Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Don Smutny

Real Name Don Smutny   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ldonyo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 16, 2005, 21:56
Total Comments 1520 (Pro)
User ID 23662

User comment history
< Newer [ 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ] Older >

News Comments > Legal Briefs
7. Re: Legal Briefs May 25, 2009, 16:46 ldonyo

The main issue with California's law, and every other piece of video legislation ever introduced in the USA, is that it criminalizes the sale of "violent" video games to minors. Criminalizes, as in jail sentence and monetary penalty, without actually defining what determines whether or not a game is violent. Nor does this law state just who will determine if a game falls into the non-defined category of "violent" video games.

Another issue is that video games are singled out for these criminal penalties, while other forms of entertainment, such as R-rated movies (17 or older only) can and are routinely sold to minors without anyone batting an eye. Under California's law, little Johnny cannot buy Grand Theft Auto, but he is not even slowed down when purchasing a movie like Scarface or one of the Saw series.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Champions Online Delay Explained
19. Re: Champions Online Delay Explained May 20, 2009, 21:33 ldonyo

Is "intense, story-driven introduction" some kind of code for "long, drawn-out and unskippable cutscene"?  

News Comments > New ATI Catalyst Drivers
17. Re: New ATI Catalyst Drivers May 19, 2009, 20:28 ldonyo

The Release Notes now point to the 9.5 document. Interestingly enough, the 9.5 Cats seem to have fixes for Vista and Windows 7 only.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation May 18, 2009, 20:10 ldonyo

how much profit are they seeing on their other marketing fronts?

None. Sony posted a billion dollar operating loss for last year.

News Comments > Metaverse
1. Re: Metaverse May 16, 2009, 13:31 ldonyo

Why is that comment not surprising coming from a Sony exec?  

4. Re: 41% of all PC software is pirated May 16, 2009, 09:11 ldonyo

The only thing true about the BSA are the first two letters. Everything else comes from the same fantasy land that the RIAA and MPAA live in.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation May 16, 2009, 09:07 ldonyo

I believe that the ? next to Iron Maiden indicates that they know there will be a Maiden song in the game, but not which one.  

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Movie
18. Re: Mass Effect 2 Movie May 16, 2009, 08:52 ldonyo

The last thing Mass Effect needs is a greater emphasis on combat. I really like Mass Effect 1, but I thought it was far too combat-heavy for anything claiming to be an RPG.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 15, 2009, 10:01 ldonyo

I'll pass on blu-ray. I don't have a 1080p TV and I'm not planning on buying one anytime soon.  

2. Re: New York Bill Would Add Fat Tax to Video May 15, 2009, 08:56 ldonyo

Bernie Madoff embodied greed far more than any government. That doesn't make this tax good, just puts things in proper perspective.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue May 14, 2009, 20:01 ldonyo

The Pesci screen test as Spock is short, but very funny!

Jobs is an ass. I hope that house gets designated as historical and forces him to move or restore it.

I think Megashark vs, Giant Octopus would be right at home as a Sci Fi channel movie. The casting fits right in with the stuff they produce, too!

3. Re: What Franchise? May 14, 2009, 19:54 ldonyo

How is Army of Two a franchise? It's a mediocre game with a pending expansion. That doesn't make it a franchise, except in EA's eyes. That may partially explain why they lost over $1 billion last year.  

News Comments > How to Develop a Gaming Career
3. Re: How to Develop a Gaming Career May 14, 2009, 19:50 ldonyo

I thought someone would suggest building a time machine and going back about 15 years to get started. That way, your chance of still being employed by a fiscally viable studio would be greatly enhanced.  

12. Re: Morning Consolidation May 13, 2009, 19:38 ldonyo

WSJ is as credible a news source as Faux News anymore. I'll wait until I see one on a shelf at Best Buy.

Analysts are in the same boat as WSJ and Faux News for credibility, only they're the ones doing the bailing.

I, too, think the XBL avatar nonsense is total crap. Every feature they added at the same time could have been implemented without the fucking avatar. It's just an excuse to get really stupid people and their children to buy even more worthless shit with their Microsoft Points. Whomever came up with the avatar scheme should be drawn and quartered.

News Comments > Midway Sale Suit
1. Re: Midway Sale Suit May 13, 2009, 19:29 ldonyo

How in the hell can you sue someone for legally selling their own stake in a company?  

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed May 12, 2009, 20:09 ldonyo

The only people that seem to be inconvenienced by game publishers' use of DRM are paying customers. That being the case, it only stands to reason that one reason PC game sales are down is a backlash against DRM. Other reasons are that there have been some truly gawd-awful games released as well as several major games released with major bugs left in them.

Until publishers stop treating their paying customers like criminals and the holiday shopping season as the only time games can be released, retail PC game sales are going to continue to sag.

CD Projekt's GOG.com site, which sells older games for cheap with no DRM of any kind, is a good example of people willing to pay for games without DRM. Yes, they're mostly five years old or older, but that isn't the point. The point is that the titles they have are selling well enough that more and more titles are being made available from ever-increasing numbers of publishers. The additional titles wouldn't be available if the DRM-free format wasn't working.

News Comments > Empire: Time of Troubles Announced
4. Re: Empire: Time of Troubles Announced May 12, 2009, 19:57 ldonyo

From the title, I thought this was an article about EA's finances.  

News Comments > EA Bonus Plan
14. Re: EA Bonus Plan May 12, 2009, 19:55 ldonyo

Shouldn't EA stop losing money first?  

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: force is machine May 12, 2009, 19:53 ldonyo

Who cares wtf, the slideshow is pretty decent, as are the girls.  

1. Re: Legal Briefs May 12, 2009, 19:50 ldonyo

Any thing released by the BSA is BS, especially when it included anything regarding software piracy.  

1520 Comments. 76 pages. Viewing page 46.
< Newer [ 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo