Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lorcin

Real Name Lorcin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Lorcin
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 28, 2005, 12:16
Total Comments 1046 (Pro)
User ID 23558

User comment history
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

News Comments > Final Fantasy XI Lawsuit
11. Re: Final Fantasy XI Lawsuit Jun 25, 2009, 15:08 Lorcin

Congratulations on not reading the thread or article.

Yup sure I didn't read:

LOS ANGELES (CN) - A federal class action claims that online gaming company Square Enix of America deceived 100,000 customers by not being upfront about fees and penalties.
Named plaintiff Esther Leong of San Francisco says that Washington-based Square Enix lied about or concealed its monthly fees, penalties for late payments, interest, restrictions, and other things that should have been fully disclosed at points of purchase.
The class seeks damages of more than $5 million, alleging unfair business practices, false advertising, and unjust enrichment. It is represented by Ronald Makarem and
Michael Kim

Which is the entire article. The very first thing listed is monthly fees. Your not one of the plantiffs by any chance are you???

Oh I must confessed I didn't read the 13 page PDF in leagalise - I tried, but found myself compelled to scroll to the bottom and hit the accept button

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 2009, 15:10.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Final Fantasy XI Lawsuit
7. Re: Final Fantasy XI Lawsuit Jun 25, 2009, 12:43 Lorcin

Jesus how sue happy do people want to be? Pretending ignorance that an MMO needs a subscription is just dumb. Unfortunatly due to the seriously messed up attitude of the world these people may actually be able to win the case when their basically saying "I'm really stupid so give me money".

Square should counter-sue based on the fact that if the plantiffs are intelligent enough to realise they may have a case then they are obviously smart enough to know it is subscription based anyway.

Also I'm sure it says online fees apply on the box giving fair warning as far as I'm concerned (I can't actually be bothered to go dig through and find a 7 year old game box though).

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Ghostbusters
27. Re: Ships Ahoy - Ghostbusters Jun 16, 2009, 15:55 Lorcin

You know, the program that I legally own that came with my burner for doing legal things like making copies of data CDs and such? Yeah, that doesn't work if I play a game with Securom.

OK so it doesn't work with Nero, Alchohol etc - they contain virtual disk emulators. I'd hardly say it's unreasonable that anti-piracy software doesn't like software which can and is regularly used to make copies of games.

As for copying datadiscs - the OS can do that or imgburn does it brilliantly for free. Yes it came with the burner and you own it but you must be able to see that it contains features which cause game makers concern. Show the publishers some respect for wanting to protect their investment and change your burning software or give up gaming.

Whatever the way I just wish everybody would stop bitching about this completly overblown non-issue.

22. Re: Ships Ahoy - Ghostbusters Jun 16, 2009, 15:26 Lorcin

If you had actually read anything about the subject at all, you'd know that numerous companies have had their support lines swamped with people who ran out of activations for a game, etc.

Seriously?

Swamped with people so unlucky that their systems have crashed so completly and utterly that they couldn't use the activation revocation tools on 5 different occasions.

Or swamped with idiots who haven't realised they need to use the revoke tool after they installed it on their's nans, friends, pet chimpanzee's computer.

XP has activation limits too - or wait I guess you must use linux as obviously you'd never use software with activation limits.

15. Re: Ships Ahoy - Ghostbusters Jun 16, 2009, 13:39 Lorcin

I'm still waiting to see all these problems DRM causes. I've only heard "friend of a friend" style urban myths that it has caused any actual problems in the past couple of years.

Everytime a game comes out with DRM the same idiots on here scream "WAAH DRM YOU JUST LOST A SALE". Personally if I were to release a game I'd make damn sure it was full of DRM to get rid of twats like that before they started bitching about every other little thing - "OH NOES IT NEEDS DIRECTX U JUST LOST SALES".

This comment was edited on Jun 16, 2009, 13:42.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue May 30, 2009, 16:57 Lorcin

That's horrible Blue - my mum went in October, I still haven't been brave enough to go back to the grave (doesn't help they then burried Jade Bloody goody in the same place).

By the way just to prove the UK does have some common sense - Susan Boyle just LOST the final of Britains Got Talent. (Diversity a dance group won)

News Comments > Goodbye from 3D Realms
58. Re: Goodbye from 3D Realms May 9, 2009, 23:29 Lorcin

Can I go out on a limb and say "bothered".

The game was gonna suck anyway - we all knew it would and we were all waiting to slag it off. I'm not meaning to be rude to the developers but I can't think of anything I've waiting for 10+ years which was actually worth it.

I honestly believe there now needs to be a leak of what they did have - like a more complete HL2 alpha leak. Firstly to give the fans something (which knowing the PC ubernerds would end up completed in 6 months) and more importantly to prove to any prospective employers that they were actually doing something for the last decade.

News Comments > Games that Smell
10. Re: Games that Smell Apr 26, 2009, 19:49 Lorcin

I've played WAY to many sewer levels to want this. In contrast I can name very few levels I've played set in a nice garden or salma hayek's clevage which I would actually like to smell.  

News Comments > Assault on Dark Athena DRM Backlash
18. Re: Assault on Dark Athena DRM Backlash Apr 9, 2009, 12:51 Lorcin

We implement this protection in an effort to avoid early piracy

lol well they succeded there: kinda - it seems it didn't get cracked early. Of course it did get done the next day (yesterday) BEFORE Atari said it was DRMed to avoid early piracy.

As normal the DRM is just stupid - it's stopping people buying the PC version and the actual only early release of the game seems to have been on the 360 anyway. A quick check seems to show 3 times the amount of downloads on the 360 vs PC as well, I guess the only way the developers will be happy is if everything only comes out for the uncrackable PS3. Oh. Wait.....

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
15. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 31, 2009, 13:01 Lorcin

job with no interview, no boss, no quotas, no contract and no recourse if I do it drunk, stoned or decide to roundly abuse stupid customers?

Sod they low pay - bring it on. It's work heaven!

News Comments > PC & Mac Guitar Hero: World Tour
9. Re: PC & Mac Guitar Hero: World Tour Mar 25, 2009, 20:33 Lorcin

Hmmm I like the guitar hero controllers but tbh I'm none too keen on the games style - and the virtulisations of people just look plain wrong! I'ts as if the skin has been dripped over the skull from melted wax; billy corden (sp?) is the worst instance of this - he looks like his had chemo and is wearing a bacofoil skirt.

Rock Band's interface and game as a whole is far more PC friendly - but tbh I don't really care either as we own both on the 360 (still nothing funnier than watching your 8 year old girl scream out Iron Maiden!)

Oh and who the hell is Zack Wylde - and why does he look so much like the dwarf off the cover of WoW????

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Wheelman
5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Wheelman Mar 25, 2009, 20:27 Lorcin

Why? I've never actually had a problem with Ubisoft and would rather see 100 prince's of persia and 100 raymans' before I ever even sniff a Sims expansion.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue - Whiny speakers Mar 24, 2009, 14:49 Lorcin

Oww I know what you mean - my daughter got a fish tank a few weeks ago and it's actually noisier then my PC. It constently sounds like someone in the room is having a wee - and it is pure torture whilst trying to watch a film after a beer or 10!  

News Comments > Wolfenstein Trailer
32. Re: Wolfenstein Trailer Mar 22, 2009, 00:01 Lorcin

And since consoles are now poor man's PCs and the target of every developer on the planet, we're probably rather stuck with 2005's texture detail level until new consoles with gigs of RAM.

Is that really a bad thing though? Suddenly the race on the pc is ended - I know my current PC (which is about a year old) is already 1 and nearly 2 "generations" behind in terms of PC GFX. But I also know it can play ANY console port from the current gen of consoles at the res I want with all the bells and whistles turned on.

Maybe now the push for shinier and better graphics has effectively been stamped on by the consoles technical specification rigidity developers could actually go back to trying to make games with better quality.

Nobody fussed about the technical advancement in graphics on the C64 or NES but recently PC gaming had become a case of spending more money on tech than games to get the newest games to look as good as possible. Personally if the multi-platform environment means PC tech can mature and actually represent value for money I'll be more than happy.

Not every game is Crysis - and for that I really am grateful; I'd rather play Dungeon Master any day.

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 2009, 00:04.

28. Re: Wolfenstein Trailer Mar 21, 2009, 23:04 Lorcin

or am I just missing the point here.

no insult intended but I think you are. The marketing guys decide when the number of the engine changes but yes in effect we are still playing the original quake/unreal engines just modified to the point where they are practically unrecognisable - ala Pamela Anderson.

Make no mistake the ID engine was never as strong outdoors as Unreal. However saying that this game is going to look dated just because this game is 'based' on the Doom 3 engine is very akin to claiming that the new Riddick game will owe nothing to Pitch Black.

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 2009, 23:08.

25. Re: Wolfenstein Trailer Mar 21, 2009, 22:14 Lorcin

it just feels like Wolfenstein with some things tacked on

Is that bad? I love Wolfenstein even though I won't, for some weird messed up moral reasons, play any "realistic" WWII shooter. The joy for me deeply involves the fact the zombie/arcane elements are merged into the more mundane aspects without a great hoo-ha. The zombies, modern-warfare elements tend to be blended in such a way as too not make you question whether this was actually what happened but was obviously from the get go meant to be a game.

Every other WWII game seems to portray one single person as the sole winner of WWII (and normally his American to add insult to injury). Wolfenstein throws zombies, magic and god knows what else into the mix simply because it KNOWS it's a game loosely base on one of humanities darkest hours.

As for graphically - Tempest, Rez, Castle Crashers and an awful lot more are the irrefutable proof that a game's graphics are just the icing on the cake - the doom 3 engine can certainly be used to great effect in the right hands and I have high hopes for this one.

btw:
And when combined with an incredibly dated engine I find it very hard to get excited.
changing a number on the end of an engine's name does not make it a new one - anyone who has seen the advanced console for U3 knows it's the same as the one in U1. The engines don't change ala console generations they evolve until the publishers decide they need a large enough cash injection to warrant giving their cash-cows a new moniker. Case in point? Half-life originally ran on the Quake 1 engine - you know; that blurry brown/grey engine?

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 2009, 22:22.

News Comments > BioShock 2 Simultaneous Release Planned
3. Re: BioShock 2 Simultaneous Release Planned Mar 20, 2009, 22:49 Lorcin

Nope it's now Bioshock 2: Hello Kitty Adventures  

News Comments > Last Remnant Activation Issues
3. Re: Last Remnant Activation Issues Mar 20, 2009, 22:13 Lorcin

quick great excuse - SEND IT BACK.

I absolutley love FFVII and FFIX. I've also just spent well over 80 hours on Lost Odyssey made by the Square offshoot company. Then I rented this POS from blockbuster after the reviews made me nervous.

As someone on here said a few days ago "it looks like a fan made Unreal mod". The voice acting is awful, animation awkward and the character design just hideous.

Don't even get me started on the mockney royalty who turns up after a few minutes and who, although a proper mockney would call himself "daz", for some reason decides that his name "David" should be said with a an Italian accent (I can't quite put this in to audible terms but imagine an American doing an even worse Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins accent, who then insists on calling himself Dav Id (pronounced much alike David Ginola)).

It honestly looks like the heart left Square around the time of FFX - and I really hope Mistwalker Studios annouce something new soon.

As for this game? if your lucky enough to have massive problems with it TAKE IT BACK before you can't.

This comment was edited on Mar 20, 2009, 22:39.

News Comments > Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust Next Week
1. Re: Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust Next Week Mar 20, 2009, 21:48 Lorcin

Erm great so on my 35th birthday a game starring a middle aged man obsessed with getting laid is coming out.

Aside from the timing which sucks tbh - one weeks notice? really massively anticipated title here!

News Comments > Gold - Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
25. Re: Assault on Dark Athena Gold Mar 20, 2009, 18:29 Lorcin

I loved the original - one of the VERY few fpss (fpses? what the hell is the plural?) I played through twice.

Even though this was originally an expansion I'll happily pick this one up demo or no. Butcher Bay had two huge things which put it above its peers; a plot only one level below Half Life which makes you actually want to see how it plays out and of course the aforementioned melee combat.

1046 Comments. 53 pages. Viewing page 33.
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo