Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for David Jensen

Real Name David Jensen   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jensen
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 8, 2005, 17:47
Total Comments 341 (Amateur)
User ID 23609

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed
94. Re: MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed Sep 15, 2014, 18:10 Jensen

Beamer wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 17:46:
Cutter wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 17:43:
Prez wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 17:29:
For the record Cutter said this is one of the most idiotic business moves he has ever seen by a company (paraphrasing), and I am inclined to agree. This is beyond ridiculous - it's just obscenely and surreally absurd. He also made mention of "Ballmer Junior" making the same retarded decisions as his "daddy".

It's true. At least with shit like Google Glass and Occulus there are plenty of real world uses for them even if they never catch on as mainstream entertainment. So FB's purchase of OR - while stupidly overvalued - is still a pretty sane investment.

This is really - for all intents and purposes - a one man company with zero track record and one massively successful fluke. The game is about saturated as its going to get and is most likely starting a long slow downward slide. It will be remembered fondly as we remember Super Mario. But there is nothing that makes this worth even a 100 mil at this point - unless they have some very lucrative licensing deals going on for MC merch that we don't know about. So even at the outside of say 200 mil, it would be dumb but understandable as dumb things corporations do. But 2.5 billion? They won't even make the 500 million back on that. Their stock closed down today so lets see if that continues and their investors also think Nutella has gone nuts.

Yes, Cutter, there's nothing that makes it worth even $100 million, except the fact that it made over that much in profit last year.

You call me stupid, but fuck, man. Seriously, fuck. Minecraft brought in $330 million in revenue and $130 million in profit.

I'm the stupid one, but you just said $130 isn't even worth $100.
Between this and your "let's judge companies based on stock price," it's amazing that you ever open your mouth on financial decisions.
They made double that if you include Notch's profits.
So yes, according to Cutter's logic, a company that made $250+ million in profit last year isn't worth $100 million. And that was before the whole new line of Minecraft Lego sets, a Minecraft movie, and three new platforms.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > MS to Reveal $2.5B Mojang Deal Tomorrow?
67. Re: MS to Reveal $2.5B Mojang Deal Tomorrow? Sep 15, 2014, 00:37 Jensen

Jivaro wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 00:23:
When somebody says "I will give you 2 billion dollars for that" you say "yes". Every. Single. Time.
Who knows how many times he was offered $1 billion and rejected it?

60. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2014, 22:53 Jensen

The other thing is that the console versions are done by a third party contractor. Mojang only does the PC and phone/tablet versions  

59. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2014, 22:48 Jensen

nin wrote on Sep 14, 2014, 19:56:
Jensen wrote on Sep 14, 2014, 18:57:
Mojang doesn't own the Minecraft IP

Then who does?
Notch Enterprises AB

Forbes article:
Swedish tax documents from April that were obtained by FORBES show that Mojang, which restructured ownership stakes earlier this year, is wholly-owned by a Swedish entity known as Notch Development. Persson controls 71% of Notch Development through Notch Enterprises AB, according to the documents. Porsér owns 21% while CEO Manneh controls 8%.

At a $2 billion purchase price, Persson would receive more than $1.4 billion before taxes if the deal was paid in all cash. That money would come in addition to payments from Mojang to license the “Minecraft” title he created. In the past, the company’s disclosed that it paid entities affiliated with Persson more than $100 million per year in 2012 and 2013 for licensing fees. According to Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter, Microsoft would presumably be acquiring both Mojang and the rights to “Minecraft” from Persson in the potential deal.

54. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2014, 18:57 Jensen

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 14, 2014, 15:40:
NewMaxx wrote on Sep 14, 2014, 14:55:
Just for the record, Microsoft is buying Mojang, not Minecraft. Notch wouldn't sell if he had to give up any significant amount of creative control. The idea that MS would swoop in and destroy the community or the modding is hilarious.

But buying Majong is buying Minecraft, no?

Notch has 2.5 billion reasons to run away from everything.

MS can fuck it up, doesn't mean they will, but they're sort of experts in doing it.

Mojang doesn't own the Minecraft IP, but I don't see how this deal could not also include the Minecraft IP.

I don't think Notch has been involved much with Minecraft since it left beta.

News Comments > Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B?
180. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 14, 2014, 04:32 Jensen

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 13, 2014, 23:33:
The most significant sentence in that article, "Microsoft is expected to pay close to $2.5 billion for Mojang, or about 8 times sales last year." So, that's just over $300 million in sales last year for Mojang. And since most of the sales are direct download, the profit margin is probably pretty high.

Did anyone have an answer for this?
Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 10:47:
Not that it really matters, but I was wondering... does anyone know how generous Notch has or hasn't been in giving away percentage ownership of Mojang to the employees? 1% of $2 billion is $20 million....
I think just Notch, Carl Manneh (CEO), and Jakob Porser have any ownership.

News Comments > PopCap Founder Pops Out
22. Re: PopCap Founder Pops Out Sep 6, 2014, 20:04 Jensen

jdreyer wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 17:59:
RaZ0r! wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 16:10:
PopCap the original shitware paved the way for crap like Zynga.
While it could be reasonably argued that Popcap enabled Zynga, I'd hardly call their games shitware. While casual, they were innovative at the time they were made. And I appreciated games we could play together as a family when my kids were younger. And games like Bookworm Adventures helped the kids with spelling and vocabulary.
Not really sure how they're related, except that they both target the "casual" gaming market. I loved Peggle and PvZ.

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
3. Re: Saturday Interviews Sep 6, 2014, 19:41 Jensen

DangerDog wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 17:45:
Cell phone radiation is a real thing, I don't think I would want to wear a cell phone on my head for hours on end playing games/watching movies like that.
Of course it's real. You wouldn't be able to see anything on the screen if there were no radiation :-)

News Comments > The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth in November
4. Re: The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth in November Sep 6, 2014, 01:04 Jensen

I didn't play the first one due to performance issues. If this one runs well, I may actually play it.  

News Comments > Op Ed
152. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 23:59 Jensen

jdreyer wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 23:38:
Here's a thoughtful female dev critiquing Sarkeesian. Well written, with valid points:

The biggest issue I have, however, comes when Sarkeesian suggests that violence against women is “encouraged” – which I don’t buy. When the game does encourage violence against NPSOs, she’s right, but simply because a player is able to do something, does not in fact mean that the game is actively encouraging it. To come back to Dishonored, the fact that the player has the choice of whether to kill or not kill anyone in the game (NPCs and NPSOs), including the primary targets, does not in fact mean that players are encouraged to kill them.
Nice reasoned response. Notice how she didn't call Sarkeesian an attention-seeking liar.

News Comments > Op Ed
150. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 23:50 Jensen

How does a woman make a video series to draw attention to sexism in video games without drawing attention to herself? Is there a different way she could have done it?

How about the guys that make videos like the "Five Guys" video? Are their videos not just attempts at self promotion?

News Comments > Op Ed
141. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 21:40 Jensen

nin wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 10:14:
She's a lot like Jack Thompson. You could almost say she's started down the same path, as an alarmist desperately begging for your attention (and money!).

She is nothing like Jack Thompson.
Thompson tried to sue game makers over school shootings. He tried to sue retailers for carrying violent games. He filed a suit against Sony for allowing certain games on their systems.
I have never heard Sarkeesian advocate censorship or legal involvement. I've never heard her blame a school shooting or any other violence on video games.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
80. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 29, 2014, 01:45 Jensen

Jerykk wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 00:48:
Of course, the mere fact that she's a prostitute would be enough for Sarkeesian to declare her an example of misogyny (assuming that she actually played the first two Hitman games).

Sarkeesian almost never uses inflammatory or accusatory languages in her videos. She only uses a form of the word "misogyny" a few times, and every time she uses it, she is referring to NPCs in the game, and not the game itself or the creators of the game.
I don't see anywhere she says that there shouldn't be prostitutes in games.

People are reading a lot more into her videos than what is actually there.

This comment was edited on Aug 29, 2014, 01:56.

68. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 28, 2014, 19:25 Jensen

Mad Max RW wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 22:27:
It's hard to believe anything these people say when they cry wolf so damn much.

Aaand it's probably fake.

If that's fake, then that anti-Sarkeesian movie must be fake too, because no one could possibly look that douchey unless they were secretly making an MRA parody video.

15. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 28, 2014, 02:58 Jensen

PropheT wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 02:14:
Joss Whedon apparently doesn't realize that half the shit she rants about could just as well be targeted at the female characters he's famous for, because they'd fit right in to practically any video game out there and she's targeted things exactly like the work he's done for years.
The very first video on her Feminist Frequency Youtube is a quite negative critique of Whedon's "Dollhouse."

I don't care what your opinion is on women in video games, but you have got to wonder why the people who have been loudest about all of this has always been the people with the most to gain by having the uproar. Some people are using it for their own popularity, or to sell their books, or games, or kickstarter projects, and others have been using it to generate hits for their "journalism" instead.
Ar you talking about Internet Aristocrat and thunderf00t and the millions of views they've gotten from this uproar? (how much did they get from the ads I watched before their videos?)

News Comments > GOG.com Adds DRM-Free Movies; TV Coming
21. Re: GOG.com Adds DRM-Free Movies; TV Coming Aug 27, 2014, 20:17 Jensen

Creston wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 16:08:
While I'm all for DRM-free stuff, ... ,movie / dvd DRM has never bothered me.

Unlike, say, game DRM, which has made games actively unplayable at times.

So I'm not sure there's a huge demand for this?

I'm sorta the opposite. I'm fine with Steam DRM, because everything that runs any of my games also runs Steam, so it doesn't really limit my hardware choices. With DRM media files, it limits my choices for using the media. iTunes videos only work on Apple devices or Windows, most DVD or Blu-rays can't be legally ripped, kindle books don't work on competing readers, New 4k stores tied to specific TVs, etc.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
4. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 27, 2014, 04:24 Jensen

I'd love to see a 30" OS X tablet. I'd like to see a desktop OS designed around multitouch + pen input. MS really hasn't done very well.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Aug 26, 2014, 21:17 Jensen

In contrast, here's Polygon's post on Patreon and such: http://www.polygon.com/forums/meta/2014/8/26/6071669/on-patreon-support  

News Comments > Op Ed
63. Re: Op Ed Aug 26, 2014, 20:34 Jensen

The video compares the hatred Anita Sarkeesian gets to the hatred Jack Thompson got to basically say "see, it's nothing about her gender, it's just the content."
I'm sorry, but I must have missed the part where Anita tried to sue people and change laws. I also missed the part where she linked specific crimes to video games.

News Comments > Op Ed
38. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 19:44 Jensen

ASeven wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 14:44:

And don't you dare say that beheading women for not wearing a piece of cloth and "sexism" in gaming are both problems. One is a real problem, the other is a non-issue.
Sexism in the gaming community isn't a real problem because women are being beheaded in other countries, but corruption* within the industry of video game journalists is a major problem. Got it.

*A free twine game may have possibly received a tiny bit of press because its creator was in a relationship with a journalist.

341 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo