Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Russ

Real Name Russ   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Shineyguy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description YES I misspell my nickname intentionally!
Oh, and why are you wasting your time coming here to look at what I've written anyway?? Shoo! SHOO!!
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 28, 2005, 08:01
Total Comments 513 (Apprentice)
User ID 23706

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
17. Re: etc. Feb 8, 2016, 22:22 Shineyguy

Let's just state one thing right off the bat here people:

Just because a game is punishing on hardware does not mean it's using the hardware to it's full potential.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Need for Speed Most Wanted Free on Origin
16. Re: Need for Speed Most Wanted Free on Origin Feb 3, 2016, 09:49 Shineyguy

Yeah I took it. As I do with most of the "On the House" Origin games that pop up from time to time.

I don't mind Origin either really. More digital platforms is not a problem IMO. However I would like for Steam Overlay to work in all the games I choose to play. But alas, it doesn't so no crying over spilled milk.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2016, 16:46 Shineyguy

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 2, 2016, 14:47:
FOV = 90
Depth of Field = OFF
Motion blur = OFF
Anything not HBAO+ in terms of SSAO = off
FXAA = Definitely 100% off, rather play with pixels than vaseline

That's all, oh.. and subtitles = on mainly because I can read .. very fast. And most games have shit voice acting or dialogs that you wanna skip....

I too hate DOF and Motion Blur. They're always off if I have an option.

Invert Y? Well, for me, unless I'm trying to fly UP is always UP, and DOWN is always DOWN.

AA options are typically on their lowest setting for me (2x AA typically). I am not bothered by aliasing that much.

News Comments > Sunday Previews
9. Re: Sunday Previews Jan 31, 2016, 17:01 Shineyguy

Well since Ubi was unwilling to assist me with my issues with the key I received from nVidia, I decided to say screw you and I will not put any amount of money down on this game.  

News Comments > MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux)
54. Re: MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux) Jan 17, 2016, 01:27 Shineyguy

So, when Microsoft announces that they won't support Windows 10 on certain hardware, people get their panties in a bunch.

How is this different than a game saying that it won't support some hardware? Answer: It's really not.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Jan 15, 2016, 00:02 Shineyguy

Fuck cancer. No seriously. Fuck it in it's god damned face.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 7, 2016, 09:12 Shineyguy

NKD wrote on Jan 7, 2016, 05:00:
Simon Says wrote on Jan 7, 2016, 03:50:
Denuvo got cracked a year ago...

You might want to actually read the article. Not every Denuvo game is cracked. The underlying concept has not been defeated, though one or two titles were eventually cracked.

Just Cause 3 remains uncracked after more than a month.

And the latest FIFA game remains uncracked, and that released in September of last year. Uses Denuvo.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
13. Re: New GeForce Drivers Dec 22, 2015, 10:45 Shineyguy

Dagnamit wrote on Dec 22, 2015, 10:17:
GK 104 (GTX 680), was Nvidia's first 28nm chip and it started the trend of the mid-range chip getting a flagship designation. Titan was much later. We haven't seen the big chips ship first since Fermi. I would guess that 28nm had better yields out of the gate than 16nm will have.

Either way, I hope you're right, cuz I want the big one.

Titan was actually GK110, which is the designation given to the cleaned up design of the initial chips (initial release of full Kepler would have been GK100 had it released on time).

I am just hoping we don't have to wait until GP110 to get Pascal, I would like to see full product stack from GP100, to GP104, GP107 and on down the line. Though it is looking like it may continue the trend of cut down card first, then full blown later in the year. nVidia can afford to do that as they release product on a slightly different schedule than AMD. No doubt GP104 should outperform Fury X, so I have a bad feeling it will drop first as high end until AMD releases a response, which will then prompt (probably) GP110 to drop.

7. Re: New GeForce Drivers Dec 22, 2015, 09:28 Shineyguy

Can't wait for Pascal. I have SLI'd GTX 780s (previously had SLI GTX 470).

I want to get rid of my SLI setup and get monster Pascal. Hopefully GP100/GP110 releases out of the gate, and not GP104/GP114 as the top sku. If that's the case I'm likely waiting until near the end of the year for full GP100/GP110.

11. Re: New GeForce Drivers Dec 1, 2015, 14:26 Shineyguy

jomisab wrote on Dec 1, 2015, 12:08:
And buried in the release notes is this little nugget:

Added or updated the following SLI profiles:
•Fallout 4 - SLI profile added

I wonder if this will require a game patch.

But no matter...SLI works just fine currently with the right bits set in nVidiaInspector.

Yeah, did some reading up. Apparently doesn't work well for some (the official SLI profile for Fallout 4).

And the nvinspector bits I have tried have caused BSODs. Gonna try these drivers and roll back if they don't work out.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 30, 2015, 13:25 Shineyguy

nin wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 09:29:
Maybe it's just what I'm looking for (games and movies) but it seems like this years BF/CM has been extremely tame...not seen many standouts.

Agreed, was really hoping to see some sort of deal on a 27" 1440P IPS G-Sync monitor, but nothing out there...

News Comments > Fallout 4 Patch Plans
14. Re: Fallout 4 Patch Plans Nov 19, 2015, 23:44 Shineyguy

D4rkKnight wrote on Nov 19, 2015, 20:13:
Aero wrote on Nov 19, 2015, 19:27:
I'd say there's about a 75% chance if I use a terminal, I'll get stuck to it. I understand that's common enough to cast some serious doubt over their QA effort.

Disabling clipping between Dogmeat and the player would save some annoying and unnecessary deaths as well.

This is a framerate bug, limit your frames to 60 to fix it.

I've gotten stuck to a console, and I have not edited the framerate cap for the game. Only FOV.

News Comments > Fallout 4 GeForce Tweaking Guide
29. Re: Fallout 4 GeForce Tweaking Guide Nov 9, 2015, 13:18 Shineyguy

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 12:26:
Darks wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 11:32:
Your so full of shit. You guys and your bullshit whining over SLI. I have no sympathy for anyone who waste money on a second 980 card that is not needed.
Envy is a nasty emotion. It's not my fault you're poor.

Creston wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 12:02:
They've said that the PC version isn't locked on either FPS or resolution, so I'm sure it's a simple case of switching a 1 into a 0 in the Fallout4.ini file.
Gamers shouldn't have to edit .ini files to get around a restriction that shouldn't exist. If they want to limit the framerate it should be a in-game option. It's not like high refresh rate monitors or SLI are uncommon.

Why is it so hard for developers to get the basics right? The lack of SLI support is inexcusable.

Are you bitching about Bethesda not supporting SLI? You know that's driver level right?

And there are GameReady drivers out there as others have stated.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Nov 9, 2015, 12:20 Shineyguy

Retired wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 10:09:
To bad if you call in sick, the game doesn't unlock for another 14 hours.

Unless, you know, you are playing on PC and used VPN to unlock it at 8AM EST.

News Comments > Fallout 4 GeForce Tweaking Guide
18. Re: Fallout 4 GeForce Tweaking Guide Nov 9, 2015, 12:17 Shineyguy

GinRummy wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 12:16:
The page is not working for me, says 'Unauthorized access' but nobody else here is mentioning that so I'm guessing something has changed. Maybe it'll be fixed later.

Same issue here from my work PC.

EDIT: And the same from my phone. Must be down now.

News Comments > Overwatch Origins Edition Details
7. Re: Overwatch Origins Edition Details Nov 6, 2015, 17:02 Shineyguy

Frijoles wrote on Nov 6, 2015, 16:29:
InBlack wrote on Nov 6, 2015, 16:08:
MajorD wrote on Nov 6, 2015, 12:56:
I'll be surprised if this game does all that well overall.

Why exactly? Does Blizzard's past record have anything to do with it?

Blizzard games never do well. They've all failed. Except Rock n Roll Racing.

Edit: forgot my /s (shouldn't be necessary though).

God damn I loved RnRR back in the day.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops III Released
8. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops III Released Nov 6, 2015, 13:33 Shineyguy

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 6, 2015, 13:18:
It doesn't take much to check the word on the street, not since somebody had the idea to connect all of our households together with wires that can transmit said words back and forth instantly... The Steam forums and reviews are chock full of people having issues with the game stuttering, freezing, crashing, failing to load, etc. If you're lucky enough to be playing it on a system similar to one of the few they tested, congrats, but that doesn't absolve them of the issues so many others are having. Your anecdotal evidence is no more valid or factual than any of theirs, get over it.

Yeah, but what percentage of total sales on PC are users complaining about issues? I bet it's a low #.

Can't hit all the low hanging fruit all at once. I can say that on my particular i5 system, the beta ran awesome. Won't have the full game until tonight so I can't speak to that currently.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Build Planner
1. Re: Fallout 4 Build Planner Nov 5, 2015, 10:28 Shineyguy

Issue I see here is that your SPECIAL stats usually all start at 4 or 5 and then you have additional points to spend. Here, all stats are 0 and they give you 21 points (which puts you at 4 for all stats), which is very shy of previous games. Not sure if this is supposed to be this way.

EDIT: Sorry, they start at 1, with 21 points to assign.

6. Re: New GeForce Drivers Nov 4, 2015, 21:40 Shineyguy

Simon Says wrote on Nov 4, 2015, 20:11:
New game specific drivers, madness. Hopefully, when most games will be DX12, this will be a thing of the past. Altough I fear maxwell users are gonna be dependent on constant driver updates even on dx12 titles for a while...

"However the opposite has been hinted when testing upcoming DX12 titles. Despite the fact that Maxwell based GPUs are being advertised as fully DirectX 12 compliant this might not be entirely the case. It was discovered that the new asynchronous compute feature doesn’t work correctly with Maxwell GPUs, despite Nvidia advertising the feature for the 900 series. Maxwell doesn't provide hardware asynchronous compute support and instead Nvidia patched in support for it at the driver level which comes at a performance cost.

AMD, on the other hand, offers hardware-based asynchronous compute in the GCN architecture, providing it an advantage in certain DirectX 12 benchmarks and games.

Maxwell's asynchronous engine can queue up 31 compute tasks and 1 graphic task. Compare that to AMD's GCN 1.1/1.2 which has 8 asynchronous compute engines, each of which are able to queue 8 compute tasks for a total of 64 coupled with 1 graphic task. Again, keep in mind that Maxwell queues in software while GCN 1.1/1.2 queues in the hardware.

Adding fuel to the fire Oxide claims that NVIDIA PRESSURED THEM NOT TO INCLUDE THE ASYNCHRONOUS COMPUTE FEATURE IN THEIR BENCHMARK, removing the GeForce 900 series disadvantage from the equation when competing against AMD's DirectX 12 compliant GCN architecture."

Classy Nvidia...

They're great at optimizing their drivers in DX11 for new games tho and they seem commited to deliver when new AAA titles come out by tweaking the drivers for all the titles.

Still have no interest in upgrading from the AMD HD5850 tho... Still handles all my games just fine @1080p and the current offerings still haven't hit my mandatory upgrade goal of fourfold increase in performance at the same price point.

Perhaps with the ( finally ) upcoming node shrink + Nvidia doing HBM2 will I finally have a card at the same price point with AT LEAST a four fold increase in performance so I can retire my 5, going on 6 years, old card. And that's only if they finally go hardware enabled on DX12 features, instead of software only. Moore's prediction is obsolete it seems.

Not really interested in an AMD card atm, their watt to performance ratio still leaves much to be desired ( which is too bad since it was the other way around when I got the HD5850, Nvidia was less efficient power/perf-wise ) and I don't plan on changing my 600 watts power supply again just to accomodate a gpu upgrade when the power supply is barely 1 year old. Unless this changes, next one will be a Nvidia. Time will tell...

Source: http://www.techspot.com/review/1081-dx11-vs-dx12-ashes/

Look, there's features of DX12 that AMD doesn't support, and there's features of DX12 that nVidia doesn't support. Until Pascal and AMD's new GPUs drop we can just play "wait and see".

News Comments > Sunday Screenshots
3. Re: Sunday Screenshots Nov 1, 2015, 16:29 Shineyguy

Linthat22 wrote on Nov 1, 2015, 16:03:
Looks like Fallout 3.

Only similarity with fallout 3 in looks is that they're both fallout games.

This looks so much better already than fallout 3 visuals looked.

513 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo