Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lorcin

Real Name Lorcin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Lorcin
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 28, 2005, 12:16
Total Comments 1019 (Pro)
User ID 23558

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers
52. Re: RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers Oct 4, 2011, 12:58 Lorcin

Verno wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 12:29:
The number of configuration options hasn't exactly dwindled so I find this whole thing to be a false dichotomy. We're not at a point where engines can configure themselves perfectly and even if they could that's still ignoring that users might not like their choices and have to tweak to take into account varying eye sight and preferences.

A lot of options have disappeared - especially at launch. Driver : san fran has a grand total of 5 options under video including resolution and whether it's full screen. As for people wanting to watch things the way they think it should look? I do understand it - but at the same time in every other form of media people don't have a choice. At the theatre you can't demand the understudy take over because you don't like the main actors voice. On TV you can't choice to unbleep swearing because your a grown up. Why do game designers have to cater for every choice under the sun when it's their baby!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers Oct 4, 2011, 12:26 Lorcin

Verno wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 12:18:
That's not really what is going on here though. Not every PC is created equal, you can't trust the engine to set itself up perfectly especially when it doesn't know user specific preferences. If people want a platform without configuration that sets itself up they will buy the game on a console. I'm all for streamlining configuration options for the casual owner but having an Advanced menu isn't exactly difficult.

Or maybe it's just obsolete nowadays - remember when we as gamers had to tailor autoexec.bat and config.sys to cram as much low memory as we could while still enabling the cd-rom and soundcard etc? That all stopped with the introduction of Windows 95. Now with graphic options getting fewer and fewer over the last few years we're obviously getting to the point where the systems CAN configure themselves correctly to provide what the game designers have decided is how they want the game to look.

And no I personally don't want to spend an hour or two tweaking settings, reading set up guides and running benchmarks (or worse playing the start 15 times with fraps running) to determine what is best - do it for me and let me play. But no I won't play an fps on a console either.

33. Re: RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers Oct 4, 2011, 12:14 Lorcin

Halo wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 12:06:
Right because the amount of PC games with adjustable video settings is comparable to people wanting to regear a transmission.

Apparently so - if your complaining you can't change how the game is setting itself up. It seems a lot of PC gamers think they know the way their PC architecture, memory buses, background services and iD's own engine interact efficiently better than iD do.

27. Re: RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers Oct 4, 2011, 11:57 Lorcin

born2expire wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 11:34:
Really John Carmack, no graphic options? simply inexcusable, this needs to be patched ASAP.

To be fair if iD's stance that the game is watching what resources your PC has and automatically adjusting the GFX settings to maintain 60fps then fair enough. You don't buy an automatic car then strip down the gear box to change it's gearing.

18. Re: RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers Oct 4, 2011, 11:33 Lorcin

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 11:32:
If crap like Rage doesn't come to PC that'd be a good thing

/hugs

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 3, 2011, 19:28 Lorcin

Not quite sure on that guys sources - 36c was average about 4 years ago in the UK. Average now is 34e according to Bravissimo (like Victoria's Secret over here).

I demand a recount!

News Comments > PC Saints Row: The Third *Not* Delayed
16. Re: PC Saints Row: The Third *Not* Delayed Oct 1, 2011, 21:16 Lorcin

I kinda liked saint's row 2 - but I'm really reluctant to pay full price for number 3 at launch simply because I dislike purple.

I know that sounds stupid - but it really bugs me. I played SR2 as a very muscular GUY with the biggest boobs possible, hot pants, a beehive and the worst cockney accent since dick van dyke. Really enjoyed that insanity - but the purple logos wound me up. If they want a game where you can create a gang, style, look, new gender etc - why the hell can't we pick a colour.

News Comments > RAGE Steam Preloads Begin
26. Re: RAGE Steam Preloads Begin Oct 1, 2011, 10:20 Lorcin

El Pit wrote on Oct 1, 2011, 05:51:
Pirated Xbox360 and PS3 versions are already available! But since pirated console versions are no problem for the publishers or either do not exist in the publishers' alternate reality, I guess it is no big deal.

Except the PS3 version isn't playable because Sony actually went after the hackers and scared them off.

News Comments > RAGE Steam Preloads Begin
11. Re: RAGE Steam Preloads Begin Sep 30, 2011, 22:56 Lorcin

jacobvandy wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 22:04:

Netflix streaming that is used more than our cable, dozens of other Steam games (installing new ones, old ones updating all the time), PSN downloads, internet radio, etc. I'm probably going to switch to business class, which would be the same speed but without the cap, and drop the TV service.

I'm convinced their "99% of customers" that don't come close to the cap figure is bullshit, or else qualified crookedly, because 250GB per month is nothing for a modern household with multiple people using several computers or internet-enabled devices for more than Facebook and email.

Your probably right - I'm on a so called "unlimited" mobile data plan - capped at 500mb per month. Last.FM would use that in 7.5 hours. So glad I checked before I used it at the gym - would only last a week.

News Comments > Dungeons The Dark Lord Demo
1. Re: Dungeons The Dark Lord Demo Sep 29, 2011, 18:38 Lorcin

Is this still a soulless Dungeon Keeper rip-off, or has it built it's own identity?  

News Comments > AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! Sequel Revealed
4. Re: AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! Sequel Revealed Sep 27, 2011, 23:10 Lorcin

Unzerpum wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 22:19:
It's easy. Five groupings of five letters each, with each grouping capitalizing an additional letter:

"Aaaaa" "AAaaa" "AAAaa" "AAAAa" "AAAAA"

What? No, I'm not OCD at all!
So is the sequel set in Wales?

Baaaa BBaaa BBBaa BBBBa BBBBB

News Comments > The Lord of the Rings Online: Rise of Isengard Rises
6. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online: Rise of Isengard Rises Sep 27, 2011, 22:37 Lorcin

Rattlehead wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 20:57:
This is the most disappointing "expansion" of any MMO I ever played. It's essentially a glorified quest pack with a $30 price tag. I wouldn't mind that essentially but my biggest gripe is they are killing end-game raiders like me until update 5 which isn't coming out till the end of the year. There are no new end game instances and that raid can only be played once a week.

They didn't scale any old instances, they just raised the level of already scalable instances, forcing players to grind the same 3 dailies for the stupid superior 4th marks for raid armor.

Even if you don't purchase the expansion you still get access to the new regions and epic quests, which makes me wonder why pay for this at all. The new level cap is nice but everything else just...blows.

This expansion made me quit the game. End game content is scarce enough, this eliminated all of it with a stupid once a week lair boss.

Really man? When an MMO goes free 2 play it really shouts "I FAILED". Now your complaining that the expansion to a failed mmo isn't worth the money - what did you expect, your $30 would make it compete with wow?

The minute a game goes f2p it's dead - and everybody playing beyond a few days checking it out will deny it.

PS Just to make this awkward - you'll try to extol the virtues of the game, whilst I'll link to subscriber figures, financial comparisons with games launched in the same window and the huge lack of community.

To be clear - if D&Do is lacking community, then LOTRO is trying to host a party in the desert.

News Comments > Kane & Lynch 3 Plans?
4. Re: Kane & Lynch 3 Plans? Sep 27, 2011, 21:23 Lorcin

Wow - so the market research says somebody wants another one?

Can people stop sleeping with their sisters please?

News Comments > Duke Nukem 3D: Reloaded on Hold
31. Re: Duke Nukem 3D: Reloaded on Hold Sep 27, 2011, 20:00 Lorcin

Well this news reminded me to check on black mesa again. With DNF released and not as bad as Daikatona - I really wanna play Black Mesa.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Driver: San Francisco
12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Driver: San Francisco Sep 27, 2011, 19:54 Lorcin

So guessing I'm one of the few who really wants to see a motorhead 2 - pity Dice seem to be busy churning out generic shooters.

As for Driver San Fran - it's kinda fun, nothing special. But then you see the TV ad and realise the advert is an awful lot more fun than the game.

Just to explain this a bit better, Driver is like Dead Island; great adverts, run of the mill game.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic December Launch; Pricing Details
36. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic December Launch, Pricing Details Sep 24, 2011, 21:11 Lorcin

Sorry but I have a life - no way I'd be allowed to spend Christmas on a game. Maybe in the new year  

News Comments > NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends
23. Re: NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends Sep 22, 2011, 22:03 Lorcin

Beamer wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 18:47:
PC releases occasionally come out months later due to piracy concerns.

PC releases often come out months later because the team is being pressed for time and need to focus on getting a good product out the door by the release date. Rather than let all 3 platforms slip a small amount they let the platform that needs the most individual work yet will sell the least slip for a long amount.

PC releases also often come out months later because a different team works on them and they can't complete until the other versions are done.

But don't let the conspiracy train stop.

I'm not saying if I believe that or not but as I've been a PC Gamer since Doom (1) I honestly have to say PC gamers are the connoisseurs. A well built pc game is like an aged singled malt whiskey - the best the lager boys on the consoles can hope is that their cheap lager doesn't give them too bad a headache.

There's the odd beer like god of war which is worth a nights drinking - but for the most part lets leave the plebs to their lager. Bring on the whiskey.

PS I actually hate whiskey - but vodka didn't fit the tone

News Comments > NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends
1. Re: NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends Sep 22, 2011, 15:59 Lorcin

Do love the new F1 2011 ad which says "Actual PC Gameplay". You know it'll look nowhere near as good on the consoles.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 22, 2011, 03:45 Lorcin

Killing off people with it early is a bit harsh - the PS3 is secure again for the time being so these people have actually bought the game.  

News Comments > OnLive Live in U.K.
4. Re: OnLive Live in U.K. Sep 22, 2011, 03:27 Lorcin

I'd totally agree with you about they just need to up the video quality - but that said anybody playing with the input lag will probably not mind the video (and tbh it looks as good as my wife's laptop can do).

Their not really aiming this at hardcore gamers.

1019 Comments. 51 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo