Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jeff Hamblin

Real Name Jeff Hamblin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname painh8r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 16, 2005, 16:18
Total Comments 17 (Suspect)
User ID 23659

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 18, 2012, 13:18 painh8r

I think you should add a correction to the link:

"EA, Netflix, RIM And Verisign Removed From NASDAQ."

to

"EA, Netflix, RIM And Verisign Removed From NASDAQ. (removed from NASDAQ-100 index, that is)"

The article's title implies those stocks were delisted, which is hugely different than removal from an index.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Science Nov 6, 2009, 12:55 painh8r

"Device that 'smells' human fear could identify terrorists."... or someone late for a job interview...  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2009, 14:24 painh8r

I had my nose cammed a few months ago. Much less discomfort than the "other" cammable orifice.  

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2009, 14:04 painh8r

No kidding -- QUAKE LIVE -- I am so addicted to it! I haven't upgraded my computer in 5 years (having a kid will do that to you) and having a current game that runs fast is a blast! I forgot how much I missed CTF, though I find myself hankering for the old Quake 2 grappling hook at times  

3. backhoe as a sledgehammer Sep 30, 2008, 12:16 painh8r

Yeah, I had to put up with weeks of that a couple of years ago during a project to underground the overhead utilities. I live on an intersection corner, so we had trenches going in all directions. There's a layer of clay here that's like concrete when it's dry, so they had to pound through it with the backhoe. I thought my windows were going to break it was shaking our house so bad! To top it off, my son had just been born and it make it hard to catch up on lost sleep.

8. Re: Concrete... Sep 23, 2008, 15:25 painh8r

It's part of the sidewalk project -- the new sidewalks are about three inches higher than the old ones, so now they need to create a slope leading back to our porch, rather than a cliff...

That ought to make a nice swimming pool when it rains
Let's hope they raise your walkway as well.

On another note: Is it government workers or contractors? In my neck of the woods (the west coast) we had a crew of contractors replacing a bunch of curb sections earlier this year. It took them 2 days. A month ago, some city workers started work on replacing the curbs around an alley outlet, 5 separate working days, and it's still -- not -- done. I have nothing against govt workers, but that's just silly.

13. Grinder Jul 24, 2008, 12:53 painh8r

I've had a Braun KSM2-BLK for 8 years, that grinds a least one load every day. I know the blade models aren't considered to be the best -- but it's reliable, easy to maintain, and less than 30 bux.

24. Re: sump pump Mar 13, 2008, 12:59 painh8r

Oh hell, here's a photo:

OMG! Jimmy Hoffa's down there! Get on the horn to Geraldo...

Seriously -- I do a lot of my own home repairs and improvements, but I'd have an experienced plumber take a look at that thing. Bizarre.

12. Re: Sump pump Mar 11, 2008, 11:23 painh8r

Adding untreated water to the city's water supply is illegal and probably a generally bad idea.

Hmmm... while not legal, running run-off water to a drain doesn't add it to the water supply, just the sewer load.

As for the sump pump, be sure to have the outlet pipe include a backflow preventer. And if your property doesn't slope away from the house, the outlet piping can probably be run underground to a dry well (a big hole filled with rock and gravel, a good distance from your foundation) -- although that will depend on local codes. Have a pro do it.

11. Re: Wow Feb 4, 2008, 13:15 painh8r

First, you gotta understand that I'm from San Diego and we all have hated Eli ever since he thumbed his nose at us in the draft (since when is the NFL draft a dutch auction?). Also remember we lost out on Peyton and got Ryan Leaf. Ugh. As much as we dislike the Pats, we wanted them to win. That said, your Giants deserved it. The defensive line won the game, but Eli was pretty amazing too. That last drive was astounding. I still can't believe that catch of Tyree's -- in super slow motion it was jaw-dropping. Congrats.

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 13:17.

8. Skunks... Oct 5, 2007, 12:58 painh8r

I've lived in a few houses with wood floors and crawlspaces underneath. One house in particular had some openings that allowed skunks to get under the house. Sometimes they would spray some other animal intruder. You can imagine what it was like to have that smell coming up through the floorboards! I fled the house on more than one occasion (and ultimately shored up the foundation vents).

21. No subject Jul 3, 2007, 13:06 painh8r

Anyway, I'm not sure those caps actually do anything

The caps keep grit out of the valve seal. Lessens the chance of a leak after the valve has been operated, such as when checking the pressure or adding air.

15. Re: Laptop suggestions? Apr 24, 2007, 14:29 painh8r

With laptops, I recommend that you go to a store like Best Buy where you can spend some time with the different models. There are a lot of variations in screen and keyboard quality and specs that can make a big difference. For instance, a lot of the recent models have widescreens with a very reflective surface. They look cool at first, but don't be wowed. Not only do I find the relatively small widescreens less desirable for normal computer usage (other than movie viewing), reflections on the surface can be really annoying. I bought a Gateway. Performance is fine, but the shiny widescreen and flimsy keyboard really bug me now.

I recently helped my mother buy a laptop. We found a Toshiba that I wish I had bought. Much better screen and keyboard.

21. Nasty bugs... Mar 28, 2007, 11:31 painh8r

Wow, I can't recall being this sick in a long time,...

If you think you're sick now, try having a kid in daycare. My 2 year old boy started daycare 9 months ago and (I just checked my calendar) I have been sick eleven (yes 11) times during that period from bugs he's brought home! 8 colds, 2 sinus infections and 1 nasty stomach flu. And I used to be pretty darned healthy... cough, cough...

14. Re: Vision Oct 29, 2005, 16:16 painh8r

It does take a few days to get used to contacts. Both vision and comfort.

Just go to a drug store and get a cheap pair of reading glasses for close-up vision -- that will correct for the contacts.

5. FireFox and Hulk ad issue? Aug 25, 2005, 11:42 painh8r

I'm using latest version of Firefox. Today, if I scroll down to read Out of the Blue, and can see the top of the big ad below it, the dropdown main URL control in Firefox stops working until I use the back button to leave bluesnews or click a link to jump somewhere else.... weird.

15. That BSOD Aug 16, 2005, 12:50 painh8r

I've seen that particular "IRQL not less..." BSOD when RAM is starting to fail. Try running MemTest86 on your system.

17 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo