Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lorcin

Real Name Lorcin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Lorcin
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 28, 2005, 12:16
Total Comments 1133 (Pro)
User ID 23558

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Valve: Steam Machines "Front and Center" at GDC
19. Re: Valve: Steam Machines Jan 8, 2015, 23:29 Lorcin

Zyrxil wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 21:59:
It's only vaguely similar. People have bought into the Steam ecosystem heavily, but they can't force people to stay. MS has power at the OS level, that trumps everything else if they truly wanted to do it. It's not a matter of switch to Linux if nothing you want can run on Linux, hence the Steam Machine and Steamplay experiments.

I disagree. Whilst it's obvious most PC gamers use Windows I think for the majority of people the selling point is Steam. Look at the publishers who've tried to break from Steam; Origin, Uplay, GFWL.

It hasn't ended well.

Console game makers are flocking back to make the cheap (relativity royalty free) buck on the PC.

IF (BIG IF) Microsoft tried to firewall gaming on PC behind Windows then Linux compatibility would EXPLODE with every developer working to quickly release on linux/steamOS. Unfortunately we're not in that position.

What's happened is M$ tried to make a gaming store. Then it tried to make an app store. Both failed so the obvious result:

ENTROPY

Why update DirectX - they don't earn from it. In fact they'll earn more money from their XBox division if they just don't update Windows gaming capacity.

It's all cool though. M$ are losing on literally every front. Win 8 is a nightmare, XBone has lost the console war, Office is an unintuitive mess and of course Bing is less popular than Ebola. (forgot - windows phone lol).

Realistically we've been watching the long slow drawn out death of Microsoft for almost a decade. Valve doesn't need to provide the mecca of gaming, it simply needs to provide a backup for when Microsoft commits suicide. Laying their framework now is a nice move, they know nobody can consistently fail over the last 5 years (ala Microsoft) and stay as Top Dog.

All this said and done - is google becoming a bit 1984?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Valve: Steam Machines "Front and Center" at GDC
12. Re: Valve: Steam Machines Jan 8, 2015, 20:27 Lorcin

Due to an outdated bios version on a motherboard I bought in December I've ended up with a spare AMD processor (had to buy it just to flash the mobo). I'm planning on spending the extra 100 (mobo,mem,cheap HD) I need just to stick steam on my TV - but use in home streaming from my desktop (which is in the kitchen/diner) to actually produce the graphics.

I've no interest in another (would be 4th in house) full blown gaming PC for the few times anybody wants to sit in the living room.

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
355. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 30, 2014, 21:08 Lorcin

Christmas family invasions seem to have a enforced a break in ED for me. I've switched to replaying fodder from the last few years; Prince of Presia (2nd time), Bioshock Infinite (3rd time) done. Latest Tomb Raider (for the 3rd time) being hit, after that Alice Madness Returns (again only 2nd time) is on the list.

I'm basically holding off because I want some filler in the ship lineup to provide some options (142k Viper > 30m+ dropship is one hell of a gap) and a massive ramp up in terms of AI difficulty.

My biggest problem is if you can fly the viper well there is no common NPC in the game who can kill you, and no player can catch you. There is no current danger and unless you care for ranks the best you can hope to achieve is a slower, better armed more automatic fighter.

325. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 24, 2014, 19:51 Lorcin

Vall Forran wrote on Dec 23, 2014, 20:31:
I need to make about $30 million credits. My future Asp is waiting. I might try the rare goods run. Jumping so many times is...tedious, but if it nets me anywhere near $500k to a million I'll try it.

Edit:
Thanks, Lorcin (I believe it was you...total apologies if not) who advised me to get a viper instead of grinding straight up to the Asp. From what I've read, the Asp is pretty crap at default. However, pump another 20 million into upgrades and it's arguably the best ship in the game. I am surprised at how much my viper is costing to upgrade. It absolutely has owned everything, but I still can spend another few million on upgrades easily. I shudder at the Asp upgrades.

Happily I've no idea if that was my advice or not - but I'll gladly take the credit because I believe it to be true. At the moment my viper (142k) is worth 3m fully kitted. Roughly 20x the base price - so Asp would hit 120m and Anaconda 300m.

Kinda seems right in terms of firepower we own (did have a 10m asp before a mishap) - my biggest problem atm is the Ai is a joke. I can take down Elite anacondas in my viper - erm no, that should not happen, not with my flying skills.

324. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 24, 2014, 19:41 Lorcin

Merry PEW PEW Christmas Elite Dangerous thread!  

315. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 23, 2014, 13:52 Lorcin

In gamma 2 rare trading made me a lot of credits quickly - I know it's been nerfed but I don't fully know how much. If you haven't come across it before rares are commodities only sold at one station and are worth more the further you go from your starting point. In general their value goes from say 935cr/t to buy to around 20,000cr/t once you take them about 140ly. That means if you were carrying 17t you'd make 324k for the run.

Looking at the latest data you can happily do it in a cobra or better an asp with a long jump distance - the maximum amount of each type you can have at once seems to be 23t so Type 6 maybe overkill.

This was a very good resource back in gamma and it looks to have been expanded on greatly since then.

In general I'd use the spreadsheet to pick a starting location then try and plot a nice roundtrip of 7 or 8 types of rare. Load up a fuel scoop and you're good to go. The nerf may not be that bad as it mean's you can use a full combat ready ship to make that kind of money trading.

287. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 22, 2014, 09:14 Lorcin

Someone tried to gank me! I must have hit open play for once as I'm normally solo and see a player come in. No scan just opened up with his cobra on me (I'm not wanted anywhere - ask my wife). Ok let's play I think as his ranked Harmless.

After 30 seconds or so I look to see how his shields are and I'm surprised their still full so the guy must have had shield cell banks (2 54k gimballed beam laser do at least 50% damage in that time).

Notice mine are about half so pop one of my shield cells. 10 seconds later I need another one which when I noticed - he had a bloody friend with him.

At the point I take the sensible option, hit the afterburners, turn off flight assist, put full power to shields, start using manuvering
thrusters to not fly straight and hit the FSD.

Was kinda fun but I'm not going up against 2 humans at once in my first fight against real people!

284. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 22, 2014, 04:44 Lorcin

Sounds like you're ship never recalculated the jump range once you were in system. Weird as I know the display show's the decreasing distance. Might be worth ticketing it as a bug.  

282. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 21, 2014, 15:53 Lorcin

Quboid wrote on Dec 21, 2014, 13:21:

There was no line between my local star and my target on the Galaxy Map presumably because the stars were just out of range for my ship. Does that mean it is never jumpable even though I closed the distance?

To the best of my knowledge the nav tab doesn't show jumps completely out of range (or >20ly if you can jump that far). I doubt you truly closed the distance that much - even travelling at 1000c it would take nearly 9 hours to cover 1ly.

This comment was edited on Dec 21, 2014, 16:24.

271. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 21, 2014, 03:26 Lorcin

Yeah I'm tempted to think about one of the factions. I've made 4m bounty hunting and am worth about 4.5m but it's getting a tad easy - the only thing I struggle with is Elite Anacondas now.

I don't know whether to go for the Federal Dropship or the Imperial Clipper, I'm more tempted by the Clipper but joining the Empire feels wrong and I'm already friendly with the Feds.

Maybe I'll just keep saving until I can get my Asp then stick to non-faction ships whilst they release the other 15 or so promised ones.

I do like the Python when I fight one - seems like a heavy duty viper (and my wife just bought a RL Python this month).

This comment was edited on Dec 21, 2014, 03:31.

233. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 19, 2014, 15:21 Lorcin

Vall Forran wrote on Dec 19, 2014, 13:31:

The general consensus on the Elite forums is that the hauler is a TERRIBLE mining ship. I think it's because you can only fit one weapon, so it'd leave you completely defenseless. Also, the hauler is really slow, you'd be racing to scoop rocks before they self-destruct.

I'd go with a cobra for mining and as others were saying all purpose stuff. As for upgrading your cargo bays, stations do sell higher capacity versions. I think I finally found mine in an industrial station, the high tech ones don't always seem to carry them.

The type 6 is pretty sweet, but it's obviously only for trading. I'd recommend everyone buying a cobra and at least storing it somewhere.

I'm skipping cobra this time - I lost everything the day before they announced there would be no wipe for launch. I want my asp back but last time I earned it by trading which was just a grind. This time I'm sticking with my viper with 0 cargo space

yaustnav - try Arque, it's alliance and very close to Ditibi (Fed) and Codorain (Empire)

212. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 18, 2014, 22:23 Lorcin

Erm so being friends means we can text chat from the main menu? Kinda weak. I'd love somebody to start a bluesnews group as I've read this site for >15 years.

I'd do it myself but I'm not a leader - I can lead a troop (raid leader in a lot of MMOs) but I know I lack the charisma to be a full leader.

BTW Blue I know you're reading this - you in ED?

210. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 18, 2014, 18:16 Lorcin

Vall Forran wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 18:04:
Heh:

[url=LongURL]https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission[/url]

Edit:

Sorry, bluesnews control bot is complaining the link is too long, despite me following its directions to fix it. Anyway, this should point you to an obvious place to click.

That is so nice, will pick this up in a few more months.

201. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 18, 2014, 14:14 Lorcin

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 13:49:
Thanks that does help.
I've been trying to master the art of refueling for a while now.
So far I got to the point of skim the surface until my heat gets to 120% than fly away from the star than turn around and take another pass and try to curve around the star just to stay at a distance where my heat meter doesn't move up, but ones it does I fly away again.
I think 130% is where you start taking damage from heat.

Just uploaded a video of how I fuel scoop although someone said they tend to get interdicted doing it this way:

http://youtu.be/k07A8DyR9Ss

It's 150% for damage afaik

193. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 18, 2014, 10:54 Lorcin

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 10:23:
I am not sure if this is new or it was in the beta but I did not notice this before. When you are hitting the enemy ship with bullets and it's shield is down there are all kinds of particles flying off of it and sparks flying everywhere. You can even see some bullets ricochet off of it if you are close enough. It is pretty freaking awesome if you ask me.

I quite agree - getting up close and personnel with a 'conda and blowing chunks off it is so satisfying.

191. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 18, 2014, 10:22 Lorcin

[url=]http://i.imgur.com/EXgJ0x3.jpg[/url]

Mohahaha pretty much maxed this thing - I've had to turn off the cargo hatch and docking computer to be able to run the weapons now.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Transfers Clarified; Specs Next Week
11. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Transfers Clarified; Specs Next Week Dec 18, 2014, 00:17 Lorcin

Rockstar had my money. Can I put my ps3 bluray into my pc and it validates the fact I already bought this game?

No? Waiting for sale

176. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 18, 2014, 00:06 Lorcin

Vall Forran wrote on
Aw, you edited. Wasn't trying to sound snarky...This game is weird. I can imagine if some grouping mechanic was implemented, you'd have groups of forty 15 year old assholes destroying everything raid-style. So, I kind of feel for Frontier. It would be nice to group, but I get how it could totally break the game. Also...I'd get tons of shit thrown at me for taking too long in space stations. [/quote:

Sorry - I have social anxiety. But this is one game I can confidently say forty 40 year olds would rip apart forty 15 year olds. The ultimate skill in elite is knowing your place and using experience to telegraph your opponents move..

173. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 23:06 Lorcin

btw try muting the music and playing an audiobook while you play.

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2014, 23:41.

171. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 22:54 Lorcin

I'm sure there's more but Komovoy is anarchy has a couple of stations and is within 2 jumps of fed, emp and ali systems.

I only play solo so feel free to gank pirates there cause we won't be tripping over each others feet.

Aside from that I'm tempted to change my gimballed lasers for turrets. They do less damage but have a greater range of movement. With gimbals they stay within the central "windscreen" but I know if I'm edtracking upwards I can see my target probably double the time it's actually within my "windshield"

Will test it tomorrow - bit tipsy now.

1133 Comments. 57 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo