Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for David Jensen

Real Name David Jensen   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jensen
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 8, 2005, 17:47
Total Comments 347 (Amateur)
User ID 23609

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
26. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 20, 2014, 18:39 Jensen

Quboid wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 18:10:
If one of either a 1080p model for $250 or a 1440p model for $350 was to be released, although I personally would pay more for the higher resolution I would rather they chose the cheaper model.
They've said before that getting the best components available is more important to them than hitting a target price, such as $300. So I think they'd buy a 1440 screen for $150 instead of a 1080 screen for $100.

It's not like there is much of a choice when you have to buy several hundred thousand of something. There's not going to be a huge premium on any product available to purchase in huge quantities.

*baseless speculation*
And who knows what the manufacturing is like? Maybe Samsung wanted a 1440p display for their s5 phone, but wasn't able to get to the point where they could make tens of millions of displays in time to meet s5 demand, so they can sell screens to Oculus for now.

This comment was edited on Mar 20, 2014, 23:08.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Unreal 4 Engine Released; $19/Month Licensing
5. Re: Unreal 4 Engine Released; $19/Month Licensing Mar 19, 2014, 19:42 Jensen

Frijoles wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 19:33:
Beamer wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 19:29:
$19 per plus 5% for full source code?
That's better than UDK in some ways, as you get full source code, but less good in that, with UDK, you could work for months without paying anything.

Yeah, I'm wondering if the free option is still there just to learn it. I've never even looked at it. I wouldn't mind playing with it, but not for $20 since I'll have no idea what I'm doing and won't be making anything worthwhile. I can stick with Unity for just screwing around.
You don't lose access to the software if you stop paying, you just stop getting updates. So you could just pay $19 once, and only pay again if you actually need to build something.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
8. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 12, 2014, 06:20 Jensen

jdreyer wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 21:28:
CrimsonPaw wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 20:34:
'Flappy Bird' creator says he's considering bringing his game back
Because I'm worried about it becoming too popular, I'm going to be charging 9.99 for it.

Or maybe he's missing the $50K per day he was making in ad revenue. Which is like $250K a day in his native Vietnam.
He's still making ad revenue from the game. I kinda liked the game, though I pretty much stopped playing once I got a score over 200.

News Comments > Valve Reddit Interview
19. Re: Valve Reddit Interview Mar 5, 2014, 23:55 Jensen

Sepharo wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 21:56:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 18:13:
Well we know Valve has been working on Source 2. So I would think they will build their flagship game to showcase the new engine. I hope it's as revolutionary as Source was when it finally got showcased. I still remember the jaw dropping abilities of Source when it was shown way back in 04.

They call the next major upgrade of the Source engine Source 2. When you play L4D2 or Portal 2 you're playing on an engine that at one time was branched/referred to as Source 2.
No.

"Is it more than just an extension to Source? Like, is it an entirely new engine?"
"Yeah," Newell said.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
33. Re: Sunday Mobilization Feb 9, 2014, 22:10 Jensen

NewMaxx wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 20:15:
Orogogus wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 13:35:
I don't know about dollar success, but I think Angry Birds is more analogous ... But Angry Birds and Flappy Bird are two games I wouldn't have guessed would almost immediately rake in more money than I'll ever see in my life. Are there a ton of people with a gene that makes bird games irresistible

Except for the fact that Angry Birds is a well-designed game. It has pleasing graphics, decent performance, great audio, a fantastic difficulty curve, and in general fits the mold of what a mobile game should be. Flappy Bird rips off not only an entire game concept from Helicopter but also rips off artwork from Super Mario Bros. There's no comparison. One is a new idea done well, another is an old idea that only got popular because people are ADHD-riddled and generally incapable of gauging their self-value outside of a repetitively pointless activity.

Angry Birds obviously had a lot more work put into it than Flappy Bird, but I'd rather play the latter.
Angry Birds is too luck based to be interesting to me.

Also Flappy Birds doesn't have interstitial ads, a currency system, arbitrary daily goals, please rate my app pop-ups, waiting periods and all the other things that make me despise so many mobile games.

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 2014, 22:16.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
32. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 9, 2014, 00:35 Jensen

I enjoy 3D movies. The last five movies I saw at the theater were 3D. Pacific Rim, The Hobbit, Gravity, Frozen, The Lego Movie.
I don't care for 3D done in post, though. In Pacific Rim, it looked like the rain was coming down in flat sheets.

I'd like to see fewer trailers shown before a movie. Just two or so would be great. With the Internet, trailers can be watched on demand, so there's little reason for me to waste time watching them at the theater.

I think 3D is here to stay, but proportion of movies available in 3D will probably be lower.

News Comments > Amnesia Fortnight Game Jam
5. Re: Amnesia Fortnight Game Jam Feb 6, 2014, 23:13 Jensen

And for all of the Double Fine Adventure haters out there:
They won't go over-budget
They'll finish on time
You can see their ideas before you pay money

News Comments > Amnesia Fortnight Game Jam
3. Re: Amnesia Fortnight Game Jam Feb 6, 2014, 22:44 Jensen

Cutter wrote on Feb 6, 2014, 21:17:
So you have to pay to have a say in what they should create? Are you effin' kiddin' me? And people are stupid enough to actually do this?
You also get the prototype games.
I paid a few bucks the last time they did this, and I enjoyed watching the live streams and playing the prototypes. You don't have to pay to watch the streams, though.

News Comments > EVE: Valkyrie an Oculus Rift Exclusive Launch Title
12. Re: EVE: Valkyrie an Oculus Rift Exclusive Launch Title Feb 6, 2014, 03:07 Jensen

Cutter wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 22:24:
Quboid wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 20:53:
I could never get used to Track-IR, I think largely because of the high sensitivity. I want 1:1 sensitivity.

I'd like know when the Oculus Rift will be available. This year?

No one knows. And the way they keep adding and changing things it doesn't seem like it'll be anytime soon.
The things they've added recently are pretty much essentials for a good VR experience. Many people who would get motion sickness with the development kit in 30 seconds do just fine with extended sessions with the Crystal Cove or Valve's prototype.
I'm guessing that they've pretty much got it where they want it now when it comes to technology.
Developing a wearable device will always be harder because it needs to work with a wide variety of head shapes and IPDs (interpupillary distance.)
They also need to get it to work with glasses and/or have adjustable focus.

News Comments > PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales
18. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 2, 2014, 15:51 Jensen

Minecraft sold about 800k copies at $13, 3.5m at $20, and the rest at $27.

It looks like the first 20k copies may have been about $7.

The only "sale" they've had on the game is "two for the price of one" for a couple of days around Notch's wedding day.

News Comments > QuakeCon 2014 in July
2. Re: QuakeCon 2014 in July Jan 30, 2014, 20:20 Jensen

BobBob wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 19:48:
Carmack is gone. What's the point?
He tweeted this today:
I have offered to give my traditional talk at Quakecon, we'll see if it is accepted.

12. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 27, 2014, 01:58 Jensen

The 4k/8k phone thing must be about outputting to an external display? I would be cool if I could plug in my phone to a 40" 8k multitouch digital drafting table.  

11. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 27, 2014, 00:35 Jensen

2560x1440 may help a bit for the bigger phones/phablets.

I wouldn't mind a 4k iPad, but that's mostly because I'm nearsighted so I have to hold my iPad quite close when my contacts are out.

VR headsets would benefit from a 20k display, so I won't complain about the resolution of phones being too high :-)

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Voice Cast
25. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Voice Cast Jan 24, 2014, 03:41 Jensen

Cutter wrote on Jan 24, 2014, 02:14:
Hell, not only would most do it for scale. There's probably no shortage of people who'd do it for lunch and busfare.
Heck, one of my favorite voice actors in Broken Age paid Double Fine a lot of money to be in the game!

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
6. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 20, 2014, 20:26 Jensen

Mario wouldn't work, just because of controls. The only games I can think of that would work well on a smartphone are Animal Crossing and Pokemon. Both of those are 3DS system sellers, especially Pokemon.

Even original DS games, with their touch-screen mechanics, wouldn't port well because they are mostly made for stylus control.

News Comments > Michael Abrash's VR Talk Slides
10. Re: Michael Abrash's VR Talk Slides Jan 20, 2014, 10:28 Jensen

The problem is that performance issues will lead to motion sickness.  

8. Re: Michael Abrash's VR Talk Slides Jan 20, 2014, 02:35 Jensen

Tom wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 00:15:
Jensen wrote on Jan 19, 2014, 22:58:
VR seems more suited for a console, where developers have a common target and can guarantee good performance. Maybe that's where Steam Machines could be useful?

I don't know about Steam Machines, and those are good "nice to have" things, but consoles fail on two critical fronts: raw horsepower and relatively unbounded innovation. All things considered, the PC thoroughly trounces consoles right now as the best platform for VR. And I don't see this changing in this latest generation of consoles. Maybe it will with the next gen in another couple of years, depending on how things go on the PC.

I wasn't necessarily talking about current consoles, just a more standardized platform. Apple is often successful at launching/popularizing new product categories because they have complete control of your experience from input to output, software and hardware. Their iOS devices still have lower touch-to-photons latency than any Android device. Valve and Oculus often talk about how important low latency is.

Maybe they could create some kind of certification program?
I'd like an Oculus certified workstation that I know could run all Oculus certified VR programs at 90 Hz with 20ms latency.

It would suck if VR were passed off as a fad because people were having subpar experiences because of subpar PC's.

This comment was edited on Jan 20, 2014, 02:45.

6. Re: Michael Abrash's VR Talk Slides Jan 19, 2014, 22:58 Jensen

DangerDog wrote on Jan 19, 2014, 14:04:
All that while trying to keep the price down too.

This is going to be a niche product for the ultra hardcore users for quite a long time from the sounds of it. The experience might be immersive but I'll probably stick to using 1440p or higher res display with head tracking for games that support it.

The Rift itself will probably cost less than the new consoles or an iPad. The biggest problem I see is that you need a quite beefy computer to get consistent performance, so the total cost of ownership will be quite high if you don't already have a gaming machine.

VR seems more suited for a console, where developers have a common target and can guarantee good performance. Maybe that's where Steam Machines could be useful?

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 16, 2014, 00:16 Jensen

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 22:20:
DAMN! Does he REALLY need glasses when his monitor is 3 feet away and 60 inches? geeeeeeeezus!

GabeNewellBellevue[S] 109 points 6 hours ago
It's a Pioneer 42" Elite. I got it when I was going blind from Fuch's, and just stuck with it afterwards.

[]secretlySomeoneElse 25 points 6 hours ago
He has dead people eyes now.
Like... Eyes from actual dead people.

[]Opset 21 points 6 hours ago
Wait.
What?
Really?

[]GabeNewellBellevue[S] 91 points 5 hours ago
Yes. Fuch's is a congenital disease that affects the epithelial tissue of corneas, leading to blisters, blindness, etc... I was treated with corneal transplants.

News Comments > Broken Age Part 1 For Backers Next Week
19. Re: Broken Age Part 1 For Backers Next Week Jan 12, 2014, 02:51 Jensen

wtf_man wrote on Jan 11, 2014, 22:12:
Yes, when he had no choice, since he ran out of money in the first place. He only put in his money, to flog a half-game to try to raise enough to finish it.
Based on the first few months of work, they projected that they would run out of backer money if they continued at the quality level they were aiming for.
So they had two choices:

1. Significantly cut back on the length of the game and make the art simpler.
2. Only make small cuts, keep the high quality artwork. Use company profits to fund the game.

They chose the second option instead of the first one, but they weren't forced to.

They announced the January release date 7 months ago, so it looks like they were able to stick to their revised schedules.

347 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo