Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Don Smutny

Real Name Don Smutny   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ldonyo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 16, 2005, 21:56
Total Comments 1513 (Pro)
User ID 23662

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 2, 2015, 10:38 ldonyo

I already have Fallout 3 for my Xbox 360 and for the PC, as well, so this is not going to entice me at all. I have a feeling that this will be the case for a vast majority of people who would pre-order Fallout 4 for the Xbox One.

The game discount for Prime is welcome news!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > ELEX Announced
2. Re: ELEX Announced Jul 2, 2015, 10:33 ldonyo

Cutter wrote on Jul 2, 2015, 10:04:
I'm firmly in the camp that unless it's predicated on an actual word (e.g. MADD) than it's an abbreviation, not an acronym. Seeing as ELEX isn't an actual word it would therefore be an abbreviation.

It's an acronym for, "Eclectic, Lavish, Exhilarating, Xenial". An acronym is a word made out of the beginning letter or letters of a series of words and is used as a type of shorthand. It need not be based on an actual word and can lead to an actual word over time. The acronym for the phrase, "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge", being a prime example. An abbreviation is the shortened version of an actual word.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 1, 2015, 18:31 ldonyo

I would get the Pip-boy Edition, but it sells out the pre-orders so fast that it doesn't look like that's going to happen.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
1. Re: Evening Interviews Jul 1, 2015, 18:30 ldonyo

He should know, he's one of those publishers.  

News Comments > Valve on Steam Scams
6. Re: Valve on Steam Scams Jun 26, 2015, 17:54 ldonyo

Steam scams can easily be avoided, alright... by not buying your games from Steam or people that provide Steam keys.  

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Jun 26, 2015, 11:06 ldonyo

Pre-orders and day 1 sales are not remotely similar. Pre-orders are from people that decided they're going to get a game on the first day and are willing to pay for it in advance of that game's release, sometimes over a year in advance. These pre-orders mean that a publisher can count that money before the game ever ships and gives them no incentive to make sure the game is playable on release day.

Sadly, it has come to the point that many people expect there to be game-stopping bugs and multi-GB patches on release day for most AAA titles, followed by at least one more substantial patch in the first week or two of availability to resolve major issues and fix bugs that affect the vast majority of players.

News Comments > People Can Fly Returns
7. Re: People Can Fly Returns Jun 24, 2015, 17:36 ldonyo

siapnar wrote on Jun 24, 2015, 15:41:
I'd love, LOVE a new Painkiller game that is as creative as the original.
That would be awesome!

News Comments > More Arkham Knight Issues; GMG on Possible Refunds
1. Re: More Arkham Knight Issues; GMG on Possible Refunds Jun 24, 2015, 17:27 ldonyo

This type of thing is why I quit buying games anytime near their initial release. They're just not really done when they hit the store shelves anymore. It is not worth the aggravation and frustration to try and play a brand new game when it first comes out.  

News Comments > Wasteland 2 GotY Becomes Director's Cut
4. Re: Wasteland 2 GotY Becomes Director's Cut Jun 23, 2015, 12:57 ldonyo

I picked this up during GOG's DRM Free Summer Sale, but haven't done more than die of thirst in the desert. I'll wait until this is out before trying to go through the entire game.  

News Comments > Evening Previews
1. Re: Evening Previews Jun 23, 2015, 10:39 ldonyo

While some Dungeon Masters do indeed play against their players, the traditional role of the Dungeon Master has been more like a referee or storyteller. This shouldn't change just because you've moved the game from the tabletop to the Internet.

Sword Coast Legends looks interesting and sounds like it has potential, although it will need to allow a DM to make changes on-the-fly if they want to approximate the tabletop experience. Players will attempt things that the DM would never have imagined and he needs to be able to respond to those unanticipated turns of event immediately, not after tweaking some scripting.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Jun 22, 2015, 10:35 ldonyo

Perhaps sales and bundles aren't the real problem. Perhaps the real problem is that some people in the video game industry believe they're entitled to $50+ for a copy of their new game, no matter how long it has been out or what platform(s) it is on. Add to that the cost of the inevitable DLC and/or expansion packs and that game's cost surges well past $100 before it's all said and done. Sorry, but without bundles, discounts, sales and GotY editions, I, and many others like me, would buy far fewer games.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 19, 2015, 16:44 ldonyo

I just can't take anything the ESA says at face value, just as I view anything coming from the BSA, RIAA and MPAA as over-inflated or completely fabricated.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 15, 2015, 14:02 ldonyo

Sprint is already #2, and I'm not talking about market positioning.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jun 10, 2015, 10:31 ldonyo

The Feds seem to be working on an "intimidate to prevent future comments of this type" approach. This may work in countries where you get shot for making these types of comments in public, but I doubt it's going to do anything worthwhile here.  

News Comments > GOG.com Deal Overload
5. Re: GOG.com Deal Overload Jun 9, 2015, 14:16 ldonyo

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 9, 2015, 12:26:
Meh. Still no X-Wings on sale...

Just wait, they may go on sale in the second half of the event. I would love to see the X-Wing games go on sale, as well.

News Comments > Sword Coast Legends in September; Console Editions Announced
5. Re: Sword Coast Legends in September; Console Editions Announced Jun 9, 2015, 14:13 ldonyo

Fion wrote on Jun 9, 2015, 12:05:
I'm still mildly interested. I know the game's story revolves around the Underdark of the Sword Coast, Drizzt and perhaps travel to the Abyss because there's a mega-adventure for 5th edition D&D due right around the same time that deals with the Sword Coast's underdark, Drizzt's involvement and the demon lord of undeath - Demogorgon. Also the MMO Neverwinter will be releasing related content around the same time, not that I play.

Orcus is the Prince of the Undead. Demogorgon is the Prince of Demons, although Orcus wants that title, too.

Neverwinter isn't bad, but it gets kind of repetitive, as all grind-style MMO's do. New enemies and new abilities just can't hide the fact that you're just running around clicking on mouse buttons and keyboard keys until you or your enemies fall over dead. At least Neverwinter is free.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jun 9, 2015, 12:09 ldonyo

Cutter wrote on Jun 9, 2015, 11:10:
So very, very sad.
I thought it was pretty cool, especially creating all the books and items that you see on shelves in Skyrim. Would I do it? No, but that doesn't make it sad.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2015, 10:42 ldonyo

The trick to enjoying any show based on a book series, be it a television or movie series, is to view it as a completely separate entity and not expect it to be anything like the books. I found this to be true for True Blood, Lord of the Rings, and The Hobbit, as well as Game of Thrones, so far and I do not expect things to ever change in this regard.  

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 8, 2015, 10:37 ldonyo

Aw, did poor Uwe's German tax credit stream dry up and force him to actually get his own financing? Maybe he'll finally get the hint that no one wants him to destroy any more properties in his attempts to play movie director.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 5, 2015, 13:37 ldonyo

Show this article to the average consumer in the US and see how fast their eyes glaze over.  

1513 Comments. 76 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo