Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lorcin

Real Name Lorcin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Lorcin
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 28, 2005, 12:16
Total Comments 1077 (Pro)
User ID 23558

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Transfers Clarified; Specs Next Week
11. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Transfers Clarified; Specs Next Week Dec 18, 2014, 00:17 Lorcin

Rockstar had my money. Can I put my ps3 bluray into my pc and it validates the fact I already bought this game?

No? Waiting for sale

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
176. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 18, 2014, 00:06 Lorcin

Vall Forran wrote on
Aw, you edited. Wasn't trying to sound snarky...This game is weird. I can imagine if some grouping mechanic was implemented, you'd have groups of forty 15 year old assholes destroying everything raid-style. So, I kind of feel for Frontier. It would be nice to group, but I get how it could totally break the game. Also...I'd get tons of shit thrown at me for taking too long in space stations. [/quote:

Sorry - I have social anxiety. But this is one game I can confidently say forty 40 year olds would rip apart forty 15 year olds. The ultimate skill in elite is knowing your place and using experience to telegraph your opponents move..

173. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 23:06 Lorcin

btw try muting the music and playing an audiobook while you play.

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2014, 23:41.

171. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 22:54 Lorcin

I'm sure there's more but Komovoy is anarchy has a couple of stations and is within 2 jumps of fed, emp and ali systems.

I only play solo so feel free to gank pirates there cause we won't be tripping over each others feet.

Aside from that I'm tempted to change my gimballed lasers for turrets. They do less damage but have a greater range of movement. With gimbals they stay within the central "windscreen" but I know if I'm edtracking upwards I can see my target probably double the time it's actually within my "windshield"

Will test it tomorrow - bit tipsy now.

169. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 20:17 Lorcin

Flatline wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 18:57:

If you're at zero speed though interdiction is nearly instantaneous. The only time I've ever successfully interdicted was parked at 30km/s around a star fueling up. Before I could start to steer it was over. So I usually take it *way* down but not all the way down. Or I skim-bounce at 50% throttle.

Never had this - for some reason I very rarely get interdicted. Like once a night tops.

Bizarre idea my commander name is Zaust - maybe they go through the contact list alphabetically

163. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 18:52 Lorcin

Vall Forran wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 18:39:
Problem with that is it takes a valuable equipment slot. Good to know, though. Didn't realize they were taken out. I've never scooped fuel before. Flying into the sun seems wrong somehow.

You can get more quicker by not flying - just cut your at about 90-100% heat levels and scoop until you hit 135% then break away. You don't take heat damage until you hit 150%.

Oh and remember to cool down before you hit FSD or you will overheat.

152. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 14:35 Lorcin

Vall Forran wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 13:09:
SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 11:26:
Edit:
And damn all of you for being either on the east coast, or extremely early risers.

Or not waking up until 4pm but living in the UK

138. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 12:55 Lorcin

Sorry was getting nagged to go to the supermarket. You have a power distributor in a power coupling slot on the outfitting screen. That supplies your weapons capacity, afterburner capacity and shield reserve as well as the speed they recharge.

It's not an expensive upgrade either - my A3 one is only 158k. Much cheaper than A grade FSDs etc.

135. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 11:38 Lorcin

Not sure on the tonnage to be honest but it's power distributor which helps with the overheat.  

133. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 11:20 Lorcin

It doesn't really matter what fire group you put the scanner in - like the frame shift drive indicator it's one you use mainly during supercruise. I have discovery in 2nd slot of second fire group and indicator in 1st slot. When I indicate something in those few seconds when you're getting you ship back under control I hit the next fire group button and up pop my weapons.

BTW Spectral laser's tend to take down shields quicker then the multi-guns and don't cost you ammunition. Multi-guns are better against hull so it's generally better to to carry both and switch between them depending on the status of the target.

109. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 23:28 Lorcin

Vall Forran wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 23:09:
Anyone check out the slave rebellion in empire space (Sorbago system) yet? Turns out, I'm only 5 jumps from it. I thought I was in the middle of nowhere. Still have yet to see a player.

Too chicken to jump there atm.

I have a lakon 6 pretty souped up (with equipment, only base lasers and point defence should someone try and gank me) worth 2.5 million. I have 1.5 million in cash. I was going to save up for the Asp, but I'm kinda eager to fight something. Maybe I'll buy another Cobra, or even a viper instead, and save the Asp for later.

My viper is worth 2.4m atm and it's still not quite maxed. The cobra's guns are too far apart and a fully maxed asp is way out of your price range.

If you want a fighter take viper, all rounder take cobra, asp? save up

107. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 22:39 Lorcin

Cutter wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 22:12:
What happens if you say 'Computer, tea, Earl Grey, hot.'?

Magneto shoots you in the back then rescues the hobbits from Isenguard.

BTW Dacron please tell me you managed to get the name Commander Bandit. Being able to tell my 'normal' friends "I got my assed kicked by a one armed bandit last night" would be too cool.

104. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 21:29 Lorcin

Dacron wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 20:49:

That's where (among other areas) the voice commander SpectralMeat mentioned would be a help.

"target ship ahead" (or whatever it uses for syntax)
selects target
"target power plant"
selects sub-system

I've got Voice Attack and a ED addon for it. It's nice stuff in general for simple things like jump, gear etc. But it's only truly useful for things I can't press quicker than I can say.

It has very limited macro support for things like "request dock" but eventually it is limited by running in the background with only 1 way traffic to ED. It can press keys, but it can't know what happens in the game.

I guess maybe if every class of NPC ships power plant could be targeted by pressing the same button repeatedly you could get away with "Target Sidewinder power" and it presses the key 5 times, or "Target Anaconda power" and it presses 15 times.

Trouble is some NPCs don't seem to own shields - so we'd need "Target Harmless Anaconda" etc etc

Given there's currently 15 live ships and 9 different combat rankings; somebody would need to count the button presses to get to the power plant for each of the 135 builds (that's assuming every Npc has the same loadout).

It would also obviously be useless for PVP - I'm sure cookie cutter setups will turn up but ultimately they could all be foiled by people deviating from the standard layout of modules.

EDIT: just realised that a one armed person could play elite with the help of voice attack

101. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 20:39 Lorcin

Quboid wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 20:27:
Lorcin wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 17:28:
Aero wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 17:03:
Quboid wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 16:45:
Is there any way to have the mouse always be used for looking around except when on a mouse-driven menu (i.e. when the pointer is visible)?

I believe there is an option for that under control options. I forget what it's called exactly and it might not be exactly what you're looking for. Frankly the frontend UI leaves something to be desired. I'd assumed that would get a bigger makeover by 1.0.

I think it's Headlock under Mode Switches about 2/3 of the way down the list. Mine's defaulted to Mouse 3 and set as a toggle.

That also changes my joystick's hat from lateral thrusters to look around, which is specifically what I don't want. Mouse-driven menus aside, I want the mouse to be my head while my joystick is my joystick controls my ship.

This wouldn't be practical in combat for tracking an opponent so it's not a big problem but navigation would be a little easier, especially for a newbie who struggles to find his bay.

(I've just now discovered that when I plug my USB headset in, ED switches from my speakers automatically. Hurrah!)

Ok you want mouse headlook on at the very start of the menu.

Then clear any joy mappings from the headlook mode 90% of the way down - just pick a single unused key and overwrite any joy mapping in that section with the same button.

97. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 19:44 Lorcin

Aero wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 18:48:
Dacron wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 18:01:
I tried sub-systems targeting (aiming for power plant) as I have heard you can destroy targets before 0%... but even targeting power plants they only blew up when they hit 0%, is there a better subsystem to target for quicker kills?

I don't usually bother with subsystems unless it's a weapon that's giving me particular grief, but life support can be a good one.

edit:

Oh yeah, and ships definitely pop when the power plant is destroyed regardless of their remaining hull. Really, it might be just as well to target it as a matter of course and maybe you get lucky. So far as I know there's no downside to targeting a subsystem and missing because it's on the other side of the ship or something.

Yeah just paid more attention - 'conda popped at 17% hull when it's powerplant hit 0. I guess if I had better aim/spatial awareness I could have done it quicker.

Probably worth toggling through 'previous subsystems' as you do the KWS scan - going forwards you have to go through all the weapon/utility mounts before you get to the FSD or Powerplant.

An option to auto-target a particular subsystem would be nice but not really in Elite's low-tech style.

94. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 18:12 Lorcin

I think I popped a python once at about 40% by having it's power plant targeted - but maybe it was being ganked by more than me. Can't see the remaining % most of the time.  

87. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 17:28 Lorcin

Aero wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 17:03:
Quboid wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 16:45:
Is there any way to have the mouse always be used for looking around except when on a mouse-driven menu (i.e. when the pointer is visible)?

I believe there is an option for that under control options. I forget what it's called exactly and it might not be exactly what you're looking for. Frankly the frontend UI leaves something to be desired. I'd assumed that would get a bigger makeover by 1.0.

I think it's Headlock under Mode Switches about 2/3 of the way down the list. Mine's defaulted to Mouse 3 and set as a toggle.

78. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 16:26 Lorcin

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 16:15:
Dude, Lorcin, all the good advice is much appreciated but please watch this for a minute to learn the proper use of "your":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FdKPEA17m4

Hehe you sound like my wife. I seem to have a mental block on that one. Sorry.

69. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 15:41 Lorcin

Vall Forran wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 15:23:
Thanks Lorcin! I didn't know that. I need to get a combat ship ready, I'm getting tired of trading.

Damn now I'm worried I have something wrong. Point to note - I tend to only hang out at the Nav Beacon - if it get's quiet just pop into supercruise and reapproach and a load more ships will pop up. I also tend to only shoot the factions not alligned with anyone (unless someone has a really big bounty), that said the drug cartel who have major influence in the system I'm in and are my main prey still regard me as neutral.

66. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 15:15 Lorcin

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 14:04:
Thank you!
Just grabbed an Adder last night put a multigun on it and I did some trade runs but didn't have time to do anything else yet.
I will find an Anarchy system near by tonight and do what you said.
Is the kws very important/useful? I am not quiet sure how it works. Does it give you last points of location of your target or you scan the whole system and it gives you exact location?

Thanks again for the info

Yeah the KWS is really important in anarchy systems - nothing will show as wanted in the system. You scan the KWS then check them on the contacts page and it shows how much they are worth in civilized space - they will still display as "Clean" in you're lower left.

You can shoot whomever you want in an anarchy system - no police and you won't get fined or a wanted status. The rest of their faction will turn red towards you but won't actually attack and will forget about you once you leave the system.

Basic benefits of anarchy seem to be no loss of rep with any faction (that I've ever noticed), no kill stealing police, majority of contacts are worth money once you KWS them.

Disadvantages are you don't seem to gain rep with any faction either and you gain bounties to pick up in federation, empire and alliance space so end up flying around a bit to get them. I tend to stick to borders with 2 of the factions and fly to the 3rd when I have a big enough chunk to collect.

EDIT: Don't forget you lose any outstanding bounties when you die - so don't wait forever to break off and collect you're earnings.

This comment was edited on Dec 16, 2014, 15:23.

1077 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo