Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lorcin

Real Name Lorcin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Lorcin
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 28, 2005, 12:16
Total Comments 1083 (Pro)
User ID 23558

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Goes "Gamma"
51. Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 24, 2014, 06:41 Lorcin

It was briefly discussed in the launch premiere event. The Thargoids are the classic uncommunicative hostile aliens that ripped you from hyperspace and blasted you to hell.

David Braben basically said their not talking about them yet - take from that what you will but as they were such a big part of the classic game I'm sure they'll put in an appearance at some point.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 24, 2014, 06:07 Lorcin

Dala wrote on Nov 24, 2014, 05:44:
Prez wrote on Nov 23, 2014, 19:32:
Hopefully after launch and when things are running smoothly they will reconsider the offline mode.

This would be good.

I have a feeling that they might have shelved plans for the offline mode due to the likelihood that most modern personal computers could not adequately mirror what they have on the server side by themselves. For example, the database on the server side could hold in excess of ten terabytes of data.

I am not saying it is impossible to get around such a problem, but it might take significant rewrites of code to get it functional on an average modern personal computer.

You may be right - I'm in no way a programmer but surely they would need a database with records of every station and ship around 400 billion stars. Oh and every commodity on every station.

Yes they could just keep track of everything within 30 and 40 light years of the player and randomly generate the rest as needed but that would erm lead..to a restricted..non-dynamic..randomly generated universe.

OHHHHH.

Maybe that's why a single player offline version ending up not being viable - the database on this thing must be MASSIVE.

I wonder how much hassle they'd have got for announcing offline mode would need a few terabits of free space on everybody's laptop which they use on their Artic expeditions.

45. Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 24, 2014, 04:25 Lorcin

I spent 90 mins or so as a bounty hunter last night - I don't know about piracy but bounty hunting was fun. I earn't about 14k from 3 kills but had to pay about 1.5k for repairs/fuel and built up a small fine with the empire.

I'm sure piracy would work quiet well and it's fun chasing down people in SC then interdicting them. I would recommend getting good at escaping interdiction first - catching is the same mechanic.

Either I suddenly got good at it from beta to gamma or switching from a F.L.Y 5 to a X52 setup really made a difference.

3. Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 23, 2014, 11:34 Lorcin

Cutter wrote on Nov 23, 2014, 11:13:
No one cares...now.

Erm I do - played about 12 hours of the gamma so far. Not had any crashes since 5pm yesterday and only noticed 2 minor bugs. It's shaping up really well.

News Comments > Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped
242. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 17, 2014, 16:41 Lorcin

Someone made a poll on the beta forums asking Choose one option for A & one for B, which closest matches your feelings:

(A) I can't ever play without Offline Mode (internet is unavailable or very intermittent) 33 3.69%
(A) I can't play sometimes without Offline Mode (internet only available sometimes) 69 7.71%
(A) I can play most of the time without Offline Mode (occasional lack of reliable internet) 73 8.16%
(A) I don't need Offline Mode now, but want it for when the servers are switched-off 253 28.27%
(A) I'd like Offline Mode, but can live without it 183 20.45%
(A) I don't care about Offline Mode. 319 35.64%

(B) Offline Mode can be a completely unchanging galaxy (static markets, missions, stations, etc) 259 28.94%
(B) Offline Mode NEEDS to have randomly changing markets, but otherwise can be unchanging 166 18.55%
(B) Offline Mode NEEDS to allow updates (once a month) to stay in sync with the multiplayer galaxy 103 11.51%
(B) Offline Mode NEEDS to have almost all features of multiplayer galaxy (likely impossible!) 44 4.91%

The 3.69% are VERY vocal

205. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 17, 2014, 08:51 Lorcin

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 08:27:
So you are assuming they are able to just refund backers money? I thought that money from the backers went towards developing the game.

Well yeah I'm thinking they could - after all they did an IPO in the middle of last year which as I write this gives them a market cap of 91.58m. Refunding the 1.578m on kickstarter shouldn't be hard. As for the rest of the pre-orders? I doubt they total more than 10m and I for one wouldn't want a refund. They offer me access to the gamma code but posted as an Alpha version of a full Elite MMO or a refund and I'd take the Alpha access.

200. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 17, 2014, 08:18 Lorcin

Like I said before this isn't a game breaker for me. However part of me wonders if they wouldn't be better cancelling the game as it stands, refunding preorders and talking to NC-Soft.

NC-Soft after all have a good history with pay once play forever MMOs (Guild Wars) and already have tools/infrastructure to make a reasonably secure MMO.

I can't see how the online solo player can be allowed to exist in this environment - groups could setup all sort of blockades and corner trade in areas. But it would take seconds for someone to switch to Solo mode and go straight through them.

Imagine a war between two groups. One group could be defending a particular trade route or system. The other group could simply drop into solo mode and flank them before switching back to multiplayer mode. It doesn't work.

Cancelling at this time may be the honourable thing to do - and I'm sure they could broker a deal with NC-Soft and relaunch the current beta as beta for a new Elite MMO which this thing has turned into.

The comm system needs work from an MMO standpoint (never bothered me as I had no intention of playing online) and some form of protection for new players or players who don't want PVP would need to be put into place.

FD seem to have evolved the game into a semi-mmo but frankly the game is not ready to be that.

85. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 16:58 Lorcin

Prez wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 16:17:
I suppose the big question is what happens to my game when my internet goes down? I remember a marathon Borderlands 2 session that started at 6 pm one night and went on until 7 am the next morning. Sometime in the night my internet went down and did not come back, and the only way I noticed was a message appeared in the chat window saying I had lost connection to the servers and all my progress would be saved locally until re-synced with the servers (Proving if nothing else that Steam is absolutely NOT always on DRM). If I try to do something in Elite with the internet down what will happen?

You'd get kicked out very quickly the way it plays in the beta - jumps/trades/docks even accepting missions all need server validation from what I can tell. Between it being beta and my flakey ISP I've had disconnects from all of them in Solo mode.

I don't know if this will hold true for 3.9 or Gamma.

HOWEVER can I make a prediction here? Remember the backlash against the XBone's online policy. I see a similar thing happening here.

57. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 15:34 Lorcin

About the biggest backer asking for a refund - he later posted this:

Jack - I quite agree. The game is awesome - a good solid foundation.

FD just need some PR lessons (and I in some self control) Speaking of which my "stance" of demanding a refund will hurt forum members : I have a few +1s which I gave out and a refund would mean they can't go either. What is worth more - the money back into my hands (of which now FD won't even blink at) or the chance for others to meet DB ?

Sadly life out here in the UAE does things to your mind, more so with the job I have ... Whilst I am not looking for excuses I can feel the rages coming on which is messing with my thoughts. I have sent a PM to Michael asking that he suspend my account for a few weeks : a bit of enforced vacation is probably a good idea for me right now.

Things will turn out OK .. they always do.

Source

45. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 15:22 Lorcin

I bought this a couple of weeks ago - never been on the multiplayer version yet. I'm not interested in interacting with other players. I don't wanna get interdicted by some kid screaming leet speak at me. I also don't wanna get interdicted with someone with no life in an ananconda who pops my little cobra just because for him that's fun.

That's also the reason I've never played MMOs on a PVP server/realm and for that's the biggest problem with this decision. I wouldn't mind meeting up with a few friends for a couple of hours online but they have made the whole game PVP so that won't happen now.

I'm disappointed by the lack of true offline as my isp can be flaky at times but if my internet goes down I'll just tether my phone - that should be plenty fast enough to get market stocks etc without eating my data allowance.

Whilst I do understand for, a very few people, requiring any internet will stop them playing and regret paying. That said I think most of the "shitstorm" is down to people having knee-jerk reactions and throwing their toys out of their pram.

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Announced (Not F2P)
13. Re: Just Cause 3 Announced (Not F2P) Nov 12, 2014, 00:48 Lorcin

For me this is a B grade franchise looking for the hit to make it mainstream. GTA owns the game=art ground. Saint's Row owns the WTF are kidding territory. Even Far Cry is knuckling in as current king of the sorta serious, sorta funny genre of sandbox games.

They don't have the budget to compete with GTA and I doubt they have the balls to face off against Saint's Row/Far Cry.

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS Reveal
58. Re: Star Citizen FPS Reveal Nov 2, 2014, 22:52 Lorcin

I got the ED beta a few days ago maybe sunk 24h into it since.

Whilst I love it to pieces as I was a 1984 player there is a nagging part of me asking what is the end game?

I just got my cobra and I'm wondering where this game will go.

I'm not saying SC <> ED because I've only played one of them but with ED I can't help but look at the most successful sandbox franchise of all time - GTA - and ask where is the bones. We have the tasty tasty meat but where is that bone in the center to hold things together.

Even X tacks on an attempt at a story, something to aim for. After one day in ED it feel's solitary, lacking direction, lacking character and completely devoid of emotion.

The gameplay is good but they desperatly need a writer to come and build the sand castle in the middle of the rather delectable sandbox they've made

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Oct 22, 2014, 22:29 Lorcin

So I've had my name here for 9 or 10 years. Took it from the maker of an air-pistol I bought on holiday back then.

I've just googled it:

"The Lorcin Engineering Company was a firearms manufacturer that is notorious for producing faulty, small-caliber pistols."

Maybe time for new nick!

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock II
8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock II Oct 15, 2014, 22:11 Lorcin

Cutter wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 21:53:

And how exactly does that work?

Not really rocket science. They've made a game hard or long enough to be confident that it can't be realistically completed within 24 hours of launch. In case they get caught they've then promised to use the hither too unknown power of t'interweb to arrange for food to be delivered to a specific location.

This unknown wizardry of getting food delivered online is probably where they should base their next game. "The legend of laziness" a old school rpg where you fight the nagging fear you've entered a wrong address whilst fending off the probing questions of your wife.

BTW is it a mark of adulthood that you go from "Are we there yet?" to "Is it here yet?" or even the dreaded "Are you finished?"

News Comments > Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Launch Trailer
9. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Launch Trailer Oct 13, 2014, 22:28 Lorcin

don't mean to be negative but I downloaded this out of curiosity when it was <5gb online. BTW I have well over 400hrs clocked in the first two games.

No killer hook - that intro doesn't work at all for me, this isn't an intro which takes a game I'm a bit MEH about and makes me want to play. This is a MEH intro to a game I'm already doubtful about.

Bugs - like straight away! First character option gave me synopsis of her gameplay style, the next option asked which head I wanted to use!

I've doubted this all along but now this truly feels like a halfway point between an expansion and a DLC. Not going to play it unless it is CHEAP on steam but truly hope they get their shit together and deliver a proper BL3 on those "next-gen" paperweights.

News Comments > Costume Quest 2 Released
4. Re: Costume Quest 2 Released Oct 8, 2014, 00:24 Lorcin

Really like the first one it was a quirky distraction for 2 evenings. My son (currently 12) also loved it, and unlike me bothered with the dlc.

Gonna certainly watch the reviews on this one, unless double fine drop the ball for once I'll buy this.

News Comments > Shadow of Mordor Review Pressure Allegations
30. Re: Shadow of Mordor Review Pressure Allegations Oct 8, 2014, 00:18 Lorcin

For I=1 to game length {
Target=Random Captain;
WalkTo Target;
Engage Target;
If Target=<2 OtherCaptainsNearby Then Win Else Lose;
}

Sorry for mix of basic and c - still trying to learn c

Actually stopped playing this now and a large part of that was the repetition. Killer for me was getting to the new green area of Mordor (sayeth thou whaaaat?) And seeing an new entirely blank Sauren's army.

Back in the starter region some no name gimpy orc had somehow hit level 20 by my extreme bad luck. I'd run like a fat kid after a cupcake every time I saw him come the end, he did actually become a nemesis.

Tell me I've completed 11/20 main mission then wipe the orc slate clean whilst introducing another new flat small land but this time using green not brown as the default colour was the final straw for me.

Morale of this game: Nemesis system actually very good. Without it this would be a flat, dull, repetitive fantasy game.

I kinda feel like this was aimed at the PS3/360 gen of consoles visually. There are NO vistas - no real sense of scale. The whole thing seems to be a collection of very small pretty maps which don't add up to a world. Ai is pretty good overall but this hugely fails at feeling epic.

Edit: actually quite possible the real killer for me was the 1st dwarf mission was almost the entire length of the map away. I wanna start small and expand not be given a new area then tempted to run to it's farthest reaches.

This comment was edited on Oct 8, 2014, 00:27.

News Comments > Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Claptrap Trailer
1. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Claptrap Trailer Oct 3, 2014, 23:27 Lorcin

Kinda amazed they don't have a power-up where claptrap grows nipples on his bodywork.

They really are throwing every idea they can at this from the looks of things - pity these are the ideas that were previously left at the bottom of the barrel.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Beta 2 Launches
12. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta 2 Launches Oct 3, 2014, 23:07 Lorcin

Tom wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 21:55:

The gameplay, while far more forgiving than the original Elite, is still too difficult and open-ended to get the kind of mainstream exposure one typically associates with a killer app.

Sorry if I missed the naunces of dogfighting back then but my tactic was:

1) Install all mining lasers
2) Shot target when it was a single pixel on the screen

That worked great when I was ten - and I have very happy memories of shooting single pixels with lasers powerful enough to destroy meteors for hours!!!

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Beta 2 Launches
9. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta 2 Launches Oct 3, 2014, 21:25 Lorcin

I really want this - but I'm not preoreding. I'll play when I have a consumer version rift and they've spent a few months polishing it.

They really need to stop it hitting sales until the Rift is out because I'll go out on a limb here and say this is going to be one of the killer apps for OR.

1083 Comments. 55 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo