Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JeffD

Real Name JeffD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 31, 2005, 00:01
Total Comments 259 (Amateur)
User ID 23570

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

News Comments > 2013's Top Free-to-Play Games
13. Re: 2013's Top Free-to-Play Games Jan 20, 2014, 11:02 JeffD

some interesting names to be sure. WoW is technically NOT a free to play game, it has an unlimited trial up to level 20. AFAIK you still need a boxed copy + subscription to go beyond that.

Star wars is interesting, I guess its title is still a big draw in itself and the f2p aspect helps, and most people will tell you that the XP hit in the f2p model is so bad it really drives you to subscribe. Apparently it is a working model.

Was hoping to see if there were more names on the list but their website is down.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 11, 2014, 00:50 JeffD

And all 1 million of those sales were just from people who have a crush on ellen page, not from anyone expecting an actual game.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 10, 2014, 00:07 JeffD

jdrey, not surprising, I never lend out my dvd-rw's cause they are so soft. Need to take care of your dvd's and they will take care of you.

I'm in the same boat, there is a vcr in my house, and it may be plugged in, but it never gets used. Kind of a useless factoid.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 9, 2014, 23:55 JeffD

And saddly anyone can write an article without knowing what they are talking about.

Adding buttons to iOS games is pointless, they are games designed for touchscreen. Adding buttons for games that use buttons from older generations on the iOS is mandatory. Being able to rest your fingers on the buttons increases precision by such a huge factor, and with emulation being a popular subject on portables, devices like these will always be in demand.

News Comments > SOE Premium Membership Changes
20. Re: SOE Premium Membership Changes Jan 5, 2014, 17:15 JeffD

Vete;

#1 invalidated the first half of your post by the fact that most items that are not easy to grind certs for, ie 750 and 1000 cert items, were also not affordable with 500SC. Now subscribers can purchase one expensive weapons a month, where before they either needed to wait for a sale, or saved up TWO months of SC.

#2 SOME bases got the wall treatment, right now there is a good mix of bases that are very defensible and some that have very little. I kind of like this approach as it makes fights more random (the name of the base means more then just what type it is) and also puts more pressure on the armor game.

I haven't really seen any purposeful tunneling abuse (btw I run with azure twilight, a super organised outfit that has been running since PS1 days), things are quite organic. Open area flat planes have plenty of access routed while mountains and rocky terrain are a lot more tunnel visioned because the only paths are the paths created for vehicles, much like ANY industrialized terrain.

I feel for armor drivers on the vehicle control and flip issues, unfortunately no 3d engine that exist has perfected it and each and every one of them with vehicles exhibit erratic physics at some point in time.

#3 I do miss the natural water barriers from PS2, it really brought out the VS hover powers. On the other hand that probably was also way to much of a faction perk. You will notice VS MAX no longer has a jet pack, allowing us to perch ourselves in high places was just too overpowered. We still go more continents to bring over from PS1 so I think we will finally see a water based one.

15. Re: SOE Premium Membership Changes Jan 4, 2014, 23:17 JeffD

I am not sure where you are coming with this idea that ps2 is gonna die out... its a FPS..Good FPS games don't die out! Tribes 2/ascend, Teamfortress 2, counter strike, all old franchises that still have people playing today. If you had ANY idea what has been going on in the past 2 months you would have realized there has been no new content because of game optimizations. Now they are close to rolling out the PS4 version, there will most def be new content. They have already started doing new balance passes like the nanoweave nerf which while sucks, does put it on the same level as all the other armors.

Ps2 will always be a game I go back to because it does not require that I keep doing dailies.. raiding for gear, or even level up.

13. Re: SOE Premium Membership Changes Jan 4, 2014, 20:53 JeffD

Warmblue, I wouldn't consider the 2x/3x SC sales a success. It was probably a quick attempt to get interest generated in the game but when I hear about how many people now have more sc then they know what do do with from those sales, that does not sound like a successful move that they would want to repeat again. Hence the % off sales.

Don't forget too, SC is not just planetside 2. more 2x/3x sales cheapens the value of SC over all SOE games.

Reagle, just die. Throw your computer in the trash and never speak again.

8. Re: SOE Premium Membership Changes Jan 4, 2014, 19:21 JeffD

nothing more then 2k.. and since it sounds like they intend to put limitations in, I bet the guns that are 1-2k SC and only purchasable by SC are not going to be allowed to unlock by the subscriber ability.

And those 2k weapons are nothing special, just another family of machine guns with their perks and flaws.

6. Re: SOE Premium Membership Changes Jan 4, 2014, 15:27 JeffD

Ozmodan wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 14:09:
Additional value. LOL! Instead of allowing you to use your station cash as you please they are being magnanimous and giving you choice of ONE item? Sounds like a huge downgrade if you ask me.

Way to stick it to your playerbase SOE!

It is great in some ways, and not so great in others, it depends on if you are a person who takes advantage of deals of the day. For the impatient joe, this is a good thing because many items cost more then 500sc, especially if you restricting yourself to 1000 cert weapons and cosmetic stuff (Spending SC on 250cert gear is just stupid). So in this case you could get 3 items where under the old system you would only see 2, and you wold need to wait for the second and third month.

On the other hand if you were like me and only purchased things when they were on sale %50 off, you could net a number of items, more than 3 in some cases. This really came to fruit when I had about 2k sc saved up just from the monthlies and for Christmas they had different sets of weapons and gear %50 each day, and each day one item was only 1sc. Under the new system only people who paid cash for SC upfront would be able to take advantage of the sales. It really separates the subscribers and the SC purchases up even more.

Also SC is not limited to planetside, so it effectively keeping planetside's money out of other games like the upcoming Everquest NEXT.

News Comments > On Sale (2)
19. Re: On Sale (2) Jan 3, 2014, 04:27 JeffD

Acleacius wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 20:36:
I thought Rift servers got turned off.

Rift has been free to play for many months now, and is doing pretty good. There has been a quite a few patches consisting of new content, balance updates, and holiday content for the in game store. I picked it up recently and quite enjoy it as it satisfies my WoW itch, something I have stopped paying for since winter 2011. I think I can safely sum up Rift as a Pre 3.0 patch WoW, with all the bloated talent trees and armor stats you can mix and match. There is plenty of dungeons, solo content, and raids although not nearly added at the speeds blizzard has been.

Buying the game at $6.99 is actually great because you not only get a free month ($15 value) of patron status, but bag slot and character slot unlocks that normally cost well over $20 from the in game store. If only they sold the expansion too. These disc copies have been out of production for like half a year now, with all the "perks" of buying them moved to purchasables from the in game store.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
6. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 29, 2013, 16:02 JeffD

Not just steam OS, they need to make linux dualboot a kind of standard. We NEED user friendly versions of these operating systems with program install methods that do not fail! Most popular builds today offer painless program installers but the moment that installer fails to install something, the technical knowledge required to troubleshoot it increases by 10 fold.

Android dualboot is kinda.. nah. Having android on a stick you can plugin to TVs is cool.. having it on my clunky PC not so much. And the games arn't there. That is the key factor in steam OS that might make it successful, game support! If you can create an alternate OS where all the games be.. you have a good chance of pulling people who spend money on PCs away from MS.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 25, 2013, 19:02 JeffD

Actiontrips awards were kinda...meh. It is understandable to be disappointed with some of the genres.. but their rant on MMO's was completely missing the mark.

We don't NEED new MMORPGs each year. We invest in a lot of time and money in the ones we like and we would rather not have to start from scratch. Instead MMO awards need to take in the additional content that current MMOs have added to keep the game exciting still. In the past 6 months we have seen the leaders of the free2play charge step foward and things are looking good.

Warcraft is still..warcraft and Guild Wars 2 is going full steam ahead with their monthly living quest additions although no real improvements to dungeons, raiding, and end game gear.

On the F2P front the old republic has added a few content packs although continues to get flak for its %50 xp penalties for freeplay mode. Rift is doing quite well as the true free 2 play version of WoW with lots of small content added (store merchandise like dimensions, dungions, additional adventure zones) and cross faction/server implementations to adjust to any low pop zones.

Planetside 2 just finished up a large part of their game optimizations for the upcoming PS4 port and now runs like a commercial game should and is back to work on class balances and will continue to role on new content later (although we may not see it until after the PS4 reelase).

There are quite a number of others that are holding their own numbers like Conan, LOTR, EQ2, D&D, and Never winter although are have not been so active from the developer standpoint. TERA was pretty popular but a recent difficulty nerf to one of its iconic features caused a number of people to vacate.

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
2. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Dec 23, 2013, 12:49 JeffD

as if Christmas sales on games mean anything, nothing good came out this Christmas, all the good games have already been bought.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 18, 2013, 21:57 JeffD

Guide Step 1: Convince game makers to release linux ports.

Still waiting on that one.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 18, 2013, 21:56 JeffD

I dont think this is it, but I am expecting any day for bitcoin to crash off the face of the earth. I am expecting some kind of exploit hack to create bitcoins to be the smoking gun, although I don't expect to many people will be happy that bitcoin has droped %50 in 6 months.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VIII
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VIII Dec 5, 2013, 21:25 JeffD

Be prepared.... prepared to spend %40 of your time battling trash mobs so you can stock up on heals. Prepared to try and understand final fantasies most complex and worse elemental stat system. Prepared for the worst storyline involving time travel..ish.. storylines.. ever told.

Wonder if its as bad of a copy over port that the steam ff7 was.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
6. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Dec 1, 2013, 17:22 JeffD

Rocktar already unveiled the PAID source of the image, the models name is Shelby Welinder.

You get NOTHING! You LOSE! Good day sir!

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Nov 30, 2013, 15:01 JeffD

Ozmo, please tell me you did not just say that. That is exactly %100 of what bill gates thought when he said why would you need more than 640k memory. You can't think of not supporting something just because the reason to do it does not exhist. Thats like saying why make 3d cards on pc when no 3d games that use it exhist. Or why make VGA graphic cards when all the software and image formats out there only run EGA colors.  

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Nov 24, 2013, 14:53 JeffD

Free cheat codes are being replaced by pay cheat codes.. another reason I'll pass on console games. Trainers bitch.  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
3. Re: Sunday Metaverse Nov 17, 2013, 17:36 JeffD

fantaz, unfortunatly the amount of cpu/gpu time to mine a coin has gotten really long. You would likely be spending as much money powering the computer as well as increasing your AC bill if you tried to use idle cycles on a high end computer. There is some money in building a setup that uses hardware addons that specifically are for mining bitcoins.

IMO however bitcoins are a lottery, not a legit form of money. Bitcoins are manufactured, money is not. Bitcoins are obtained from doing no real work, the computations the computers do are thrown out and thus MAKE no actual money. Money is obtained in real work when you do a service or produce a product that you then sell.

Bitcoin is waiting.. waiting for that one day that a viral report of a hack comes through (I say viral, it can be just a half hack or minor exploit, but the right news story could do just as much damage) enough to cause a huge sell off and the lottery will be over, the fastest sellers will be the winners.

259 Comments. 13 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo