Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Don Smutny

Real Name Don Smutny   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ldonyo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 16, 2005, 21:56
Total Comments 1349 (Pro)
User ID 23662

User comment history
< Newer [ 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ] Older >

News Comments > The Blame Game
5. Re: The Blame Game Nov 9, 2008, 19:20 ldonyo

If the kid died, how can they possibly prove he was addicted to anything? Kids fall out of trees every day. Some of them die. Kids run away from home every day. Some of them end up dead. I fail to see how the end result justifies the 'addicted' label simply because this kid played video games. Why doesn't someone try to find out what really happened, rather than trying to find something to blame this on?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Nov 7, 2008, 11:42 ldonyo

XFX giveaway is UK only.  

News Comments > Game Hostility Study Follow-ups
6. Re: Game Hostility Study Follow-ups Nov 4, 2008, 19:57 ldonyo

And I thought Surf was just a detergent.

Hal is not saying that video games definitely have no effect on children. What Hal wants is a study done by people that aren't trying to figure just how much video games are to blame for all of society's ills.

I absolutely agree that all forms of entertainment media need to be included in a truly comprehensive study. I also agree that any study done should be done by completely objective third parties, not shills for one side or the other.

I further believe that the results of such a study should then be examined by a separate set of neutral third party types to ensure that some form of bias did not find its way into the results through interpretation of said results or the methodologies used to gather them.

I, too, would be willing to get to work on this right after the grant check clears my bank.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Oct 31, 2008, 17:41 ldonyo

Sorry, another Star Wars MMO will never be better than another KotOR.  

News Comments > Dante's Inferno Game Revealed
3. Re: Dante's Inferno Game Revealed Oct 31, 2008, 11:45 ldonyo

Given the amount of cash EA is hemorrhaging on a monthly basis, this may never see the light of day if they can't get a movie tie-in for it. As an added bonus, EA could use a DRM scheme that refuses to let legitimate customers ever play the game. Oh, wait, they already do that...  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Bug in PS3 firmware Oct 20, 2008, 20:41 ldonyo

Is this really news anymore? Has Sony released a version of PS3 firmware without a bug?  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
1. ATI HD 4850 X2 Oct 18, 2008, 18:01 ldonyo

Why? What possible reason could there be for producing a card that combines two mainstream graphics chips and two gigabytes of memory? Given the global nature of the current economic downturn, how many of these cards do ATI's manufacturing partners think they're going to sell?

Added to that question is this one: How many of these cards will be returned when the performance gain that is expected by the purchaser fails to materialize because Windows can only address the 2GB of video RAM and 2GB of system RAM for the 32-bit versions of XP and Vista?How many potential purchasers of these cards are even aware of the RAM addressing limitations of their 32-bit OS? How many sellers of these cards are aware of this?

News Comments > Legal Briefs
1. The Real Problem Oct 18, 2008, 17:49 ldonyo

It is clowns like this that are gaming's real problem, not the torrent sites. Just as screener DVDs are typically the ones that are copied and made available online by people that were trusted not to do just that, video games are being taken from the manufacturing floor of duplicators and sold to folks that then make copies and sell them.

I would guess that there is a background check involved at some point during the hiring process at places like Technicolor, but I do not know for certain. If there isn't, there should be. If there is, there is a definite need for improvement in the process. At the very least, shouldn't the employees go through some sort of check on their way out of the facility to make sure they didn't steal something?

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Digital Content 'Crisis' Oct 18, 2008, 17:22 ldonyo

The only crisis is that industries so used to creating a physical medium for their wares seem to have absolutely no clue how to work in a digital manner. The irony of this is that most of the content these industries create is stored, worked on and completed in a digital format before it is shipped off to be put onto a physical medium of some sort.

As for royalties from used game sales, that should happen at the same time that auto manufacturers get paid for the sale of a used car.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: No subject Oct 10, 2008, 19:46 ldonyo

Wasn't that Temple of Elemental Evil?  

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Finish Them Oct 10, 2008, 19:43 ldonyo

Gee, I thought getting people to pay to be beta testers was a new business model for most of the gaming industry?

OK, that's only half-kidding as I can't recall a major title that has released in the last several years that didn't have at least one show-stopping bug and/or patch within a week of being released.

News Comments > Diablo 3 Interview
13. Re: 5 Second Diablo 3 Interview Oct 2, 2008, 20:31 ldonyo

AusGamers: Besides having your characters level, are there any parts of a Diablo game that remotely resemble an RPG?

Blizzard: No.

News Comments > Can Games Help Older Drivers?
7. Re: pilot program in Pennsylvania Oct 2, 2008, 20:28 ldonyo

If the older drivers stay home and play games, they won't be on the freeway doing 35MPH in the fast lane. That will help everyone!  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. CliffyB Sep 30, 2008, 21:39 ldonyo

He's sounding more and more like John Romero every day.  

News Comments > Jack Thompson versus Disbarment
1. Can't Happen Fast Enough! Sep 30, 2008, 21:37 ldonyo

I image Jacko will be reduced to picketing outside GameStop when GTA V comes out.  

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Bungie Sep 27, 2008, 15:22 ldonyo

By the same token, record companies should get a cut of used CD sales, movie studios should get a cut of used DVD sales and book publishers should get a cut of used book sales. What is this guy smoking?  

News Comments > GoG & DRM Interview
13. Re: I love you guys at GOG Sep 27, 2008, 11:42 ldonyo

You can sign up and start buying games by going to gog.com/beta and using S2WVM63A as your invite code. I've picked up DRM-free versions of Fallout and Fallout 2 because Vista did not like the original game CDs.  

News Comments > Legal Briefs
1. RIAA Smackdown! Sep 26, 2008, 19:59 ldonyo

That is some of the harshest criticism of the Copyright Act handed down to date. It is also quite gratifying to see a sitting Judge have the courage to admit he screwed up the jury instructions.

Judge Michael J. Davis will probably end up branded, quite incottectly, as an 'activist judge' by those in Congress on the RIAA payroll. In point of fact, Judge Michael J. Davis is a shining example of how our judicial system should work all the time. Not his mistake, but his acknowledgment of and correction of his mistake.

News Comments > Metaverse
4. Re: Scientists discover why we overbid for o Sep 26, 2008, 19:49 ldonyo

There is also more than a little stupidity involved in a great number of cases, too.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Kotick and Guitar Hero Sep 26, 2008, 19:40 ldonyo

Given that the video game industry has brought classic rock to a whole new generation (and sold the hell out of DLC tunes in the process!), I believe Kotick has it completely correct. There are entire catalogs from artists that don't even get played on classic rock radio stations that have seen renewed interest from people that would never have given them the time of day before hearing tracks in the various music/rhythm-themed video games. Just how much is hours upon hours of advertising worth these days, anyway?  

1349 Comments. 68 pages. Viewing page 46.
< Newer [ 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo