Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
West Point, NE 02/20

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Don Smutny

Real Name Don Smutny   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ldonyo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 16, 2005, 21:56
Total Comments 1440 (Pro)
User ID 23662

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 26, 2015, 11:31 ldonyo

Verno wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 10:17:
Sling TV review- Do cord cutters and “cord nevers” even want live TV?

For sports mainly, yeah. The individual streaming league passes are usually a rip off and come with their own headaches in terms of weird shit like black out periods and etc.
Only if you watch sports, which I no longer do. I was never into college sports and I've given up on professional sports as they seem more like TV/streaming commercial delivery systems than any kind of entertainment any more and there isn't one announcer broadcasting that I can tolerate for longer than 30 seconds.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Activision's Successful 2014
3. Re: Activision's Successful 2014 Jan 16, 2015, 13:21 ldonyo

HelpMeee wrote on Jan 16, 2015, 12:35:
Sell-through is actually a legit number (units sold to people). It's sell-in (units sold to stores to hopefully sell to people) that's the bullshit marketing speak.
Not when you use your internal estimates as a source and cherry-pick the other sources. Plus, it's physical sales numbers without taking digital distribution into account, which ought to be a huge red flag.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 15, 2015, 09:47 ldonyo

I don't have the funds to participate in the KS, but I'll be all over this when it lands on GOG!  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 13, 2015, 09:28 ldonyo

Boeing didn't sell their cybersecurity unit to Symantec. They licensed some of the IP and allowed Symantec to hire some people from that unit. It explains this in the second paragraph of the article, a paragraph clearly not read by the headline monkey at the Chicago Sun Times.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
14. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 13, 2015, 09:24 ldonyo

nin wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 09:16:
mag wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 04:59:
I wish more places would just sell flac. We're swimming in storage space and bandwidth, stop cheaping out!

Agreed. I'd buy a shitton more digital if it was flac. I use every opportunity to hassle amazon on their bookface page about it...
Mildly off topic, but GOG.com has FLAC versions of soundtracks for a fair number of their games and they continue to add more on a regular basis.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2015, 09:12 ldonyo

With Ted Cruz overseeing NASA, we can look forward to figuring out how to use bottle rockets to get supplies to the International Space Station and finding astronauts that can hold their breath for a very long time so they won't need air tanks.

Okay, not really. But, Ted has a very poor (no) grasp of science and this is not going to end well.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Dead Kings DLC Released
1. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Dead Kings DLC Released Jan 13, 2015, 09:07 ldonyo

So, this is more of a distraction to try and keep people from remembering the clusterfuck they called a release and hope they'll be forgiven when it happens next time.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
19. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 9, 2015, 09:28 ldonyo

The Fox Business article's title is completely misleading. CIO's and CISO's are hardly IT workers. All that moron talks about are CIO's and CISO's getting together to lobby Congress before "something" happens in the "future". Since said moron is an attorney, trying to get people to hire lobbyists is the only part of his drivel that makes any sense, and that "sense" is only from a lawyer's "racking up billable hours" perspective  

News Comments > Resident Evil HD Pre-Purchases & Bonuses
1. Re: Resident Evil HD Pre-Purchases & Bonuses Jan 8, 2015, 16:18 ldonyo

Sorry, but the original "Alone in the Dark" defined survival-horror and predates RE by over three years. Hell, the first three "Alone in the Dark" games came out before RE.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 8, 2015, 10:37 ldonyo

With hardware requirements like Witcher 3's, the PC isn't going anywhere any time soon.  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Dead Kings DLC Next Week
2. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Dead Kings DLC Next Week Jan 6, 2015, 13:51 ldonyo

Does this mean the issues in the main game have been addressed or is this just a distraction?  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 6, 2015, 11:12 ldonyo

If someone has physical access to your PC, your firmware really isn't the biggest problem.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 6, 2015, 11:07 ldonyo

A Syfy "reality" show? That's mixing the two absolutely worst elements of video programming and waiting for the set to explode!  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 6, 2015, 09:46 ldonyo

A $1200 Walkman is exactly why Sony is losing money faster than their networks get hacked.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 6, 2015, 09:40 ldonyo

Cutter wrote on Jan 5, 2015, 21:24:
1badmf wrote on Jan 5, 2015, 18:23:
i think that dish article needs a post of its own. it's the game changer in cable packages - a la carte internet tv, $5 per extra channel of your choice. the chord cutters have won!

It's a start but still not right. No one even wants to pay for a basic package anymore and $5 a channel is too much. Just let people pick and choose the channels they want for buck a month. That's it right there. That's all people want. All I want is PBS, TCM, TVO, and Teletoon Retro. And I'd grab a sports channel during football season. I'd only pay $5 a month if it was commercial free.

They're planning add-on packs of channels for an additional $5 a month per pack, if I'm reading this right:
The $20 Sling TV base package includes ESPN, ESPN2, Disney Channel, ABC Family, Food Network, HGTV, Travel Channel, TNT, CNN, TBS, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, and the "best of Internet video" with Maker Studios. Add-on packs with additional kids and news programming will be available for $5 each.
No mention of how many channels will be in any given pack, though, so there could potentially be single-channel packs.

News Comments > Roll20 Virtual Tabletop
8. Re: Roll20 Virtual Tabletop Jan 6, 2015, 09:33 ldonyo

Cutter wrote on Jan 6, 2015, 02:01:
commonperson wrote on Jan 5, 2015, 21:39:
Cutter wrote on Jan 5, 2015, 18:01:
Pretty cool, but the whole tiered free and premium crap leaves me cold. Just sell a complete damn product already. I'd still rather have a proper new NWN however, sigh.

You want some apples for those oranges? NWN is nothing at all like this, that's like saying "Well that's a nice boat but I want an airplane". This is a virtual table top for people to run games, the tiered product is so players can get the product without having to play and the GM can use the product.

Also it's basically in infinite trial period. My GM in Australia was running a game with people in North America and the UK for years didn't pay. I paid for the service because I wanted access to the locked out features like line of sight and lighting but if you are playing a role playing game like D&D none of that is even needed. The product is complete, they are just letting people try it out first.

I know you're the local curmudgeon Cutter but try and at least keep it vaguely related. When you pull NWN in to the equation you look like you are pulling at straws to come up with something to complain about.

Oh pleas, when will you trolls stop? Curmudgeon? How? Better go through my post history, scooter, because the positive far outweighs the negative. And I don't start the shit, I respond to it. People want to start fights, that's fine, I'll oblige them. If a game deserves criticism there's nothing surly about calling it as such. Sometimes, you just have to call a spade a spade, chief.

And obviously one of these things is not like the other. How long did it take for you to figure that out, sport? If you had half a brain, you'd understand what it was I was actually saying. I was PnPing before you were an accident in your mom.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/curmudgeon

That seems to sum it up quite nicely.

I may have you beat on PnP playing, as I started in 1976 with the white box set of D&D rules when I was 12.

Back on topic, this is pretty cool and would definitely be useful if our group dispersed across the globe.

News Comments > Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight
7. Re: Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight Dec 30, 2014, 10:51 ldonyo

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 10:48:
Bunch O Pussies. It's a game about killing... sounds fresh.

Manhunt and Postal were sort of fresh, but that was over a decade ago. This is just another mass murdering game following in their footsteps.

News Comments > Christmas Legal Briefs
1. Re: Christmas Legal Briefs Dec 25, 2014, 19:25 ldonyo

I hope Facebook gets hit big time!

Everyone knows the FCC is going to do exactly what telecom tells them too, all spouting of toughness aside.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 25, 2014, 19:22 ldonyo

I don't care what websites and magazines think were the best games. I do find it interesting that, in most cases, there were advertising dollars for said games spent at said websites and magazines.  

News Comments > Christmas Eve Mobilization
1. Re: Christmas Eve Mobilization Dec 24, 2014, 13:26 ldonyo

Priced at $220, yes. Worth $220? Maybe to some.  

1440 Comments. 72 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo