Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Don Smutny

Real Name Don Smutny   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ldonyo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 16, 2005, 21:56
Total Comments 1418 (Pro)
User ID 23662

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 15, 2014, 09:57 ldonyo

If Sprint really means that, then either they aren't terribly concerned with having actual coverage in very many areas or they are very nearsighted in terms of network vision.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 12, 2014, 09:33 ldonyo

That's true, Driveclub can't make Sony's reputation any worse than it already is. In fact, now would be the perfect time for Sony to release a metric shit-ton of shovelware for cheap, just to see if they can't pull in a few more bucks and somewhat slow the financial hemorrhaging they've been experiencing for last several quarters.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 8, 2014, 11:07 ldonyo

Richard Posner should be removed from the bench and never allowed near anything to do with law for the rest of his life.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 8, 2014, 10:37 ldonyo

The GAO states what customers have know for years. Next up, the GAO states that water is wet.  

News Comments > Free Age of Wonders with GOG.com Winter Sale
20. Re: Free Age of Wonders with GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 4, 2014, 14:14 ldonyo

Orogogus wrote on Dec 4, 2014, 12:39:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 4, 2014, 12:37:
Orogogus wrote on Dec 4, 2014, 12:29:
On the flip side, an hour is too fast for me. I just don't bother looking. It's too much like playing a freemium game that treats you like your time is worthless. 4-5 times a day might be about right; if they run 6 of them at once for 6 hours at a time then I'll probably check in. 24 times a day is well into piss-off territory.

Actually, GOG adds games every hour, but they stay on sale for 5 or 6 hours, so you don't need to check every hour.

Was it always that way? I'm pretty sure I tried keeping track in a previous sale and was unhappy with how they ran it. If they've changed it around that's good.

Their front page is kind of a mess, though.

The flash sales are usually like this and there is typically a "one last blast" of everything that was on sale near the end. Their insomnia sales are the ones that change games every hour with nothing carrying over. These, too, usually have an "everything that was on sale" finale at the end.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 25, 2014, 10:50 ldonyo

Cutter wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 10:44:
There are no other worker shortages in any other industry either. There's just bad/greedy ownership and management.

The real issue, say Salzman and others, is the industry’s desire for lower-wage, more-exploitable guest workers, not a lack of available American staff. “It seems pretty clear that the industry just wants lower-cost labor,” Dean Baker, the co-director of the Center for Economic and Policy Research, wrote in an e-mail. A 2011 review by the U.S. Government Accountability Office found that the H-1B visa program, which is what industry groups are lobbying to expand, had “fragmented and restricted” oversight that weakened its ostensible labor standards. “Many in the tech industry are using it for cheaper, indentured labor,” says Rochester Institute of Technology public policy associate professor Ron Hira, an EPI research associate and co-author of the book Outsourcing America.

And yet people do nothing. In fact, they keep voting against their own future. Insanity. Utter insanity.

The sad part is that we won't see the results of the last election's sheer idiocy until next January, when the most ludicrous legislation ever passed by Congress starts piling up on the President's desk.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 24, 2014, 11:29 ldonyo

The range of cards benchmarked for DA:I was very good and I was happy to see a very diverse field of CPUs, as well.

Also, contacting Dragon Age servers was an issue throughout this past weekend, at least for me. Hopefully, for EA's sake, this is not the beginning of another SimCity-esque server meltdown.

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 24, 2014, 11:24 ldonyo

CenturyLink doesn't believe broadband speeds need to be over 1.5mbps for DSL in non-urban areas in southern Arizona, either.  

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Nov 24, 2014, 09:46 ldonyo

It wasn't releasing on the same day as Half-Life 2 that hurt sales, since it actually came out a couple of days after HL2 as a stipulation from Valve for using the then-new Source engine. This meant that Troika had to wait until Valve fixed bugs in Source before they could fix bugs in Bloodlines. This and the near-total lack of support from Atari pretty much killed this game at retail.  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
8. Re: Saturday Metaverse Nov 24, 2014, 09:35 ldonyo

I cut the cord a few years ago and use Netflix and Amazon Prime for a lot of my viewing. I supplement this with checking out seasons of shows and movies from my local library. This requires patience, but gives me a chance to view potential blu-ray purchases before actually making the purchase and enables me to wait until those titles go on sale.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Nov 19, 2014, 10:20 ldonyo

So far Dragon Age looks to be a solid game. I'm still going to wait for the everything edition, because I fully expect EA to release a minimum of five DLC packs for this, if not 10.  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Optimization Plans
1. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Optimization Plans Nov 19, 2014, 10:14 ldonyo

Shouldn't they have done some optimization before they released it?  

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Nov 18, 2014, 12:39 ldonyo

I'm partial to GOG's sales. No DRM and some fantastic bargains!  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age: Inquisition
8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age Inquisition Nov 18, 2014, 12:37 ldonyo

David Gaider's third Dragon Age book, "Asunder", is not only a great read, but provides a ton of background on the Mage/Templar schism.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age: Inquisition
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age Inquisition Nov 18, 2014, 09:40 ldonyo

I really hope this doesn't turn out like ME3 did!  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Op Ed Nov 17, 2014, 12:15 ldonyo

LibertyOrDeath wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 12:00:
Al Fraknkinstin is a big government democrat. You might want to research and find out about the truth. You actual want big government in your internet? Fools...
You might want to do some research of your own and find out what Net Neutrality really is before taking Ted Cruz at his word on it or writing comments about it.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Patch 3 Preview & Tips
1. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Patch 3 Preview & Tips Nov 16, 2014, 14:08 ldonyo

Tip #1: Wait until this mess is sorted before buying the game. Even then, think very carefully before making your purchase.  

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 14, 2014, 10:22 ldonyo

Someone needs to explain how terrestrial radio works to Taylor Swift...  

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Game Reviews Nov 13, 2014, 10:37 ldonyo

I've never liked Metacritic, but that's because of the completely opaque way they come up with their scores. Any time you start weighting scores to get your number, I call shenanigans and leave the room.  

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 13, 2014, 10:31 ldonyo

Pigeon wrote on Nov 13, 2014, 09:40:
Wheeler told attendees of the meeting, according to the Post's sources. “What I’ve got to figure out is how to split the baby.”

So he's going to make a decision so horrible one of the sides will give up in order to keep the internet from being completely destroyed?

He'll find that decision, then look a bit harder and come up with an even worse one to make both sides give up.

1418 Comments. 71 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo