Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Karl J. S.

Real Name Karl J. S.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname swedishfriend
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Smart, loving and confident.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 29, 2005, 17:37
Total Comments 162 (Novice)
User ID 23407

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 12, 2013, 14:34 swedishfriend

I still feel a disconnect between my hand and the mouse cursor on the screen using windows 7. On my Amiga it feels more instant, less disconnected. My core duo macbook (first intel generation) has about half the latency when doing audio recording compared to current hardware running windows 7.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2013, 12:38 swedishfriend

These days at least a third of the country is worried because of this illegal activity that they take part in. I expect a huge boon if so much worry, fear and paranoia leaves the culture. The baseline for fear and paranoia will change so even if you don't use it you will still feel a difference in your daily life.  

News Comments > Double Fine Gets Emotional About Game Rights
3. Re: Double Fine Gets Emotional About Game Rights May 12, 2013, 12:17 swedishfriend

"...all this money..."

Might be like $5. They didn't say how much Nordic Games want for publishing rights for those 2 small titles.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. May 7, 2013, 12:24 swedishfriend

STFU about valve time. They are one of the most prolific developers out there.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
9. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 10, 2013, 11:31 swedishfriend

In other news: Housing prices in Austin just jumped up 25%.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
18. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 12:03 swedishfriend

Umbragen wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 09:35:
Trying to think of someone whose opinion I give less of a shit about...

Richard Garriott, maybe.

So two of the most influential people in gaming don't interest you? Why are you reading about games on the internet?

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
14. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 25, 2013, 13:48 swedishfriend

PHJF wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 11:38:

Without actually reading the article, I'm a little excited for the PS4 because I think it's good news for PC gaming for a few reasons. We'll see.

I'm a little excited because maybe I'll get to play Last Guardian now! Huzzah!

There are so many PS3s out there and once they go below $200 they will sell even more. For a game that has been worked on so long it would be a bad idea to try to sell it to the much smaller market of a new console. Don't get me wrong I would love if they have been working on moving it over to the next gen for a while already. So much more money to be made on the PS3 though.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Reviews Soar
15. Re: BioShock Infinite Reviews Soar Mar 25, 2013, 13:37 swedishfriend

System shock was barely playable. It doesn't matter how good the rest of the ingredients are if I don't ever want to keep playing it.  

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Budget Rumor Denied
30. Re: BioShock Infinite Budget Rumor Denied Mar 23, 2013, 11:10 swedishfriend

Looks like Bioshock sold close to 6 million units so far. That has to be a commercial success for such a small game.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 21, 2013, 20:53 swedishfriend

When I have gone to a 3D movie in a theatre it has been great. Only see 3D films that were shot that way would be my recommendation. I don't understand the hate.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: gaming industry crashing Mar 21, 2013, 20:27 swedishfriend

Gaming has never been mainstream before. The big publishers are not the only game in town these days. It is very easy to find out about the quality of a game before buying these days. Plus there are many more high quality games now than there ever were before in history. Gaming today is very different from the way it was in 1983.  

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Mar 21, 2013, 19:55 swedishfriend

crysis 3 seems to be 33% off. $20 dollars less than $60. 1/3rd off or 33%  

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 20, 2013, 23:17 swedishfriend

Reading the full article I must point out that they are talking about being able to keep games up to date in low power states. They are not talking about requiring an internet connection to play games.  

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 20, 2013, 23:13 swedishfriend

Redmask wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 21:20:
mag wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 19:13:
Cutter wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 16:37:
All Sony has to do to win is not do that and allow used game sales.

Sony already said that they are going to allow used game sales.

Apparently they walked it back after the event and said no plans are finalized yet. Lame.

Nope. Regarding used games and always on connection they have said they will not do either of those. This was after their event. They cannot stop an individual game from doing these things though.

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 20, 2013, 23:03 swedishfriend

Sony has said officially that they will not restrict used games. They have also said that they will not require an always on connection.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 19, 2013, 01:01 swedishfriend

This news came the same day as news of yet another study showing that filesharing has a positive effect on sales. Free streaming has a 7% positive effect and filesharing has a 2% positive effect. If you listen to a song for free you are more likely to buy that song. Every major study not sponsored by the industry has shown the same results. The industry is basically suing people for helping them spread the word about their songs. We should be charging them 5% to listen to music streams and it would still be worth it to them. Greed causes them to shoot themselves in the foot instead.  

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 7, 2013, 17:55 swedishfriend

Nope. That is like one of the last steps, say step 9136. You have to nail down the internals so that the case will make sense for noise and heat removal, etc. The internals cannot be nailed down too early because they are committing to a huge number of certain components each having its own cost which is constantly changing with technology and competition. Notice they didn't say how fast the CPU was. They may not have decided at the point when they made that presentation. They seemed to have the GPU and memory locked down (they mentioned RAM bandwidth and GPU TeraFLOP numbers).  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
21. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 26, 2013, 13:09 swedishfriend

Pricing: We will see fewer $60 titles and more at 30-50. COD and the like will keep getting an additional $60 in DLC for many of its customers. I don't think they can or should go for higher initial cost outside of special editions.

Sony PS4 Event: I thought it was one of the best ever. Mark Cerny has been in charge of the platform for 5 years already. This means the special stuff they were talking about probably already works if not yet on the final hardware. Lots of actual in-engine game footage 9 months out from release. More solid and interesting stuff rather than flash and fantasy. Seems to be lots of people in the game and tech industry who say something similar. So maybe a great announcement for those who care and bland for the larger audience?

23. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 18, 2013, 16:01 swedishfriend

Seems to me he is saying that no console ever could match a "nuclear power plant" level extreme special built PC in terms of raw power. He isn't really putting down the consoles at all, just talking about where his company is aiming vs where the mainstream is aiming. If you can afford to aim further ahead into the future then that might be a good strategy. Console makers cannot afford to do this as they don't want to take a loss on their hardware for too long. Personally I am excited for both the PC space and the console space now that gaming is becoming more accepted in general.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 18, 2013, 12:11 swedishfriend

office 2013 will be locked to a single machine? I don't think that will hold up to any push back whatsoever. Have to wait for updates? so MS wants to create an extra threat vector? if half its users don't go for the 365 version are they still going to treat 2013 users as second class? these possible warnings about office 2013 are all based on the assumption that 95% of the users will switch to a subscription model... We want to make things worse for you but better for us so won't you help make that happen by believing our FUD?  

162 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo