Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JeffD

Real Name JeffD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 31, 2005, 00:01
Total Comments 261 (Amateur)
User ID 23570

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
1. Re: Saturday Metaverse Aug 31, 2013, 18:36 JeffD

First papal "selfie" still making its rounds and showing up all the news media they have no idea what a selfie is.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions
55. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions Aug 22, 2013, 01:00 JeffD

Fibrocyte wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 18:41:

Correct. And if you play WoW versus GW2 then surely you understand why WoW is a much more robust experience. The combat, the class diversity, the content, ***THE PVP*** is all vastly superior to GW2.

Your opinion. A lot of us playing GW2 beg to differ. I have 8 years of EQ under my belt and 7 years of WoW. I grew tired of WoWs gameplay and lack of difficulty in all but heroic raiding. Leveling is such an absolute bore fest and if you aren't raiding, you have to grind dailys. GW2's more dynamic leveling structure and consistent difficulty while offering a more fast paced and reactive gameplay are a breath of fresh air.

WoW Thrives if you want to call it that, but it is only getting smaller. It will have to bleed a lot for it to actually consider changing its pay structure, mean while people like me are leaving in droves and would only consider a non subscription based MMO in the future.

Everquest and WoW were able to demand subscriptions because when they both came out, there was nothing like them. 6 years after WoWs release it has seen the release of many other big ticket MMOs with subscriptions that have failed, but no one could honestly say that any one of them were really up to it. They pretty much all copied WoW, very little innovated on new stuff, and most of them lacked end game content out the door. GW2 changed all this by offering a true MMO experience on a non subscription base showing that it can be done, and striving to offer up a different game then WoW.

In the end how ever, I left WoW because I was tired of the end game (heroic 25 man to the end), had to spend so many hours on a tight scheduled (not easy to do when you actually have a job and a life), and was tired of spending 174$ a year on it. GW2 gives me the same experience.. I don't need to invest tons of time, and I can leave and come back to it when ever I want. They are constantly adding new stuff to it. It is a win situation all around.

So why would I go back to subscription based again?

49. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions Aug 21, 2013, 17:32 JeffD

Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 16:21:
We'll see. You think WoW is somehow a "real" mmo but GW2 isn't just because...why exactly?

I'm interested in this too. Aside from the many many years of content releases... how does GW2 not equal more of an MMORPG then any other MMORPG including WoW? Heck GW1 and pretty much GW2 are the best at pvp in the mmorpg genre. WoW is a joke in this department.

44. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions Aug 21, 2013, 15:38 JeffD

Lonswd, you argument is so full of holes, in no way, in no world does subscription = game worth playing.  

40. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions Aug 21, 2013, 14:57 JeffD

Guild wars 2 is living proof you can build a cutting edge MMORPG with no sub, ingame store, and NO P2W model! There is nothing, zilch in the store that gives a competitive edge. Lots of cosmetics, xp boosters, and pets. You can convert money to gold, but you would have to be pretty bad to not beable to afford the baseline excotics at level 80.

In GW2 it isn't expensive to purchase (or use dungeon currencies or karma obtained from events) max armour and swords, it is merely a preference because they all have their own skins. Infact as of now, it is even easier. All currencies are now account wide. This allows you to run dungeons and events on a main character and then purchase armor on an another. Imagine if WoW's dungeon and raid tokens were account bound and could be used on alts.

Meanwhile every 2 weeks, new themes content is added to the game.

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 2013, 15:02.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 19, 2013, 13:21 JeffD

Why would you want a copy of the SNES port when everyone else pretty much has the arcade version available?  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed
9. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 16, 2013, 14:57 JeffD

NKD wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 10:17:
And how many people are still playing?

well that is something you can find out during the free trial.. isnt it.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
13. Bad headline, only roll back if your on a 7xx Aug 12, 2013, 12:59 JeffD

32x drivers work fine on my 460, probably because its on a different library then the 7xx. No need to roll back, is people with older cards are having zero problems with current drivers.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 10, 2013, 02:12 JeffD

"The actual market impact on Samsung will be small even if this order goes into effect—these are hardly cutting-edge phones. The one Galaxy-line phone accused in this case was the Galaxy S II, an older phone that was found not to infringe any of the Apple patents in question here.
"

In other words.. NOBODY PANIC!

News Comments > Lighting Tech Demo Video
3. Re: Lighting Tech Demo Video Jul 30, 2013, 14:05 JeffD

Yea I clicked the vimeo link rather then opened the news post which had the youtube link. youtube one is so much smoother.  

News Comments > Lighting Tech Demo Video
1. Re: Lighting Tech Demo Video Jul 30, 2013, 11:04 JeffD

vimeo is such a shit video service.. their player stutters so badly on my laptop.  

News Comments > Ultra Street Fighter 4 Footage
4. Re: Ultra Street Fighter 4 Footage Jul 22, 2013, 17:20 JeffD

Lol,

Step 1) make and sell new game sf x tekken

step 2) copy sf characters to another for sell update of sf4

step 3) profit.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jul 21, 2013, 15:00 JeffD

"draws his sword with a loud ringing sound"

I'm hating the WoW movie already.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VII
15. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VII Jul 4, 2013, 15:08 JeffD

Tom wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 11:20:
Verno wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 10:20:
Just a PSA, this is the ancient PC release with the shitty midi soundtrack

Played properly by an XG-capable synth, that MIDI soundtrack is legendary.

Its good.. but still not the same. There are custom instrument sounds in the game that didn't carry over well to midi instruments. On the flip side the horns and strings were horrible on the ps1 version. I had a roland sc-55 at the time ff7 came to pc, but these days I have played the midi tracks using high end 100-200 meg soundfonts.

Anyways, yea, wasn't really a good port. It was fine for the first of its kind decades ago, but to bring it out NOW like this is a travesty.

News Comments > Independence Day Legal Briefs
8. Re: Independence Day Legal Briefs Jul 4, 2013, 14:59 JeffD

I am OK WITH THIS!.jpg

Email and electronic stuff.. mostly harmless.. but when people are sending bombs and shit through snail mail, I want a way to track the sons of bitches!

News Comments > Op Ed
37. Re: Op Ed Jul 2, 2013, 04:15 JeffD

While not really any raid progression, Guild Wars has a healthy difficulty factor. The fact that you scale in level relative to the area you are in means you can't just run into a low level camp and take on 6-7 mobs.. well unless your a tanky guardian.

The dungeons in guild wars 2 however are brutal, and one dungeon scales mob difficulty up as you go through it. Its actually impossible to reach the highest level (its like 99, but I believe in the 70s the environmental damage just one shots). Also questing legendary weapons requires true dedication.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 13, 2013, 04:25 JeffD

Cutter, that is about the only counter point I would bring up. Much like the current generation consoles did, I too will be happy to see the low bar that games get designed for brought up once again. I am equally excited to see that the architecture of both consoles is very close to a pc. We all know the woes of the multi processor PS3 design and the xbox just seemed to show programmers were lazy and relied on maxing out 3 cores on a 3gh cpu (so if your pc was running 2.x ghz processors you were gonna get lower performances). Now everyone is on the same playing field. Can't wait.  

News Comments > RIFT Free-to-Play Begins
10. Re: RIFT Free-to-Play Begins Jun 13, 2013, 04:19 JeffD

Yea enough with the tin foil. It doesn't do any more than any other game or program you have installed. The fact that rift doesn't seem to have a current level of income just means they aren't sure how to go about it yet. One thing they do want however is a player base, so they DIDN'T do something silly stupid like nerf xp or lockout end game content. The player base is small so server cost are small. What they need now is a player base that invest time into a character in the game, then down the road there will be micro transaction either in the form of visuals (ala guild wars) or additional expansions.  

News Comments > Mirror's Edge Reboot Announced
19. Re: Mirror's Edge Reboot Announced Jun 11, 2013, 02:38 JeffD

What the hell... why are we rebooting a game that only had one release and the release apparently did well?  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 4, 2013, 21:07 JeffD

Looking for new content from tv? color me surprised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw

261 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo