Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for David Jensen

Real Name David Jensen   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jensen
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 8, 2005, 17:47
Total Comments 314 (Amateur)
User ID 23609

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Voice Cast
25. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Voice Cast Jan 24, 2014, 03:41 Jensen

Cutter wrote on Jan 24, 2014, 02:14:
Hell, not only would most do it for scale. There's probably no shortage of people who'd do it for lunch and busfare.
Heck, one of my favorite voice actors in Broken Age paid Double Fine a lot of money to be in the game!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
6. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 20, 2014, 20:26 Jensen

Mario wouldn't work, just because of controls. The only games I can think of that would work well on a smartphone are Animal Crossing and Pokemon. Both of those are 3DS system sellers, especially Pokemon.

Even original DS games, with their touch-screen mechanics, wouldn't port well because they are mostly made for stylus control.

News Comments > Michael Abrash's VR Talk Slides
10. Re: Michael Abrash's VR Talk Slides Jan 20, 2014, 10:28 Jensen

The problem is that performance issues will lead to motion sickness.  

8. Re: Michael Abrash's VR Talk Slides Jan 20, 2014, 02:35 Jensen

Tom wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 00:15:
Jensen wrote on Jan 19, 2014, 22:58:
VR seems more suited for a console, where developers have a common target and can guarantee good performance. Maybe that's where Steam Machines could be useful?

I don't know about Steam Machines, and those are good "nice to have" things, but consoles fail on two critical fronts: raw horsepower and relatively unbounded innovation. All things considered, the PC thoroughly trounces consoles right now as the best platform for VR. And I don't see this changing in this latest generation of consoles. Maybe it will with the next gen in another couple of years, depending on how things go on the PC.

I wasn't necessarily talking about current consoles, just a more standardized platform. Apple is often successful at launching/popularizing new product categories because they have complete control of your experience from input to output, software and hardware. Their iOS devices still have lower touch-to-photons latency than any Android device. Valve and Oculus often talk about how important low latency is.

Maybe they could create some kind of certification program?
I'd like an Oculus certified workstation that I know could run all Oculus certified VR programs at 90 Hz with 20ms latency.

It would suck if VR were passed off as a fad because people were having subpar experiences because of subpar PC's.

This comment was edited on Jan 20, 2014, 02:45.

6. Re: Michael Abrash's VR Talk Slides Jan 19, 2014, 22:58 Jensen

DangerDog wrote on Jan 19, 2014, 14:04:
All that while trying to keep the price down too.

This is going to be a niche product for the ultra hardcore users for quite a long time from the sounds of it. The experience might be immersive but I'll probably stick to using 1440p or higher res display with head tracking for games that support it.

The Rift itself will probably cost less than the new consoles or an iPad. The biggest problem I see is that you need a quite beefy computer to get consistent performance, so the total cost of ownership will be quite high if you don't already have a gaming machine.

VR seems more suited for a console, where developers have a common target and can guarantee good performance. Maybe that's where Steam Machines could be useful?

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 16, 2014, 00:16 Jensen

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 22:20:
DAMN! Does he REALLY need glasses when his monitor is 3 feet away and 60 inches? geeeeeeeezus!

GabeNewellBellevue[S] 109 points 6 hours ago
It's a Pioneer 42" Elite. I got it when I was going blind from Fuch's, and just stuck with it afterwards.

[]secretlySomeoneElse 25 points 6 hours ago
He has dead people eyes now.
Like... Eyes from actual dead people.

[]Opset 21 points 6 hours ago
Wait.
What?
Really?

[]GabeNewellBellevue[S] 91 points 5 hours ago
Yes. Fuch's is a congenital disease that affects the epithelial tissue of corneas, leading to blisters, blindness, etc... I was treated with corneal transplants.

News Comments > Broken Age Part 1 For Backers Next Week
19. Re: Broken Age Part 1 For Backers Next Week Jan 12, 2014, 02:51 Jensen

wtf_man wrote on Jan 11, 2014, 22:12:
Yes, when he had no choice, since he ran out of money in the first place. He only put in his money, to flog a half-game to try to raise enough to finish it.
Based on the first few months of work, they projected that they would run out of backer money if they continued at the quality level they were aiming for.
So they had two choices:

1. Significantly cut back on the length of the game and make the art simpler.
2. Only make small cuts, keep the high quality artwork. Use company profits to fund the game.

They chose the second option instead of the first one, but they weren't forced to.

They announced the January release date 7 months ago, so it looks like they were able to stick to their revised schedules.

17. Re: Broken Age Part 1 For Backers Next Week Jan 11, 2014, 16:56 Jensen

Partially self-funding a game is mismanagement?  

11. Re: Broken Age Part 1 For Backers Next Week Jan 11, 2014, 04:26 Jensen

Not doing pre-production before launching the Kickstarter was a gimmick for this project specifically. They wanted to show backers the full process of making a game. Most Kickstarter projects shouldn't be like that, but it was fun as a one-off.

I realize that wtf-man was referring to the cash given by backers.
I just don't care. Double Fine has been continuously paying a team of employees to work on the project and it's coming out soon.

If they had put the project on hold for several months (or indefinitely like Clang) because they had completely depleted all sources of funding, I'd understand the "mismanagement" claims.

9. Re: Broken Age Part 1 For Backers Next Week Jan 11, 2014, 02:03 Jensen

I don't recall the Broken Age project ever running out of cash. Maybe you're thinking of Clang?  

News Comments > BBC: Valve VR SDK Next Week
15. Re: BBC: Valve VR SDK Next Week Jan 9, 2014, 17:33 Jensen

Creston wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 11:25:
So yeah, he's trying to tie all VR sets into Steam, so in essence Valve gets to decide what becomes standard and what doesn't, and so make sure that their own VR device will be able to compete.

I don't think they care about their own hardware that much. Valve (Michael Abrash) has provided assistance to Oculus. The Steam controller is the only hardware they've said that they'll ship themselves, but they've said they don't care if other manufacturers use other designs.

News Comments > Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking
58. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 17:21 Jensen

Quboid wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 15:59:
Jensen wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 14:09:
InBlack wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 08:16:
Do the games really have to run at 60 FPS per eye for the Virtual Reality 'trick' to kick in?
Yes, if you don't want the image to smear as you're moving. And it will most likely be 90fps.

See how blurry this moving image is?
http://www.testufo.com/#test=photo&photo=quebec.jpg&pps=960&pursuit=0
On a low persistence display, this image is just as sharp when it is moving as it it when it is still. That means you'll get a double image whenever you miss a frame.

That's refresh rate, not frame rate. If the display could output at 240hz but was only getting 60 FPS, it could repeat each frame 4 times. That's not perfect, but it wouldn't look blurry.

I think? I'm not 100% sure so this is more of a question than a disagreement.
When your eye is tracking an image moving at 960 pixels/second, and the screen displays each frame for 16.7ms, the motion of your eyes adds 16 pixels of blur. With a low-persistence display, each frame is only shown for something like 1ms, and there is darkness until the next refresh. In this case, your eyes only add 1 pixel of motion blur. If the same image is shown twice on a low persistence display because of a low framerate, you'll get a double image. On a full-persistence display, you just get a longer blur.

Blur is caused by the duration that each frame is shown, not the refresh rate.

Here's a really good blog about it from Michael Abrash:
http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/abrash/

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2014, 17:27.

56. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 14:09 Jensen

InBlack wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 08:16:
Do the games really have to run at 60 FPS per eye for the Virtual Reality 'trick' to kick in?
Yes, if you don't want the image to smear as you're moving. And it will most likely be 90fps.

See how blurry this moving image is?
http://www.testufo.com/#test=photo&photo=quebec.jpg&pps=960&pursuit=0
On a low persistence display, this image is just as sharp when it is moving as it it when it is still. That means you'll get a double image whenever you miss a frame.

55. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 13:53 Jensen

JoeNapalm wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 10:45:
Jensen wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 02:34:
DangerDog wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 02:11:
From what I've read you get vision fatigue from focusing on the screen so close to your eyes, removing the rift can take quite a while to recover normal vision.
You're focusing at infinity, so it doesn't matter how physically close the screen is to your eyes. There can be an issue if you're constantly looking at things that are close to you in the simulated environment, though.

This is the arguement Oculus makes, but I'm not buying it.

Your eyes are focusing on something right in front of your face. Whether that image represents infinity or duckies or bunnies or what not is up to your brain to interpret - it is not going to prevent eye strain to the physical parts of your eye that are focusing on the screen 4" from your eyeball.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist
The rift refocuses the light using lenses, just like glasses. As far as your eyes are concerned, the rift screen really is infinitely far away.

40. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 06:30 Jensen

Quboid wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 05:45:
If it's pushing 4K at 60 FPS, that's a hell of a load on present day systems: 500 million pixel updates a second. 4K won't be perfect either so antialiasing could be important ... will there be any GPU power left to render SSAO, tessellation, particles and such like?
I've been reading up on the tech a bit tonight, and it looks like the version they're showing at CES is running at 90hz. 60hz isn't enough for low-persistence displays.

35. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 03:47 Jensen

InBlack wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 03:20:
entr0py wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 01:43:
Ah, he side stepped the only thing I care about, resolution. I don't care about how organic and decomposable the display is. I only care that it doesn't look like SVGA graphics from 20 years ago.

This is indeed the biggest issue. The native resolution has to be at least 1080p, anything else and playing sims with this gear will be impossible. Well not impossible, but fucked up all the same. If I cant read the gauges in my cockpit or see the bogey out of my cockpit I might as well be flying blindfolded...
They've already confirmed that the consumer display will be at least 1080P. That will still seem very pixelated in a Rift. 1440P phone screens should be coming this year, and Samsung has said that they are working on a 4k phone display for 2015.

31. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 02:34 Jensen

DangerDog wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 02:11:
From what I've read you get vision fatigue from focusing on the screen so close to your eyes, removing the rift can take quite a while to recover normal vision.
You're focusing at infinity, so it doesn't matter how physically close the screen is to your eyes. There can be an issue if you're constantly looking at things that are close to you in the simulated environment, though.

8. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 7, 2014, 21:00 Jensen

Creston wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 20:53:
So what's the benefit of positional tracking? What does that do in this case?
If you lean to the side to see around a corner, or lean forward to peer at something, the view will actually change. The view inside the Rift much more closely follows your actual movements, so there will be less motion sickness.

7. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 7, 2014, 20:56 Jensen

I'm glad they were able to add positional tracking and implement a low persistence display on this prototype.

I think the Rift could have widespread appeal, just like the Wii, except there's one thing holding it back: the price. Not the price of the unit itself, which will be close to what the Wii was, but the total cost of ownership. This thing will take a quite powerful machine to run it, especially with the new low-persistence display. You have to be able to render the game V-Synced at 120 FPS and 1920*1080, with some overhead for the warping time. Dropped frames are much more noticeable on low-persistence displays, and probably even worse with VR.

2. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 7, 2014, 20:40 Jensen

Tom wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 20:17:
OMG drooooolllll..... I never would have expected these characteristics from OLED based on the OLED screens I've seen to date.
Most consumer OLED products, such as the the Vita, display each image for several milliseconds, so you get what's called sample-and-hold blur. The one in this new prototype is more like a CRT, only lighting the pixel for a millisecond. But that also means you have to have a higher refresh rate and framerate to avoid flickering, just like a CRT.

314 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo