Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Don Smutny

Real Name Don Smutny   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ldonyo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 16, 2005, 21:56
Total Comments 1410 (Pro)
User ID 23662

User comment history
< Newer [ 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Jan 23, 2009, 11:51 ldonyo

I would pay $10 for a trial version, under two conditions.

The first condition would be that the $10 comes off the price of the full product. They can put a coupon in a jewel case or email an unlock code or unlock the rest of the game via a registration server, I don't care how they do it, but the $10 has to be factored in as a credit toward the purchase of the full version.

The second condition would be that the 'demo', which would be a trial version at this point, come from the released version of the game, not a beta version. I would not pay for a trial version that is based on beta code, especially when that code will not have any support at all.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 20, 2009, 19:54 ldonyo

Seagate seems to be just as good at firmware as Sony.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2009, 15:11 ldonyo

I moved from Kansas City to Tucson last June. I am tickled to death that there is a football team in Arizona, as opposed to what I had to put up with in Kansas city for most of the last 10 years. I just hope they can give the Steelers a competitive game, although I'd much rather see them win.  

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: MLG Jan 19, 2009, 15:06 ldonyo

I find it amazing that anyone publishes the 'results' from any 'study' conducted by or for the paying sponsor that does nothing but exclaim just how wonderful said sponsor or its organization happens to be. That there are then others willing to publicize these laughable 'conclusions' is even more ludicrous. It's like surveying a bunch of Al Gore disciples about their views on global warming are and then using the results as some sort of proof of anything.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 18, 2009, 14:57 ldonyo

I haven't needed to buy a hard drive in over a year. Now I know which brands not to buy. That firmware issue won't be limited to the 1.5TB drives.  

News Comments > Valve: "Pirates Are Underserved Customers"
15. Re: Valve: "Pirates Are Underserved Customers" Jan 18, 2009, 14:53 ldonyo

There is a reason people buy the games Valve makes, Valve pays attention to their customers. It is precisely because of this that Valve was able to see the trend in Russian piracy of their games. It is also because of this that they changed their release schedule from a staggered one to a single release date across the board. A simple solution that has generated tangible benefits not only for Valve, but for their customers as well.

EA, on the other hand, seems to believe that every person purchasing a copy of one of their games is a potential pirate distributor of that title and has implemented DRM schemes to reflect that paranoid vision. The irony is that this stance has made EA's titles more prone to piracy simply because people who might spend $50 - $60 on a game do not want to be treated like criminals for having the audacity to purchase a retail copy of an EA title.

EA is hemorrhaging cash and is divesting itself of assets in an attempt to stop the bleeding. Valve has expanding its Steam service to distribute titles from other publishers. Whose strategy do you think is working?

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2009, 17:58 ldonyo

Is light pollution less polluting than regular pollution?

Nugent's position on drugs is asinine, especially marijuana.

Legalizing marijuana and selling it in the same manner that tobacco is sold now, with all of the restrictions and taxation, just might generate enough revenue to get many states out of the fiscal holes they dug for themselves.

If nothing else, it would allow law enforcement manpower to allow real crimes to be pursued as they should be. It would also keep prisons from having to do their semi-regular early-release of just about every kind of criminal, including some violent offenders, to make room for new criminals.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
2. Re: Apple Jan 17, 2009, 17:41 ldonyo

This just sounds like a class action suit waiting to be filed.  

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Jan 17, 2009, 17:31 ldonyo

A bad demo will make certain a game sells poorly. A good demo does not ensure sales success. Also, publishers seem to be far more enamored of demos than developers ever will be.

The problem with demos isn't whether they are good or bad, though. The problem is that creating a demo causes the developers to stop working on the game they're trying to make so that they can make the demo. I would much rather have the developer working on finishing the game I've been waiting for (Dragon Age, anyone?) than take a month out to create a demo that can't possibly begin to show every aspect of the game it is supposed to be a demonstration of.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 17, 2009, 10:21 ldonyo

Tomb Raider contest is UK and Europe only.  

News Comments > Safety Dance
1. Re: Windows Worm Jan 17, 2009, 10:16 ldonyo

This worm can be avoided by patching your PC and keeping your antivirus up to date. It's not rocket science...  

News Comments > Legal Briefs
1. Re: Warrantless Wiretaps Jan 17, 2009, 10:14 ldonyo

The only warrantless wiretaps upheld were those involving foreign nationals. No opinion was made regarding the warrantless wiretaps of communications taking place entirely within the boundaries of the United States.  

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: AtomicGamer Jan 17, 2009, 10:09 ldonyo

It's only the middle of January and this wanker is whining that he hasn't played all of his games from Christmas yet? The author might be OK with shelling out $6/hour for his video game entertainment. I, however, am not. Maybe he isn't aware that a side quest is just that, a quest with no bearing on the main story.

I do agree with him on the multiplayer point. Not every game needs to have a multiplayer mode. I know that some will argue the opposite, that every game does not need a single-player mode. That's what bots are for. You need to be able to practice getting your ass kicked by a machine before you can go out and get it kicked by some hyped-up 10-year-old.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 15, 2009, 19:47 ldonyo

And we all know just how good a prognosticator of anything WSJ is, don't we?  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 15, 2009, 19:45 ldonyo

There are no technical reasons why Microsoft cannot re-associate a Windows LIVE ID with a Gamertag. If they need help with the SQL statement that would do this, they can call me. I won't charge too much and it shouldn't take more than an hour to explain how to do it to them. It would take less than five minutes, but I'll be on hold for most of the hour while they try to find someone that has any technical knowledge of SQL and/or SQL Server.  

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Jan 15, 2009, 19:34 ldonyo

Sony might be too artsy for its own good, sure. However, Sony's biggest problem is that they treat their customers as if those customers should be grateful Sony will let them buy things with Sony's name on them.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2009, 19:35 ldonyo

Sorry your guys got beat, Blue, but I'm tickled to death for my recently (moved to Arizona last June) adopted Cardinals. It is such as nice change from the last 14 years in Kansas City, home of the 'one and done' Chiefs, when they can find their way into the playoffs, that is.

Now, if only the Diamondbacks could play an entire season, not just through August...

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Jan 12, 2009, 19:32 ldonyo

Gee, what are the odds that a study of MLG members conducted for MLG is going to show just how super MLG gamers really are? Of course these results are completely unbiased and totally accurate, they come from MLG and MLG would never lie about something like that, would they?
Here are the 'statistics' cited by the 'article':

Indeed, 66% of respondents report that they belong to a social club, group, or sports team; 85% said they see movies in the first two weeks of theatrical release; and 82% find it easy to make friends. In the past month, 88% of respondents ate at a restaurant, exercised or worked out, or played sports.

I'm surprised the first one isn't 100%, as the 1000 people surveyed all belong to MLG, which is technically a social club. I almost buy the movie percentage, as there were a few decent movies for geeks out last year. Making friends is very easy, especially when the only criteria might be a friends list on MySpace or some such. And since when has eating at a (fast food) restaurant been equated with exercising (Wii Fit), working out (Wii Fit) or playing (Wii) sports?

My point is that this 'survey' is nothing more than marketing drivel, as any survey of this type from any interest or industry would be.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: pay for play Jan 12, 2009, 19:13 ldonyo

The link is correct. It seems that someone at the Seattle Times finally realized that there were schools in Oregon, and the rest of the country, offering video game design classes and degrees. Glad to see they've finally joined the rest of us in the 21st century there at the Seattle Times.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 12, 2009, 19:09 ldonyo

I'll bet that the Guitar Hero III numbers include every version, such as Guitar Hero Aerosmith, on every platform and is based on full retail pricing times units sold, regardless of actual sale price, without accounting for any returns or replacements. Yes, it is an impressive figure, but not nearly as impressive as if it were for the game alone, without the additional $60 controller figured into the total.  

1410 Comments. 71 pages. Viewing page 46.
< Newer [ 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo