Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for indiv

Real Name indiv   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname indiv
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description mmmm... sacrilicious.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jan 27, 2000, 01:12
Total Comments 1188 (Pro)
User ID 2373

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > FBI Half-Life 2 Raids
3. HL2 Jan 19, 2004, 16:24 indiv

Free Kevin! Yes, I know he's free.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > X-The Threat Patch
35. Re: The problem is... Jan 19, 2004, 00:27 indiv

Sure I did turn shadows off, and it helped, turning off bump-mapping also helped a lot, but it still NOT playable and that on a 3.2GHz system with 1.5 GB of ram and a 9800XT, and btw, turning bump-mapping off made the game look very ugly as you then notice how low quality the actual textures are.

You've got to be kidding. My system is a 2.8 GHz P4, 1 GB ram, 9800 Pro and the game runs 30+ fps with everything on (that's an estimate--I ran the "benchmarking mode" once but I forgot the results. I'll run it again if you really want though). Your video card is running in PCI mode or something else is really screwed up, probably related to the video card. There's no reason why your system should run any game out today at a low framerate (that includes DX2).

And you can either get angry at this post, or you can try to figure out why your system sucks so you can fix the problem. Your choice.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
66. Re: WTF Sham OTB?? Jan 15, 2004, 19:14 indiv

I guess it's becomming clear to folks that Blue is a conservative republican

Bahaha! Yeah, that must be it. It couldn't be because that link is retarded.

<cue Halsy to post the obligitory "It was a brilliant piece of satire you clueless idiot; you just didn't like it because it doesn't coincide with your right-wing political views; why don't you learn something about politics and realize how dictator bush is killing puppies in indonesia" post>

79. Re: Sorry to interrupt Jan 12, 2004, 17:06 indiv

There is no such thing as "dual-channel" or "single-channel" RAM sticks.

Oy, for people who don't know about this kind of stuff already, I probably confused the hell out of them with my poor wording. Thanks for clarifying for me.

76. Re: Sorry to interrupt Jan 12, 2004, 16:47 indiv

Corsair Valur Select Dual Channel Kit 184 Pin 1G(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 - OEM

I'd rather install one 1G stick right now with the possibility of adding another gig later vs. getting two 512 sticks now.

I believe that the RAM you've selected is actually 2 512 MB sticks (512MBx2 would indicate that) matched for dual-channel mode instead of a single 1 GB stick.

edit: messed up quote
This comment was edited on Jan 12, 16:47.

69. Re: Sorry to interrupt Jan 12, 2004, 16:28 indiv

Benchmarks have shown little to no performance improvements in dual channel over single channel -- at least when both are on an otherwise fair playing field (same/similar chipset, same CPU, same memory, etc).

The memory-specific benchmarks had better show an increase in memory bandwidth or something's wrong! I hear what you're saying about real-world performance. You need to be running applications that require the increased bandwidth to see an increase in performance, and these days you may not run an application that can really take advantage of the dual-channel bandwidth. In modern games, for instance, you likely won't see much of a runtime performance increase because things are preloaded onto the video card, and the video card has its own memory system.

However, the way I see it, I doubt you'll ever regret buying 2 512 MB sticks of dual-channel RAM instead of buying a 1 GB stick of single-channel RAM. If you did the opposite, I think there's a higher chance of regretting the choice in the future. To each his own, though.

News Comments > Consolidation
3. - Jan 12, 2004, 15:05 indiv

I would have gone with "less-than-super-successful handheld device".

51. Re: Sorry to interrupt Jan 12, 2004, 14:34 indiv

I'd like to have half a gig of RAM minimum.

You want a motherboard that can support dual-channel RAM, and you want to buy 2 sticks of 512MB memory and get them running in dual-channel mode. It'll give you a good amount of memory (almost certainly sufficient until your next upgrade), and the dual-channel model will provide you with extra memory bandwidth that'll increase the performance of your rig in the short term and it'll increase the life in the long term (longer between upgrades because of the additional performance).

However, here's the kicker. Do not buy cheap RAM! You want to buy good RAM, and you really do want to buy 2 quality sticks of the same brand/type (i.e., Crucial). I didn't know this important piece of info at the time I bought my 2nd stick of 512 MB RAM, and as it turns out I have to underclock my CPU to 2.8 GHz from 3.0 GHz because the RAM timings of my cheap RAM aren't close enough to each other. I currently do this underclocking because I believe the additional RAM bandwidth is better for me than 200 MHz, but I've never run any tests to confirm my hypothesis.

My main concern is being certain that the CPU/mainboard/memory are compatible with each other.

The order you want to do things:
1) Decide what kind of processor you want (e.g., 3.2 GHz P4, 64-bit AMD processor, etc.).

2) Find a motherboard that works for the processor you want. The motherboard specifications will then tell you everything you want to know, including what type of processor you want to buy (i.e., what kind of CPU slot the processor supports), whether the board supports external Firewire/USB plugs (note that your case will have the Firewire/USB slots in the front of the case and then a cable will run back from those slots and must be plugged into your motherboard--make sure your motherboard supports both USB and Firewire [IEE1394] if you want both), and finally it'll tell you what type of RAM your new board will support.

3) Buy good-quality RAM of the type that your motherboard requires.

Have fun with your new system. I tried not to go into too much detail to keep the post short, but if you need me to provide more info on anything, just let me know.

41. Re: Big Toe, dubious pics Jan 12, 2004, 02:35 indiv

And remember everyone, even you can increase traffic to your auctions by spamming message boards!

3. Re: Misc Jan 9, 2004, 11:40 indiv

Hell, you can wipe out poverty in the US for 18 billion.

How?

News Comments > NFS: Underground Patch
22. This game Jan 9, 2004, 02:47 indiv

The only complaint I have about NFS: Underground is that when you reverse at the starting line instead of going forward, you still can't run over the crowd of ugly people that have gathered around you.

Other than that, the game's great.

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
6. Re: Sims 2 Jan 8, 2004, 19:03 indiv

That one with the kid watching the girl in the tub should have been an Image of the Day. I'm surprised as well that some of those screenshots are real.

News Comments > Game Development & Mods
3. Re: Its only a matter of time... Jan 8, 2004, 00:09 indiv

Is it common practice to release the SDK before the game is even out?

It happens sometimes with games that are highly anticipated by a mod community, and when a developer is organized enough (and has the resources) to package together an SDK while still developing the game. I can't remember specifically what other games have done this, but I know it's happened before. The reasoning behind it, of course, is so mod authors can start learning the material so they can start working on their mods immediately. In the case of Half Life 2, the goal is probably so the mod authors can start porting their current mods over to the new game.

18. Re: No subject Jan 4, 2004, 01:43 indiv

USA! USA! USA!

57. Re: No subject Jan 3, 2004, 05:45 indiv

and I guess most people not so educated in World War II are quiet happy with a product like CoD, while others (myself included) get bored after the first 5 minutes.

You got bored with the game because you are so educated about WWII? Bahahahaha!

News Comments > New Year Tech Bits
8. Re: No subject Jan 1, 2004, 21:18 indiv

Well "worth the cash" would be in your eyes only, but I just went from a GeForce2 FX 5200 to a Radeon 9800 Pro and the difference is tremendous. Some examples:

• I could barely run Halo with my old card at 800x600 with all the details off (I'd estimate 5-15 fps avg), and now with the new card I can run it flawlessly at 1280x1024 with all the details on (I'd estimate 30 fps worst case). With Halo, I think antialiasing is on by default, and I think that's why I got such bad performance with the old card, but I never had much time to look into it.

• Deus Ex: Invisible War was unplayable with the 5200. With the 9800 it runs almost perfectly (I expect periodic choppiness is not the video card's fault in the case of this game)

• Enemy Territory used to run fairly well at medium detail settings, but now it runs flawlessly with all details on maximum and at higher resolution. Not a particularly important improvement, but it looks much better and it helps in firefights to have no slowdown.

• I love my new video card because it's such a huge improvement over that cheapo 5200 I used to have (your 4600 is probably better than the 5200 I had). As for whether it's worth the money, I had bought 2 games that were unplayable on my old card (Halo, Deus Ex 2), but now I can play them, so the card is automatically worth about 100 bucks so far.

I was unsatisfied with my video card (it was a very cheap card), so I felt the upgrade was worth the cost. If you're satisfied with the card you have, stick with it and wait for the price of the highest-end cards drops. Personally, I don't mind dropping the graphics quality in games, but it was a problem when at the minimum graphics level some games were still unplayable.

News Comments > etc.
    4. Re: No subject Jan 1, 2004, 21:07 indiv

If you can't find it locally, order it online. I just finished it today and it's a superbly-done game. Not really any replay value, but playing through it once was worth it.

News Comments > Pirates! Details!
    4. Land combat Dec 26, 2003, 17:42 indiv

I could never figure out land combat in Pirates! (and Pirates! Gold). My guys would never fire at the enemies and so they'd always get slaughtered, and the manual said that you just have to stop moving the guys and they'd automatically fire. But they never did.

Other than that, Pirates! rocked.

38. Re: Happy Yule! Dec 25, 2003, 02:23 indiv

Oy!

15. Re: Forbes Fictional Fifteen Dec 23, 2003, 16:16 indiv

They purposely did not adjust for inflation on Scrooge McDuck's last reported income. Why you may ask? Because they are trying to hold the duck down! Scrooge would easily place #2 if you account for inflation...damn Forbes!

I think the problem is not with Forbes, but rather with Scrooge McDuck's investment policy. Scrooge had a number of holdings and strong investments, but the majority of his cash was in a giant money bin. That money was doing nothing except losing value over time, and I think that's what kept him from becoming number 1. Granted, it looked fun to swim in, but really, there was probably 15 stories of cash that should have been invested.

Further, I think a large portion of Scrooge's wealth went toward protecting said wealth. He continuously upgraded the traps in his money bin, and that couldn't have been cheap. Also, sometimes criminals like the Beagle Boys would actually succeed in ganking the cash, and surely it wasn't possible to recover 100% of the wealth. Santa Clause, Richie Rich, and Oliver Warbucks never had to spend such a significant portion of their wealth soley on security, unlike McDuck has to because of the rampant crime in Duckburg.

1188 Comments. 60 pages. Viewing page 15.
    < Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo