Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for David Jensen

Real Name David Jensen   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jensen
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 8, 2005, 17:47
Total Comments 332 (Amateur)
User ID 23609

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
152. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 23:59 Jensen

jdreyer wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 23:38:
Here's a thoughtful female dev critiquing Sarkeesian. Well written, with valid points:

The biggest issue I have, however, comes when Sarkeesian suggests that violence against women is “encouraged” – which I don’t buy. When the game does encourage violence against NPSOs, she’s right, but simply because a player is able to do something, does not in fact mean that the game is actively encouraging it. To come back to Dishonored, the fact that the player has the choice of whether to kill or not kill anyone in the game (NPCs and NPSOs), including the primary targets, does not in fact mean that players are encouraged to kill them.
Nice reasoned response. Notice how she didn't call Sarkeesian an attention-seeking liar.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
150. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 23:50 Jensen

How does a woman make a video series to draw attention to sexism in video games without drawing attention to herself? Is there a different way she could have done it?

How about the guys that make videos like the "Five Guys" video? Are their videos not just attempts at self promotion?

News Comments > Op Ed
141. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 21:40 Jensen

nin wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 10:14:
She's a lot like Jack Thompson. You could almost say she's started down the same path, as an alarmist desperately begging for your attention (and money!).

She is nothing like Jack Thompson.
Thompson tried to sue game makers over school shootings. He tried to sue retailers for carrying violent games. He filed a suit against Sony for allowing certain games on their systems.
I have never heard Sarkeesian advocate censorship or legal involvement. I've never heard her blame a school shooting or any other violence on video games.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
80. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 29, 2014, 01:45 Jensen

Jerykk wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 00:48:
Of course, the mere fact that she's a prostitute would be enough for Sarkeesian to declare her an example of misogyny (assuming that she actually played the first two Hitman games).

Sarkeesian almost never uses inflammatory or accusatory languages in her videos. She only uses a form of the word "misogyny" a few times, and every time she uses it, she is referring to NPCs in the game, and not the game itself or the creators of the game.
I don't see anywhere she says that there shouldn't be prostitutes in games.

People are reading a lot more into her videos than what is actually there.

This comment was edited on Aug 29, 2014, 01:56.

68. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 28, 2014, 19:25 Jensen

Mad Max RW wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 22:27:
It's hard to believe anything these people say when they cry wolf so damn much.

Aaand it's probably fake.

If that's fake, then that anti-Sarkeesian movie must be fake too, because no one could possibly look that douchey unless they were secretly making an MRA parody video.

15. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 28, 2014, 02:58 Jensen

PropheT wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 02:14:
Joss Whedon apparently doesn't realize that half the shit she rants about could just as well be targeted at the female characters he's famous for, because they'd fit right in to practically any video game out there and she's targeted things exactly like the work he's done for years.
The very first video on her Feminist Frequency Youtube is a quite negative critique of Whedon's "Dollhouse."

I don't care what your opinion is on women in video games, but you have got to wonder why the people who have been loudest about all of this has always been the people with the most to gain by having the uproar. Some people are using it for their own popularity, or to sell their books, or games, or kickstarter projects, and others have been using it to generate hits for their "journalism" instead.
Ar you talking about Internet Aristocrat and thunderf00t and the millions of views they've gotten from this uproar? (how much did they get from the ads I watched before their videos?)

News Comments > GOG.com Adds DRM-Free Movies; TV Coming
21. Re: GOG.com Adds DRM-Free Movies; TV Coming Aug 27, 2014, 20:17 Jensen

Creston wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 16:08:
While I'm all for DRM-free stuff, ... ,movie / dvd DRM has never bothered me.

Unlike, say, game DRM, which has made games actively unplayable at times.

So I'm not sure there's a huge demand for this?

I'm sorta the opposite. I'm fine with Steam DRM, because everything that runs any of my games also runs Steam, so it doesn't really limit my hardware choices. With DRM media files, it limits my choices for using the media. iTunes videos only work on Apple devices or Windows, most DVD or Blu-rays can't be legally ripped, kindle books don't work on competing readers, New 4k stores tied to specific TVs, etc.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
4. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 27, 2014, 04:24 Jensen

I'd love to see a 30" OS X tablet. I'd like to see a desktop OS designed around multitouch + pen input. MS really hasn't done very well.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Aug 26, 2014, 21:17 Jensen

In contrast, here's Polygon's post on Patreon and such: http://www.polygon.com/forums/meta/2014/8/26/6071669/on-patreon-support  

News Comments > Op Ed
63. Re: Op Ed Aug 26, 2014, 20:34 Jensen

The video compares the hatred Anita Sarkeesian gets to the hatred Jack Thompson got to basically say "see, it's nothing about her gender, it's just the content."
I'm sorry, but I must have missed the part where Anita tried to sue people and change laws. I also missed the part where she linked specific crimes to video games.

News Comments > Op Ed
38. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 19:44 Jensen

ASeven wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 14:44:

And don't you dare say that beheading women for not wearing a piece of cloth and "sexism" in gaming are both problems. One is a real problem, the other is a non-issue.
Sexism in the gaming community isn't a real problem because women are being beheaded in other countries, but corruption* within the industry of video game journalists is a major problem. Got it.

*A free twine game may have possibly received a tiny bit of press because its creator was in a relationship with a journalist.

News Comments > Phil Fish Re-Quits Gaming
73. Re: Phil Fish Re-Quits Gaming Aug 23, 2014, 14:46 Jensen

Beamer wrote on Aug 23, 2014, 14:25:
And people keep burying their mostly abhorrent comments behind "games journalism sucks!"

Had anyone here actually heard of Zoe Quinn before this?
Had anyone here actually heard of whatever her game is?
Was it reviewed anywhere?
Yes, but only because I follow several game devs on twitter. And even then, only a few mentions.

I'd rather have someone like Phil Fish in this world, a somewhat unstable personality who made a pretty cool game, than the guy who made the thirty minute "five guys" video ostensibly because some free text adventure game may have gotten a little bit more press coverage than it deserved.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
7. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 2, 2014, 23:19 Jensen

jdreyer wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 21:07:
Pickup-driving, Nascar-watching, burger-eating, butt-scratching, straight, white males. Only.

Don't put down NASCAR like that! They allow female drivers. There's only one currently racing, though.

News Comments > ManiaPlanet Demo Plans
1. Re: ManiaPlanet Demo Plans Jun 30, 2014, 22:51 Jensen

Current player counts:
Valley: 9
Canyon: 24
Stadium: 73
Multi-Environment: 0

Hopefully this can increase the player count, but I'm not expecting much.

2. Re: Evening Interviews</p> <ul> <li> <a href= Jun 27, 2014, 20:23 Jensen

I saw this article and it made me think of Cutter... Specifically, his views about Minecraft and the people who play it.

https://www.thedodo.com/for-the-first-time-chimpanzees-605888880.html
"It’s a trend that’s taken a troop of chimpanzees by storm: a blade of grass dangling from an ear. The "grass-in-ear behavior," as scientists have termed it, seems to be one of the first times that chimpanzees have created a tradition with no discernible purpose -- a primate fashion statement, in other words. "

News Comments > Into the Black
11. Re: Into the Black May 31, 2014, 00:33 Jensen

1badmf wrote on May 30, 2014, 18:17:
i never got people's obsessions with refresh rate, especially on LCD panels. i've never noticed any form of ghosting or image persistence on my 75hz dell 27" and like all of you i've been gaming since the 90s.
If you're tracking an image on your monitor that is moving at 750 pixels/second, you are seeing 10 pixels worth of motion blur because of the persistence. You effectively lose 90% of the resolution of the image. On a CRT, the image will still have almost no blur.

Here's a good demonstration. The text on the map is completely unreadable on a full persistence monitor, but on a CRT or a lightboost LCD, the text will be easy to read.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
5. Re: Sunday Metaverse May 26, 2014, 03:33 Jensen

I get about 64mbit down, yet I still have issues with streaming video, even from Youtube and Amazon.
I'd like to see more services actually saturate the bandwidth I have... it's fast enough to stream at blu-ray's max bitrate.
I could use a lot more upload bandwidth, though. 4 Mbit up sucks for online backup services.

News Comments > ZeniMax vs. Oculus and Carmack on VR Tech
38. Re: ZeniMax vs. Oculus and Carmack on VR Tech May 1, 2014, 19:20 Jensen

Quboid wrote on May 1, 2014, 16:35:
I don't think the patent thing is necessarily BS. Carmack does acknowledge that ZeniMax owns the code that he wrote, he's not trying to deflect from that. This suggests that he has written new code that has similarities to ZeniMax's old code, similarities that would be in breach of a patent had there been one.

Are Carmack and Oculus VR using code that he wrote while at ZeniMax, or are they using code that's very similar to code that he wrote at ZeniMax? I don't know what the legal position is if it's the later.
"Oculus uses zero lines of code that I wrote while under contract to Zenimax." https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/462000400996921344

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
15. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 16, 2014, 18:28 Jensen

It's hard to even guess sales without knowing what CV2 or CV3 will contain. I'd rather they focus on getting a controller out next... Something like a PS Move that is tracked as quickly and accurately as the HMD is.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 16, 2014, 05:43 Jensen

Cutter wrote on Apr 15, 2014, 21:36:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 15, 2014, 19:37:
85,000 Oculus Rift dev kits sold.

I still think that's an amazing number of OR dev kits sold. Bodes well for the retail product.

No it doesn't. The vast majority of people have no desire to strap a TV to their head. Ultra niche product at best.

If you're so confident, give us some numbers. How many are they going to sell the first year they are available?

332 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo