Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for David Krider

Real Name David Krider   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dunkirk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.davidkrider.com
Signed On Jan 26, 2000, 03:35
Total Comments 64 (Suspect)
User ID 2352

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam for Linux Beta Client
6. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Client Nov 6, 2012, 15:52 Dunkirk

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 15:43:
It's just a progressive rollout... Not like it'll be closed beta with this same group of people forever, just wait a few weeks and everybody who wants in will have it.

That's what I'm telling myself. The problem is that it was supposed to open the first week of October, and that slipped a month. I know it's Valve time, and all. So it can be a crap-shoot.

Acts 17:28 - "For in Him we live, and move, and have our being."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam for Linux Beta Client
4. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Client Nov 6, 2012, 15:31 Dunkirk

Bah humbug. I've run Linux for 18 years, 14 for full time now. I'm running Ubuntu these days. I have dual nVidia 9800's. I average 10 hours a week gaming on my Windows partition. I have many hundreds of dollars of games bought in my library. I applied, but apparently didn't get it. I was hoping that I'd be a perfect fit. I haven't wanted to be in a lot of betas over the years, but this one I sure did. I'm really disappointed.  

News Comments > Steam Linux Plans
26. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 17, 2012, 12:54 Dunkirk

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 08:07:
Linux looks like ass, is more difficult to use, barely supports games, has limited application support, has poor driver support, has a poor user experience, etc. To claim that it is superior to Windows is laughable. That's not to say it doesn't have many merits but if you want to do anything practical with your computer then that pretty much rules out Linux.

The year 2000 called. They want their anti-Linux flamebait back.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 to Add 5th Class Via DLC
12. Re: Borderlands 2 to Add 5th Class Via DLC Apr 9, 2012, 14:49 Dunkirk

It just goes to show that I really need to change my buying habits to only buy games when they finally go on sale, along with all the "DLC" that's been made, at once. If I could ever delay a couple of big purchases for a year or so, I could just get back to buying games at normal pace. Plus, it would be easier on my hardware, as (on the average) I will have more time to have upgraded my machine.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link
15. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link Oct 19, 2011, 08:31 Dunkirk

Anyone know how many DLC's they expect to make, and if they're going to release a "GOTY" version with everything all at once, sometime in the future?  

News Comments > RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers
166. Re: RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers Oct 6, 2011, 12:43 Dunkirk

Lorcin wrote on Oct 5, 2011, 03:12:
Anyone noticed the desktop icon looks just like the Borderlands one but prettier?

Based on your comment, I've noticed that the whole game is basically a rehash of Borderlands. Enjoyable, but this has already been done, and with more style. And fun.

123. Re: RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers Oct 4, 2011, 17:50 Dunkirk

Fibrocyte wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 13:18:

Try the tweaks I posted earlier in this thread:

1. Create this directory: c:\users\<username>\appdata\local\id software\rage -- a cache file is supposed to exist here but the directory doesn't get created as part of install.

2. In steam, r-click your game, goto properties, and add the following line into the startup parameters: +cvaradd g_fov 20 +set com_skipIntroVideo 1 +set com_allowConsole 1 +fc_maxcachememoryMB 1024 +ik_enablesmoothing 0 +image_usecompression 0 +jobs_numthreads 4 +mem_phymemblocksizem 3072 +m_smooth 0 +m_rawinput 1

3. I downloaded the latest BETA drivers from Nvidia and installed them. The version is 285.38 - for reference, my video card is a GTX 560.

4. While RAGE is not running, visit the Nvidia control panel and change Vsync from "Application Controlled" to "Force On".

I don't know about the variables stuck in the startup command line, but the change to the beta drivers was MONEY. My system is running like butter! I'm stuck at the framecap of 60. (Admittedly, I had it turned down to 1024x768.) I was ready to let this game sit until I could upgrade my video card(s), but these suggestions have flipped the bit to "playable."

86. Re: RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers Oct 4, 2011, 14:11 Dunkirk

Fibrocyte wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 13:18:
Try the tweaks I posted earlier in this thread

I will DEFINITELY try this tonight. THANK YOU.

34. Re: RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers Oct 4, 2011, 12:15 Dunkirk

Yeah, I'm feeling a little used. With 6 years in the making, I really thought this would be a great combination of Borderlands and Fallout, both of which I love. So I preordered. I played for just 45 minutes this morning before work, and I wasn't impressed, either by the gameplay, or the visuals. I should have known. I bought the iPhone app last fall. That's what the gameplay basically is. On the performance side, I knew I was underspec'ed. I have dual 8800GT's. With the minimum being a single, I thought I'd be ok. Not great, but ok. (The recommended is only a 9800.) After all, the big deal about the engine was that it was supposed to scale. I didn't realize how it would do that. The "pop-in" is pretty drastic for me, and every time I turn, I grind down to 30 fps from the usual 50+ if I stand still. So I'm not happy about my purchase, but if Bethesda gets my money and uses it to create Fallout 4, I'd say that was a great investment. (I've played through 3 and NV about 10 times each.)  

News Comments > BF3 Preorder Backlash
43. Re: BF3 Preorder Backlash Jun 13, 2011, 15:47 Dunkirk

I just canceled my Duke pre-order, based on what I was reading here. I was really looking forward to this game as well, but I was going to have to buy a new video card to play it anyway. Looks like I'll just wait till all the dust settles.  

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Starts Shipping
24. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Starts Shipping Jun 10, 2011, 08:11 Dunkirk

Holy crap. You guys are making me really, really regret pre-ordering this thing. Now, I'm NOT looking forward to getting home to play it. If it sucks as bad as you folks are suggesting, I'm going to want to stab myself for spending $45 on it.  

News Comments > More Fallout: New Vegas DLC Confirmed
13. Re: More Fallout: New Vegas DLC Confirmed Jan 24, 2011, 15:02 Dunkirk

StingingVelvet wrote on Jan 24, 2011, 13:40:
I fucking hated Operation Anchorage and Mothership Zeta for being entirely combat focused and poorly designed anyway. Broken Steel also had too much damn combat and ruined character balance by adding 10 levels, but I still use it for the added quests, which aren't bad.

I just don't enjoy NV as much as I did 3. That bothers me. I recognize the qualities of NV that make it more true to the original(s), and I've wanted to like it more. I kept noodling on this, and it finally dawned on me: There's not enough combat in NV to keep me interested. (What can I say? I actually liked Tactics.)

Look at the situation with buildings. In NV, for what (non-storyline-related) locations there are, you get a room or two. There might be a couple of items worth scavenging. In 3, there are very detailed buildings and tunnels, all over the map, that have LOADS of enemies, and tons of collectibles.

I played a marathon session a few days ago, and I spent -- literally -- hours managing my inventory to try to actually craft some items (besides weapon repair kits) this time around. It was boring! So I'm actually hoping that any DLC's (that make it to the PC) are actually total combat fests, JUST LIKE Zeta and Broken Steel! Just wanting to throw that out there in case the creators are reading these comments.

News Comments > Bethesda: RAGE Demo Doubtful
37. Re: Bethesda: RAGE Demo Doubtful Jan 21, 2011, 10:09 Dunkirk

Good grief! I can't believe the level of vitriol I'm seeing here. Video games are a great value for entertainment. Even at $50, the cost per hour of video gaming is virtually nothing compared to almost any other form of entertainment I can think of. So what if you buy a stinker now or then. Shoot, by the time you figure out you don't like a game, you've probably already played it for 2 or 3 hours. That alone would make it worth at least some money.

Maybe it's just me, but I have a good sense of what I'd like. I threw some money at the indy's during the Steam sales and the Humble Bundles, but I knew I wouldn't care for those games. I just thought it would be cool to support them. Sure enough, I don't really like most (almost all) of them, but I spent time playing around with them before I could tell, and that's worth something. In general, I've only given up and not finished a handful of games over the past 15 years because I didn't like them. I'd say the gamble has averaged out and paid off. For every one I didn't finish, I've played 5 through a dozen times.

You don't think you'd like it? Fine. Don't buy it. But NOT buying it REGARDLESS of whether you think you'd like it, BECAUSE there's no demo? Please. I think you're taking your $50 entertainment budget a little too seriously.

News Comments > Cross Platform Portal 2 Confirmed
11. Re: Cross Platform Portal 2 Confirmed Jan 18, 2011, 10:32 Dunkirk

mch wrote on Jan 18, 2011, 10:23:
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to, other source games have PC/Mac compatibility (TF2, L4D1 & 2)

<keanu>Woah.</keanu>

<carson>Did NOT know that.</carson>

News Comments > Cross Platform Portal 2 Confirmed
7. Re: Cross Platform Portal 2 Confirmed Jan 18, 2011, 10:19 Dunkirk

So am I going to be able to play co-op on my PC with a buddy on his Mac? If so, I'm probably going to be buying one of those Steam multi packs...  

News Comments > No XP Battlefield 3?
103. Re: No XP Battlefield 3? Jan 3, 2011, 13:20 Dunkirk

Verno wrote on Jan 3, 2011, 12:50:
Yes, certainly typing text into Google when you run into a minor compatibility problem is a huge hassle that could easily influence getting rid of your operating system. I can totally see how running Linux and Windows XP are much easier things by comparison Artist That mole hill, it's a mountain!

Now you're getting it! I have an XP install disk that's slipstreamed with SP3 and my motherboard's RAID driver. Going back was really easy!

Horses for courses: I don't value learning to fiddle with compatibility mode.

And you're saying that it takes a lot of work to run XP or Linux, but you're hacking 7 to fit on your ridiculously-cheap hard drive space? Glass houses, buddy.

This comment was edited on Jan 3, 2011, 13:30.

101. Re: No XP Battlefield 3? Jan 3, 2011, 12:44 Dunkirk

It's not my fault you claimed to be able to maintain a Linux installation but somehow failed to run a few 5+ year old games in Windows 7 despite others being able to.

Bingo. And it's not my fault that you can't seem to grasp that my point had less to do with "failed to run" than with being "not worth the hassle" while XP is still supported.

96. Re: No XP Battlefield 3? Jan 3, 2011, 10:35 Dunkirk

You go, Dev. I know I'm late to the party here, but I got trashed the last time I brought this up, and I don't expect it to be any different this time, VERNO.

I tried Win7 on my rig (which was Sierra Hotel for performance as of a couple years ago) and I couldn't get SWKOTOR or BF2 to work on it. Everyone says that they "just work," and then follow that up with "if you just do this and this and..." WELL THEN IT DIDN'T "JUST WORK," NOW, DID IT!?

I know game programmers can't keep supporting XP forever, and I will probably want to play BF3. Easy solution: Triple boot XP, 7, and Linux. Problem solved. Now to buy some bigger drives, and a dedicated RAID card. (I'm striped with the onboard fake-RAID currently.)

Guess it's a good thing that I won't be able to afford SSD's, given what is being said about the size of a 7 installation. I didn't notice when I had it installed.

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Patched
17. No subject Dec 14, 2010, 09:43 Dunkirk

DedEye wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 08:49:
fallout new vegas was way better than fallout 3, and much more fallout-y in general

QFT, especially the music.

First, REALLY nice avatar.

Second, TOTALLY agree on the music. They brought back a lot of the atmospherics from both Fallout 2 AND Fallout Tactics. Love it!

Third -- and I find the discussion on this point intriguing -- I simply don't enjoy NV as much as 3. I haven't been able to put my finger on it exactly, but it's just not as... engaging?... fun... to me. It's good, and I'm glad I got it, but I disagree pretty strongly that it's better than 3. I've played 3 through about 10 times. I'm already bored in the second playthrough on NV.

Horses for courses.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops Easter Egg
11. PC Easter Egg Nov 24, 2010, 14:28 Dunkirk

Coolest easter egg I've seen: Playing Darwinia on Christmas day. It snows, and the little guys have santa hats on.  

64 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo