Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Russ

Real Name Russ   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Shineyguy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description YES I misspell my nickname intentionally!
Oh, and why are you wasting your time coming here to look at what I've written anyway?? Shoo! SHOO!!
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 28, 2005, 08:01
Total Comments 476 (Amateur)
User ID 23706

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

News Comments > Rockstar on GTA5 Framerate
3. Re: Rockstar on GTA5 Framerate Jul 13, 2015, 10:12 Shineyguy

I had noticed that my performance dropped when playing online recently. I thought that was because I had changed some of my graphics settings at the same time. Hitches at inopportune times on my computer.

Good to know this isn't it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV Chris Avellone Stretch Goal
2. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Chris Avellone Stretch Goal Jun 29, 2015, 10:25 Shineyguy

Come on Brian, just hire Chris already. We know you're doing it anyway...  

News Comments > Arkham Knight PC Fixes Prioritized
4. Re: Arkham Knight PC Fixed Prioritized Jun 26, 2015, 09:36 Shineyguy

So, is it Rocksteady that's fixing it? Or the studio that did the port?

Good if it's Rocksteady, but to be honest, I think delaying the game so that development could have stayed completely in house would have been a better idea.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
14. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 25, 2015, 10:20 Shineyguy

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 24, 2015, 18:34:
AMD Fury X 13% slower than 980TI in 4K testing... sigh

In the TechPowerUP review I read, the Fury X and 980Ti were trading blows at 4k.

Anything below that and lower ROP count shows it's ugly head, and the Fury X loses performance quickly.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Unfettered on PCs
26. Re: Fallout 4 Unfettered on PCs Jun 22, 2015, 21:49 Shineyguy

Never really was bothered by the interface because there were great things out there like MTUI. Best mod ever made for a Gamebryo game.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
40. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 19, 2015, 17:01 Shineyguy

Desalus wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 16:28:
Cutter wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 16:17:
It's not apartheid because it's not predicated on race. In this case it's simple prejudice or bigotry. It would be akin to calling it 'mechanical Jim Crow' which would be stupid. Just call them what they are, technophobes or luddites.

"Race, as a social concept, is a group of people who share similar and distinct physical characteristics" - Wikipedia.

Perhaps in the world of Deus Ex, race has been redefined to include not only a person's ethnicity or ancestory, but also what their body is made out of. I'd say it's entirely plausible. If enough people started augmenting their bodies with machines, I'd probably start regarding them as a different race myself.

I think, in this case, you can separate it out to the "Human" race and the "Extra-Human" race.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - Supremacy Next Month
7. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - Supremacy Next Month Jun 12, 2015, 23:35 Shineyguy

Brumbek wrote on Jun 12, 2015, 20:11:
Shineyguy wrote on Jun 12, 2015, 15:46:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 12, 2015, 14:15:
I think a big reason you're enjoying it so much is that they took 3 years to develop it instead of their usual 2. They never spent 3 years on development in the past. There's a lot you can do with that extra time to make a game more fun. I guess my point is they couldn't afford to have 3 studios working full time on CoD games allowing for each to release every 3 years until they exploited the crap out of it.

Well, it's a new dev(new to Call of Duty that is) that worked on AW as well. Not the usual Treyarch or Infinity Ward.
Well, it isn't a new dev technically. Sledgehammer made the Modern Warfare 3 single-player. That was their first CoD game, and it turned out quite well. Sledgehammer is a very talented developer, being the core group of people who made Dead Space at Visceral.

I agree though that having three years to make AW really helped. AW gets so much undeserved hate. Sure CoD is milked to death, but AW as a game is brilliant IMO. For a long-time Doom/Quake/Unreal player, AW was like a homecoming.

Other way around. MW3 single player was developed by Infinity Ward and multi was by Sledgehammer.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - Supremacy Next Month
5. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - Supremacy Next Month Jun 12, 2015, 15:46 Shineyguy

jdreyer wrote on Jun 12, 2015, 14:15:
Brumbek wrote on Jun 12, 2015, 11:55:
I know most of us are done with CoD, but I will say that both the prior AW DLC packs have been really great. They've featured excellent map design, fun new weapons, and interesting zombie gameplay if you are in to that. And this new pack's remake of Highrise will be awesome. Highrise was such a fun map back in 2009.

I really wish we'd gotten AW years ago before CoD was exploited so much by Activision. All these months after release, I still love AW and think it is the most balanced and skillful CoD ever made.

I think a big reason you're enjoying it so much is that they took 3 years to develop it instead of their usual 2. They never spent 3 years on development in the past. There's a lot you can do with that extra time to make a game more fun. I guess my point is they couldn't afford to have 3 studios working full time on CoD games allowing for each to release every 3 years until they exploited the crap out of it.

Well, it's a new dev(new to Call of Duty that is) that worked on AW as well. Not the usual Treyarch or Infinity Ward.

News Comments > Logitech's $400 Racing Wheel
12. Re: Logitech's $400 Racing Wheel Jun 11, 2015, 10:58 Shineyguy

It's like CJ has a hardcore hard on for shitting on Microsoft. Yet he uses their products every day while MFin' them out of both corners of his mouth.

Bout time I added someone to my ignore list.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 10, 2015, 15:12 Shineyguy

Darks wrote on Jun 10, 2015, 13:52:
nin wrote on Jun 10, 2015, 09:59:
iTunes (a piece of software that qualifies as an annex of tech hell in and of itself)

Yeah, I fucking hate that program, and only use it for syncing purposes.

Not sure what issues you guys have, But I use it for only syncing my iPod when I go on bike rides. but other then that I don't use it for anything else. what third parry app do you guys use?

Senuti has always been a good little program. Not sure if it's still around though.

News Comments > Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian
19. Re: Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian Jun 9, 2015, 14:35 Shineyguy

nin wrote on Jun 9, 2015, 14:05:
Task wrote on Jun 9, 2015, 13:55:
Speculation: He may be moving over to inXile.

I see a lot of folks are forecasting that. If he has to go anywhere, I hope it's there.

It makes sense, he's been collaborating a LOT with Fargo over his Kickstarters, and Avellone may be having a hankering to work with Fargo full time on his projects as they're more interesting to him.

Just last night (before seeing this) I was thinking how does he fit all his collabs into his time budget while still working at Obsidian.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Trailer
109. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 13:20 Shineyguy

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 08:38:
pagb wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 05:08:
I agree that graphics aren't everything... but this DOESN'T EVEN HAVE AMBIENT OCCLUSION! A graphic feature we've been enjoying for 6 years!

We can all thank Mickeysoft and their lame Xbone for that. The lowest performing crap platform dictates whether we can have nice things or not and thanks to the fucking piece of shit that is the Xbone we can't. Simple as that.
Then add some Microsoft bribes to the mix to prevent Bethesda from making a nicer PC version and there you have it. FO4 looking like last gen because the Xbone performs just like last gen. That motherfucking piece of shit trash junk from that asshole company that keeps on sabotaging PC gaming since the conception of the first ShitBox.
The really amusing part though is that the vast majority of the morons complaining in this thread probably lined up to buy a ShitBox, a ShitBox 360 and a ShitBox One on the day of release. This is well deserved, you clowns. This is what you get for buying Shitboxes.

No hate for other consoles? I hate to tell you this but the PS4 isn't really all that much faster either big guy.

It's consoles in general that are still holding PC back, but you just need to finally realize that they're here to stay, and you won't get your crazy shit unless it's exclusive to PC.

News Comments > Fallout Countdown
2. Re: Fallout Countdown Jun 2, 2015, 13:07 Shineyguy

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG  

News Comments > NVIDIA Launches GTX 980ti; New Drivers; & GSYNC Features
56. Re: NVIDIA Launches GTX 980ti; New Drivers; & GSYNC Features Jun 2, 2015, 13:07 Shineyguy

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 11:49:
These drivers are shit. I've been getting constant crashes on the desktop.

Fuck you nVidia! Sort this shit out!

And yet I played Witcher 3 for about an hour after installing them and had no issues.

You need to report your problem to nVidia and let them know your computer's setup. Saying what you did here will do nothing but get you labelled as "that guy".

40. Re: NVIDIA Launches GTX 980ti; New Drivers; & GSYNC Features Jun 1, 2015, 16:44 Shineyguy

NewMaxx wrote on Jun 1, 2015, 16:04:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jun 1, 2015, 15:46:
I did not realize this fact about running dual cards in the new graphics APIs! Any source or further information about this working with older cards or is this only for newer "dx12/mantle certified" cards?

DX12 will work with any NVIDIA card from the 400-series and up. Any AMD card built on GCN should also work which I believe is 7xxx and higher. Mantle works on a similar subset of cards. Keep in mind that you should be able to mix NVIDIA and AMD cards in a multi-GPU setup with DX12, too.

**Provided that the developer bakes multi-GPU support directly into their game. Otherwise it's still handled by the driver, and I do not see AMD nor nVidia allowing this to happen in their own software.

Also, the shared pool of memory has to be coded for directly in game as well. So maybe we'll see these things down the road.

33. Re: NVIDIA Launches GTX 980ti; New Drivers; & GSYNC Features Jun 1, 2015, 15:04 Shineyguy

ForgedReality wrote on Jun 1, 2015, 14:32:
Shineyguy wrote on Jun 1, 2015, 14:21:
ForgedReality wrote on Jun 1, 2015, 13:50:
Okay that makes sense then. But, holy shit, to be releasing a 4gb card this late in the game when everyone is thinking about 4k gaming or at least multimon setups... That's kind of ludicrous in itself. I get that the stacked RAM is expensive, but by the time the "Fury" comes out, nVidia's 14nm Pascal will be right around the corner, using HBM2. AMD needs to stop getting clobbered.

AMD's "Fury" will be releasing within the month, Pascal will not be releasing until sometime next year.

And with HBM, 4GB should be enough as the card can page out and address it's memory at much faster pace than current cards. That and we still aren't seeing the framebuffer being filled properly anyway.

I was referring to the 8gb version. The 4gb version is still going to be extraordinarily high in price. Ultra textures, 4k, multiple monitors, 4gb isn't anywhere near enough for future-proofing, and I'd argue even current-proofing. There are games out now that you can hit that 4gb cap easily. It's not just a single image that needs to be stored. It's the textures being used in that frame, which includes shadow mapping, shaders, translucency, AA textures for each pass, etc. It adds up quickly, especially at 4k.

That's why your video memory requirements drop when you do things like lower the shadow quality, for example. Shadow maps are textures, too, and the higher their resolution, the more memory they require, for each frame. Same goes for AA. 16xAA is a full resolution texture for each pass.

One example: Hitman: Absolution will quickly break the 5.5gb mark at 4k and 8xAA.

The higher your resolution, the less any form of Anti-aliasing is needed. So 4K with 8xAA is just silly.

29. Re: NVIDIA Launches GTX 980ti; New Drivers; & GSYNC Features Jun 1, 2015, 14:21 Shineyguy

ForgedReality wrote on Jun 1, 2015, 13:50:
Okay that makes sense then. But, holy shit, to be releasing a 4gb card this late in the game when everyone is thinking about 4k gaming or at least multimon setups... That's kind of ludicrous in itself. I get that the stacked RAM is expensive, but by the time the "Fury" comes out, nVidia's 14nm Pascal will be right around the corner, using HBM2. AMD needs to stop getting clobbered.

AMD's "Fury" will be releasing within the month, Pascal will not be releasing until sometime next year.

And with HBM, 4GB should be enough as the card can page out and address it's memory at much faster pace than current cards. That and we still aren't seeing the framebuffer being filled properly anyway.

News Comments > Carmageddon: Reincarnation Released
12. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Released May 22, 2015, 14:45 Shineyguy

InBlack wrote on May 22, 2015, 02:26:
Ludomancer wrote on May 21, 2015, 16:09:
Its a game about destructive car racing. Why am I so disappointed about the controversy non-issue? I guess I found it more cathartic to run over the pedestrians than I realized. In that context this looks like an absolute bore. I wanted to mow down hundreds of pedestrians, but with the bloody, gory result that GTA just doesn't give you.
If they want controversy just throw a few infants in strollers in there, or give the cars the ability to rape people or something.

I don't get your post, so can you run over pedestrians in this game or can't you? Do you get the 'cat & mouse' bonuses etc for playing with their dead or dying bodies?

Rest assured, as this game was developed by almost the same exact people as C1 and C2, all the things you've come to know and love are in there, plus some new ones.

News Comments > Carmageddon: Reincarnation Released
3. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Released May 21, 2015, 13:45 Shineyguy

nin wrote on May 21, 2015, 13:40:
Parias wrote on May 21, 2015, 13:30:
Hell yes! I loved Carmageddon 1 / 2 so much back in the day.

I heard the prior beta versions had some performance problems though -- have they fixed them yet?

I tried it again a few months ago and it was still severely piggish. I don't have very high expectations...

Beta ran awesome for me. i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz, 16gb ram, GTX 780 SLI 2560x1440 all maxed out (I don't use AA, or enable only lowest FXAA).

General Discussion > Starsizzle asking for location
5. Re: Starsizzle asking for location May 21, 2015, 11:47 Shineyguy

I received another, as well as an ad that would not let me scroll down the page until it was done animating.

And then it started animating again and popped me back up the page.

476 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo