Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for David Jensen

Real Name David Jensen   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jensen
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 8, 2005, 17:47
Total Comments 320 (Amateur)
User ID 23609

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
7. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 2, 2014, 23:19 Jensen

jdreyer wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 21:07:
Pickup-driving, Nascar-watching, burger-eating, butt-scratching, straight, white males. Only.

Don't put down NASCAR like that! They allow female drivers. There's only one currently racing, though.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > ManiaPlanet Demo Plans
1. Re: ManiaPlanet Demo Plans Jun 30, 2014, 22:51 Jensen

Current player counts:
Valley: 9
Canyon: 24
Stadium: 73
Multi-Environment: 0

Hopefully this can increase the player count, but I'm not expecting much.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
2. Re: Evening Interviews</p> <ul> <li> <a href= Jun 27, 2014, 20:23 Jensen

I saw this article and it made me think of Cutter... Specifically, his views about Minecraft and the people who play it.

https://www.thedodo.com/for-the-first-time-chimpanzees-605888880.html
"Itís a trend thatís taken a troop of chimpanzees by storm: a blade of grass dangling from an ear. The "grass-in-ear behavior," as scientists have termed it, seems to be one of the first times that chimpanzees have created a tradition with no discernible purpose -- a primate fashion statement, in other words. "

News Comments > Into the Black
11. Re: Into the Black May 31, 2014, 00:33 Jensen

1badmf wrote on May 30, 2014, 18:17:
i never got people's obsessions with refresh rate, especially on LCD panels. i've never noticed any form of ghosting or image persistence on my 75hz dell 27" and like all of you i've been gaming since the 90s.
If you're tracking an image on your monitor that is moving at 750 pixels/second, you are seeing 10 pixels worth of motion blur because of the persistence. You effectively lose 90% of the resolution of the image. On a CRT, the image will still have almost no blur.

Here's a good demonstration. The text on the map is completely unreadable on a full persistence monitor, but on a CRT or a lightboost LCD, the text will be easy to read.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
5. Re: Sunday Metaverse May 26, 2014, 03:33 Jensen

I get about 64mbit down, yet I still have issues with streaming video, even from Youtube and Amazon.
I'd like to see more services actually saturate the bandwidth I have... it's fast enough to stream at blu-ray's max bitrate.
I could use a lot more upload bandwidth, though. 4 Mbit up sucks for online backup services.

News Comments > ZeniMax vs. Oculus and Carmack on VR Tech
38. Re: ZeniMax vs. Oculus and Carmack on VR Tech May 1, 2014, 19:20 Jensen

Quboid wrote on May 1, 2014, 16:35:
I don't think the patent thing is necessarily BS. Carmack does acknowledge that ZeniMax owns the code that he wrote, he's not trying to deflect from that. This suggests that he has written new code that has similarities to ZeniMax's old code, similarities that would be in breach of a patent had there been one.

Are Carmack and Oculus VR using code that he wrote while at ZeniMax, or are they using code that's very similar to code that he wrote at ZeniMax? I don't know what the legal position is if it's the later.
"Oculus uses zero lines of code that I wrote while under contract to Zenimax." https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/462000400996921344

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
15. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 16, 2014, 18:28 Jensen

It's hard to even guess sales without knowing what CV2 or CV3 will contain. I'd rather they focus on getting a controller out next... Something like a PS Move that is tracked as quickly and accurately as the HMD is.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 16, 2014, 05:43 Jensen

Cutter wrote on Apr 15, 2014, 21:36:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 15, 2014, 19:37:
85,000 Oculus Rift dev kits sold.

I still think that's an amazing number of OR dev kits sold. Bodes well for the retail product.

No it doesn't. The vast majority of people have no desire to strap a TV to their head. Ultra niche product at best.

If you're so confident, give us some numbers. How many are they going to sell the first year they are available?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
26. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 31, 2014, 16:19 Jensen

jdreyer wrote on Mar 31, 2014, 15:12:
A couple of articles for those who are interested:

4K Resolution Is Visible vs 1080p on 55" TV from 9' Viewing Distance

That article is a little more optimistic than this one, which shows you should start getting the benefit of 4K from a 55" set at about 7':

1080p Does Matter Ė Hereís When (Screen Size vs. Viewing Distance vs. Resolution)
Thanks for the link. That's the first time I've seen a real world test instead of just some math. The fact that 48 out of 49 participants picked the correct display at 9' makes me suspect that over half could pick the correct TV from even a foot or two further away, which would make the chart in the second link about 50% too conservative.

I hope 4K TVs become standard just so it will be easier to produce 4K+ monitors.

News Comments > Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled
34. Re: Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled Mar 25, 2014, 21:31 Jensen

In the short term, this will mean a cheaper, better headset from Oculus. Of course, that won't matter much is there ends up being a developer backlash, but I predict that will die down soon.

in the long term? If Facebook ruins Oculus, there will be other choices by then.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
10. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 22, 2014, 03:31 Jensen

Steazy wrote on Mar 22, 2014, 02:35:
I was really surprised at how much devs were able to squeeze out of the last gen hardware, there's a lot to be said for a fixed platforms when it comes to game optimization. I expect that with VR stuff it will be especially advantageous to be closer to the metal. As far as I know lower latency is more important than super high framerates for VR (though low frame times are definitely helpful for reducing latency) and having less OS to deal with should be helpful for that (OMG SteamOS Dizzy ).
Yeah, I think having a fixed platform with complete control of the whole pipeline from input to photons will be a significant advantage for creating console VR software. Even will traditional console games, developers don't have that kind of control, since you have to provide your own TV, and they have to assume it's super laggy and overscans.

I'll definitely want a PC VR headset though, because there will be a lot more cool experimental things that won't reach consoles.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
5. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 22, 2014, 02:01 Jensen

jdreyer wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 19:05:
That's true. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons comes to mind. Had the studio decided to do that in 8 bit instead of UE3, the game would have completely lost it's impact and sense of wonder.
Well yeah.... the gameplay wasn't that great. I did love the area with the giants,though. The other thing I liked is that the game mechanics and the story fit together well, especially near the end.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
29. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 20, 2014, 23:32 Jensen

jdreyer wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 21:25:
@ Quboid
That's a good point. I think I remember reading somewhere that OR wanted 120Hz refresh. Do we know that for sure? It would make sense for preventing nausea, I would think.
I think they wanted 120Hz before they experimented with low-persistence. Now with low persistence displays, you can have a much lower refresh rate and still make images in motion appear to be very sharp (much sharper than 120Hz full persistence). They are now targeting at least 90Hz, because by that point most people no longer notice any flickering. I used to run CRTs at 85Hz to avoid flickering, and it's the same concept for low persistence OLED or LCD.
Not that 90Hz is perfect in every way... higher is always better, even as you approach 1000Hz.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
26. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 20, 2014, 18:39 Jensen

Quboid wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 18:10:
If one of either a 1080p model for $250 or a 1440p model for $350 was to be released, although I personally would pay more for the higher resolution I would rather they chose the cheaper model.
They've said before that getting the best components available is more important to them than hitting a target price, such as $300. So I think they'd buy a 1440 screen for $150 instead of a 1080 screen for $100.

It's not like there is much of a choice when you have to buy several hundred thousand of something. There's not going to be a huge premium on any product available to purchase in huge quantities.

*baseless speculation*
And who knows what the manufacturing is like? Maybe Samsung wanted a 1440p display for their s5 phone, but wasn't able to get to the point where they could make tens of millions of displays in time to meet s5 demand, so they can sell screens to Oculus for now.

This comment was edited on Mar 20, 2014, 23:08.

News Comments > Unreal 4 Engine Released; $19/Month Licensing
5. Re: Unreal 4 Engine Released; $19/Month Licensing Mar 19, 2014, 19:42 Jensen

Frijoles wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 19:33:
Beamer wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 19:29:
$19 per plus 5% for full source code?
That's better than UDK in some ways, as you get full source code, but less good in that, with UDK, you could work for months without paying anything.

Yeah, I'm wondering if the free option is still there just to learn it. I've never even looked at it. I wouldn't mind playing with it, but not for $20 since I'll have no idea what I'm doing and won't be making anything worthwhile. I can stick with Unity for just screwing around.
You don't lose access to the software if you stop paying, you just stop getting updates. So you could just pay $19 once, and only pay again if you actually need to build something.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
8. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 12, 2014, 06:20 Jensen

jdreyer wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 21:28:
CrimsonPaw wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 20:34:
'Flappy Bird' creator says he's considering bringing his game back
Because I'm worried about it becoming too popular, I'm going to be charging 9.99 for it.

Or maybe he's missing the $50K per day he was making in ad revenue. Which is like $250K a day in his native Vietnam.
He's still making ad revenue from the game. I kinda liked the game, though I pretty much stopped playing once I got a score over 200.

News Comments > Valve Reddit Interview
19. Re: Valve Reddit Interview Mar 5, 2014, 23:55 Jensen

Sepharo wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 21:56:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 18:13:
Well we know Valve has been working on Source 2. So I would think they will build their flagship game to showcase the new engine. I hope it's as revolutionary as Source was when it finally got showcased. I still remember the jaw dropping abilities of Source when it was shown way back in 04.

They call the next major upgrade of the Source engine Source 2. When you play L4D2 or Portal 2 you're playing on an engine that at one time was branched/referred to as Source 2.
No.

"Is it more than just an extension to Source? Like, is it an entirely new engine?"
"Yeah," Newell said.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
33. Re: Sunday Mobilization Feb 9, 2014, 22:10 Jensen

NewMaxx wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 20:15:
Orogogus wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 13:35:
I don't know about dollar success, but I think Angry Birds is more analogous ... But Angry Birds and Flappy Bird are two games I wouldn't have guessed would almost immediately rake in more money than I'll ever see in my life. Are there a ton of people with a gene that makes bird games irresistible

Except for the fact that Angry Birds is a well-designed game. It has pleasing graphics, decent performance, great audio, a fantastic difficulty curve, and in general fits the mold of what a mobile game should be. Flappy Bird rips off not only an entire game concept from Helicopter but also rips off artwork from Super Mario Bros. There's no comparison. One is a new idea done well, another is an old idea that only got popular because people are ADHD-riddled and generally incapable of gauging their self-value outside of a repetitively pointless activity.

Angry Birds obviously had a lot more work put into it than Flappy Bird, but I'd rather play the latter.
Angry Birds is too luck based to be interesting to me.

Also Flappy Birds doesn't have interstitial ads, a currency system, arbitrary daily goals, please rate my app pop-ups, waiting periods and all the other things that make me despise so many mobile games.

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 2014, 22:16.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
32. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 9, 2014, 00:35 Jensen

I enjoy 3D movies. The last five movies I saw at the theater were 3D. Pacific Rim, The Hobbit, Gravity, Frozen, The Lego Movie.
I don't care for 3D done in post, though. In Pacific Rim, it looked like the rain was coming down in flat sheets.

I'd like to see fewer trailers shown before a movie. Just two or so would be great. With the Internet, trailers can be watched on demand, so there's little reason for me to waste time watching them at the theater.

I think 3D is here to stay, but proportion of movies available in 3D will probably be lower.

News Comments > Amnesia Fortnight Game Jam
5. Re: Amnesia Fortnight Game Jam Feb 6, 2014, 23:13 Jensen

And for all of the Double Fine Adventure haters out there:
They won't go over-budget
They'll finish on time
You can see their ideas before you pay money

320 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..