Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lorcin

Real Name Lorcin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Lorcin
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 28, 2005, 12:16
Total Comments 1046 (Pro)
User ID 23558

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up
55. Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 22, 2012, 03:38 Lorcin

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 22, 2012, 01:26:
Valve's a shitty example since they're about as inept as Blizzard is with project management.

RIIIIGHT so Valve and Blizzard are inept at project management. I bet PC gaming would be much better if they just got in the management team who make the Madden games. We could have Half Life as a yearly game - that sounds like a great idea.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

53. Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 22, 2012, 01:25 Lorcin

Creston wrote on Jan 22, 2012, 00:50:

Good luck playing the game across a 3G tether...

Creston

I doubt always on single player is going to use much bandwidth or be particularly bandwidth intensive - but I did raid ICC on a tether once a couple of years back it's doable (just).

51. Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 22, 2012, 00:28 Lorcin

Prez wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 18:31:

It was over 10 years between Brood War and SC2. I think someone would have to be just a little naive to think that that wait would have still been as long were there no WoW to milk. It has been a terribly long wait for Diablo 3 as well, but even worse, Blizzard is turning even it into some sort of MMO abomination with its idiotic cash shop and always online singleplayer requirement. Because of their ability to monetize WoW no doubt. Two game series that practically defined my gaming youth changed for the worse because of MMO influence.

No, you really can't convince me that MMO's aren't the bane of modern gaming. Like I said, I don't expect others to agree, but I loathe MMO's to my gaming core.

Well it's taken Valve 8 years to release 2 DLC episodes for HL2 so far so 10 years for a full blown sequel from one of the top tier companies I guess is becomming more frequent. HL1 > HL2 gap was 6 years, Bioshock to Bioshock Infinite 5 years (Bioshock 2 doesn't count). Elder Scrolls 4 > 5 was almost 5 years etc etc

Diablo 3 had been announced for nearly 4 years now - Blizzard might just be even slower than Valve.

I agree the cash shop is probably bad - but hopefully it means they've made a bloody difficult game. Got the skills to get to the end? Fine go ahead. Stuck on level 4? $5 get's you a sword of thawcking. Hopefully it's aimed at people to dumb or uncoordinated to play the game.

As for always on single player - that's purely antipiracy which for me I don't really mind. I'm on a desktop anyway, not like it goes anywhere and if my internet went down I'd tether my mobile for a couple of hours.

48. Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 21, 2012, 18:17 Lorcin

Prez wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 17:45:

Don't care at all how you view it, pathetic or otherwise. When studios start changing their focus to MMO cash-cow grind-fests away from deeper, better games (Blizzard, Bioware, etc) , it's a detriment to gaming in general as far as I'm concerned. There are fewer good games to play because every developer and publisher wants to jump on the MMO cash-cow express. The more spectacularly an MMO fails, the better in my view. I'm not asking you to agree; the guy asked a question and I answered it, speaking only for myself of course.

Aside from the fact you could pretty much just close the chat window and just play 0-50 as a number of pretty decent bioware RPGs (it's no grind fest - especially if you skip bonus objectives); you say you'd be happy however badly any mmo fails.

Well if SWTOR fails hard enough it will take a big chunk of Bioware with it - you don't spend 200m of EAs money without a decent return or the axe will well and truly fall. Blizzard are still making Starcraft 2, Diablo 3 etc (with a vastly increased budget from the WOW cash) and Bioware are still making Mass Effect 3, Dragon's Age 3 etc etc.

Ultimately making an MMO is a gamble - but if it's successful it gives studios a lot of leeway to make games to their standards not the publishers because they have the bank balance to do it. If it fails then the dev is in big trouble. How could you look at Bioware's and Blizzard's back catalogue and not want them to have more money in the bank and the opportunity to be more independent.

And who know's now Bethesda now they can release their MMO under the Fallout not the shaky Rage label (pretty obvious they settled when they realised nobody wanted a Rage MMO), they also may get a decent influx in cash and actually be able to afford a Q&A department or even a decent engine.

37. Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 21, 2012, 13:14 Lorcin

Creston wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 11:58:

Fair enough, but have the other MMOs ever BANNED players for it? Not for cheating, but for playing a clearly broken mechanic?

I have no problem with them rolling back the ill-gotten gains, but why are people being banned for playing the game?

Creston

Thing is they weren't playing the game - they were exploiting an obvious bug. We all know exploiting bugs is frowned upon and your not telling me a single person sat there for an hour or more watching his valor go through the roof while thinking the game was designed that way?

I'm guessing bans would be temporary - and only handed to people who encouraged others to join in or talked about how obviously it was a bug.

27. Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 21, 2012, 11:26 Lorcin

wtf_man wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 10:53:
and because of full voice overs...

This is really starting to tell me whoever is talking has either not played the game - or they haven't played enough attention.

My character get's through the vast majority of quests using the same stock phrases even though the dialogue text reads different - for example:

TEXT: The droid army didn't stand a chance
V/O: "I didn't even break a sweat"

This happens on the vast majority of trees. Yes the game is fully voiced over but it's done to need the fewest lines possible from the character classes. In terms of adding flashpoints etc you need a droid to beep (flashpoints are nearly always delivered by a droid) and maybe two or three actors to provide the intro and mid mission lines.

News Comments > Resident Evil 6 Announced
1. Re: Resident Evil 6 Announced Jan 19, 2012, 18:54 Lorcin

Hardly the Dead Island trailer - nonsensical plot with more of the same gameplay now set in cities (and sewers) around the world.

Still I'll play it anyway - completed all the others so why not.

News Comments > Star Trek Online F2P Begins
6. Re: Star Trek Online F2P Begins Jan 17, 2012, 22:54 Lorcin

"We couldn't be more excited," said Jack Emmert, CEO, Cryptic Studios, Inc. "Our game already doesn't have enough subscribers to keep it as a premium MMO and has now joined the cash store ranks of Maple Story and Flyff on it's way to it's ultimate form"

"We have strong hopes that within the next 18 months Star Trek Online will join other MMO luminaries such as The Matrix Online and be retired forever to the Hall of Fame."

Fixed.

News Comments > The Old Republic: Rise of the Rakghouls Delayed
35. Re: Rakghouls Jan 17, 2012, 22:39 Lorcin

jdreyer wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 22:11:
A Rakghoul sounds like something out of Borderlands. Or Fallout. Just sayin'

Yeah or KOTOR - you know the game which was out 6 years before Borderlands (although it was after the original couple of Fallouts).

27. Re: The Old Republic: Rise of the Rakghouls Delayed Jan 17, 2012, 18:10 Lorcin

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 17:49:

Hoth > orbital station > airlock > board ship > load screen > select planet > leave ship > load screen > airlock > orbital station > Belsavis

I really like the game - but yes there does seem to be some padding (pretty unnecessary in an mmo - and Quesh is pure filler, like an B-side of a planet) and the load times are pretty horrendous. It really is select character then wander off for a min or two. Also alt+tab makes it load for 5 or 10 secs on mine - complete with loading screen.

I'm defiantly renewing - I'll have maxxed my juggernaut by the renew date but I want to play through at least one of the Rep classes as well. First MMO I've ever played where I've enjoyed the plot (I liked the Storm Peaks storyline but that was all from wow).

13. Re: The Old Republic: Rise of the Rakghouls Delayed Jan 17, 2012, 14:44 Lorcin

I'm glad it was delayed - gave me an excuse not to go to the gym. Now it's coming in a few days though

News Comments > The Old Republic Update Next Week
12. Re: The Old Republic Update Next Week Jan 13, 2012, 10:23 Lorcin

Damn was hoping for a juggernaut overhaul - I'm tempted to reroll as it seems their last pick for tanking Ops but I have a lot of time invested.  

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Prerelease Demo Plans
9. Re: Mass Effect 3 Prerelease Demo Plans Jan 10, 2012, 15:59 Lorcin

I hope they do tie up the story nicely - a little part of me dies every time I see somebody called "Shepherd" in ToR.  

News Comments > Diablo III in February?
98. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 09:39 Lorcin

Whoops hit quote not edit  

News Comments > Diablo III in February?
97. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 09:39 Lorcin

I live in Rochester. Unfortunately it's Rochester, Kent and we don't have a single shop which sells videos games. We have a medieval castle and cathedral but no game shops  

News Comments > SWTOR Beta Patch, More on Ability Delay Patching
11. Re: SWTOR Beta Patch, More on Ability Delay Patching Jan 7, 2012, 20:36 Lorcin

Rossafur wrote on Jan 7, 2012, 18:34:
There's no way that would possibly happen, as every romance line is denoted with [flirt]. I have no problem with the game allowing any sort of romance option so long as it's always just an OPTION, ie: the way it already is -denoted with [flirt] in the dialogue choices.
I play the game for the great story-lines and story choices, without that it's just like any other mmo. If they are NEVER going to allow that companion as a same-sex romance option, then it would be easy to go back to playing my character. But if I keep playing, get to 50, and then they patch it in at some point down the line, then that whole storyline has been missed out on.

Thing is this is an MMO and you've already said your not a e-peener dps whore so I guess your playing for the social and storyline aspects - NOT the hardcore endgame PvE raids (when they come).

They know damn well people who aren't that interested in endgame will play more than one storyline, as a minimum most Lore players will play at least one storyline on Empire and Republic - and if they can get you to play it through twice more in 6 months time with the offer of same sex relationships then they'll damn well implement them.

I can't think of another MMO where you actual have a social rank depening on how often you team with other people. They've spotted a new demographic and are going after it.

9. Re: SWTOR Beta Patch, More on Ability Delay Patching Jan 7, 2012, 19:57 Lorcin

Sidenote - can we forget patches, upgrades, balancing and even new content. Can you just give the Russian players their own servers please ?  

News Comments > WoW Cross-Realm Raids Coming
1. Re: WoW Cross-Realm Raids Coming Jan 7, 2012, 19:54 Lorcin

Not sure if this is a nice touch or a decline in subscriber numbers. It's not something any kind of decent raiding guild will welcome.

If anything it's going to make things more elitest as any idiot will be able to get into a PUG raid but they'll be even worse run with less chance of success. Meanwhile the elite guilds will have to try even harder to find decent new blood as people pick up achievements by getting lucky because a friend of a friend of a friend knew a guild who had a slot one week.

8. Re: SWTOR Beta Patch, More on Ability Delay Patching Jan 7, 2012, 19:30 Lorcin

Rossafur wrote on Jan 7, 2012, 18:34:
Support for why I play this (and most other MMO's) like an SP game. Power-gaming DPS stat e-peen flexers drive me nuts.

Anyway, I just got Jaesa Willsaam as a companion for my Sith Marauder only to find out they didn't implement same-sex relations for her or *any* of the companions. Supposedly will be a "post-launch" addition, but who knows when that will be (if ever) or if it will even be retro-active for existing companions or only new ones. And yes, I'm pathetic enough that this could be a deal-breaker on continuing to play that character until it's implemented (if it's going to be implemented). I would have suffered through staring at a male character as my avatar if I knew this was the case. Curse them and curse me for not researching that it had been switched from a launch to a post-launch feature ahead of time!

I bloody hope they don't retroactively make some of my companions gay and my previously innocent compliments mean I'm suddenly in a relationship with them - btw before you condemn me as being homophobic imagine if the changes suddenly mean your in a straight relationship.

Furthermore if having ANY kind of relationship with a VIRTUAL character means that much to you that you'd stop playing the game, I strongly suggest you put the mouse down and go to the nearest gay/straight/transgender/hermaphrodite bar.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Jan 6, 2012, 20:28 Lorcin

No point in that petition - most of the pc gamers would just slag off the port and the graphics.  

1046 Comments. 53 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo