Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for David Jensen

Real Name David Jensen   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jensen
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 8, 2005, 17:47
Total Comments 314 (Amateur)
User ID 23609

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > Non-Gaming Apps on Steam
16. Re: Non-Gaming Apps on Steam Oct 2, 2012, 22:28 Jensen

Panickd wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 17:30:
I wonder if Valve will ever sell more than that one Indie Game movie on Steam.
I'm fine with buying games with Steam DRM, but I don't like DRM for video/audio/text, as it limits which devices I can use.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Humble Indie Bundle 6
15. Re: Humble Indie Bundle 6 Sep 20, 2012, 01:41 Jensen

Jerykk wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 01:28:
I don't think you actually need any upgrades to beat the game. The upgrades just make it easier to solve some puzzles. The upgrade that lets you create a blob thing from nothing is especially handy.
Yeah, I know you don't need the nozzle upgrades. But do they make a simpler solution possible? or do they just make it easier to implement the solution? If it's the first case, I might not want the upgrade because I want an intellectual challenge... but if it just makes the controls easier, I want it.

Maybe the level design had to be looser to accommodate the different options?

Bah... I'm probably over analyzing it.

News Comments > Humble Indie Bundle 6
4. Re: Humble Indie Bundle 6 Sep 18, 2012, 23:30 Jensen

Vessel is a neat, but flawed, game.
The way the liquids interact and seamlessly transform into creatures is really cool.

It has an optional nozzle upgrade system. This just makes no sense to me for a puzzle game. It would be like Portal having an in game system to craft upgrades like boots that can let you jump 20% higher.

It also has a bit of backtracking. I don't want that in a puzzle game, I want a level at a time, each with it's own discreet set of puzzles. I think I spent some time trying to solve a puzzle that wasn't possible because I didn't have some upgrade.

I got stuck on a puzzle and never finished. It looked like I was about to get some new abilities. Perhaps I should just look at.a guide.

Rochard was fun but stretched thin. Sometimes I wish a developer would just release a 2 hour game instead of streatching out a concept for several hours.

News Comments > More on Valve's Hardware Plans
28. Re: More on Valve's Hardware Plans Sep 4, 2012, 19:11 Jensen

It seems that Valve has fairly wide ranging hardware interests.
Gabe Is in the kickstarter video for that sword fighting SDK, and also in the Oculus rift kickstarter video.
Valve is working on Linux Steam and big screen mode.
Portal2 supports the sixense/hydra motion.

A motion controller could fit with their physics gun games.

This comment was edited on Sep 4, 2012, 21:21.

News Comments > Labor Day Consolidation
6. Re: Labor Day Consolidation Sep 3, 2012, 19:55 Jensen

I'm not convinced the next Sony and Microsoft systems will run all games at 1080P, considering that a lot of current games don't even run at 720P.

If using double the fill rate for more effects instead of higher resolution is more noticeable to most consumers, the developers will stick with a lower resolution.

Nintendo is good about providing a consistently good framerate in their games, and puts that above graphical detail. I'm fine with that.

This comment was edited on Sep 3, 2012, 20:20.

News Comments > Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles
44. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 16:07 Jensen

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 14:31:
If they sold movies I would probably buy some.
They sell one: Indie Game: The Movie.
I didn't buy it from Steam, because it was offered DRM-free from the official site. I don't like DRM on Video, Audio and Text, because it locks me into using only approved hardware. I don't have this problem with Steam games... any hardware that is compatible with the games is also compatible with Steam.

How big is the market for non-game software? The only non-free non-game software I run right now is Photoshop

News Comments > Doom 4 Will Support Oculus Rift
41. Re: Doom 4 Will Support Oculus Rift Aug 4, 2012, 16:03 Jensen

Ratty wrote on Aug 4, 2012, 12:24:
Other 3D glasses and VR headsets have worked with a wide variety of games. They took the 3D data from the graphics card or something. It would be great if they could do the same thing with this. Why can't they? What game-specific things would they have to code in?
The image has to be warped and the game needs to respond to the head tracking data.

News Comments > Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits
66. Re: Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits Aug 1, 2012, 00:37 Jensen

StingingVelvet wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 23:34:
I just think they are also a greedy corporation that wants profit and that fucks consumers when they accept it and does altruistic things with financial goals in mind, same as any other corporation. It's the "Valve are a good company that cares about more than profit" mindset that drives me bonkers.

Thank you for pointing out that Valve is a Corporation, and that they attempt to make a profit... I was not aware of that. Does (corporation = 'wants profit' = greed)?

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 4, 2012, 02:21 Jensen

The upgrade to Mountain Lion is free for the retina MBP, and I believe it's supposed to come out this month.

I haven't used the rMBP, and I assume you haven't either, so there isn't much point in arguing further about it because of a reported performance issue in one app that is due to be replaced this month.

This comment was edited on Jul 4, 2012, 02:31.

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 3, 2012, 23:58 Jensen

Apple is usually pretty good about this... they'd rather not release a feature than release a half finished feature.

Calling it one of the worst screw-ups though? It's getting excellent reviews overall, even for an Apple product.

I'd rather view the web on a retina display that scrolls at 20fps than a non-retina at 50fps
(games on the other hand....)

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 3, 2012, 22:45 Jensen

From the review you linked:
... Iím doing something Iíve never done before in an Apple review. We rarely give out Editorís Choice awards at AnandTech, and Iím quite possibly the stingiest purveyor of them. I feel that being overly generous with awards diminishes their value. In this case, all of the effort Apple has put into bringing a Retina Display to the MacBook Pro is deserving of one.

Apple thinks that these displays are so great that they are willing to make compromises they normally wouldn't make. They made the new iPad thicker and heavier with worse battery life than the old one. The change in the display for the MBPr is even more important because the display was also upgraded from a TN to an IPS.

The scrolling issue should be fixable with better software. The MBPr only has 65% more pixels than the much less powerful iPad, which usually has very smooth scrolling.

News Comments > Microsoft Unveils Surface
9. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 18, 2012, 22:30 Jensen

The Pro version is very interesting. Full Windows on a tablet about 40% heavier than an iPad, and has a digitizer. The battery is about the same capacity as the one in the new iPad.

The RT version, on the other hand, is out-specced by an iPad in most ways, and won't have the software to make up for that.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
12. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 28, 2012, 00:19 Jensen

Rea1One wrote on May 27, 2012, 18:52:
its pretty obvious Wii U is a 1080p console while Xbox 360 and PS3 has 99% 720p games.
The recent CoD games are only 1024*600 on the 360. I think Wii games may be a bit less than 480p.

I don't see Nintendo rendering at 1080p when they can render at 720p with more effects. 1080p is over twice as many pixels as 720p.

News Comments > Minecraft Sells 6M
7. Re: Minecraft Sells 6M May 26, 2012, 02:14 Jensen

Also, all the PC sales were at the Ä9.95 alpha, Ä14.95 beta, or Ä19.95 prices. I think the only sale they've had is a one weekend two keys for the price of one sale on the weekend he was wed.

The android version had a 10Ę sale, though

This comment was edited on May 26, 2012, 02:20.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
27. Re: Monitor Troubles May 21, 2012, 20:35 Jensen

My work has had to replace a bunch of Viewsonics that are only a couple of years old, but the Dells have worked great. I have a 30" Dell at home that is quite good, except the gamut is too high so some colors are wrong (avoid high gamut) My parents and brother each have a 20" Dell that has been running well for several years. (one had an issue that was fairly common for IPS monitors at the time where there was was a dark area across the top of the screen that looked like a watermark, so Dell shipped a new monitor and we shipped back the old monitor in that box)
Dells have more adjustable stands, and IMO they have a nicer overall design.

Input lag is hard to measure correctly. In this case where there is less than a frame of difference between two choices, I wouldn't worry about it... it may even be a testing error.

I hope Apple starts using IPS when they switch their laptops to retina displays... it really is much better than TN, though I'll admit I'm pickier than most.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
29. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 14, 2012, 01:40 Jensen

Thanks for trying to help, but it has nothing to do with the signal. It even happens with the TV OSD menus. I mostly just use Netflix on the PS3 or DVD/Blu-ray, all through HDMI. I just posted that image I found because that is when I usually notice... Blinds on a sitcom. It doesn't really happen all that often.

The dark stripe under his nose is all that I am referring too. It is not a compression artifact.

25. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 13, 2012, 22:53 Jensen

nin wrote on May 13, 2012, 21:22:
The moment you mentioned ghosting, I thought of the cables...you swapped those?
I use HDMI. Usually from my PS3.
It's not often noticeable. Only when there are high contrast horizontal stripes. Ghosting probably isn't the right way to describe it.

Edit:
here's an image that shows what I'm talking about

This comment was edited on May 13, 2012, 23:19.

20. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 13, 2012, 20:48 Jensen

I did a lot of research before buying and afterwards on settings. I didn't use a calibration device, but I still expect it to be better than it is, and I doubt calibration would fix the color banding.
Maybe I'm just extremely picky?

My new iPad, on the other hand, looks very similar to the hardware calibrated $1000 NEC ips LCD monitors at work. It has zero banding in gradients. The backlight color is a bit uneven, and it doesn't have quite the viewing angles as a Plasma, but those are very minor issues.

15. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 13, 2012, 19:08 Jensen

I got a midrange 50" Panasonic Plasmsa a couple of years ago and I'm not all that satisfied with it. It says that the picture is THX certified. The black level fluctuates depending on the content on the screen (and it's a sudden shift). There is a lot of color banding in gradients. There is some buzz, especially when mostly showing white. If there is something high contrast in the image, like blinds, it is ghosted across the width of the screen. It doesn't have pixel-perfect sharpness. The viewing angles beat any LCD, though.

I hate the LED hype... they market it like it is a major panel type like Plasma, LCD or OLED, when it's just another kind of backlight for an LCD.

OLED has issues too. They have a non-standard color gamut. Brightness adjustment can be more difficult.

News Comments > Leaked Valve Employee Handbook?
6. Re: Leaked Valve Employee Handbook? Apr 21, 2012, 15:12 Jensen

OMG! In one of the pictures an employee is wearing a HL3 shirt!  

314 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo