Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for David Jensen

Real Name David Jensen   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jensen
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 8, 2005, 17:47
Total Comments 312 (Amateur)
User ID 23609

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > John Carmack on Unlimited Detail and More
10. Re: John Carmack on Unlimited Detail and More Aug 13, 2011, 21:38 Jensen

All engines have trade-offs.
ID Tech 4 has unified dynamic lighting. That allows for everything to be dynamic. But that doesn't work well with more realistic pre-computed lighting that takes into account indirect lighting. That caused the absolute black shadows.

On the other end of the spectrum is a game like Mirror's Edge, that has nice looking pre-computed lighting with indirect lighting and color bleed. But it means that the lights and geometry had to be quite static.

Who knows the trade-offs are with Euclideon engine approach? Maybe the things that were written off as just not spending much time making the demo were actually real deficiencies with the engine.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > No Always On DRM for TrackMania 2
5. Re: No Always On DRM for TrackMania 2 Aug 13, 2011, 01:05 Jensen

TrackMania is primarily an online game, so a pirated copy wouldn't get the full experience. I don't think you'll be able to play on most servers without a real account.  

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced
46. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 22:03 Jensen

Did you see the leaked screenshot?
http://i.imgur.com/PMAqD.jpg

News Comments > More on Euclideon's "Unlimited Detail" Engine
15. Re: More on Euclideon's Aug 11, 2011, 03:14 Jensen

Anyone can see that there are a lot of instances of a small number of highly detailed objects. Why didn't they at least put the instances on a procedural generated organic terrain instead of putting it on a grid that's blockier than Minecraft?  

News Comments > More on Euclideon's "Unlimited Detail" Engine
13. Re: More on Euclideon's Aug 11, 2011, 01:06 Jensen

I can already get uber-detailed 3D graphics in a web browser:
fratal.io
Unfortunately, the demo was recently taken down after several months online.

News Comments > TrackMania 2 Beta Next Week, Preorders Get Access
4. Re: TrackMania 2 Beta Next Week, Preorders Get Access Aug 11, 2011, 00:48 Jensen

Mostly Google translated from French:
Cool But worried! The release, DRM or not?

or not ^ _ ^

It will still be connected to the individual campaign, which features new functions in a network, but the elements have no reason to be connected are still available offline, such as editors, LAN, splitscreen or Hotseat mode.

I'm not that interested in playing trackmania offline anyways. All the good content is online.

I don't know about the new environment. The only one I really like so far is the free one, Stadium. But, I've probably spent more time in Trackmania than any other game ever, so I don't mind Nadeo getting some of my money even if it doesn't match Stadium for me

News Comments > Bethesda Sues Mojang Over Scrolls TM
22. Re: Bethesda Sues Mojang Over Scrolls TM Aug 6, 2011, 15:42 Jensen

Did Blizzard Activision have to sue Mojang over the name Minecraft?

Though I suppose if Mojang had tried to trademark the word craft, it would be a different story.

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 14:14:
Thats exactly what is happening, you have to sue over ANY trademark overlap, any, all, always. It was pretty stupid to call the game Scrolls and trademark that, clear overlap with Elder Scrolls (what if notch calls his game Scrolls - The Elder ?)

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Collector’s Edition Details
13. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Collector’s Edition Details Aug 5, 2011, 21:28 Jensen

Funny way to report the Scrolls story :-)

Activision Blizzard didn't see the need to sue Mojang over the name of one of their other games, and they probably would have had a better case.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 28, 2011, 23:49 Jensen

Beamer wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 16:37:
[misquote] Nintendo would need to...partner with...Sony [/misquote].
Didn't they already try that?

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
25. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 15, 2011, 21:07 Jensen

I may switch off between streaming and DVD/Blu-Ray, if I can still maintain a DVD queue while on streaming only.

I still think Netflix is a much better deal than anything else out there. I love that advertising is almost non-existent (besides hard to skip DVD trailers and product placement).

The goal of this deal is to cut back on DVD shipments.

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2011, 22:15.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2011, 11:57 Jensen

I could see why they wouldn't want to sell Terraria for $2.50.

It has been consistently selling over 10,000 copies a day and doesn't need a sale to help it. (not exactly sure about the numbers, but based on the first month of sales, the sales charts, and Minecraft's consistently high sales, it seems to be a reasonable guess)

This comment was edited on Jul 10, 2011, 12:02.

News Comments > New Minecraft Beta
2. Re: New Minecraft Beta Jul 1, 2011, 01:19 Jensen

I want a long spool of string that I unwind as I explore caves so I can find my way back out.  

News Comments > RAGE Trailer
7. Re: RAGE Trailer Jul 1, 2011, 00:45 Jensen

It's an ESRB thing.  

31. Re: Do I want 3D? Jun 29, 2011, 20:42 Jensen

If we're talking true 3D holograms that you can see "around" and such, then that would be cool for some select situations.

You can have something very similar to "true 3D holograms" for games. Just combine head tracking and stereoscopy. You can even do it glasses free.
Check out http://youtu.be/OOy-Dnr3xyU to see an example with 3D videoconferencing.

There is a simple reason 3D is more common in movies than console games: cost.
For consoles, the cost is GPU power. The xbox can't even handle 720P at 60fps for most games, and stereoscopy requires twice the fill rate.

This comment was edited on Jun 29, 2011, 20:59.

News Comments > Hear Yee, Hear Yee
47. Re: Hear Yee, Hear Yee Jun 28, 2011, 01:57 Jensen

Sorry if I wasn't clear.
It will become irrelevant as physical media is mostly phased out over the next 10 years.
I think the xbox 3 and PS4 will be the last consoles with a significant amount of physical media, and they may even transition to mostly download sales.

Kids have long been able to access free violent games on the internet, from Doom shareware to TF2 F2P... not to mention piracy. Banning physical store sales to minors would do little to prevent them from getting access to violent games.

This comment was edited on Jun 28, 2011, 02:22.

News Comments > Hear Yee, Hear Yee
45. Re: Hear Yee, Hear Yee Jun 28, 2011, 00:04 Jensen

This case is almost irrelevant anyway, as physical media is phased out.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 21, 2011, 19:09 Jensen

Who knows what £39.99 transfers to in dollars, but even at $39.99, the price is fairly steep.

I pay $35 at the most for PC games (Portal 2), and I enjoy many indie and older mainstream titles in the $5-$15 range.

I really want a mainstream open/semi-open (as in android/iOS) portable with gaming buttons that isn't tied to a contract.

24. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 10, 2011, 20:36 Jensen

Bumpy wrote on Jun 10, 2011, 15:14:
Thing I'm thinking....will MS and Sony now rethink their next systems and also include a touch screen with their controller?
Sony doesn't have to copy Nintendo's hardware this time. I'm sure the Vita interfacing with the PS3 can do anything the WiiUPad can do, and do it better, with minor differences.

The Wii U is a big 3DS, sans 3D (HDS?)

News Comments > RAGE Trailer
33. Re: RAGE Trailer Jun 4, 2011, 19:06 Jensen

64 Shades of Brown :-)  

News Comments > Portal 2 Tools Released
19. Re: Portal 2 Tools Released May 12, 2011, 02:29 Jensen

Veinman wrote on May 11, 2011, 15:28:
I don't have Portal 2 yet... does it have any way inside it to access user content? I think the days of my scouring websites to download maps and throw them in folders are probably over.
I wondering if they'll go a step beyond that and allow users to sell their creations in the store for Portal 2. One of the recent Gabe interviews made it sound like they may be moving in that direction. The Portal 2 item store must be a test of the capabilities. I can't believe they have the store just to sell hats and animations?

Still waiting for PSN to come back up so I can unlock the PC version and maybe mess with the editor. I haven't tried Hammer recently, but I had a much easier time with the Unreal editor.

312 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo