Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JeffD

Real Name JeffD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 31, 2005, 00:01
Total Comments 252 (Amateur)
User ID 23570

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 22, 2012, 13:55 JeffD

lol... trespass by radio waves... id like to see someone enforce that. "God vs Jessie in the case of cosmic radio waves invading defendants property"  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Old Republic F2P This Fall
9. Re: The Old Republic F2P This Fall Jul 31, 2012, 17:19 JeffD

No, I think a lot of people asked for it. Although I am sure a lot of people were up in arms after the turd SOE laid too. The problem is just like pretty much every other game out there trying to kill wow, they want to do it as cheap and easy as possible. In order to phase wow, you need to do 5 things;

1) Release a complete game that offers content up to max level and another tier of content for those at max level.

2) You need to release content at regular intervals. essentially the first release of the game should be equivilant to wow +1 expansion, so after release and the first tier of end game they need to release a new tier with additional max level content every 3-4 months.

3) Constantly refine your game. In the first several years of WoW, they spend unimaginable amounts of time tweaking in live.. no one gets it right the first try so you need to fix things asap.

4) Stay with your game. I felt that blizzard went from a stand alone game maker to being nothing more then the dev team for WoW for half a decade. They did nothing but command wow for 5 years! Bioware did nothing of the sort, they continued making more pc games and removed resources from TOR.

5) Beta test, beta test, beta test! You know how much new content WoW got in beta that wasn't originally planned? or how many ideas that were planned and implemented got removed because after 2 years of people playing it, it really just didn't pan out? The two most successful MMORPGs, EQ and WoW, had 2 year beta cycles. You can't tell me that wasn't the bulk of their success.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2012, 15:18 JeffD

the batman infographic is like, not even attempting to be accurate. 600 million for the manor? 50k grappling launchers? $250 encrypted memory sticks?!?! The small arms sections is hilariously overpriced.  

News Comments > RuneScape Claims 200M Accounts
2. Re: RuneScape Claims 200M Accounts Jul 19, 2012, 14:30 JeffD

well being free to play, I am sure alot of people had tried it at some point or another too. I know I have feigned interest but haven't really pulled the trigger, to many other games to play still. However I can guarentee you the number of active players is pretty low.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
22. Same day? not in my life time Jul 12, 2012, 14:29 JeffD

The thing people seem to be forgetting is, we can DO next day air because UPS and USPS and fedex all do it. Amazon does no shipping of their own. NONE of these guys do same day shipping, nore are they set up to do it. The only way amazon could do same day shipping is if you lived like 30 minutes from the warehouse in which it would be doable to manage a fleet of vans to do local deliverys by amazon.  

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
4. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jul 8, 2012, 23:27 JeffD

re purpose your ipad? I would prolly pay money for an ipad 1 if it was cheap enough. It was no slouch in hardware.
Even games wise pretty much every app on the store runs on it, and its still an awesome screen to web browse and run movies on.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY VII Remake Plans
32. Re: FINAL FANTASY VII Remake Plans Jul 4, 2012, 19:03 JeffD

from what I have seen and what I have read, chrono cross is still one of the best JRPG games as long as you ignore its non exhistant link to trigger.  

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY VII Remake Plans
26. Re: FINAL FANTASY VII Remake Plans Jul 4, 2012, 16:43 JeffD

FF8 definetly gets my grab for worst final fantasy. 7 ranks high but obviously the fighting engine is in experimental stages because of the number of unintended materia matchups. At least however the materia system was pretty easy to grasp.

That said.. no way no how, I ain't toching it. No real strong desire to replay it until they remake it with no graphics and remastered sound. Judging from the downvotes on the youtube clip, I am not alone.

News Comments > Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details
1. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 14, 2012, 21:25 JeffD

From the looks of it, no one is playing early. It will be activated midnight PDT, so everyone can do the math to find out what 12:00 PDT is for your time zone. This does indeed mean japan will be waiting till mid day to play diablo 3.

now I need to go sleep.

News Comments > It's TERA Time
15. Re: It's TERA Time May 4, 2012, 00:13 JeffD

Well with the wow expansion lined up.. diablo 3 allready purchased and around the corner, tribes ascend, and guild wars 2 when it comes out... yea.. I might fit this game in when it goes free to play.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization May 2, 2012, 13:51 JeffD

If EA goes through with this, their portable market will die, their downloadable market will die, and they will probably be sued out the ass.

All works for me.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Apr 23, 2012, 03:16 JeffD

more three?  

News Comments > Diablo III Beta Open to All Battle.net Accounts?
37. Re: Diablo III Beta Open to All Battle.net Accounts? Apr 18, 2012, 14:31 JeffD

My account settings still only show the diablo 3 production release, no beta access. :/  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 13, 2012, 16:24 JeffD

I laughed when I read that report about most popular monitor resolution. That is like saying the most popular 3d accelerator is intels GMA2000. Thats cause the number of crap utility PCs in the world far outnumber gaming PCs. 1366x may be the resolution of choice for bottom of the line OEM monitors and laptops, but that doesn't mean anyone enjoys that resolution.  

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Bullet Time Trailer
3. Re: Max Payne 3 Bullet Time Trailer Apr 13, 2012, 16:21 JeffD

I dunno, in the end the pc version is still the best gta4. Also the dot was targeting heads no more then a few pixels big, it was probably all done on a pc with mouse so that bolds well for us.

Also in the end it will come down to I wont touch a controller for a shooter. You can keep your gay assed auto aim.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2012, 20:04 JeffD

Beamer, pretty much all of the big stores can lookup receipts using the card at hand. We can just scan the card and then start scanning items to locate if the card was used to purchase it.

Cutter, never was asked for a phone number. I would probably ask to pass or put a fake one in cause my cell phone has a limited number of minutes. The problem with saying you don't have id is there is a good chance they will deny the return.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2012, 11:24 JeffD

They don't scan your license for purchases, they scan them for returns. Big difference. I work at target and know how they feel. target only scans your license for returns that have no receipt, we essentially give you a line of like $60 of forgiveness per year per license. If you have the receipt, its pretty much a no questions needed (we ask, but generic answers work) return policy.

In the case in the article, it looked like the guy did several returns and exchanges over Christmas, imo if you are that anal about buying your crap, don't buy it at an expensive electronics store. Pretty much if you return it, it no longer looks new and we need to repackage it or salvage it. Some electronics get returned but it's still a loss. And taking a loss because the customer is stupid is unfair to us. Worse yet if the guest is trying to scam us.

IMO, take it or leave it. best buy may store your personal info but its being done by a 3rd party that is structured around credit and information securities so I would feel safe. Target's return desk I am not sure where it stores your info, we probably do it with a bank. I am fairly certain though that when we scan licenses on the lanes for over 21+ items, nothing is stored. I haven't come across hearing about any other 3rd party software ours is interacting with at the time, and it is never used to deny someone from something, ie we never get a response back saying this guy bought too much beer or that he has been trespassed. It just looks at the age value inside the barcode.

I was kind of surprised that its legal to say no to valid returns though. Afaik state law is usually at least 15 days under lemon policies?

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 4, 2012, 05:20 JeffD

to be fair, and if you rename privacy policies to EULA's and call them as they are, the reason they are so huge is because we are such a bunch of litigious bastards who will sue you in a moments notice. If taking people to court wasn't so damn easy, then maybe they could loosen up their wording.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 3, 2012, 17:12 JeffD

Angry birds is a bad example. it had no marketing, it was released and THEN the hype started up. Now all its marketing money is from money it has allready made.

It really does seem though that most of a games budget is all on advertising.

Game cost will baloon to as much as the author wants it too. Texture sources usualy start out high, models can take abit more development time. Animation has actually become easier because physics and 3d engines are now able to adjust them on the fly so many little animations done in the past can now be tweened by the engine on the fly. Also motion capture is getting easier and easier to do.

Level design does get more intense, but this really isn't a hardware limitation, and more to do with the artistic vision of the set piece being done.

As far as game cost have come... we are still paying 60 bucks and they still make crappy games. some things never change.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Next-gen consoles mean increased development costs, this is a repeat Apr 3, 2012, 12:58 JeffD

I've heard this exact same headline for when the ps2 came out, the ps3, and now the ps4 generation. However in todays world it could never be more false.

Anyone who knows how model or texture worth a shit will do so at a high detail to begin with. You don't know what hardware the game will end up on and starting low will make it suck. Downsizing both models and textures couldn't be more easier, and dx11 hardware is more then ready to do the job FOR you.

The jump from ps2/xbox to the 3/360 gen was pretty big and developers really needed to learn how to go all out on quality textures and models, but at the same time the development tech to build these things at higher polys and higher resolutions was made available and easier.

252 Comments. 13 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo