Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Don Smutny

Real Name Don Smutny   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ldonyo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 16, 2005, 21:56
Total Comments 1537 (Pro)
User ID 23662

User comment history
< Newer [ 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: DTV Jun 12, 2009, 11:43 ldonyo

Anyone living in the U.S. knows there are WAY more than 2.8 million completely and totally oblivious people living here!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
13. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 10, 2009, 19:31 ldonyo

You mean except for the proprietary CPU and proprietary architecture, which is HUUUUGE.

That is exactly the reason most devs do not like coding for the PS3, everything has to be done differently. Going from the PC to the 360, or vice versa, is relatively simple as most of your code ports fine.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Jun 10, 2009, 19:24 ldonyo

Free MMOs are garbage.

They're talking free-to-play, not free. That means you buy the game and you get to play it without having to pay a monthly fee for the privilege. It's 'Guild Wars' as opposed to 'WoW'.

I've beta-tested several MMOs in the past and I would never buy one. Not because of the game, but because enough of the players are asses that ruin the game for me and I refuse to put up with them. There are plenty of other games for me to play.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Jun 9, 2009, 19:00 ldonyo

As long as no one pays Boll to make another movie for the rest of his life!  

News Comments > MMO Neverwinter Nights?
6. Re: MMO Neverwinter Nights? Jun 9, 2009, 18:56 ldonyo

Didn't Darl McBride, CEO of SCO, have a "brilliant idea" similar to this when he decided to sue Linux users for copyright infringement? I think this NWN MMO will give Atari the same type of results...  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2009, 19:13 ldonyo

I think the global warming crowd and the Intelligent Design crowd should get together and compare notes on just how much real science, wishful thinking and flawed assumptions went into each "theory". I'll bet it's pretty even across the board.  

News Comments > It Came from E3 2009. Part 7
2. Re: It Came from E3 2009. Part 7 Jun 8, 2009, 19:04 ldonyo

Remember when booth babes were actually babes? A few nice looking gals in that bunch, but also some real barkers!  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2009, 15:26 ldonyo

LaMar's makes killer donuts! They are all over Kansas City and stomp KK into the dirt!  

News Comments > Dante's Inferno Protest Faked
17. Re: Dante's Inferno Protest Faked Jun 5, 2009, 15:23 ldonyo

EA can't even get a staged protest right. No wonder they lose money hand over fist.  

News Comments > The Witcher: Enhanced Edition 1.5
40. Re: The Witcher: Enhanced Edition 1.5 Jun 3, 2009, 19:40 ldonyo

It's good to see the company behind Good Old Games backing their DRM-free game store talk with a DRM-free game. The original version of The Witcher was extremely good. The Enhanced Edition patch/release (patch if you already had the original, full retail release for those that need to catch up) made a very good game even better. The 1.5 patch will be like ice cream on the cake!

This comment was edited on Jun 3, 2009, 19:40.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 2, 2009, 19:54 ldonyo

Every time I see something touted as "ground-breaking" I just want to hurl. Unless it is an actual ground-breaking, of course.  

News Comments > Legal Briefs
1. Re: Legal Briefs Jun 1, 2009, 19:48 ldonyo

All piracy stats are bogus and you don't have to work very hard to prove it.  

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed May 29, 2009, 10:56 ldonyo

Is there a calling for gay relationship video games?

I thought the purpose of games was to escape reality so we could do things like kill, speed and slay dragons, not have realistic relationships with the same sex.

or did i completely miss the point of this?

Did you bother to read the article or just the title? Had you read the article, you might have known that is is not about having same-sex relationships in a gaming environment. It is about being allowed to identify yourself as gay or lesbian without having to endure the childish and mean-spirited comments, quips and jokes that are currently your reward for doing so, assuming you aren't banned outright by some overly, perhaps fearfully, 'PC' moderator.

As for the "addiction-based design" article, I think Jeff is way off the mark. Giving rewards for accomplishing things in a game accomplishes a couple of things. One, it allows the player to face increasingly difficult challenges by slowly ramping up the difficulty throughout the game or level. Two, it moves the story along and keeps the player from quitting out of sheer boredom.

Some folks power-game by grinding, which Vogel equates to addictive behavior. The flaw in his argument is gold farming. No one wants to gold farm, even for themselves. If Vogel's argument were true, there would be players who did nothing but farm gold until they had amassed millions or billions of pieces. That isn't happening.

In fact, what Vogel describes as "addiction-based design" is one of the very things that gets hammered in every game review I've ever read. There are many games that would have died off long ago because of this had they not had a multiplayer component that allowed people to play each other, rather than the same boring game. This is why the current fad in FPS games is to make them multiplayer centric. It keeps game designers from having to worry too much about developing interesting content and focus more on level design and networking.

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Trailer
4. Re: Mass Effect 2 Trailer May 29, 2009, 10:37 ldonyo

As someone who has played through ME1, I can tell you that Shepard didn't die in that game. This leads me to believe that perhaps there is a point in ME2 where Shepard is thought to be dead and you get to play a different character for a while. That would be fun!

I agree that the voice "acting" for Shepard is about as interesting as watching paint dry or grass grow... in slow motion.

3. Re: Radeon HD 4730 May 28, 2009, 19:26 ldonyo

If this shows up in stores at $79, I may have to break down and replace my 3870. IF there's a big enough difference in performance, which remains to be seen.  

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 27, 2009, 14:14 ldonyo

So Apple's datacenter will consist of what, maybe 100 G5s? Those plus land, a building and staff should run about a billion, shouldn't it?  

2. Re: Jack Thompson May 26, 2009, 20:09 ldonyo

All he needs to do is find a lawyer just as stupid as he is to file the paperwork.

This comment was edited on May 26, 2009, 20:10.

7. Re: Legal Briefs May 25, 2009, 16:46 ldonyo

The main issue with California's law, and every other piece of video legislation ever introduced in the USA, is that it criminalizes the sale of "violent" video games to minors. Criminalizes, as in jail sentence and monetary penalty, without actually defining what determines whether or not a game is violent. Nor does this law state just who will determine if a game falls into the non-defined category of "violent" video games.

Another issue is that video games are singled out for these criminal penalties, while other forms of entertainment, such as R-rated movies (17 or older only) can and are routinely sold to minors without anyone batting an eye. Under California's law, little Johnny cannot buy Grand Theft Auto, but he is not even slowed down when purchasing a movie like Scarface or one of the Saw series.

News Comments > Champions Online Delay Explained
19. Re: Champions Online Delay Explained May 20, 2009, 21:33 ldonyo

Is "intense, story-driven introduction" some kind of code for "long, drawn-out and unskippable cutscene"?  

News Comments > New ATI Catalyst Drivers
17. Re: New ATI Catalyst Drivers May 19, 2009, 20:28 ldonyo

The Release Notes now point to the 9.5 document. Interestingly enough, the 9.5 Cats seem to have fixes for Vista and Windows 7 only.  

1537 Comments. 77 pages. Viewing page 46.
< Newer [ 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo