?! Not only is it not gaming news, it hasn't been updated since mid-September. How disappointing. And then when you expand the set, you get fileplanet. That's kind of fitting, I guess.

85. Re: Star Warz Oct 15, 2003, 01:55 indiv

Don't worry about it, he just gets worried when anyone doubts his intelligence.

Yeah, he's pretty high-strung, Noonsa. If he didn't freak out at you, I'd be worried that something was wrong.

44. Re: Star Warz Oct 14, 2003, 14:42 indiv

I've come to the conclusion that it must have been Lucas' direction... For most of these folks (excepting the little Anakin punk from the first one) are accomplished actors...

Well, the problem is the George Lucas has warped the whole "don't give into your anger" notion into "don't let any emotion show at all". The Jedi are supposed to avoid the dark side, and apparently to Lucas the path to the dark side is any emotion whatsoever. It makes the Jedi such unlikable cardboard characters, and it makes the actors look like they have no talent.

News Comments > Game Development & Mods
1. Babelfish link Oct 12, 2003, 14:55 indiv

It doesn't look like your Babelfish link worked the first time, Blue.

20. Re: OT Oct 11, 2003, 20:53 indiv

Having downloaded the song from the previous posts im now goign to go out and find myself a copy of the album! because im very impressed!

What if the rest of the album sucks and is nothing like that one song?

84. Re: happy aniversary Oct 11, 2003, 18:32 indiv

What's odd is, I don't remember how I FOUND this page...

I've been thinking about that too, but I can't remember either. I figure that Blue's must have been linked off of Stomped, or I found it in a Yahoo search for Quake-related sites. Ahh, those were the days.

(the days when gamers actually liked games).

15. Re: No subject Oct 11, 2003, 18:14 indiv

Is it like realistic gore or is it like comical gore?

*** TALKING ABOUT THE MOVIE ... don't read if you don't want to know... ***

It was almost all comical (i.e., so over-the-top that you can't help but laugh). Well, that's how I saw it, anyway, and I'd cite specific points in the movie, but I don't want to give anything away to people who are reading this paragraph even though they don't want to spoil the movie for themselves.

Gore by itself shouldn't really be disturbing... it's how the director presents it. Take the ear scene in Reservior Dogs, for instance, and compare it with the large fight scene in Kill Bill. World of difference.

1188 Comments. 60 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo