Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Robert H.

Real Name Robert H.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname OpticNerve
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com
Signed On Aug 12, 2005, 22:12
Total Comments 228 (Novice)
User ID 23638

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Patches
19. Re: Evening Patches Dec 10, 2014, 20:11 OpticNerve

Yeah, Angry Joe should've given the game more of a thorough run-through before jumping the gun with his impressions. But I suppose that's common now with YouTube "celeb" reviewers who try to be the first to get reviews or impressions with certain anticipated games.

MP does offer you the option to buy chests with real money but chests are really easy to earn. At the lowest difficulty, beating one mission earns you enough gold to buy one medium chest (which gives the most bang-for-your-gold) and some extra gold left over. At higher difficulties, you get even more gold. Even when you fail a mission, you keep any gold and loot that you've picked up. So the "pay-for-chests" thing isn't really a big issue given how absurdly easy it is to get enough gold to purchase them.

I've found MP to be a lot of fun with friends but they do need to add more maps and more content for it to last since it is starting to get repetitive. They also need to nerf the Demon boss. Cause fuck him and his cheap skills and tactics.

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans
97. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans Dec 10, 2014, 17:14 OpticNerve

Creston wrote on Dec 10, 2014, 16:39:
OpticNerve wrote on Dec 10, 2014, 16:32:
My characters still look the same with non-plastic-shiny hair and I haven't run into any big issues.

That seems odd, since there is definitely a config mismatch going on, as confirmed by Bioware. What settings were you playing at before patch (and after?)

My settings that could affect characters are:
- Texture Quality: High
- Mesh Quality: High (due to the shiny-hair issue prior to the patch)
- Post-Process Quality: Low (hate motion blur in most games)

I can't honestly say that my system is magical in any regard (it needs a big upgrade, thus a new videocard for starters) and two other friends who have DA:I swear that they haven't been affected by the shiny-hair or age/complexion issue with the new patch either (if they did, I'd be hearing a LOT of bitching and complaining about it on voice-chat).

I'm not doubting that it's affecting a lot of people though and while I do think that this patch needed a lot of QA before release, at least there is a workaround via simple command-line and the devs know what the culprit is.

Sadly, I think I've become jaded enough as a long-time PC gamer to expect there to be buggy games now as technology gets more advanced and publishers try to rush out games to meet a certain deadline or holiday quarter (AC: Unity, Far Cry 4, Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris spring to mind). It's sad to say but I'm happy-enough if there are easy workarounds or fixes and I can just play my game. I freely admit that it's a bad state-of-mind to have when it comes to PC games these days but we PC gamers have dealt with this kind of shit for ages and it's not exactly new territory to tread. I'll let others argue back and forth and speak up about certain buggy games since me adding to the arguments and complaints aren't going to get things fixed any quicker (unless I know what a certain fix or problem is of course). I have enough drama in real life and at work to deal with as it is :]

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans
93. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans Dec 10, 2014, 16:32 OpticNerve

I suppose I'm lucky that the patch didn't seem to botch up anything for me (so far). My characters still look the same with non-plastic-shiny hair and I haven't run into any big issues. Which is odd considering that I was constantly crashing and getting DirectX errors with the release version until I updated my AMD drivers, disabled the in-game Origin shit and ran the game in windowed-fullscreen mode. That seemed to fix any of the main issues (controls and UI aside) that I had with the game.

Kind of worried that this patch is going to eventually cause my system to magically explode given all the issues that I'm reading about :/

News Comments > Game Reviews
35. Re: Game Reviews Dec 4, 2014, 14:48 OpticNerve

Darks wrote on Dec 4, 2014, 12:07:
BTW, has anyone else been crafting items? I really like how this works in the game. its been a really nice surprise to make something that actually is an upgrade.

Over all, still loving the game. I just love all the exploring you can do.

Yeah, if you find the right materials (or grind for it) you can craft some seriously broken (as in OP) gear. Hey, why not make a whole set of enchanted weapons for your party which adds Guard per hit? Hey, let's craft your party a set of enchanted armor that regens your life as a % of damage you take, even with Guard or Barriers on you? Hey, let's craft armor that is from material that is non-class specific so that your Mage or Archer can equip heavy plate? Hey, let's combine ALL of those together so that your main character simply does not ever die?

Crafting's broken. But broken in an awesome way

News Comments > Red Faction Guerilla Patch Removes GFWL
16. Re: Red Faction Guerilla Patch Removes GFWL Dec 3, 2014, 20:45 OpticNerve

Dacron wrote on Dec 3, 2014, 20:42:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 3, 2014, 18:18:
Did they fix the sound bug? I mean the one where all sounds are extremely low volume except a FEW sounds close to you? Sounds like you have head in a metal barrel

Am I the only one with that problem? ;p

I played for a few hours today and all the sound/visual bugs appear to be gone. I've had the sound bug in the past.

That sound bug seems to FINALLY be fixed for me. Although it does seem like the sound sliders in the audio options no longer does anything but that's not a big issue since I can just lower the volume outside of the game.

16. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Dec 3, 2014, 15:08 OpticNerve

Yeah, DA:I should have included a more in-your-face way of telling you that you didn't have to stay in Hinterlands for so long. It's pretty much like playing Skyrim and just hanging out and wandering around in the starting area and thinking, "wtf, all I'm doing is doing is collecting herbs, fighting wolves and doing lowbie, menial quests. This is boring as hell."

It's obvious that Bioware tried to combine both Skyrim and their past Dragon Age games and while it has some warts, I've found it to be a blast so far. Hopefully future patches can help fix those obvious warts and bugs.

As for people who have had crashing and lock-up issues with the game, disabling the in-game Origin interface as well as running the game in windowed-fullscreen mode fixed that problem for me for some odd reason. It kind of figures that Origin would somehow be the possible culprit of being the only game or program that's ever fully locked up Windows 7 for me...

22. Re: Game Reviews Dec 2, 2014, 14:41 OpticNerve

Verno wrote on Dec 2, 2014, 14:36:
OpticNerve wrote on Dec 2, 2014, 14:32:
One thing that baffles me a bit is that archers have the option to move (and eventually upgraded to run) while attacking but as far as I know, melee characters don't seem to have that option. I think that having the option to be able to move while meleeing would make melee combat a lot more fun rather than having it root you in place when attacking and having the enemy move away while you're flailing at the air.

I can understand the reasoning for that in slow-paced games such as the Dark Souls 1 and 2, but DA:I is a bit more fast-paced and I think it would have benefited from a snappy melee combat system similar to Guild Wars 2 IMO.

There are few drawbacks to playing ranged to be honest, its an all around fantastic experience. You can attack from extremely long engagement ranges with it, you get elevation bonuses if you talent it, nice big view of the field to better deal with things, lots of damage/utility options and great specs. In previous games ranged was kind of an afterthought but I have to say they did well by it here.
I agree. The same goes for mages, although dealing with the wonky tactical camera system in DA:I can be frustrating at times. That being said, I am tempted to roll a 2h warrior for my next character after seeing what a tanky beast a Reaver-specced Iron Bull is. That's mainly due to the big aoe of Whirlwind though and I'm sure that the early levels of it will be frustrating due to the issues of melee combat that have been mentioned.

19. Re: Game Reviews Dec 2, 2014, 14:32 OpticNerve

Verno wrote on Dec 2, 2014, 13:54:
I appreciate the offer but I saw a similar script several days ago on the Bioware forums dude, its just the general controls and mechanics. The engagement range on enemies is tiny meaning you often whiff if people move an inch, positioning is annoying due to the enlarged models on several enemies and there is no auto-move to enemy to list a few examples. Ranged is just easier to play and you have the added bonus of seeing the whole field. Melee tends to do more burst damage but it also soaks a lot of damage/CC from enemy abilities. I should have done melee first though, I am totally spoiled by the survivability, utility and etc from ranged classes.

Hopefully they address some of this stuff (and other PC oddities) in a patch soon. They are lucky the game is relatively stable because the UI/controls they shipped in the PC version are a disgrace.

One thing that baffles me a bit is that archers have the option to move (and eventually upgraded to run) while attacking but as far as I know, melee characters don't seem to have that option. I think that having the option to be able to move while meleeing would make melee combat a lot more satisfying rather than having it root you in place when doing the attack animation and the enemy moves away while you're flailing at the air.

I can understand the reasoning for that in slow-paced games such as the Dark Souls 1 and 2, but DA:I is a bit more fast-paced and I think it would have benefited from a snappy melee combat system similar to Guild Wars 2 IMO.

News Comments > Firefall Launches
18. Re: Firefall Launches Jul 30, 2014, 06:15 OpticNerve

I haven't played this in a while, but did the developers ever go back on their whole "permanent item damage/repair pool" thing with gear?

I remember that being a big bone of contention with various players and the developers being very stubborn about that "feature." A bunch of friends and I uninstalled the game since that felt like an artificial gimmick which forced players to endlessly grind and craft (ie. Thump) to stimulate the bare-bones AH economy since our gear was constantly damaged and would eventually be completely broken. Plus the whole developer attitude of, "deal with it, we're a small studio and can't constantly put out new content to stimulate the economy" was off-putting.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
24. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 28, 2014, 15:14 OpticNerve

Verno wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 10:45:
Rogues are only really good for taking down a boss quickly but my 2H Warrior can do that too and actually take hits. My mages are ridiculous, they can CC everything, clear the field and rarely ever take a hit.

Rogues are playable but not really optimal compared to other classes IMO. But of course its an RPG so do whatever fancies you

Pretty much this. Rangers are also a bit underwhelming but can still be useful due to the abundance of elemental arrows, basically making them Mages-lite. My 2h melee hybrid guy's a lot of fun though.

It's easy enough to make an overpowered party (1 melee tank, everyone else a mage or hybrid) and turn battles into a cakewalk, but part of the fun for me is making a diverse party (2h melee, sword and board, ranger/thief and mage) and finding various ways to win battles with that composition.

As it's been said by another poster, balance isn't good between the classes but that's like saying that the Dark Souls games have a horrible combat system because of the obvious balance issues with the various classes. There are very few RPGs in general where the classes are balanced across the board. There'll ALWAYS be one or two really strong classes in an RPG and one or two underwhelming classes. Hopefully the developers will try and balance the classes as much as possible but very few ever do. That still doesn't change that there might be a really great combat system in place underneath it all and that's the case for me with D:OS.

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 2014, 15:20.

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 27, 2014, 23:55 OpticNerve

None of my character's classes have been pure classes and I often dip into other skills so I haven't had a problem with that. The game does have balance issues (such Mages being OP and Rogues being crap) but that doesn't change how fun the combat system is for me.  

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 27, 2014, 23:28 OpticNerve

Yeah, in Divinity, Mages are definitely overpowered with certain elemental combinations and status effects do pretty much rule (ie. melee's knockdown skill). That being said, I'm enjoying the hell out of the combat system and working out a strategy that decimates an enemy party is part of the fun for me. It's probably my favorite turn-based combat system that I've played in an RPG so far and I really do hope that more studios see how awesome turn-based combat can be in that genre.

Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 were fantastic games in regards to it's characters and plotline but I always thought that it's combat system wasn't all that great and that goes for the Dragon Age games as well. It always felt distant somehow and less like you're right there in the thick of combat and more like you're some omnipotent general controlling troops like an RTS with a pause button. But that's just me.

I can't really compare BG1/2 and Divinity: OS since they're apples and oranges to me. The Baldur's Gate games have memorable characters and an enthralling plotline with a drab combat system and a very static world whereas Divinity is a large playground of a world with an insane amount of interaction and a fantastic combat system. Unfortunately it also has completely forgettable characters as well as a drab plotline.

This comment was edited on Jul 27, 2014, 23:39.

News Comments > Gearbox Announces "Hero Shooter" Battleborn
17. Re: Gearbox Announces Jul 8, 2014, 16:25 OpticNerve

Almost everything about this trailer looked a bit cheap and forced, especially from using an M83 song to try and get some sort of emotion that doesn't suit the badly animated and designed visuals. Hell, even the fonts used aren't that fitting :/

Expected a LOT more design and visual flair from Gearbox after their fantastic Borderlands trailers.

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 8, 2014, 04:59 OpticNerve

Quinn wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 04:05:
I do recommend everyone to start with a male and female companion. My only regret regarding the builds is that I chose 2 males. Impulsive Rogue & Wise old Cleric, I liked the roleplay idea. Some companion dialogue is obviously meant for a male&female relationship.

Also, is there any way to change portraits? I made a dumb mistake regarding the Cleric portrait. The portrait doesn't have a goatie! :O

Not 100% sure but I think you can change your portrait when you respec later on. Someone here further along in the game might know for sure.

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 2014, 05:53.

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 7, 2014, 19:57 OpticNerve

fiftykyu wrote on Jul 7, 2014, 19:30:
Ok, heard too many good things from everyone, finally broke down and bought Divinity: Original Sin. Don't remember any of the older games, so either I never played them or it was so long ago I forgot. Hope no previous knowledge is necessary to enjoy this one!
Original Sin is supposedly a prequel so no knowledge of the other games are needed.

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 7, 2014, 17:19 OpticNerve

Some combat tips I've discovered with my play-throughs:

- Don't underestimate barrels. If one of your characters is strong enough, they can actually loot and save various water or oil barrels to toss or place in battle to set up an elemental combo. You can loot candles too (hint, hint).

- Mages are OP simply because they can trigger devastating elemental field combos. Lay down an oil field and light them all on fire with a fireball. Blood also acts as water so bleed them if you're a witch or warrior and electrocute them. There are even some multi-trigger elemental combos that you can do that'll pretty much devastate the enemy group.

- Remember that you can flee in battle, so don't be afraid to flee and tackle that group of enemies later when you're better equipped or skilled.

- Try to get a well-rounded team going. So far there are only two Companions (basically henchmen with voices) but the hireable Henchmen are just as good.

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 7, 2014, 07:11 OpticNerve

Just to let everyone know, you'll eventually find a way to reroll characters in-game for a cheap cost. The only downside is that you lose the spells/skills that you've learnt and have to get/buy those books again.

I will say that the game can be unexpectedly hard at times and is a bit more punishing due to all the variables and quirks that make the game great. But that's part of the fun and makes finding builds that work much more satisfying (I'm loving my modified 2h Knight/Hydro/Witch build with his Leech trait - If I can't heal myself, I just bleed em' all and let their blood soothe my wounds muhaha).

I do recommend modifying the premade classes since there's a ton of depth there with the builds, skills and traits. The premades pretty much only decide what starting gear you get since you can customize them and create your own defining class. If you wanted to make a glass-cannon, 2h-wielding, armored mage, you could easily do that by picking Knight and just customizing him just with INT and mage spells. He might end up blowing balls or maybe he'll let you roflstomp your way through the game on hard mode with ease. That's what makes this game's customizable class system great IMO.

This comment was edited on Jul 7, 2014, 07:27.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Sells Like the Devil
22. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Sells Like the Devil Jul 5, 2014, 17:07 OpticNerve

Love the game and the emergent gameplay that's been popping up. People in one forum have come up with a fun wacky build where they max out STR, telekinesis and get the pack-mule trait.

What they do is find a chest, put a bunch of heavy junk items in it, put that in another chest and put that in another chest (dubbed Chestception) since that increases the total weight of the one final chest (heavier items = more damage when thrown). Then they put it in their inventory, get into battle and basically use telekinesis to throw that one heavy chest at enemies which does a ton of AoE damage (someone said that a certain weight-class chest can kill a level 20 enemy in three throws).

Hopefully the devs don't nerf that since I love games that reward people for thinking outside the box when it comes to builds and gameplay. I'm really glad that Divinity: OS is selling well and has been the #1 top-seller at Steam for a while now. Hopefully it'll stay there for a good long while!

This comment was edited on Jul 5, 2014, 21:09.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Co-op Support
15. Re: Far Cry 4 Co-op Support Jun 11, 2014, 04:23 OpticNerve

I hope FC4's co-op isn't like Assassin's Creed 5's bullshit co-op missions crap. It's really grating how they'll now use "co-op" as a feature bulletpoint when it's essentially tacked on separate co-op missions.

66. Re: Steam Top 10 May 12, 2014, 15:12 OpticNerve

For DS2 with a K+M, just use AutoHotKey and pick whatever script's being tossed around in the Steam or reddit forums and edit it to your preferred layout tastes. Voila, no more input lag.

Yes, we all wish that From Software would actually fix the thing in the first place but it's hardly a game-ender for keyboard and mouse users if you just look around a bit.

228 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo