Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for David Jensen

Real Name David Jensen   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jensen
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 8, 2005, 17:47
Total Comments 332 (Amateur)
User ID 23609

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 10, 2013, 23:18 Jensen

When are they doing this with books?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > $83MM to Kickstart Games in 2012
8. Re: $83MM to Kickstart Games in 2012 Jan 9, 2013, 01:47 Jensen

Wow, all the games on Kickstarter combined almost got as much money as Minecraft PC made in 2012.

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 2013, 02:06.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Sony blocking used game sales Jan 4, 2013, 01:37 Jensen

This would let Sony implement a system like Steam with a bit more flexibility. Mostly online sales, but with discs for those with slower connections, and the RFID option so no internet connection is needed at all. Also, the disc wouldn't need to be in the system after the initial installation.

One of the reasons I'm a bit more accepting of Steam DRM is that it doesn't lock me to a specific piece of hardware made by the same company.

News Comments > Valve on VR Latency
17. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 2, 2013, 20:07 Jensen

entr0py wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 19:44:
I don't know a lot about it so I'm curious, how do VR glasses fix the convergence problem? My understanding is that convergence is where your eyes are pointed, and that naturally changes based on the distance to the object you're focusing on (more or less cross eyed). But even with VR glasses the screens are still a fixed distance from your eyes.

Would they need eye tracking to allow your eyes to converge on any object in the scene?

The focus point for the oculus rift is infinity. The apurature of the human eye is small enough that focus doesn't change much beyond 10 feet or so. The Rift is also low resolution, so I doubt there will be any (focus vs convergence) issues unless you are consistently looking at a virtual object within a foot or two.

News Comments > Op Ed
28. Re: Op Ed Dec 30, 2012, 22:46 Jensen

Reckless wrote on Dec 30, 2012, 06:12:
Jensen wrote on Dec 30, 2012, 02:41:
I hope Apple releases one and pushes other companies towards using higher quality panels. I think their usage of high quality panels in the recent iPhones and iPads has help push the mobile industry in the right direction.
So you think that a TV with marketing bullshit like "retina display" will be any different than the afore mentioned HD moniker? The question here is the lack of a clear and concise statement about how good something is.

I actually find the term "retina" to be useful. It refers to an (Apple) device with exactly twice the linear pixel density (of what was previously an industry standard/average) while keeping elements the same physical size.

But retina isn't what I was referring to. The display on my iPad 3 is very close to the sRGB standard, has zero banding issues and uses an 8-bit IPS display. Many competing devices are using quite good screens, too.

I was disappointed with the plasma TV I got, even though it was quite highly rated at the time. I'd like a no-nonsense TV that looks as good as my iPad. Stores are worthless for picking a good display, always having the wrong settings.

News Comments > Op Ed
23. Re: Op Ed Dec 30, 2012, 02:41 Jensen

mag wrote on Dec 30, 2012, 02:30:
If it's not indicated, then it's a TN panel. IPS always says so, PVA usually says so. Easy.

Easy for me and you. But they still don't explain the difference. I even see it here: "I sit directly in front of my monitor, why does viewing angle matter?")

Panel type is better than it has been in the past (Dell used to have some models that could come with either IPS or *VA.) You can also usually infer it from the specified viewing angle.

TV's are worse, though. I hope Apple releases one and pushes other companies towards using higher quality panels. I think their usage of high quality panels in the recent iPhones and iPads has help push the mobile industry in the right direction.

This comment was edited on Dec 30, 2012, 02:48.

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed Dec 30, 2012, 02:02 Jensen

Resellers love giving specs that are meaningless. I notice it with monitors:

Dynamic contrast ratio
pixel response time (several ways to measure this)
viewing angles (measuring method worthless)
"HD" (all monitors are HD)

They rarely advertise specs that are important to me: lag, bit depth, panel type.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2012, 17:49 Jensen

One of the comments brought up Steam. They have their Hardware & Software Survey. They could allow games to report back framerate statistics, and do all sorts of data analysis and share it with users. Myabe some interactive thing.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: 3D film making Dec 27, 2012, 12:21 Jensen

The theaters here have the flickering for 3D films that is even very noticeable in 2D trailers before the movie. I think that depends on the chain, though. Some use a lens that splits a 4k picture into two 2K pictures. Here they use alternating left and right frames at 144FPS.  

News Comments > Valve Living Room PCs Next Year?
18. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 9, 2012, 16:06 Jensen

Simon Says wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 15:26:
So Gabe, on one side you hate Win8 for it's Walled Garden approach and on the other side you want to build a Walled Garden of your own and that is OK? Yeah... right!
I don't see any evidence that they'd try to lock out non-Steam games, or require the SteamBox for any games.

Most store-bought computers make quite poor gaming machines. Hopefully this can make it easier to get into PC gaming.

News Comments > Notch on 0x10c Subscriptions
22. Re: Notch on 0x10c Subscriptions Nov 30, 2012, 02:09 Jensen

Sepharo wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 23:26:
I'm guessing the language/api isn't going to be as complex as you think. I remember an old game where you "programmed" mining robots with really simple routines. There are a few very simple flash games like that too.
Isn't it low level programming on an (old, slow) emulated CPU? I think the community will have to make compilers for other languages.

News Comments > Notch on 0x10c Subscriptions
21. Re: Notch on 0x10c Subscriptions Nov 30, 2012, 02:04 Jensen

Dades wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 22:58:
With all of the money and success from Minecraft he can afford some production value now, right?
He can afford to not make money on a game, too. He likes creating and programming games. I don't think he wants to manage a huge project with several people working under him.

From what I've seen, he'd rather invest his money in other gaming companies (like when he offered to fund Psychonauts 2)

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
9. Re: Sunday Mobilization Nov 26, 2012, 02:22 Jensen

What did I make up? I don't know the exact percentage of laptop displays that are TN, but I'd be suprised if it were below 99.

Apple sells extremely large numbers from a very limited product line. Any defect is going to be widely reported about.

Do you think Apple products have more defects than other devices? Have they become worse recently, or just more popular?

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
7. Re: Sunday Mobilization Nov 25, 2012, 20:41 Jensen

Apple releases a notebook with a display with more than twice as many pixels as any other notebook display ever, and with much better viewing angles than 99% of the competition.
One of them has a defect, and this means Apple products are taking a nosedive in quality?

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Blac Nov 8, 2012, 22:29 Jensen

Weird, the heading is Into the Bla  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
22. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 24, 2012, 21:59 Jensen

I'm generally happy with my iPad 3, and most of the complaints I have about it aren't fixed by the iPad 4, anyway.

Creston wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 15:35:
Who gives a shit that there's something better out than what you've got? Does what you have work well? Does it do what you want it to do? Does it do what was promised?

There is one way this could effect current owners of an older device: newer software may not be as optomized for it as long. And due to the screen resolution, the 3 may be slower than the 2 in some ways... making it the second slowest iPad. The ipad3 is the second iPad to be discontinued.

Not a big deal, though. I'm happy I bought mine when I did, and probably would have even if I knew the 4 was only 7 months away.

News Comments > 0x10c Interview; Test Footage
34. Re: 0x10c Interview; Test Footage Oct 13, 2012, 14:12 Jensen

Cutter wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 04:48:
and I still say he's out and out lied about his sales numbers.

Why do you say this? Do you think the counter at minecraft.net/stats/ is fake? Is minecraft not really the #4 paid app in the ios app store? Is he conspiring with 4J studios in the announcement of 4 million sales of the XBLA version?

News Comments > 0x10c Interview; Test Footage
33. Re: 0x10c Interview; Test Footage Oct 13, 2012, 13:58 Jensen

Slashman wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 10:33:
Minecraft sold over 9.2 million according to sales figure from Notch. I think he could afford to do something slightly more than what we're seeing in that video.

Notch can afford to do anything he wants to, and he wants to design and program a game by himself or with a very small team. It's not like all of Mojang is working on the game.

News Comments > Non-Gaming Apps on Steam
16. Re: Non-Gaming Apps on Steam Oct 2, 2012, 22:28 Jensen

Panickd wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 17:30:
I wonder if Valve will ever sell more than that one Indie Game movie on Steam.
I'm fine with buying games with Steam DRM, but I don't like DRM for video/audio/text, as it limits which devices I can use.

News Comments > Humble Indie Bundle 6
15. Re: Humble Indie Bundle 6 Sep 20, 2012, 01:41 Jensen

Jerykk wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 01:28:
I don't think you actually need any upgrades to beat the game. The upgrades just make it easier to solve some puzzles. The upgrade that lets you create a blob thing from nothing is especially handy.
Yeah, I know you don't need the nozzle upgrades. But do they make a simpler solution possible? or do they just make it easier to implement the solution? If it's the first case, I might not want the upgrade because I want an intellectual challenge... but if it just makes the controls easier, I want it.

Maybe the level design had to be looser to accommodate the different options?

Bah... I'm probably over analyzing it.

332 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo