Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for David Jensen

Real Name David Jensen   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jensen
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 8, 2005, 17:47
Total Comments 332 (Amateur)
User ID 23609

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

News Comments > MineCon 2011 Sold Out
15. Re: MineCon 2011 Sold Out Oct 30, 2011, 02:51 Jensen

They claim they are losing money on it.
Just getting wifi for it will cost $50,000

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mojang Wins Scrolls Injunction
18. Re: Mojang Wins Scrolls Injunction Oct 18, 2011, 22:05 Jensen

ELITE wrote on Oct 18, 2011, 13:21:
I just want him to Tweet a running tab of how much money he's blowing on a shitty name.
Minecraft pulls in at least $175,000 a day ($250,000 a day on weekends)
I don't think Mojang is hurting for money.

News Comments > Humble Bundle Makes $1M
10. Re: Humble Bundle Makes $1M Oct 11, 2011, 23:37 Jensen

Not as many games in the main bundle, but they are both good games.

I think SpaceChem should have been included from the start, though. Does the developer not profit from the first week of sales?

News Comments > Notch: Mojang Offered "To Give Up the Trademark" for Scrolls
38. Re: Notch: Mojang Offered Oct 4, 2011, 21:08 Jensen

WaltC wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 10:25:
I expect that he has no intention of being dragged into court but will remove the word "scrolls" from his game title before it ships.

I'm sure that's why he paid who-knows-how-much for the scrolls.com domain.

News Comments > Scrolls Case Headed to Court
24. Re: Scrolls Case Headed to Court Sep 27, 2011, 22:02 Jensen

Beamer wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 19:57:
It's more like Notch releasing a soda and calling it Cola.

It's more like Notch releasing a game and calling it Cola.

News Comments > Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games
57. Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Sep 19, 2011, 23:46 Jensen

According to a disproportional Venn diagram I saw, half of Netflix customers subscribe to both services. So this is a massive downgrade in service for half of their customers after a large price increase.

I think the new price is fair, and still much cheaper than any other option, but I don't understand the website downgrades.

Hopefully DVDs will die fast enough that streaming services will have coverage of video content like Spotify has for music content.

One of my favorite things about Netflix is that they don't have any ads, except the flap on the DVD mailer that just advertises new movies and streaming devices. It's nice in this age of YouTube overlaying ads on video content and having annoying audio ads in the margins.

News Comments > What's Next for Frictional?
10. Re: What's Next for Frictional? Sep 10, 2011, 03:47 Jensen

StingingVelvet wrote on Sep 10, 2011, 03:39:
I think the 400,000/75% in sales figure is less disappointing when you consider...
400K wasn't the developers estimate... they were expecting to sell far fewer copies. 400K was just a guess by a game journalist on how many copies they had sold up to that point in time.

No disappointment anywhere :-)

News Comments > What's Next for Frictional?
8. Re: RE: Follow up Sep 10, 2011, 03:38 Jensen

UConnBBall wrote on Sep 10, 2011, 00:39:
Team Meat who developed Team Meat Boy vows never to work with Microsoft again.
The article says that SMB sold twice as many copies on the PC as on XBLA. The average sale price is likely much higher on the XBLA, since it hasn't had any discounts on that platform, besides a 33% off launch sale.
I don't know how the revenue split compares between XBLA and Steam, but XBLA must be a significant portion of their total revenue.

News Comments > Steve Jobs Resigns
42. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 25, 2011, 00:01 Jensen

Isn't the Palm Pilot a copy of the Apple Newton?  

38. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 24, 2011, 23:31 Jensen

Kitkoan wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 23:00:
all while being unable to show where Apple was original.
Name a successful computer electronics device from another company that you consider to be original. I'm not sure what your criteria for originality are.

31. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 24, 2011, 21:59 Jensen

Kitkoan wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 21:40:
The claim I keep hearing that the iPad must be new and innovative because it runs off an OS that was made for touchscreens and the iOS powered iPad was the first one to do it, then Android. But Android tablets were out for almost a full year before the iPad.
Apple was the first company to do it well. Just because another company can rush a crappy product to the market first doesn't mean Apple copied it. Apple was working on the iPad before the iPhone.

They've created a huge market for two new product categories recently, even if they weren't the very first ones to make a product in those categories. Even rumors of an Apple product can cause other companies to preemptively release a device.

This comment was edited on Aug 24, 2011, 22:06.

27. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 24, 2011, 21:36 Jensen

Kitkoan wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 21:33:
iPad was a copy of Android tablets from China made in 2009, ect...
That's just silly.
By your standards, there is nothing that isn't a copy of something else.

News Comments > From Dust DRM to Change
5. Re: From Dust DRM to Change Aug 22, 2011, 21:26 Jensen

Valve should use their clout and deny games that don't work in offline mode from being on Steam. (except games that are only online multi-player)

Then later take that further and not allow activation limits.

News Comments > Gabe Newell on EA vs. Steam
40. Re: Gabe Newell on EA vs. Steam Aug 18, 2011, 03:08 Jensen

commonperson wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 23:42:
Because Valve are the one who are getting the money when they are basically doing nothing other than offering a download portal....They are basically a Video Game Wallmart.
Steam is a service, not just a download store. It manages downloads, installation, patches/updates, CD(?)-keys, provides a community infrastructure, etc. All with one account.

They only want games on their service that they can fully support, because their customers expect all the things I listed above.

News Comments > No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout
26. Re: No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout Aug 15, 2011, 03:08 Jensen

Crustacean Soup wrote on Aug 15, 2011, 02:55:
There's also a lot of servers with "LOL" and "very short" tracks, which is a phenomena that's completely beyond me.
LOL tracks remind me of Angry Birds. Launch off at a somewhat random angle and hope for the best. I guess a lot of people like luck based games.

20. Re: No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout Aug 15, 2011, 00:49 Jensen

They've already said that LANs won't require an internet connection.  

17. Re: No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout Aug 14, 2011, 23:52 Jensen

I don't use other game clients besides Steam, but I'll occasionally download directly from the developer.

Nadeo isn't trying to make ManiaPlanet a Steam competitor. It just doesn't easily fit with Steam as it is now. They want a tight integration of their Mania games and a community platform. Trackmania relies on its creative community more than any other game I've played.

News Comments > John Carmack on Unlimited Detail and More
23. Re: John Carmack on Unlimited Detail and More Aug 14, 2011, 04:49 Jensen

Crustacean Soup wrote on Aug 14, 2011, 03:11:
Enlighten is fast enough for current-gen consoles.
Sorry, I didn't post that correctly. It isn't fast enough for real time usage in BF3 for the consoles.

wolfire blog
"The PC version of the game will use this technology in the game itself to change the indirect lighting in response to destroyed walls, but the XBOX and PS3 ports will just use it to bake static indirect lighting"

18. Re: John Carmack on Unlimited Detail and More Aug 14, 2011, 01:40 Jensen

Crustacean Soup wrote on Aug 14, 2011, 00:27:
But now there's Geomerics' Enlighten, the thing being used by BF3 for real-time radiosity. So you can have your dynamic lighting, and your indirect lighting.
There's a speed and quality trade-off there. It's not fast enough to run on the consoles. It's not as high quality as Mirror's Edge. Dynamic objects don't contribute to the indirect lighting.

Doom 3 was released 7 years ago. Computers are quite a bit faster now.

Enlighten is an impressive technology, though. The algorithm may be fast enough that the trade-offs are minor for most practical uses.

11. Re: John Carmack on Unlimited Detail and More Aug 13, 2011, 21:46 Jensen

Creston wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 21:13:
I remember Outcast not really selling well because it was a voxel game that wouldn't use 3D cards, right after everyone and their grandma bought a 3D card for Quake 2.
3D video cards are a lot more flexible than they used to be. I don't know if they are considered voxel engines, but there are some accelerated 3D fractal viewers that show an immense amount of detail without using polygons .

332 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo