Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Don Smutny

Real Name Don Smutny   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ldonyo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 16, 2005, 21:56
Total Comments 1376 (Pro)
User ID 23662

User comment history
< Newer [ 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
9. Re: Home on PS3 Dec 17, 2008, 20:29 ldonyo

Didn't take long for Home to get hacked, did it?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: PC Game Piracy Examined Dec 13, 2008, 15:22 ldonyo

The only issue I have with the article is that the piracy numbers published by the various software groups are used as gospel, even though it has been demonstrated time and again that the formulas used to create these numbers are seriously and fatally flawed. I'm not saying there is not any piracy, that would be foolish. I'm saying that the piracy rates are not what the software groups would like you to believe, not by a long shot.  

News Comments > On Console Patch Costs
11. Re: On Console Patch Costs Dec 12, 2008, 10:26 ldonyo

Other than the payment to the console maker (and what kind of nonsense is that?) to deploy the patch, this is no different than patching any other kind of software, at least in theory.  

News Comments > Dragon Age: Origins Trailer
2. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Trailer Dec 12, 2008, 10:17 ldonyo

Ooooh, pretty.

And thus is the hype cycle continued. I've been waiting for this game for a couple of years already, so I am interested in any new information that comes out about it. I am not interested in seeing a bunch of 'gameplay' movies that tell me nothing new about the game.

I hate this part of the PR cycle in game development. There will probably be a trailer a month until six months before release. Then there will be a trailer every other week until six weeks before release. The final push will see a trailer a week until release. Then the patch announcements start...

News Comments > Gaming Versus Antivirus Software
4. Re: Gaming Versus Antivirus Software Dec 12, 2008, 10:09 ldonyo

I have never bothered to turn off AV while gaming. Given the number of games that require at least a temporary Internet connection, turning off AV while gaming seems to be an unnecessary risk. It's only a matter of time before someone plants a virus in WoW, Windows LIVE or some other online gaming network. If your AV is turned off for gaming, you're toast.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 9, 2008, 20:08 ldonyo

The economy worldwide is dismal. Major retailers are filing for bancruptcy, laying people off and/or closing stores. Unemployment is growing by leaps and bounds across all employment sectors. What will Nvidia do? Release a brand new video card that no one can afford! Now that's sound marketing... NOT!  

News Comments > Cryptic on the Atari Purchase
1. Re: Cryptic on the Atari Purchase Dec 9, 2008, 20:04 ldonyo

Isn't Atari close to being flat broke?  

News Comments > Gore SE Ad Offer
1. Re: Gore SE Ad Offer Dec 3, 2008, 11:18 ldonyo

'Mature' shooter? If by mature they mean old, then yes, Gore is a mature shooter.  

News Comments > EA Acquires J2M
2. Re: EA Acquires J2M Dec 3, 2008, 11:16 ldonyo

What is EA using for money?  

News Comments > Safety Dance
1. Re: Safety Dance Dec 2, 2008, 20:15 ldonyo

Isn't Norton Antivirus for Gamers something like AVG or NOD32?  

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Nov 28, 2008, 17:15 ldonyo

Better question: What is Edge Online good for? Read their review of Fallout 3 and see just how out of touch they are with the game they're reviewing. The review complains about the PipBoy's appearance, for crying out loud. The reviewers (the author is listed as Edge Staff, so I guess they all share the blame) totally miss the premise of the world of Fallout. It's like they loaded the game expecting Unreal or Quake, rather than the game shown on the box.

Is Fallout 3 perfect? No, especially the ported PC version and its lack of customizable controls. Hopefully, G.E.C.K. will allow someone to fix that.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 26, 2008, 19:33 ldonyo

This isn't really on topic, but here goes anyway.

At what point did game designers decide that needing a supercomputer to run their games was a selling point? Seriously, how hard would it be to design a game to run well on an average system and then make it a completely awesome experience for those that actually have the latest and greatest hardware (for this month, anyway)? The fact that every AAA title published for the PC over the last five years has had some type of 'tweak guide' written for it really should be a clue to someone with decision-making authority in at least one developer's headquarters somewhere.

I could be way off base here, but I'd never admit it.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 26, 2008, 19:27 ldonyo

How many hours until there is a fix for the latest PS3 firmware update? I'm guessing less than 48, but it could be longer.  

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Nov 26, 2008, 19:26 ldonyo

I guess game publishers just expect everyone to start a 'played game' collection then? You know, because games age like fine wine.  

News Comments > Why They Fear F.E.A.R. 2 in AU
6. Re: Why They Fear F.E.A.R. 2 in AU Nov 26, 2008, 19:21 ldonyo

Isn't that why they have some sort of 'Adult' rating for games over there? What's the problem, their men can't handle a couple of decapitations and a bisection? Pffft, pansies.  

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Nov 23, 2008, 15:12 ldonyo

Yet another opinion piece on how video games are bad that blames the developers for making the games the way they do rather than pointing out that parents need to know what games their children are playing. This time, the author also claims that game developers and publishers are intentionally trying to make their games 'addictive'.

The slight reference, "So, when a person starts "living his life" in a video game, its only natural that when they find themselves in the real world again, they start behaving just like they do in the game.", to violent games causing violent behavior is vastly over-generalized and completely unproven.

The reference to gamers being similar to drug addicts, "Doesn't this remind you of another group of people? Maybe drug addicts? This is what links gaming addiction and violence.", is not only inaccurate, it is the same type of irresponsible fear-mongering that is so prevalent in any mainstream media story dealing with video games.

The real topper is siting Wikipedia as the source for a tiny quote at the very end of this piece. The rest of the author's assertions are nothing but pure conjecture and regurgitated media tripe.

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Nov 17, 2008, 19:32 ldonyo

I don't watch his 'reviews' and I don't watch G4. Until I scanned the first paragraph of the article, I didn't know that Zero Punctuation was anything other than ee cummings' writing style. As far as I'm concerned, it still is.  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
1. Re: Saturday Metaverse Nov 15, 2008, 15:21 ldonyo

I wouldn't leave anything up to the FCC, especially in its current and quite retarded incarnation.  

News Comments > Metaverse
1. Re: Metaverse Nov 15, 2008, 10:46 ldonyo

Network Neutrality, as a concept, needs to be codified into law. ISPs have proven over and over that, given the chance, they will make their subscribers' lives miserable just because they can. That being said, I share the fears of many that Congress does not have the technical knowledge to craft effective legislation to ensure that ISPs cannot decide what their subscribers can and cannot access in an unimpeded manner.

As for the supposed 'bandwidth crunch', it is a fairy tale spun by ISPs to justify imposing tiered pricing and force consumers of streamed and downloaded video services to pay more, just because the ISPs have the power to do so. Come February of next year, many of the largest ISPs, who are also cable companies, will have more bandwidth to work with when they no longer have to support analog signals from broadcasters.

News Comments > Violent Games Set Boys Hearts' Aflutter
9. Re: Violent Games Set Boys Hearts' Aflutter Nov 14, 2008, 11:37 ldonyo

The next step would be to measure the same boys' heart rates while watching an action movie or their favorite sports team during a game. I'm sure they would also register elevated heart rates that coincide with action sequences in the movie or critical points during the game. All this report shows is that more countries than the US have people very interested in finding some causal link between violent video games and violent behavior, regardless of how shoddy the research is that proves it.  

1376 Comments. 69 pages. Viewing page 46.
< Newer [ 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo