Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for David Jensen

Real Name David Jensen   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jensen
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 8, 2005, 17:47
Total Comments 320 (Amateur)
User ID 23609

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > From Dust DRM to Change
5. Re: From Dust DRM to Change Aug 22, 2011, 21:26 Jensen

Valve should use their clout and deny games that don't work in offline mode from being on Steam. (except games that are only online multi-player)

Then later take that further and not allow activation limits.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gabe Newell on EA vs. Steam
40. Re: Gabe Newell on EA vs. Steam Aug 18, 2011, 03:08 Jensen

commonperson wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 23:42:
Because Valve are the one who are getting the money when they are basically doing nothing other than offering a download portal....They are basically a Video Game Wallmart.
Steam is a service, not just a download store. It manages downloads, installation, patches/updates, CD(?)-keys, provides a community infrastructure, etc. All with one account.

They only want games on their service that they can fully support, because their customers expect all the things I listed above.

News Comments > No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout
26. Re: No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout Aug 15, 2011, 03:08 Jensen

Crustacean Soup wrote on Aug 15, 2011, 02:55:
There's also a lot of servers with "LOL" and "very short" tracks, which is a phenomena that's completely beyond me.
LOL tracks remind me of Angry Birds. Launch off at a somewhat random angle and hope for the best. I guess a lot of people like luck based games.

20. Re: No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout Aug 15, 2011, 00:49 Jensen

They've already said that LANs won't require an internet connection.  

17. Re: No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout Aug 14, 2011, 23:52 Jensen

I don't use other game clients besides Steam, but I'll occasionally download directly from the developer.

Nadeo isn't trying to make ManiaPlanet a Steam competitor. It just doesn't easily fit with Steam as it is now. They want a tight integration of their Mania games and a community platform. Trackmania relies on its creative community more than any other game I've played.

News Comments > John Carmack on Unlimited Detail and More
23. Re: John Carmack on Unlimited Detail and More Aug 14, 2011, 04:49 Jensen

Crustacean Soup wrote on Aug 14, 2011, 03:11:
Enlighten is fast enough for current-gen consoles.
Sorry, I didn't post that correctly. It isn't fast enough for real time usage in BF3 for the consoles.

wolfire blog
"The PC version of the game will use this technology in the game itself to change the indirect lighting in response to destroyed walls, but the XBOX and PS3 ports will just use it to bake static indirect lighting"

18. Re: John Carmack on Unlimited Detail and More Aug 14, 2011, 01:40 Jensen

Crustacean Soup wrote on Aug 14, 2011, 00:27:
But now there's Geomerics' Enlighten, the thing being used by BF3 for real-time radiosity. So you can have your dynamic lighting, and your indirect lighting.
There's a speed and quality trade-off there. It's not fast enough to run on the consoles. It's not as high quality as Mirror's Edge. Dynamic objects don't contribute to the indirect lighting.

Doom 3 was released 7 years ago. Computers are quite a bit faster now.

Enlighten is an impressive technology, though. The algorithm may be fast enough that the trade-offs are minor for most practical uses.

11. Re: John Carmack on Unlimited Detail and More Aug 13, 2011, 21:46 Jensen

Creston wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 21:13:
I remember Outcast not really selling well because it was a voxel game that wouldn't use 3D cards, right after everyone and their grandma bought a 3D card for Quake 2.
3D video cards are a lot more flexible than they used to be. I don't know if they are considered voxel engines, but there are some accelerated 3D fractal viewers that show an immense amount of detail without using polygons .

10. Re: John Carmack on Unlimited Detail and More Aug 13, 2011, 21:38 Jensen

All engines have trade-offs.
ID Tech 4 has unified dynamic lighting. That allows for everything to be dynamic. But that doesn't work well with more realistic pre-computed lighting that takes into account indirect lighting. That caused the absolute black shadows.

On the other end of the spectrum is a game like Mirror's Edge, that has nice looking pre-computed lighting with indirect lighting and color bleed. But it means that the lights and geometry had to be quite static.

Who knows the trade-offs are with Euclideon engine approach? Maybe the things that were written off as just not spending much time making the demo were actually real deficiencies with the engine.

News Comments > No Always On DRM for TrackMania 2
5. Re: No Always On DRM for TrackMania 2 Aug 13, 2011, 01:05 Jensen

TrackMania is primarily an online game, so a pirated copy wouldn't get the full experience. I don't think you'll be able to play on most servers without a real account.  

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced
46. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 22:03 Jensen

Did you see the leaked screenshot?
http://i.imgur.com/PMAqD.jpg

News Comments > More on Euclideon's "Unlimited Detail" Engine
15. Re: More on Euclideon's Aug 11, 2011, 03:14 Jensen

Anyone can see that there are a lot of instances of a small number of highly detailed objects. Why didn't they at least put the instances on a procedural generated organic terrain instead of putting it on a grid that's blockier than Minecraft?  

News Comments > More on Euclideon's "Unlimited Detail" Engine
13. Re: More on Euclideon's Aug 11, 2011, 01:06 Jensen

I can already get uber-detailed 3D graphics in a web browser:
fratal.io
Unfortunately, the demo was recently taken down after several months online.

News Comments > TrackMania 2 Beta Next Week, Preorders Get Access
4. Re: TrackMania 2 Beta Next Week, Preorders Get Access Aug 11, 2011, 00:48 Jensen

Mostly Google translated from French:
Cool But worried! The release, DRM or not?

or not ^ _ ^

It will still be connected to the individual campaign, which features new functions in a network, but the elements have no reason to be connected are still available offline, such as editors, LAN, splitscreen or Hotseat mode.

I'm not that interested in playing trackmania offline anyways. All the good content is online.

I don't know about the new environment. The only one I really like so far is the free one, Stadium. But, I've probably spent more time in Trackmania than any other game ever, so I don't mind Nadeo getting some of my money even if it doesn't match Stadium for me

News Comments > Bethesda Sues Mojang Over Scrolls TM
22. Re: Bethesda Sues Mojang Over Scrolls TM Aug 6, 2011, 15:42 Jensen

Did Blizzard Activision have to sue Mojang over the name Minecraft?

Though I suppose if Mojang had tried to trademark the word craft, it would be a different story.

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 14:14:
Thats exactly what is happening, you have to sue over ANY trademark overlap, any, all, always. It was pretty stupid to call the game Scrolls and trademark that, clear overlap with Elder Scrolls (what if notch calls his game Scrolls - The Elder ?)

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Collector’s Edition Details
13. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Collector’s Edition Details Aug 5, 2011, 21:28 Jensen

Funny way to report the Scrolls story :-)

Activision Blizzard didn't see the need to sue Mojang over the name of one of their other games, and they probably would have had a better case.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 28, 2011, 23:49 Jensen

Beamer wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 16:37:
[misquote] Nintendo would need to...partner with...Sony [/misquote].
Didn't they already try that?

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
25. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 15, 2011, 21:07 Jensen

I may switch off between streaming and DVD/Blu-Ray, if I can still maintain a DVD queue while on streaming only.

I still think Netflix is a much better deal than anything else out there. I love that advertising is almost non-existent (besides hard to skip DVD trailers and product placement).

The goal of this deal is to cut back on DVD shipments.

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2011, 22:15.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2011, 11:57 Jensen

I could see why they wouldn't want to sell Terraria for $2.50.

It has been consistently selling over 10,000 copies a day and doesn't need a sale to help it. (not exactly sure about the numbers, but based on the first month of sales, the sales charts, and Minecraft's consistently high sales, it seems to be a reasonable guess)

This comment was edited on Jul 10, 2011, 12:02.

News Comments > New Minecraft Beta
2. Re: New Minecraft Beta Jul 1, 2011, 01:19 Jensen

I want a long spool of string that I unwind as I explore caves so I can find my way back out.  

320 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo