Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lorcin

Real Name Lorcin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Lorcin
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 28, 2005, 12:16
Total Comments 1021 (Pro)
User ID 23558

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > NVIDIA on PC Exclusive Games
71. Re: PC Gaming Jun 10, 2008, 19:29 Lorcin

Even if a completely infallible protection scheme pops up, games will still be multiplatform and designed for the consoles. More effective protection schemes only means the PC gets more ports, not original, exclusive games.

Surely that is more down to spiralling development costs and publishers needing to hit the biggest audience they can.

There are still some small low budget games being made for the PC but they either niche with laughable graphics compared to the big guns. Or casual (enough said).

There are 3 games in the top 20 xbox 360 games listed on gamerankings which are actually exclusive (and Halo 3 will come to PCs with windows 7 I bet). 5 on the Playstation, 13 on the Wii and 8 on the PC.

So really we could actually be doing worse for exclusives

Edit: Oh and the PC is the only platform with all 20 games scoring an average >90% (actually it has 41 >90%, the PS3 has 4 which are >90% are none of thoose are exclusive)

This comment was edited on Jun 10, 19:39.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

64. Re: PC Gaming Jun 10, 2008, 18:55 Lorcin

that is what i was thinking about copy protection on consoles. every time there is an opportunity to inject code into a system the chances of circumventing copy protection increases. it has been demonstrated that you can mod previous generation consoles just by loading a disk or memory card. profit and greed will make it too irresistible for console manufacturers not to provide modular upgrades and accessories which are avenues for mods and cracks.

I would agree except arguably the most complex current gen console has not been hacked. Simply if the proctection is built into the CPU design and runs from there across the whole system from boot then mods would be far harder to find. With the new 8+ core processers which have god knows how many pins inserted into god knows how many layered PCBs it would be like looking for a whole bunch of needles in a haystack.

Imagine the xbox's cpu checked the firmware version on the DVD and shut down if it was found to be tampered with. All of a sudden teenagers would not be able to hack an xbox in seconds. I've no doubt microsoft will learn from there mistakes and produce something a bit stonger next time.

As for pc games - the bioshock/mass effect systems are showing promise. Bioshock took a week to crack and Mass Effect took two weeks before it was properly done (and that included attempts by ALL of the big pirate groups to do it).

Once companies realise that online activation and verification are the only workable solutions then that will become mandatory. Then we'll suddenly all get games the way Metaboli/Gametap deliver them; completely encrypted until a online verification has delivered the unencryption key for that serial number. Once the player hits quit the game instantly returns to a encrypted state. I haven't investigated exactly what metaboli is doing too much on my PC - but I do there is a semi-hidden X drive which appears when I'm authorised which contains the games file structure. The only reason I know that is because one game has an import/export facility which show's the drive. Dos/explorer etc still couldn't access it even when it was showing in the imp/export application.

I'm sure people will bitch about privacy - but as the devolpers seem to think this is a war then at some point they will eventually count the online complainers as acceptable losses.

This comment was edited on Jun 10, 18:59.

21. Re: Rampant piracy Jun 10, 2008, 13:55 Lorcin

The next-gen consoles may actually be a problem for PCs. If Sony can make there current gen hack proof then surely Nintendo and Microsoft (well maybe not them) will learn how to add adequate protection too.

If piracy is eliminated on the consoles then I imagine more studios would jump away from PCs.

At the moment it's nearly a level playing field with 2 of the 3 big consoles and both handhelds having piracy problems too.

7. Re: What a tool Jun 10, 2008, 12:38 Lorcin

Crysis didn't pander at all and look what happened to it..

Don't forget that if crysis had looked like a normal game it would have struggled to reach an average 80% review.

Couple that with the huge system reqs and a well deserved reputation for needing a beast of a PC and really it's sales are not that surprissing.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Ultra-Bundle
20. Re: .... Jun 6, 2008, 14:41 Lorcin

Yup uk spellings - btw it's handy to know the US and UK spelling for games like bookworm which accept both  

News Comments > Fallout 3 Ultra-Bundle
8. Re: No subject Jun 6, 2008, 11:32 Lorcin

Guess their aiming this at people who bought lifetime subscriptions to LOTRO or *snigger* hellgate.

For that price I'd want at least a box containing a small radioactive cloud which I could use to mutate a co-worker.

News Comments > Dungeon Siege 3 Plans
4. Re: No subject Jun 6, 2008, 11:29 Lorcin

I definatly would want to see a demo of this - I hated all the inventory management in DS1 and 2. I seemed to spend more time in the inventory window moving stuff around then actually playing the game.  

News Comments > BioShock - The Trilogy
22. Re: Dude.... Jun 6, 2008, 07:21 Lorcin

They could set it in an experimental homeostatic chamber located in Arizona and call it Biodome!

Would the kids be the bastard offspring of Pauley Shore and Stephen Baldwin?

If so there's no moral dillema there KILL EM ALL!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115683/ (in case your lucky enough to not remember it)

News Comments > The Sims 2 Expansion Announced
6. Re: The Sims Jun 5, 2008, 12:18 Lorcin

Hmmm guildford is only about 100 miles from here - if you lot start a collection I'll go deal with this once and for all.  

News Comments > Warhammer Online Crafting Details
1. No subject May 29, 2008, 10:28 Lorcin

ďThe crafting system Iíve envisioned for WAR is innovative......

Envisioned???? Sure it should be implemented by now - the game's already late.

News Comments > Prince of Persia Details & Trailer
6. Re: No subject May 28, 2008, 17:43 Lorcin

That trailer looks poo!

They seem to have forgotten platforming completely and instead gone the sonic route of introducing new buddies. I'm really hopeing it's just a bad trailer.

News Comments > id Leaves the ESA
4. Re: Game developers must REALLY May 23, 2008, 20:14 Lorcin

I imagine it would be far cheaper for the companies to get a government administered certificate then for the companies to all pay for ESA.

For their point of view their saving money - just costing taxpayers more.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: No subject May 20, 2008, 13:19 Lorcin

I took my 3 kids to see Speed Racer the other night and all 3 of them loved. I certainly enjoyed it a lot more then your average movie aimed at kids (last few we saw included Garfield 2 and Enchanted - they both made me want to gouge out my eyeballs).

Even my very girly 7 year old who still likes Barbie movies enjoyed it.

If you've got kids I'd definatly recommend it. If you're a fan it's also probably worth a look - I doubt the race sequences would work on a TV.

News Comments > EA on ESA Departures
4. Re: No subject May 19, 2008, 15:02 Lorcin

What policy issues?

Not releasing the same game year after year just with updated stats...oh wait.

Not turning consumers away from PC gaming with dodgy DRM setups...erm hang on.

Paying your workers for the work they do...oh just a sec.

Trying to promote a healthy market place by not buying ever single competetor and developer you can...honestly I'll get something in a min.

Not stagnating the market by turning at least 25% of all PC games shelf space into just room for expansion packs for 1 game...erm help!

Seriously exactly who do EA expect to agree with their policies????

News Comments > Project Origin Movies
12. Re: No subject May 19, 2008, 08:05 Lorcin

I kinda liked the mech bit - these are the people who did shogo after all.

As for the recharging healthbar and curvy hud well to be honest they both suck.

News Comments > WoW Graphics Reboot Coming?
37. Re: WOW Graphics May 16, 2008, 19:51 Lorcin

Some additional options to increase graphical quality would be great for those of us with modern machines.

Erm I have no idea what your running but my q6600 PC with a 8800GT still drops a LOT in the major cities.

News Comments > Gold - Mass Effect
10. Re: Cool May 16, 2008, 16:56 Lorcin

I thought the song was black and gold?

(wtf is black and gold anyway - never did get that for a title)

==========================================================
Ultimate geek nightmare? It's not Darth Vader telling you his your father. It's Derek Smart.

News Comments > LEGO Indiana Jones Demo
4. Re: Woot! May 13, 2008, 14:53 Lorcin

Very much of the same - but thats really not a bad thing!

Ultimate geek nightmare? It's not Darth Vader telling you his your father. It's Derek Smart.

News Comments > PC Burnout Paradise
31. Re: Awesome May 10, 2008, 04:35 Lorcin

so why the fuck are you saying it doesn't work in an open city environment without having even played it?

Because I'm smart enough to marry burnout's gameplay and an open city enviroment in my mind and know it's not a very good idea.

Strangely I've never tried pushing a 4 inch nail up my nose but I know that's not for me either.

News Comments > PC Burnout Paradise
27. Re: Awesome May 9, 2008, 20:36 Lorcin

Hmm this thread has been bugging me and I think it's purely the idea of burnout in an open enviroment that is the problem. Seriously with no shadow of a doubt I LOVE burnout 1 and 2; I even bought them both on two different consoles (not at the same time).

Burnout Dominator leaves me completely cold for some reason on both PS2 and PSP - it might be the inclusion of two many American muscles cars.

With paradise now promising an "open" world I think I'll skip it and play the earlier ones instead.

BTW to the people who think that open city with no pedestrians is fun - seriously what would you rather play, Test Drive Unlimited or GTA.

If you have a city everyone will want to interact with that city and therefore it's denizens (case in point freelancer - I would have loved to get more of a feel for the basses/planets rather then what amounted to the worst menu system in history).

When you remove the people from a city what are really left with is a race track designed by 3 year olds. "Your guess is as good as mine where we're going - little tommy drew this section of earth."

Basically if they want a racer they should build one - if they want a city roamer then burnout does NOT fit. I find test drive unlimited very bland and it suffers from the massive problem the recent NFS games have; namely a huge dose of filler. These open world games may sould great on paper but in reality the openess is only to make the player drive for a long time between races thereby massively increasing the gametime.

EDIT: Can't you just imagine Jack Thompson on this btw? "Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury this game from it's very name wishes to BURN OUT PARADISE. 'Tis the work of the devil and should be banned forthwith.

This comment was edited on May 9, 20:41.

1021 Comments. 52 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo