Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brataccas

Real Name Brataccas   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 11, 2005, 18:08
Total Comments 34 (Suspect)
User ID 23626

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
39. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2014, 19:58 Brataccas

Cutter wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 19:46:
Just saw this in a report....

Finally, Oculus said in the next 10 years virtual reality will become "ubiquitous, affordable, and transformative."

Oh really? So it's going to be Snow Crash for everyone in 10 years is it? Hrm, still waiting for my flying car, meals in pill form, and swingin' bachelor pad on the moon.

Zuck is rattling on how this is the future? Ok, a niche market of gaming geeks wearing these are one thing. But the populous at large wielding these monstrosities to social network? Check email? Hang out together and watch movies, sports, etc? Uh huh, yeah. Sure. Take another hit off that pipe Zuck.

Reminds me of being back in college in 1990 when VR and Jaron Lanier were all the rage.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2014, 19:52 Brataccas

nin wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 19:31:
Well, in all fairness, they did have a working product. I don't think it was worth 2 billion, but they did a lot more than a lot of kickstarters.

Yeah, I was just being cheeky. But the fact that they paid that much for a company that hasn't produced a successful commercial product yet makes me go "hmmm". It's like they have Google Glass envy...

30. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2014, 19:30 Brataccas

nin wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 18:50:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 18:42:
Also, is it just me, or is $2B a crazy amount for a company that hasn't even shipped a product?

And started as a kickstarter, didn't it?

I like this new business model!

1. Raise a few million in a kickstarter.
2. ???
3. Profit by selling company to speculative buyer.

There is no Step 2!

20. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2014, 18:39 Brataccas

Beamer wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 17:49:
Facebook bought Oculus?
Craziness!

Crap. In what universe does Facebook NOT screw this up?

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Mar 19, 2014, 23:15 Brataccas

PropheT wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 21:45:
I can't find a video, but all I could think of when I saw that is the old Adam West Batman movie where the Bat-copter gets shot down by the Riddler and they're lucky enough to crash land at a foam mattress convention.

40 seconds in....

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Mar 19, 2014, 14:52 Brataccas

Wolfox wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 14:35:
To be fair, beauty and fitness are culturally defined, not biologically.

Not really. We are biologically driven to prefer certain traits, mostly symmetry in structure, skin texture, and shape cues which indicate sexual maturity. This cuts across cultures and even species -- the research is pretty solid on that. Granted, weight preferences do change through time and across cultures.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 19, 2014, 13:13 Brataccas

Cutter wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 10:47:
10 point plan? How about 1 point. People getting off their asses and demand their elected reps stop it. That's all it takes.

Not gonna happen. Too many people convinced that this level of intrusion is necessary to keep us safe from the Bad Guys . As long as it's "someone else" that gets swept up by mistake, of course.

This comment was edited on Mar 19, 2014, 13:27.

News Comments > Morning Previews
4. Re: Morning Previews Mar 19, 2014, 12:51 Brataccas

Cutter wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 10:39:
Hard to believe Firefly was only 14 episodes. What a boneheaded move it was to cancel that.

Probably spurred on by too many complaints of kids possibly being subjected to a strong male role model...

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Mar 19, 2014, 12:40 Brataccas

"The boys Wiseman polled were not blind to the way these games perpetuate expected behaviors for boys who want to be perceived as strong—and some of them didn't like it."

*face palm*

No one is forcing kids to play games with a protagonist they don't identify with. And then there's the absurd insinuation -- if a boy enjoys playing a strong male role, it's only because they've been "conditioned" to do so, as if it were unnatural for boys to want to be tough and independent. I can see the next-gen RPG now - your task is to run around asking everyone in town for help beating up rats. Everyone knows that nothing satisfies the desire for a heroic story like playing a glorified quest-giver.

News Comments > Paradox Interactive to Distribute Pillars of Eternity
7. Re: Paradox Interactive to Distribute Pillars of Eternity Mar 19, 2014, 12:08 Brataccas

Cutter wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 10:27:
I like Paradox too, but I'm opposed to this in principle because part of their whole rant about crowdsourcing to begin with was to avoid publishers. So we take the risk and Paradox gets to profit without taking any? Well in that case I'm changing my perspective from pre-purchasing an item to an investment in Obsidian in which I demand an ROI on said investment.

I understand your point, but I don't think it really needs to change a backer's perspective. I've always considered myself an investor in any kickstarter, just like any other business I invest in. The ROI for backing Pillars is getting a game worth more to me than the total sum invested. If partnering with Paradox allows Obsidian to produce an even better game with no additional cost to me, then that makes me even happier as an investor. And Paradox isn't entirely without risk here, they have to sink money into marketing and fulfillment preparations based on future projections. That's all upfront costs for them...

This comment was edited on Mar 19, 2014, 12:44.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
19. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 3, 2014, 01:10 Brataccas

I bought a refurbished HP LaserJet 4p in June of 1994. I still use the damn thing nearly every day. Sure, it requires a parallel-to-usb cable to work properly, but I have it hooked up through my router and shared out to the entire family. We go through probably a ream of paper every two months tops. My wife and I far prefer reading anything longer than a few pages of material on paper -- can't stand ebooks and electronic documents/magazines. Simply easier and more enjoyable to mark things up with highlighters, margin notes, stickies, etc while sitting out on the couch or browsing outdoors. Electronic text is for skimming, paper is for deep reading and analysis.  

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Feb 21, 2014, 22:17 Brataccas

Out of Hell mod maybe?  

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Slowed by Cash
20. Re: Pillars of Eternity Slowed by Cash Feb 8, 2014, 15:30 Brataccas

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 8, 2014, 12:37:
Ideally, every stretch goal should also have an good faith estimate of how much additional time needed. Kickstarter would have to enforce it, otherwise devs wouldn't want to tell you for another 100K, this feature and 6 months...

I'd like to see something like this happen with future Kickstarters - it would certainly help clarify commitments and expectations on both sides. That being said, I hope they take all the time they need to get this right.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $38M
15. Re: Star Citizen Passes $38M Feb 5, 2014, 23:09 Brataccas

Phasenoise wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 22:21:
At some point, they do need to make a game.

They did, it's called "Fundraiser Construction Set".

You just plug in a few parameters like name, genre, producer and then watch money flow in while you attempt to manage expectations. It even offers continuous in-game purchases of more hopes and dreams to keep your excitement from flagging. So far it looks like it could be the next Candy Crush phenom...

News Comments > Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Collector's Edition Detailed
5. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Collector's Edition Detailed Jan 30, 2014, 02:43 Brataccas

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...well I'll just give this one a good long wait before I even think about picking it up, and certainly only if it's on sale.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2014, 17:52 Brataccas

Quboid wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 17:25:
Creston wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 16:47:
Quboid wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 15:44:
I'll have to take you guys' words for it. To me, a sandwich is some dead chicken between two pieces of bread.

To clarify, I do believe you are from the UK, correct?

Yes, although I will claim to be Irish if it's convenient. Are you questioning the sandwich making pedigree of the British?

After all, they did invent the British Rail sandwich...

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2014, 13:37 Brataccas

I think you meant to say Reuben. A Monte Cristo is something completely different. (It's essentially a ham and cheese sandwich that has been battered and fried, usually served with raspberry preserves - the Monte Cristo has also been cited as proof of the existence of God and that he does indeed love us).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reuben_Sandwich

This comment was edited on Jan 23, 2014, 13:48.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 20, 2013, 14:35 Brataccas

I've been running bootcamp on seven different macs since OS X Leopard and I've never had a problem with the supplied Windows drivers. This includes two Mac Pros, two iMacs, two laptops, and a Mac mini. Yes, the default drivers are often out-of-date, but they have always worked well enough to bootstrap the system to the point where I can then update to the latest graphics/sound/networking drivers from the respective vendors. The only downside I've encountered is the severe lack of graphics card upgrade options -- and those few options are generally quite pricey.  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Passes
48. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Passes Mar 14, 2012, 02:08 Brataccas

elefunk wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 23:41:
Er, no, you didn't call it. The game has been out for roughly 3 months now, and it's in fact continually *gained* paid subscribers.

Mmmhmm. The server population trend numbers don't support you.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Passes
36. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Passes Mar 13, 2012, 21:03 Brataccas

Brataccas wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 16:48:
(...) I suspect subscriber numbers will drop precipitously around the three month mark.

Did I call it or did I call it?

34 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo