Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lorcin

Real Name Lorcin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Lorcin
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 28, 2005, 12:16
Total Comments 1077 (Pro)
User ID 23558

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
51. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 13:51 Lorcin

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 12:22:
Thanks man. I am far from having that much money

I started bounty hunting sunday morning with a stock adder with an added multigun and kws. Just hang around the nav point in an anarchy system and pick your targets, sometimes you get lucky and find mostly harmless asps worth 40k (they have no shield and can't shoot for toffee).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 12:20 Lorcin

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 11:52:
Lorcin wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 11:48:
I just took out my first anaconda. Master rated guy but only worth 57k. Felt so good in my little viper!
What modules/guns do you have on your Viper?

I'm not docked at a station with outfitting so from the modules list:

Thrusters B3
Shield A3
2 gimballed small Beam lasers E
2 gimballed medium multi-cannons F
Power Dist A3
Life Support C2
FSD B3
Shield Cell Bank C3
Sensors C3
Fuel scoop B1
KWS E
FSD Interdictor E1
Power Plant A3

I know I'm weak against chaff but NPCs don't use it that often and I normally only miss one pass if they do.

Judging from assets - cash on hand it's about 2m in total ship and upgrades. But I've earnt 2m from 153 bounties.

@inblack I had the same problem when I switched to an x52 the day gamma launched. Was sat here going "Where the hell is button 32" etc - then I found a pdf from the manual which showed the default layout, the printout is still on my desk

30. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 11:48 Lorcin

Flatline wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 11:42:

I'm bounty hunting in an Eagle right now. It's a blast. The ship is tougher than you'd give it credit for (especially if you upgrade it), and a good thruster upgrade makes it one of the most nimble ships in the game. Turrets are really the only thing that fuck me right now in it because I just don't have the staying power that a Cobra or even a Viper might have.

But that being said, in an upgraded eagle (which will cost you probably 1-200k, or a few hours of heavy bounty hunting) you pose a pretty significant threat.

Also, and this is a general suggestion, when you're approaching stations to dock, do yourself a favor and start thinking more newtonian by maneuvering your ship into docking position as best as possible using your thrust keys and not your joystick/mouse. So get used to strafing left right/up and down and maybe using rotation on the stick/mouse to let you line up with the letterbox. The sooner you get used to maneuvering using all your thrust vectors the quicker the game opens up for you.

Also, thrust is additive. So full throttle forward plus strafe left plus strafe up is going to have overall more speed in your final vector than if you were just going forward.

I just took out my first anaconda. Master rated guy but only worth 57k. Felt so good in my little viper!

14. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 10:38 Lorcin

Darks wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 10:36:
This I what concerns me about this game. they have gone ape shit overboard making the game way to complicated with controls and to the point of almost forcing you to have a complicated setup to play the game.

This is why I am passing on this game. I am hoping Star Citizen is not going to be the same mess. I don't want to wade thought a ton of keyboard options just to paly a flight sim, I want to enjoy it for what it really is and not have to feel like im in some real world BS. I get a feeling this was done to appease the hard Core players.

Erm everything works off an xbox controller if that's not too complex:

http://imgur.com/xyaLvUw

That said I never use my keyboard in elite - it's was all mapped to my hotas out of the box.

11. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 10:33 Lorcin

InBlack wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 10:12:
Is there any way to enable the mouse in the cocpit menus? I was struggling to bind keys from my joystick, the whole binding system is a horrible mess.

My first mission will be "Find your pre-order Eagle". Apparently its an agile and very lightly armoured fighter, thats music to my ears. So its just like a tie fighter, basically a flying space lazer! PEW PEW!

You're freagle should be in the system you start in - one of the stations will have a ship icon over it.

BTW forget TrackIR if you're on a budget have a look at this:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15316

TrackIR for very cheap as long as you have the most basic soldering skills.

Mouse in cockpit menus doesn't make sense - they're meant to run off a hat switch unless you want some freaky mouse/joystick combo but wouldn't that involve letting go of your joystick to grab you're mouse.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Launch Details; Trailer
16. Re: Elite: Dangerous Launch Details; Trailer Dec 11, 2014, 01:30 Lorcin

Erm yeah ok I'm busted - I'm a HUGE ED fan. But I've just started on the 4th book of the Dark Tower audio series whilst playing ED because both the audio book and the game have DEPTH.

I have pause mapped in 3 different ways because things can go sideways in ED so quickly. The game is mesmerising in it's simplicity, beauty and abruptness.

Yes this is a Michael Bay trailer for a Wes Anderson game but the best point is that if the designers want Michael Bay but have produced Wes Adnerson. If they can conceive both viewpoints - BRING IT

14. Re: Elite: Dangerous Launch Details; Trailer Dec 11, 2014, 01:07 Lorcin

Tom wrote on Dec 11, 2014, 00:05:
Hmph. This Gamma 2 version broke the TrackIR support. The game is now unplayable due to the view being lagged to hell, like they're applying some sort of smoothing to your head movement. They made a similar mistake in a previous beta release. When will developers learn that you can't screw with people's head movement? I'll try the game again once they fix this...

Works great with edtracker. Kinda typically british - your mega bucks setup fail, my home made setup kicks arse.

1. Re: Elite: Dangerous Launch Details; Trailer Dec 10, 2014, 20:34 Lorcin

Gamma 2 is nice - it's rapidly getting polished, little tweaks all over which add up nicely.

Playing on headphones with an x52, voice attack and an edtracker (homemade TrackIR) it's beautiful.

News Comments > No Elite: Dangerous Launch Wipe
55. Re: No Elite: Dangerous Launch Wipe Dec 9, 2014, 15:41 Lorcin

I think it's fair - we got wiped at the start of gamma a couple of weeks ago. In terms of new players stay solo, well yeah and it's not the first time.

Elite's solo mode lets people learn to fly and fight without all bashing into each other docking etc.

Even older MMOs had ways of protecting new players - Neocron had an implant you had to remove or you were safe. Eve has HighSec space where ganking is far less likely. Most other games have dedicated PVP realms/worlds etc.

I didn't realise how much I'd learnt until I stuck a friend on one the tutorial missions - it was a painful 15 mins as he tried to shoot down two sidewinders. Stopping to work out their flight patterns wasn't the best idea. Oh and whilst I find the reset view for my headtracker to be usefull on my pinkie switch, he hit it every time he turned hard which led to some interesting viewpoints!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2014, 17:57 Lorcin

Elite dangerous forums are blowing up again!

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=70786

This time it's because they've announced they're not wiping the progress since the Gamma launch a few weeks ago.

Personally I don't have a stake - I messed up yesterday and went from being worth 10.5m to 57k then cleared my save to repair faction standings

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 2014, 18:06.

News Comments > London-based Assassin's Creed: Victory Next Year
11. Re: London-based Assassin's Creed: Victory Next Year Dec 2, 2014, 22:14 Lorcin

This franchise should not be on the pc. Not because of the yearly releases, or the generally bad PC support. It shouldn't be here because the first game was pretty much over-hyped and boring.

Simply put - I played the first game, didn't like it, won't buy any of the rest. Before Mass Effect 3 came out I replayed both the prequels and their dlc so I went into the game knowing exactly where I stood in that universe (mistake). My issue is Ass Creed 1 didn't grab me with either it's story or gameplay - I MEH'd it about 5 hours in. Now 7 or 8 games down the line I'm never gonna play one because I know I couldn't play the latest unless I'd sat through all of them.

The next game could be declared the ultimate game of all time - but I would never play it because to do so would mean sitting through that first let down again.

Oh btw Ubisoft - you think this post is about Ass Creed? IT COUNTS FOR WATCH DOGS TOO YOU PERENNIALLY OVER-HYPED *&"%^&*(%$^*%$*("^&$)*"&$_)! Not gonna buy "Watch_dogs2: The puppies" cause the first one was a massive letdown.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Goes "Gamma"
71. Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 24, 2014, 21:34 Lorcin

Have they though or are we too close to the core systems to receive kill missions?

As for the nearly dead NPCs jumping, yes it frustrates the hell out of me. But when I've also managed to jump at 4% hull I can see that it's a realistic tactic.

69. Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 24, 2014, 20:57 Lorcin

Anyhow my night ended up pretty shite - my friend who is good at soldering came over to take a look at the usb socket on my EDtracker (homemade trackir) which had completely come off the Arduino Micro Pro taking two tracks with it. He arrived JUST when I should have started cooking for the family so we ended up having pizza. After a while everything was working, then we popped to the shops and spent too much on tat like normal.

Come home and just as my friend is leaving I realise the Edtracker is dead again, this time it works sporadically but I could see the problem joint. So scrape back the glue gun glue and resolder the dodgy connection. That's when it became clear the surface mount capacitors on the arduino had been through enough - as they started moving around the board.

So my EDtracker is dead and then it hits me. Buying pizza for my family or 5, my friend and his son cost as much as buying a complete, built, tested EDtracker from the guys who actually invented the thing.

Oh and bounty hunting is frustrating - half you're interdiction target's will vanish just as you start to get into range. Half the ships you interdict will jump at 30% health. You can't use anything but lasers on most targets or the ammo cost will equal you're bounty. Oh and never try bounty hunting in a developed system - either the local security force will arrive and hit you're target once meaning you get no bounty, or they'll just fly into you're fire and fine you for the privilege.

I've actually downgraded from a Viper to a Hauler simply because the hauling job is a steady income compared to a near bottom of the range viper trying to bounty hunt (had the money - not seen modules worth upgrading too)

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2014, 21:02.

65. Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 24, 2014, 18:49 Lorcin

You can search? it's one of the tabs in the galaxy map. I did have to write down my path once - but that was only just after the gamma went live and server was unstable.

Hate to say it but I fear this game will get marked down because people are used to being spoon fed games now.

51. Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 24, 2014, 06:41 Lorcin

It was briefly discussed in the launch premiere event. The Thargoids are the classic uncommunicative hostile aliens that ripped you from hyperspace and blasted you to hell.

David Braben basically said their not talking about them yet - take from that what you will but as they were such a big part of the classic game I'm sure they'll put in an appearance at some point.

49. Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 24, 2014, 06:07 Lorcin

Dala wrote on Nov 24, 2014, 05:44:
Prez wrote on Nov 23, 2014, 19:32:
Hopefully after launch and when things are running smoothly they will reconsider the offline mode.

This would be good.

I have a feeling that they might have shelved plans for the offline mode due to the likelihood that most modern personal computers could not adequately mirror what they have on the server side by themselves. For example, the database on the server side could hold in excess of ten terabytes of data.

I am not saying it is impossible to get around such a problem, but it might take significant rewrites of code to get it functional on an average modern personal computer.

You may be right - I'm in no way a programmer but surely they would need a database with records of every station and ship around 400 billion stars. Oh and every commodity on every station.

Yes they could just keep track of everything within 30 and 40 light years of the player and randomly generate the rest as needed but that would erm lead..to a restricted..non-dynamic..randomly generated universe.

OHHHHH.

Maybe that's why a single player offline version ending up not being viable - the database on this thing must be MASSIVE.

I wonder how much hassle they'd have got for announcing offline mode would need a few terabits of free space on everybody's laptop which they use on their Artic expeditions.

45. Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 24, 2014, 04:25 Lorcin

I spent 90 mins or so as a bounty hunter last night - I don't know about piracy but bounty hunting was fun. I earn't about 14k from 3 kills but had to pay about 1.5k for repairs/fuel and built up a small fine with the empire.

I'm sure piracy would work quiet well and it's fun chasing down people in SC then interdicting them. I would recommend getting good at escaping interdiction first - catching is the same mechanic.

Either I suddenly got good at it from beta to gamma or switching from a F.L.Y 5 to a X52 setup really made a difference.

3. Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 23, 2014, 11:34 Lorcin

Cutter wrote on Nov 23, 2014, 11:13:
No one cares...now.

Erm I do - played about 12 hours of the gamma so far. Not had any crashes since 5pm yesterday and only noticed 2 minor bugs. It's shaping up really well.

News Comments > Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped
242. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 17, 2014, 16:41 Lorcin

Someone made a poll on the beta forums asking Choose one option for A & one for B, which closest matches your feelings:

(A) I can't ever play without Offline Mode (internet is unavailable or very intermittent) 33 3.69%
(A) I can't play sometimes without Offline Mode (internet only available sometimes) 69 7.71%
(A) I can play most of the time without Offline Mode (occasional lack of reliable internet) 73 8.16%
(A) I don't need Offline Mode now, but want it for when the servers are switched-off 253 28.27%
(A) I'd like Offline Mode, but can live without it 183 20.45%
(A) I don't care about Offline Mode. 319 35.64%

(B) Offline Mode can be a completely unchanging galaxy (static markets, missions, stations, etc) 259 28.94%
(B) Offline Mode NEEDS to have randomly changing markets, but otherwise can be unchanging 166 18.55%
(B) Offline Mode NEEDS to allow updates (once a month) to stay in sync with the multiplayer galaxy 103 11.51%
(B) Offline Mode NEEDS to have almost all features of multiplayer galaxy (likely impossible!) 44 4.91%

The 3.69% are VERY vocal

News Comments > Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped
205. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 17, 2014, 08:51 Lorcin

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 08:27:
So you are assuming they are able to just refund backers money? I thought that money from the backers went towards developing the game.

Well yeah I'm thinking they could - after all they did an IPO in the middle of last year which as I write this gives them a market cap of 91.58m. Refunding the 1.578m on kickstarter shouldn't be hard. As for the rest of the pre-orders? I doubt they total more than 10m and I for one wouldn't want a refund. They offer me access to the gamma code but posted as an Alpha version of a full Elite MMO or a refund and I'd take the Alpha access.

1077 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo