Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Karl J. S.

Real Name Karl J. S.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname swedishfriend
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Smart, loving and confident.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 29, 2005, 17:37
Total Comments 162 (Novice)
User ID 23407

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 7, 2014, 14:08 swedishfriend

Beamer wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 10:58:
NegaDeath wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 10:30:
Well shit look at that, piracy is down. And not because of their legal goons suing grandmothers. It's almost like customers wanted distribution schemes that match the modern age rather than just having to pirate stuff or buy discs. Weird.

Yeah, but that's a hollow victory. That means that, in order to stop piracy, they had to give it away for free. Which is basically what Spotify is. No one makes money via Spotify, not even Spotify, though they make more than the labels or artists do.

It isn't a very good solution if you want to make money off of music. Having a high percentage pirate and a small percentage buy was probably more profitable.

That said, I love Spotify.

Good thing people are spending more than ever to buy music. I gave up on Spotify as music I was looking for wasn't on there and more is disappearing. There is probably 100 times as many artists who can make a living off of their music since filesharing came along. More money is being spent on buying music while the top 40 suffers. This means a great democratization of spending on music is happening as money is spread out to many more artists.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 8, 2014, 11:34 swedishfriend

In the past theaters would lower prices to get more people in the door. Now they just keep raising prices. People have less money to spend now than 10-15 years ago but ticket prices have doubled. Makes no sense to me. Most of the ticket money goes to the studio anyways, why would the theater not focus on getting as many people through the door as possible? If the studios charge too much for new releases, use older 3D films that are known to be good as half of your line-up. Most of the people I know are just starting to get interested in 3D movies because they are figuring out the difference between films that were shot stereoscopically and those that were converted. I have seen Avatar and Brave in 3D and all others I am staying away from until I have a way of watching them in 3D the way they were shot. 3D is just starting to be accepted but people are talking like the fad is over...  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 7, 2014, 14:13 swedishfriend

Flappy birds took two months to slowly climb the charts. I absolutely remember hearing about this game on podcasts towards the end of last year because people and especially their kids were playing it. Two months is plenty of time for word of mouth to spread especially among kids. His other games rose up the charts after the success of Flappy Birds which makes sense if real people liked his game and checked out his older games. Either he mimicked real traffic perfectly and somehow made people on podcasts think it was popular before it was at the top or it is real traffic.  

News Comments > Titanfall Beta Requires 64-Bit OS
28. Re: Titanfall Beta Requires 64-Bit OS Feb 5, 2014, 12:18 swedishfriend

Darks wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 10:08:
Cutter wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 01:32:
necrosis wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 00:29:
Cutter wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 21:17:
Not like I was going to bother with Titfall anyway but why not Vista 64 bit?
Because you deserve to be dragged into the street and stoned if your still running Vista.

Why should I go out and give MS another $100 when this OS works fine?

You got to be kidding me with that comment cutter, Vista does not and has never worked fine. Itís a caching pig, Have you ever just sat there and listened to your hard drive grind to death because itís constantly caching your files? Im suprised you havnt replaced a Hard Drive by now.

There many other things that is also wrong with that OS like being a slow over bloated pig which is why Microsoft pushed Win 7 out so quickly.

BTW Cutter, I have several Win 7 Pro keys, you can have one if you like. Sent you an email with the key.

Windows 7 does the same caching bit. You can turn it off in both. Vista crashes less than my iPod touch.

3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 5, 2014, 11:59 swedishfriend

Drug dealers are nice. The silk road is just a very secure version of Ebay. I don't know that the owner is brave enough to sell drugs.  

2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 5, 2014, 11:58 swedishfriend

Who cares about Metadata collection when they are capturing the actual data.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
25. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 6, 2014, 16:59 swedishfriend

Beamer wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 14:38:
BitWraith wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 13:05:
I'll be curious to see how this generation pans out. The boxes are selling well, but I'm not sure how the casual crowd is going to react fully to the seemingly lackluster upgrades from last gen. South Park said it best when they said "The graphics are 10% better!"

I'm also curious to see how Steam Machines affect the landscape.

The graphics are 10% better... now.
People seem to forget how things work in the 3D era. It isn't like the jump from NES to SNES anymore. But go look at the 360 or PS3 launch titles and compare them to late Xbox or PS2 titles, then to current 360 or PS3 titles. They look much more like the earlier generation than like current titles.
In other words, what we're seeing now is significantly worse than what these consoles are capable of and will be doing.

The bigger issue will be gameplay changes.
NES -> SNES: More buttons, meaning more ways to interact
SNES -> N64/PS: 3D
N64/PS -> PS2/GC/Xbox: Standard dual stick, allowing for better interaction with 3D worlds, enough RAM to do larger 3D worlds like GTA3
PS2/GC/Xbox -> PS3/360: Standardized and utilized online, enough RAM to do larger 3D worlds
PS2/360 -> PS4/Xbone: ???

Not really sure what this generation will offer that last generation couldn't do. I don't know if anyone is sure. Previously, there were clear signs and clear things being pushed. Now, everything is done better, but better isn't new. The new stuff is more out-of-game, like streaming and recording, but that doesn't change games.

Streaming and making it easier for independent developers will both encourage risk-taking in games. Streaming is at least like word-of-mouth help for a game and possibly it can reach thousands of people in more popular streams. Spreading out the attention and money means that more unusual ideas can get funding so we will see what comes out as worthy to hold on to.

IMO larger worlds is just now happening in a way that makes them fun to control which takes good frame rates for anything with real-time movement. Red faction guerrilla was the first I actually liked to play on a console and that still is very rudimentary in many ways. Imagine Red Faction Guerrilla with better and more NPC AIs. I loved the way they would help you, pick up arms and join in the fight against their oppressors. I imagine richer interactions like in an elder scrolls game where NPCs have lives and things to do and Walk around doing their own stuff. Then Mix that with the ever-changing "mood" of the AI in Guerrilla and the more fluid action. Run it smooth and let weird interactions between the player and the AI to happen as many as possible. That will be a brand new experience because of the pieces working together to make this fast, co-operative (or hostile) fluid experience. From talking to action to building support for the cause and organizing defenses, you just get an exponential increase in combinations of behaviors (end result)when you make things faster and with a finer granularity of possibilities.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
1. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 23, 2013, 08:41 swedishfriend

The NSA shit-storm recently is probably one reason there have been so many bigger or well-known companies recently announcing that they will accept bitcoin.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 22, 2013, 13:02 swedishfriend

So pretty big actually.  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
4. Re: Saturday Metaverse Dec 8, 2013, 12:54 swedishfriend

There is more money in music now than ever. The internet might hurt the bands that get heavily promoted by a record company but on aggregate more money is spent on music now than ever before. Smaller bands have an easier time making money and finding an audience. The fact that the author of this article writes "pandora wages an ugly war to pay less" tells me that the author is ignorant or working for one of those big record companies that might be hurt by more money going to smaller artists. If Pandora paid nothing (just like a radio station) they would still be increasing the sales of whatever music they stream (7% increase is the smallest number I have seen in studies).  

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
4. Re: Saturday Consolidation Nov 30, 2013, 14:36 swedishfriend

So a Swedish soccer player is now the Xbone's ambassador in France. Random much?  

3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 4, 2013, 10:57 swedishfriend

InBlack wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 10:14:
Im afraid until Snowden returns to the US nothing significant will happen with regards to the developing surveillance state. A Paradigm shift is needed. THe only way for that to happen is for Snowden to return to the US, say his thing in front of a judge and jury and face the gallows. It would take balls of steel, and would probably cost him his life but his martyrdom would get the ball rolling. He sacrificed a lot to get the truth out there, but Im afraid the truth is not enough.
Google is moving to barges and balloons for their data centers. When Google is moving its operations off of USA shores I'd say the truth is having an effect.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
20. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 18, 2013, 15:27 swedishfriend

LurkerLito wrote on Oct 18, 2013, 11:33:
Same here, keeping my preorder. I have the money already set aside for it so no reason not to get it. Since all my preordered games are delayed, I ended up preordering Knack. The gameplay looks good though I question the cutesy character design. I usually don't like cutesy like characters.

I am on the fence about Kill Zone. I rented the last one and it was good, but it is a FPS game on console, so I always have issues with the controller. Just don't know why I can never really get use to it.

In general you have to set the sensitivity very high for console FPS games. Most people find that better.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
10. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 17, 2013, 00:52 swedishfriend

Ozmodan wrote on Oct 16, 2013, 06:03:
Another reason to not jump on the bandwagon with the new consoles right away. At least on a PC I don't have to worry about proprietary interfaces. Problem will be if you lay out big money for a good headset on a console now, you will probably not be able to use the same on a PC, how ridiculous.

It is the proprietary gaming headsets that won't work right away. There is a regular headphone plug on the PS4 controller and the PS4 will work with standard bluetooth devices. Also there is an optical out in addition to the hdmi.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
28. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2013, 23:57 swedishfriend

jdreyer wrote on Oct 16, 2013, 13:00:
KS wrote on Oct 16, 2013, 12:14:
InBlack wrote on Oct 16, 2013, 10:43:
That Pot Smoker link is horrible. Its a chart, a damn unreadable one at that and one that doesnt answer the question 'why' or even attempt to. Waste of my five minutes. Bah!

Exactly, it doesn't say why, and just draws a correlation. A better title would leave out "why".

Yeah, while colorful and visually appealing, it does a poor job of presenting its information. If you look very carefully you'll notice three main reasons current pot smokers are thinner:
1. They are younger by a wide margin.
2. They don't drink nearly as much (the pot is a substitute for alcohol)
3. They smoke a lot more, and tobacco is an appetite suppressor.

According to the chart:
1. more than half the current users are over 29. About 4/5ths of the previous users are over 29

2. Current users drink much more alcohol than non-users

3. Yes they are more likely to use tobacco.

They are also more likely to exercise than the non-users.

Plus you will burn more calories while high.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
72. Re: Internet abandons the US Oct 14, 2013, 20:48 swedishfriend

Creston wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 10:30:
Good work, government. Really, just a job WELL FUCKING DONE. Vote yourselves another raise, you clearly deserve it.

Please everybody, vote all these fucking incumbents out of office at the next election(s).

To be fair: any website that cost a lot of money works like shit. The more money spent seems to be a direct indicator of how much it will suck. A site by a major media company will be much worse at finding and playing back a TV show than a fansite would be. Every time.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
70. Re: Internet abandons the US Oct 14, 2013, 20:38 swedishfriend

Mad Max RW wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 11:28:
Necrophob wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 11:08:
Creston wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 10:30:
Good work, government. Really, just a job WELL FUCKING DONE. Vote yourselves another raise, you clearly deserve it.

Please everybody, vote all these fucking incumbents out of office at the next election(s).

I wish it was so easy, but remember, the only idiot you have the power to vote out is YOUR idiot You have no control over all of the other idiots in the House, and their districts are usually so gerrymandered that they have no fear of losing. I saw a statistic on The Daily Show the other day that mentioned that there is a 91% incumbency rate in the House. An MSNBC article mentions that Congressional approval is down to 5%...

Meanwhile Obama's approval is down to a record low of 37%, even lower than Bush's rating at this point in his presidency. When Bush finally reached it after 6 years the liberal dominated media celebrated. Now it's not even being reported by those same hypocrites.

Most polls put Obama's approval around 50%. Maybe that is why the lower number isn't reported? What media is liberal? Even public TV and radio leans right for years now. Are you talking about media in other countries? About 25% of the American public are completely sold on the propaganda and keeps repeating it in the face of all evidence while the rest of the world scratches their heads.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue, affleck. Aug 25, 2013, 12:16 swedishfriend

Ben Affleck as Batman? Seems a good fit. This is the least amount of internet outrage I have seen over any casting in any comic book based film so that is a good sign. Paycheck showed he can do fight scenes, plenty of high level dramatic acting... Don't see the problem.  

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
9. Re: Saturday Mobilization Aug 25, 2013, 12:09 swedishfriend

ledhead1969 wrote on Aug 25, 2013, 03:10:
This is a payoff to textbook companies to kill the used textbook market. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.

Maybe they are just trying to save money and to attract students? Paper books don't need a conspiracy to be killed off they would need a conspiracy to stay in use.

News Comments > id Hiring a Design Director
16. Re: id Hiring a Design Director Aug 24, 2013, 03:11 swedishfriend

Me and my friend Tom should do this job together. How the fuck does one make that happen? The knowledge and skills between the two of us and how well we work together seems too perfect.  

162 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo