Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Russ

Real Name Russ   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Shineyguy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description YES I misspell my nickname intentionally!
Oh, and why are you wasting your time coming here to look at what I've written anyway?? Shoo! SHOO!!
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 28, 2005, 08:01
Total Comments 459 (Amateur)
User ID 23706

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

News Comments > Carmageddon: Reincarnation Released
12. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Released May 22, 2015, 14:45 Shineyguy

InBlack wrote on May 22, 2015, 02:26:
Ludomancer wrote on May 21, 2015, 16:09:
Its a game about destructive car racing. Why am I so disappointed about the controversy non-issue? I guess I found it more cathartic to run over the pedestrians than I realized. In that context this looks like an absolute bore. I wanted to mow down hundreds of pedestrians, but with the bloody, gory result that GTA just doesn't give you.
If they want controversy just throw a few infants in strollers in there, or give the cars the ability to rape people or something.

I don't get your post, so can you run over pedestrians in this game or can't you? Do you get the 'cat & mouse' bonuses etc for playing with their dead or dying bodies?

Rest assured, as this game was developed by almost the same exact people as C1 and C2, all the things you've come to know and love are in there, plus some new ones.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Carmageddon: Reincarnation Released
3. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Released May 21, 2015, 13:45 Shineyguy

nin wrote on May 21, 2015, 13:40:
Parias wrote on May 21, 2015, 13:30:
Hell yes! I loved Carmageddon 1 / 2 so much back in the day.

I heard the prior beta versions had some performance problems though -- have they fixed them yet?

I tried it again a few months ago and it was still severely piggish. I don't have very high expectations...

Beta ran awesome for me. i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz, 16gb ram, GTX 780 SLI 2560x1440 all maxed out (I don't use AA, or enable only lowest FXAA).

General Discussion > Starsizzle asking for location
5. Re: Starsizzle asking for location May 21, 2015, 11:47 Shineyguy

I received another, as well as an ad that would not let me scroll down the page until it was done animating.

And then it started animating again and popped me back up the page.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Open Beta
7. Re: Heroes of the Storm Open Beta May 20, 2015, 10:21 Shineyguy

In general the game suffered from lack of players. It always took a long time to get into matches with my friends. Hopefully this alleviates it some.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 6, 2015, 13:51 Shineyguy

nin wrote on May 6, 2015, 11:53:
Shineyguy wrote on May 6, 2015, 10:43:
"Windows 10 Bombshell"... Not really a bombshell. If anyone has been following Windows 10 news and were watching Paul Thurott or Mary Jo Foley they'd have known about this for a bit.

It's a very good position IMO, patch when needed, not on some arbitrary day every month.

But for business, there's also a downside. We have to test patches before rolling them out (and have a fallback plan), and doing them at determined times, instead of just at random, when MS kicks one out, is going to be interesting.

As Descender said, you can simply continue to use WSUS to patch machines in the enterprise.

But then, who will be using Windows 10 in the enterprise within the next two years anyway?

News Comments > Oculus Rift in Q1 2016
16. Re: Oculus Rift in Q1 2016 May 6, 2015, 10:56 Shineyguy

Quinn wrote on May 6, 2015, 10:07:
InBlack wrote on May 6, 2015, 09:57:
Quinn wrote on May 6, 2015, 09:51:
wtf_man wrote on May 6, 2015, 09:45:
Meh. Still a gimmick. Great for racing games/flying sims/rollercoaster tech demos, but I'll keep waiting for holodeck/brain implants.

This.

Pretty much a niche market, IMO. Like 3D TV, but a little bigger.

I love gaming, but I have zero interest strapping something to my skull.

/shrug

But you HAVE interest in putting something IN your skull. ...

I'm still not sure how this will work, sitting behind a desk. The Oculus Rift doesn't have gloves, does it? Either way, I'm sure you'd still need your keyboard. So tell me how that works. I'm playing an FPS, an enemy is behind me. I turn around with the Oculus Rift but have to leave my ability to actually shoot behind on my desk. Seriously, tell me how this works?

I feel like it's a rhetoric question, which is why I too believe it's but a gimmick still.

Nope you got it all wrong. The 'view' with the Oculus is on a seperate axis from your mouse/controller. So you can look one way, and shoot another. Just like real life...

Ideally its not really suited for FPS shooters just yet, apparently since very few (if any) support the kind of behaviour I described above. Native support is going to be found in sims and driving games (since most of them have supported TrackIR for years), but it will come. If you build it, they will come...

Of course they will come, at some point. Just not yet and I think not before 2018 or -19 at the earliest.

As for my example with an enemy being behind me... Your answer didn't really make sense. I know it's on a seperate axis, and that doesn't fix it. I have to look behind me, 160 degrees. I'm not an owl so I can't physically do that without letting go of my ability to shoot (the keyboard and/or mouse). Anyway, of course I know the answer to my own question.. which is turning around just isn't an option if you want to be able to shoot, so you'll have your keyboard and/or mouse to actually turn your ingame body.. but I think it defeats the purpose of VR. At least it does to me.

It's not that I don't applaud the Oculus Rift. It's the first step to actual VR. But at the same time I also laugh at the ridiculousness of this "first step" because, fuck me, I've been playing with these "oculus rift" things in arcade halls for 5 dollars a match 20 years ago.

Spoken like someone who's never played ARMA. ARMA has a TrackIR built in for use on foot as well as when in a vehicle.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 6, 2015, 10:43 Shineyguy

"Windows 10 Bombshell"... Not really a bombshell. If anyone has been following Windows 10 news and were watching Paul Thurott or Mary Jo Foley they'd have known about this for a bit.

It's a very good position IMO, patch when needed, not on some arbitrary day every month.

General Discussion > Starsizzle asking for location
1. Starsizzle asking for location Apr 30, 2015, 22:22 Shineyguy

Hey Blue, I just loaded up the site a minute or so ago and Firefox asked me if I would allow "Starsizzle" to access my location data. I obviously declined, but just thought I'd bring it to your attention.

Thanks

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2015, 10:34 Shineyguy

InBlack wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 08:28:
What about the Nvidia GTAV drivers? Do they make any difference? Has anyone benchmarked them compared to older (more stable?) drivers?

Current GTA V drivers have been quite stable for me (compared to the "Battlefield Hardline" drivers, which CAUSED crashes in said game). However I have not tried a performance comparo.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Ultra Specs
9. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Ultra Specs Apr 23, 2015, 10:32 Shineyguy

Quinn wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 08:33:
I'm all covered except for the damn i5 instead of i7. To what extend should I be worried, I wonder? The Witcher 3 has the same specs regarding CPU, yet experience tells me (GTA V for example) that it takes a much more dated CPU for it to become the bottleneck.

I bet it's a load of horseshit. I can't see the game needing an extra 4 threads at ultra detail over other settings. I'll bet my system with it's "dinky" 2500K @ 4.5GHz will be able to max it out.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V NVIDIA Tweak Guide
4. Re: Grand Theft Auto V NVIDIA Tweak Guide Apr 22, 2015, 10:19 Shineyguy

GFExp doesn't have issue finding my Battlefield installs, and they never go in the "expected" location. GFExp looks at all my storage arrays for games.

I have the game mostly tweaked the way I like it right now, need to delve further into these advanced options as I haven't touched them yet.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V NVIDIA Tweak Guide
1. Re: Grand Theft Auto V NVIDIA Tweak Guide Apr 22, 2015, 10:10 Shineyguy

Shouldn't GeForce Experience be doing this automatically for users? I don't believe my install has detected GTA V as of yet...  

News Comments > Carmageddon: Reincarnation Delayed
3. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Delayed Apr 16, 2015, 15:49 Shineyguy

jdreyer wrote on Apr 16, 2015, 15:25:
I hope they're not working 24/7. That's a recipe for an even buggier release.

Well, the TEAM could be working around the clock in shifts. But, yeah, it's probably many people working around the clock.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 13, 2015, 09:47 Shineyguy

Amazing, John Cash talking about making a Win95 native executable for Quake.

I don't even remember Quake not initially being native to Win95...

News Comments > Nobody's Fool 2015 Part Three
1. Re: Nobody's Fool 2015 Part Three Apr 1, 2015, 16:12 Shineyguy

Hahaha. Black Island Studios comprised of Larian, InXile and Obsidian.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 30, 2015, 10:56 Shineyguy

I actually haven't run into any of the foul people on HOTS yet. I haven't been playing long though. I haven't done too terrible for also being new-ish to the MOBA formula; last one I played was original DOTA mod for Warcraft 3.

Verno wrote on Mar 30, 2015, 09:18:
HOTS is alright, I enjoy the shorter matches because Dota games can drag on for quite awhile. I find it a bit more shallow than I would prefer but its nice to fit in a 20 minute game in between things. They are super competitive games so that combined with the internet anonymity stuff means you find a lot of shitty behavior.

My group is the opposite, we've run out of other stuff to play so we're looking at Borderlands Pre-Sequel to fill the gap a bit before GTA V PC. I'm pretty burned out on the Borderlands formula but hopefully pre-sequel does some new things to keep me interested.

Pre-Sequel has a few things that are new to the Borderlands formula that make it worth it to me; new guns, low grav, new enemies, a couple new mechanics. It's a good time.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 27, 2015, 10:47 Shineyguy

Really, these guys should have someone more knowledgeable than they on call so they can get some answers on an issue they're looking at.

The guy shouldn't have told you you need to replace all the piping in your house for the issue. He should have called this other guy and spoke with him about what he was seeing to get some pointers on other things to check.

News Comments > Dirty Bomb Beta Returns; Splash Damage Pulls Away from the Brink
5. Re: Dirty Bomb Beta Returns; Splash Damage Pulls Away from the Brink Mar 27, 2015, 10:22 Shineyguy

For a game based on Parkour as a movement mechanic, it did not work out well at all at launch. We played maybe a few matches, and abandoned the game.

Worst $60 I've ever spent.

Dying Light got Parkour done in first person as it should always be IMO.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 20, 2015, 10:01 Shineyguy

Verno wrote on Mar 20, 2015, 09:51:
MLB 14 The Show support shutting down in June?

What the fuck? It's not even a year old yet. Holy shit Sony.

Sony is probably pulling an EA. Ending support for this game because it's yearly follow up is coming out soon.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 20, 2015, 10:00 Shineyguy

Zor wrote on Mar 20, 2015, 09:59:
Shineyguy wrote on Mar 20, 2015, 09:43:
"Star Wars Battlefront not coming to PS3 or Xbox 360"

A very good thing IMO. Enjoyed previous Battlefront games, but I'm worried that this will just be Battlefield re-skinned to fit in the Star Wars universe.
You mean like Hardline?

No, because even a reskin of Battlefield 4 would look pretty. Hardline does not look pretty...

459 Comments. 23 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo