Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Don Smutny

Real Name Don Smutny   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ldonyo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 16, 2005, 21:56
Total Comments 1418 (Pro)
User ID 23662

User comment history
< Newer [ 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Jan 30, 2009, 19:18 ldonyo

I agree with everything you said, Creston. I also think that the article was written by someone who just didn't like the Xbox.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Jan 28, 2009, 19:58 ldonyo

Who in the hell is Felicia Day and why would anyone want her to model anything?  

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: college students Jan 28, 2009, 19:57 ldonyo

someone needs to explain to the LA times the difference between causation and correlation.

Someone needs to explain that to all these 'study' authors, too.

News Comments > Operation Anchorage GFW Woes
18. Re: Operation Anchorage GFW Woes Jan 27, 2009, 20:25 ldonyo

Fallout 3 was barely functional at release and extremely buggy, why would people expect anything different from the DLC?

I had a much better experience than you did. I had no trouble playing Fallout 3 all the way through prior to the first patch being released. I've since installed it on Windows 7 and had no trouble with it there, either. GFWL even patched the game all by its lonesome on Win7.

We'll see how the DLC goes. I'm downloading it now without issue, but that's maybe half the battle.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Jan 26, 2009, 19:06 ldonyo

I didn't realize any scientists had done any research on video games. I have been waiting for them to start so all the crap that has been passed off as science can be put into an outhouse and dealt with properly.  

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: Mac gaming? Jan 25, 2009, 19:03 ldonyo

Don't all the Mac folks just play Windows games in a virtual machine or through emulator software, since there's damn all for native Mac games available?  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
8. Re: Windows 7 Jan 25, 2009, 18:58 ldonyo

After using Windows 7 for a couple of weeks, I am impressed. Yes, I've had to use some Vista drivers for hardware (Diamond Xtreme sound card and Canon MF8170c multifunction device for printer functionality), but that was expected going into trying out the Windows 7 beta code.

I have had no trouble running Fallout 3 or Arcanum on Windows 7. Hardly exhaustive, I admit, but enough to let me know that I can game on Windows 7 if I want to do so.

The boot times are surprisingly fast in Windows 7, much better than XP or Vista. Once the debug code is out and drivers have a chance to mature, I believe Windows 7 will be everything we were told Vista would be.

News Comments > Layoffs at Black Box & ACES
9. Re: yaay more people in the market Jan 23, 2009, 11:54 ldonyo

Just think of the carnage had EA purchased Take-Two!  

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Jan 23, 2009, 11:51 ldonyo

I would pay $10 for a trial version, under two conditions.

The first condition would be that the $10 comes off the price of the full product. They can put a coupon in a jewel case or email an unlock code or unlock the rest of the game via a registration server, I don't care how they do it, but the $10 has to be factored in as a credit toward the purchase of the full version.

The second condition would be that the 'demo', which would be a trial version at this point, come from the released version of the game, not a beta version. I would not pay for a trial version that is based on beta code, especially when that code will not have any support at all.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 20, 2009, 19:54 ldonyo

Seagate seems to be just as good at firmware as Sony.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2009, 15:11 ldonyo

I moved from Kansas City to Tucson last June. I am tickled to death that there is a football team in Arizona, as opposed to what I had to put up with in Kansas city for most of the last 10 years. I just hope they can give the Steelers a competitive game, although I'd much rather see them win.  

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: MLG Jan 19, 2009, 15:06 ldonyo

I find it amazing that anyone publishes the 'results' from any 'study' conducted by or for the paying sponsor that does nothing but exclaim just how wonderful said sponsor or its organization happens to be. That there are then others willing to publicize these laughable 'conclusions' is even more ludicrous. It's like surveying a bunch of Al Gore disciples about their views on global warming are and then using the results as some sort of proof of anything.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 18, 2009, 14:57 ldonyo

I haven't needed to buy a hard drive in over a year. Now I know which brands not to buy. That firmware issue won't be limited to the 1.5TB drives.  

News Comments > Valve: "Pirates Are Underserved Customers"
15. Re: Valve: "Pirates Are Underserved Customers" Jan 18, 2009, 14:53 ldonyo

There is a reason people buy the games Valve makes, Valve pays attention to their customers. It is precisely because of this that Valve was able to see the trend in Russian piracy of their games. It is also because of this that they changed their release schedule from a staggered one to a single release date across the board. A simple solution that has generated tangible benefits not only for Valve, but for their customers as well.

EA, on the other hand, seems to believe that every person purchasing a copy of one of their games is a potential pirate distributor of that title and has implemented DRM schemes to reflect that paranoid vision. The irony is that this stance has made EA's titles more prone to piracy simply because people who might spend $50 - $60 on a game do not want to be treated like criminals for having the audacity to purchase a retail copy of an EA title.

EA is hemorrhaging cash and is divesting itself of assets in an attempt to stop the bleeding. Valve has expanding its Steam service to distribute titles from other publishers. Whose strategy do you think is working?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2009, 17:58 ldonyo

Is light pollution less polluting than regular pollution?

Nugent's position on drugs is asinine, especially marijuana.

Legalizing marijuana and selling it in the same manner that tobacco is sold now, with all of the restrictions and taxation, just might generate enough revenue to get many states out of the fiscal holes they dug for themselves.

If nothing else, it would allow law enforcement manpower to allow real crimes to be pursued as they should be. It would also keep prisons from having to do their semi-regular early-release of just about every kind of criminal, including some violent offenders, to make room for new criminals.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
2. Re: Apple Jan 17, 2009, 17:41 ldonyo

This just sounds like a class action suit waiting to be filed.  

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Jan 17, 2009, 17:31 ldonyo

A bad demo will make certain a game sells poorly. A good demo does not ensure sales success. Also, publishers seem to be far more enamored of demos than developers ever will be.

The problem with demos isn't whether they are good or bad, though. The problem is that creating a demo causes the developers to stop working on the game they're trying to make so that they can make the demo. I would much rather have the developer working on finishing the game I've been waiting for (Dragon Age, anyone?) than take a month out to create a demo that can't possibly begin to show every aspect of the game it is supposed to be a demonstration of.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 17, 2009, 10:21 ldonyo

Tomb Raider contest is UK and Europe only.  

News Comments > Safety Dance
1. Re: Windows Worm Jan 17, 2009, 10:16 ldonyo

This worm can be avoided by patching your PC and keeping your antivirus up to date. It's not rocket science...  

News Comments > Legal Briefs
1. Re: Warrantless Wiretaps Jan 17, 2009, 10:14 ldonyo

The only warrantless wiretaps upheld were those involving foreign nationals. No opinion was made regarding the warrantless wiretaps of communications taking place entirely within the boundaries of the United States.  

1418 Comments. 71 pages. Viewing page 46.
< Newer [ 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo