Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Don Smutny

Real Name Don Smutny   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ldonyo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 16, 2005, 21:56
Total Comments 1384 (Pro)
User ID 23662

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > OnLive Presentation
54. Re: OnLive will not benefit PC gaming as we know it. Dec 31, 2009, 19:49 ldonyo

jdreyer wrote on Dec 31, 2009, 16:49:
InBlack: I work with virtual servers every day. I know their limitations. I've also been a systems builder and game player for 20 years, and I know the limitations. Nothing here is beyond the technical limits of what is possible. There's very little here beyond what a cyber cafe does, except the hardware is even cheaper due to rack mounting and the 720p limitation. The only issue is whether it's cost effective.

Investors, especially in this economy, don't just throw their money at impossible projects. That this has attracted sufficient funding speaks volumes to the confidence that smart people think that this can be pulled off.

The whole Phantom mess originally attracted a boatload of investors and their money, which were eventually parted, so that argument is pointless as a measure of OnLive's feasibility.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 20, 2009, 20:16 ldonyo

Fox thinks a lot more highly of their programming than anyone I've ever talked to. $10 per subscriber is about 4 times what their programming is worth to someone outside of Fox.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Dec 19, 2009, 16:15 ldonyo

Video games do not need SAG, but SAG certainly needs video games.  

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Dec 13, 2009, 12:26 ldonyo

Ehh, Dragon Age is as overrated as Modern Warfare or Halo. Pity that the superior RPG, Demon's Souls, probably won't win RPG of the year simply because it is on a single platform and is more niche, because the awards are based on users' online votes.

Sounds like sour grapes to me. Have you even played Dragon Age: Origins? What is it about Demon's Souls that makes it better than Dragon Age: Origins? I don't own a PS3, so I haven't played any game exclusive to that platform.

The reason PS3 exclusive titles tend not to win online-voted awards is because there are more players on every other platform than there are on the PS3. More players equals more votes.

News Comments > Legal Briefs
1. Re: Legal Briefs Dec 11, 2009, 14:10 ldonyo

Just how is not discriminating against data packets based on type violating anything other than an ISP's desire to screw its customers over?  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 11, 2009, 08:12 ldonyo

Minors shouldn't be in virtual worlds without their parents' knowledge. Those same parents should know what is in those virtual worlds before allowing their children in them.  

News Comments > EA: Retails Sales to Decline 11% This Year
10. Re: EA: Retails Sales to Decline 11% This Year Dec 9, 2009, 17:32 ldonyo

Why the CEO of a company that has lost money for the last six quarters is invited to speak to investors is beyond me. Perhaps Riccitiello should forgo his salary until EA begins to turn a profit. Maybe that would induce him to see the inside of his office once in a while, at least.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2009, 12:27 ldonyo

I am so glad I no longer live in the Kansas City area! I don't mind snow and cold much, but I do mind having to listen to my wife complain about it for four months! I love Tucson!  

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: EGM Dec 9, 2009, 12:23 ldonyo

EGM died because it did not have enough subscribers to sustain it. How is rehiring the same staff going to make that different the second time around? Will the content be geared toward post-pubescent readers this time? With the same staff in charge, I doubt it.  

News Comments > EA: "A Billion People Gaming Today"
4. Re: EA: "A Billion People Gaming Today" Dec 9, 2009, 11:06 ldonyo

Maybe EA would be in better financial shape if Riccitiello spent more time trying to figure out how to turn a profit and less time doing interviews. Doesn't he have an entire PR department for this sort of crap?  

News Comments > Dragon Age: Origins Patch
1. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Patch Dec 7, 2009, 17:27 ldonyo

There is also an update for the D2D version. This is available through the D2D site or via the D2D download managers.  

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: Video game voice actors worry Dec 7, 2009, 14:21 ldonyo

This is why a large amount of the voice work in games is done by non-union talent. Another fine example of just how unions a screwing things up for their membership by pricing themselves right out of yet another market.  

News Comments > Safety Dance
2. Re: Safety Dance Dec 7, 2009, 14:17 ldonyo

I wouldn't use Norton even if Symantec paid me to. Well, unless they paid me a whole lot and I could buy a cheap PC just for Norton to screw up.  

News Comments > EA Wants #1 FPS Spot
44. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 17:30 ldonyo

Shouldn't EA be more concerned with stemming the flood of red ink from their books, first? If I were an EA shareholder, this would have me putting a sell order for every share I have and telling everyone I know to do the same.  

News Comments > Mass Effect 2: The Shooter
5. Re: Mass Effect 2: The Shooter Dec 3, 2009, 17:14 ldonyo

Losing the overheat nonsense is good. Sounding like you're turning my RPG into an FPS is bad.  

News Comments > BF Heroes Price Hikes
2. Re: BF Heroes Price Hikes Dec 1, 2009, 16:35 ldonyo

Wouldn't it have been easier and cheaper for EA to just kill this game outright rather than put it through the slow, lingering death it will now face?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 30, 2009, 09:47 ldonyo

I see the Church of Gore meets here too. Cryin' shame they put so much stock in an unproven hypothesis that is eerily parallel to the argument made by the "blame violent video games for violence" crowd.  

News Comments > Legal Briefs
4. Re: Legal Briefs Nov 26, 2009, 22:06 ldonyo

The Wired article's title is more than a little misleading, since it is the DOJ that wants the ruling overturned, not Obama. However, that title did get every Faux News and Limbaugh fanboy up in arms.  

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Specs & DRM Details
30. Re: Mass Effect 2 Specs & DRM Details Nov 25, 2009, 17:46 ldonyo

Wow I didn't realize dragon age didn't have activation drm, great news on me2. It's nice to have pc games that can be actually purchased! (ie you'll always have a working copy of the game in hand)

Dragon Age still has to be activated with EA, online, the first time you go to play it. All DLC and items codes need to be redeemed online, as well. It's not DRM, but it isn't a simple disk check, either.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 24, 2009, 09:35 ldonyo

I'd buy that for a dollar!  

1384 Comments. 70 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo