Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JeffD

Real Name JeffD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 31, 2005, 00:01
Total Comments 245 (Novice)
User ID 23570

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 13, 2013, 04:25 JeffD

Cutter, that is about the only counter point I would bring up. Much like the current generation consoles did, I too will be happy to see the low bar that games get designed for brought up once again. I am equally excited to see that the architecture of both consoles is very close to a pc. We all know the woes of the multi processor PS3 design and the xbox just seemed to show programmers were lazy and relied on maxing out 3 cores on a 3gh cpu (so if your pc was running 2.x ghz processors you were gonna get lower performances). Now everyone is on the same playing field. Can't wait.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > RIFT Free-to-Play Begins
10. Re: RIFT Free-to-Play Begins Jun 13, 2013, 04:19 JeffD

Yea enough with the tin foil. It doesn't do any more than any other game or program you have installed. The fact that rift doesn't seem to have a current level of income just means they aren't sure how to go about it yet. One thing they do want however is a player base, so they DIDN'T do something silly stupid like nerf xp or lockout end game content. The player base is small so server cost are small. What they need now is a player base that invest time into a character in the game, then down the road there will be micro transaction either in the form of visuals (ala guild wars) or additional expansions.  

News Comments > Mirror's Edge Reboot Announced
19. Re: Mirror's Edge Reboot Announced Jun 11, 2013, 02:38 JeffD

What the hell... why are we rebooting a game that only had one release and the release apparently did well?  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 4, 2013, 21:07 JeffD

Looking for new content from tv? color me surprised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
38. Re: Morning Consolidation May 24, 2013, 15:20 JeffD

As per the visual DRM, I think microsoft pretty much answered it in the update. The patent is old and was done in the Kinect 1 era. It also probably has no CURRENT plans to be introduced.

Keep in mind a patent does not mean an intent to produce. It just means you are laying claim to the technology first. So if down the road someone does implement it, microsoft can say "hey we got that patent, gimmie money!"

News Comments > PlanetSide Going F2P
14. Re: PlanetSide Going F2P May 21, 2013, 23:26 JeffD

steam planetside 2 shouldnt be using any different servers then stand alone.  

News Comments > PlanetSide Going F2P
9. Re: PlanetSide Going F2P May 21, 2013, 13:07 JeffD

Huh, yea im not sure the purpose of this either. I last played planet side when I discovered I had 45 days of free time to use on it like 2 weeks before planetside 2 beta was launched, and I was on it so that I could get into the beta. Unfortunately as much as my outfit was still active (lots of new faces of course) it was hard for me to play the game for long. The outdated engine was just getting tiresome, the hit collision system and projectiles that never seem to visualy hit the target.

On the other hand I quickly lost interest in planetside 2. The UI was unnecessarily complex, the cert system was even more restrictive because of classes (and harder to understand. Either have classes, or have certs, not both). Also understanding the map and objectives was more complex. I really didn't see the positive aspect of allowing the enemy to port in to your base and then shield that port in spot.

In other news, Tribes Ascend is really awesome. I just wish I had time to play it, guild wars 2 + new games kind of take it all up.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
10. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 13, 2013, 02:17 JeffD

really? audio latency? Who made this up? No lie, it is a pet peave of mine to notice if there is anything wrong with movie playback. Bad aspect ratios, banding, desynchs, I HATE it. I never goto the movies because theaters always screw something up. An audio delay of any kind in my movies or games I have not noticed. I think someone made it up and a bunch of yes men agreed. -_-

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
4. Re: Windows May 12, 2013, 17:46 JeffD

Your vic20 didn't load an OS from a disc.. it was built into the rom chips. On that note, it was also unreplaceable.

As for windows being slow.. you know..i have an old celeron 1ghz laptop that I have to keep windows xp on because every linux build I tried was just to slow or buggy.

News Comments > "Something's Up at Callofduty.com"
2. Re: Apr 29, 2013, 22:29 JeffD

Next call of duty announcement is imminent. I just did the electronics games reset at Target, we have reserve card peg hooks for both a new call of duty (Just says 2013, which leads me to believe it may be released by Christmas) and battlefield 4.

News Comments > Final Fantasy XIV Gameplay Video
8. Re: Final Fantasy XIV Gameplay Video Apr 19, 2013, 01:47 JeffD

Meh, that was a horrid video. 2 hours of running around vacant citys and battle fields. I didn't see ANYTHING that would pull me into the game even for a few hours.  

News Comments > Tomb Raider Sets Sales Record
14. Re: Tomb Raider Sets Sales Record Mar 30, 2013, 01:18 JeffD

Its a good thing they go this press release out now, because it will be moot by next week when its place is taken by bioshock.  

News Comments > NVIDIA Face Rendering Demoed
19. Re: NVIDIA Face Rendering Demoed Mar 21, 2013, 14:30 JeffD

Quiboid, how many times in the game are you going to need to be this close to the face? This is perfect for talking head close ups, and then lower resolution fall backs can be used in crowds.

Btw NOIR I actually belive was a 3d digitized face. That is, the face was recorded with 3d cameras and so each polygon mesh of the face was determined and pre-recorded. I think it came out pretty good if not just a little uncanny, but the tech use useless for any on the fly animations. Also the texture rendering is half the work of being belivable. It was just awesome here. I noticed they did transluscent scattering on the ear lobes. Anyone else hate how light scattering has been around a few generations now (dx 10?) and no one uses it? They will make all kinds of glass refractions but anything more opaque then glass and they make it a solid.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
6. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 12, 2013, 21:07 JeffD

elder scrolls mmo will be further proof not everyone who makes an rpg should make it into an mmo.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
7. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 27, 2013, 21:42 JeffD

I have 50mbit... I rarly have a need for it, but it is def nice for those times I download my anime. I could care less if it gets faster, I would simply liked to see cheaper.  

News Comments > AMD's Hair-Raising Tech
4. Re: AMD's Hair-Raising Tech Feb 26, 2013, 10:47 JeffD

I think she looks great. And there are 10 million types of aa, you have to be completely anal to want more. That said, this isn't the first time amd tried to go off on their own. They were using tesselation tech long ago in the unreal 2k4 days that worked, but no one cared to support it.

Unfortunately this will prolly fall the same way.. unless its supported on both cards, no one is gonna care enough.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 22, 2013, 19:01 JeffD

The number of non technical terms being thrown at you to describe its power made me want to vomit, I didn't get past the intro.  

News Comments > More Cancelled Aliens RPG Footage
9. Re: More Cancelled Aliens RPG Footage Feb 20, 2013, 11:16 JeffD

Lol... that camera is so painful to watch. But yea it looks bad... I couldn't see alien being turned into an MMO, infact none of the alien games have been real good. I love the movies but there has not been one game I have been interested in even trying out. They really need to look to someone that can ADD alot of creative new content and story to the aliens universe.. there isn't enough existing to work on.  

News Comments > New Unigine Benchmarks
5. Re: Still same issue as any other engine Feb 16, 2013, 13:52 JeffD

I did not find this dissapearing shadow glitch you are seeing. I played with the time setting to get the just after sunrise time period where shadows were on, and in fact what I was seeing was that the mountains wern't casting shadows, just the surface models. This led to long streaks in the grass, only noticeable when shadows were at their longest.

Keep in mind though, every one does this. If anything, this engine does a descent job in ambient light for far off models to show a light side and dark side (I am not sure if it actually renders a true shadow or if it just changes the ambient texture brightness). It is not perfect, but then it is currently impossible to do a full global shadow to everything being rendered and have it be even remotely playable. Much like LOD and culling, shadows have a cut off distance.

Also because current methods of shadows are still pretty fake (rendering a single texture based on a single light source, multiple light sources at once not accepted, overlapping shadows do not change in shadows intensity) they can still be pretty glitchy. I don't know of any engine where shadows are perfect (GTA who does a really good job in global shadows will stop rendering them in flight). And VERY few games offer up dynamic day cycled probably to avoid such things.

Textures are minimal (not low res per say, just not a big variety, it is a tree simulator) but then that wasn't the point of the test, and never is. If a game is losing frames because its loading to many textures, then that is just crappy coding on the games part.

News Comments > New Unigine Benchmarks
1. Re: New Unigine Benchmarks Feb 15, 2013, 15:35 JeffD

Another great benchmark from unigine. What is awesome about this benchmark is that the cpu process is perfectly balances and multithreaded, so I can see the true power of my 460gtx despite my aging q6600 processor. None of the cores went above %50 so I know my frame rate was entirely in my graphics cards hands. It is hard to benchmark on video games these days because of their poor cpu threading being the bottleneck.  

245 Comments. 13 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo