Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brian Reynolds

Real Name Brian Reynolds   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Artist, animator, conjurer.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 17, 2005, 20:28
Total Comments 20 (Suspect)
User ID 23337

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > BF2143 Hinted?
37. Re: BF2143 Hinted? Dec 19, 2011, 15:39 Brian Reynolds

I'm expecting this to be a $15 expansion for BF3 in the same exact way that Bad Company 2 got the Vietnam update. I'll be happily surprised if it retains Titan mode as that was the best part of 2142, and I'll be even more happy if it is a complete standalone game with eight to twelve maps. I loved tearing around maps in the hover-tank and rocket helicopters. Still bummed that BF1943 never made it to PCs and will be quite upset if 2143 is console only as well.  
--------------------------------
...no, not *that* Brian Reynolds
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Duke Nukem Forever: Hail to the Icons
14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Duke Nukem Forever: Hail to the Icons Oct 11, 2011, 15:55 Brian Reynolds

$10 is about the price for a regular movie in theaters where you just watch the spectacle and kill some brain cells... and from what I've heard about the end product that's all I expected from playing Duke. Now I'm wondering whether I could just save myself the $10 simply watching someone else play it through via Youtube. Is there anything redeeming enough about the singleplayer to justify buying it (even at $10) vs. Youtube?

Hate to be a cheapskate, but morbid curiosity was all that Duke Forever had going for it.

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Aug 9, 2011, 12:19 Brian Reynolds

I love Steam, and have bought almost all of my PC games there for the past two years, and I'm not happy at all with the prospect of it being unavailable through my preferred distribution choice.

HOWEVER, I've been buying games at retail for thirty years and for a game like BF3 which I've really been looking forward to I'll just chuck down my money at Best Buy, Fry's, or someplace similar and I'll be doing fine without having to reward a digital service I don't want to participate in. Nobody is "forcing" me to buy the game via Origin or another non-Steam service as long as I can still pick the thing up in a box at a local store.

...although I'd be rightly pissed if I had to do something similar to the Rockstar Social group or GFWL on top of the usual account creation just to play the game...

News Comments > Portal 2 'Boots' Trailer
13. Re: Portal 2 'Boots' Trailer Apr 13, 2011, 11:24 Brian Reynolds

As much fun as the video content is I'm equally amused to hear that apparently Yanni does the music for Aperture Science promotional material. Or at least that's Yanni's "Santorini" played sideways.  

News Comments > Command & Conquer 4 on Steam
3. Re: Command & Conquer 4 on Steam Mar 10, 2010, 22:53 Brian Reynolds

Oh you TURKEYS! You wait until six days before the game is released to finally announce it'll be available on Steam?!? I'm on a quest to never buy spinning media discs ever again and so Steam has been my main source of game purchases and now, after months of "buy in advance and get Beta access" nonsense, only now that I've pre-paid for the game you say that it'll be available in the format I was looking for? Come ON!!  

News Comments > Battlefield Bad Company 2 Beta Today
13. Re: Battlefield Bad Company 2 Beta Today Jan 28, 2010, 14:15 Brian Reynolds

I'm curious to learn what makes this game something other than Battlefield 3, or perhaps just Battlefield 2 with upgraded technology. Although I loved the previous BF games to death I never played Bad Company since it was console only but that exclusivity suggests a gameplay control modification that would separate it from the PC brethren. I know about the single player narrative which is something different than the other Battlefield PC titles, but really when you get down to it is this going to play and feel like BF2 (or better, Desert Combat)? With a presumed BF3 in development I wonder just what is going to make this a uniquely different experience.  

News Comments > America's Army 3 Released
77. Re: America's Army 3 Released Jun 18, 2009, 01:05 Brian Reynolds

This game is for recruitment purposes. This game is aimed at younger boys who are impressionable.

I would respectfully submit that you aren't seeing the full scope of what AA can do to benefit the Army. AA is an opportunity for the Army to tell its story to all people who choose to play the game regardless of their recruitment potential. Popular media is rife with distortions about the Army with examples ranging from Rambo to Battlefield games, and there's the additional issue of how secondhand perspectives like news services and historical documentaries don't fully convey context or current Army standards that soldiers live and die by. If this game can help illuminate inaccuracies about the Army to American and foreign citizens of all ages then that in itself is valuable service.

News Comments > Far Cry 2 Bonus Maps
3. Re: Far Cry 2 Bonus Maps Dec 8, 2008, 17:02 Brian Reynolds

Hell no. Just finished the game last night, out of obligation rather than desire. So damned tired of having to slog my way through endlessly repopulating gateways and random vehicle encounters and relentlessly angry / surly characters.

Beautiful game to look at though.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
11. Re: No subject May 12, 2008, 15:52 Brian Reynolds

Similar problem here with HL2.exe errors under Vista 32bit.  

News Comments > More id on PC Gaming
6. Mouse and keyboard Mar 20, 2008, 09:24 Brian Reynolds

When the XBox was first being developed one of the primary mantras being touted was "XBox is a console, not a computer." and Microsoft never intended to develop a mouse or keyboard controller to emphasize the split between gaming platforms.

As a business decision I can understand this but as the market shifts more towards the console end of the industry I think it's long past due to re-evaluate the need to employ these two control tools rather than to constantly reinvent the wheel because nobody will actually take the step and do the logical thing.

Sheesh.

News Comments > Tiberium Announced
15. Re: Why so serious? Dec 18, 2007, 15:33 Brian Reynolds

Oh yeah, I forgot about Lando. His scene chewing was much more what I wanted to see from the rest of the actors although even he gave you the impression he was deadly earnest. When he sent me on a mission it was with a smile on his face and I happily nuked the planet with that briefing rather than the dour and grim briefings everybody else gave me.  

News Comments > Tiberium Announced
12. Why so serious? Dec 18, 2007, 15:02 Brian Reynolds

C&C is my favorite series and I've been delighted at the very thorough dedication given to C&C 3 and the forthcoming Kane's Wrath, but why does the atmosphere have to be so completely gravid and downbeat? These games play like the polar opposite of Red Alert 2 which was by far the most FUN game in the lineup even when others were equally satisfying to play. Kane has been turned from an enjoyably evil guy having a great time taking on the world into a driven madman filled with religious fervor, conviction and an out-of-place sense of urgency. I lay the blame partially at Westwood for their serious take in C&C 2, but man, let's remember how much fun can be had in the midst of the apocalypse (pointedly looking at any Mad Max movie).

That said I'm looking forward to another FPS venture into C&C territory. Bring back Frank Klepacki though! C&C just isn't the same without the boombox music effect.

As for the disappointment with sequels, it's all business. The investment in making games now is high enough that heavy consideration has to be given to the ability to recoup the money, and since no one seems to care about (ie: buy) games that are two years old (subscription games excepted) then a lot of effort and decision must be made to maximize the audience potential at launch date. That usually translates into a pre-existing audience and that means sequel / spinoff / tie-in.

News Comments > UT3 Collector's Edition Details
30. Re: ... Sep 24, 2007, 00:17 Brian Reynolds

The collectors edition of Unreal 2K4 had what practically amounted to a college education's worth of Maya and game design training, and if the content on UT3 is in any way as good as that it's worth the price ten times over. You could literally get a job with the knowledge gained from that material.  

News Comments > More In-Game Ads
20. No subject Aug 31, 2006, 12:13 Brian Reynolds

Awesome! I think that ingame advertising will be a great thing, just like outsourcing American jobs to cheaper foreign workers! Because you know that whenever the publisher is able to make more money on their investment that means we'll be able to buy their products for cheaper and cheaper! Right? RIGHT?!?!  

News Comments > Warcraft Movie Plans
12. Finally! May 9, 2006, 11:01 Brian Reynolds

Several years ago (2001 I think) after Vivendi and Universal became joined at the hip there was a big company meeting at the Universal Ampitheater in Los Angeles. This was the first meeting where everybody attached to VUGames in the LA area got to listen to the big brass talk about the strength of the company and the opportunities the future held. One of the questions expressed by the Blizzard guys was whether the connection with Universal Studios meant that there might be an opportunity to bring game franchises onto the silver screen. The question elicted a knowing hubbub from the other gamemakers in the audience and the VU bigwig took the question with a chuckle that indicated some familiarity with Blizzard beyond their monetary value. He replied that there was lot of incentive to make something like that happen.

Of course Hollywood can take years to get egos, budgets, and creative control lined up happily in synch. It's been a long time coming and I'm damn happy to see that their desire is finally coming to fruition.

News Comments > Into the Black
13. No subject Sep 19, 2005, 22:55 Brian Reynolds

Let's give credit where credit is due, insultingly bad management tried to turn the animation industry into a widget producing assembly line that created calculated-to-please product and was incredibly corporate suit top-heavy. Animation became bloated, expensive and much less profitable as a result and in the end when all the low-rent sequels were mined for all they were worth the powers that be decided that the public was tired of traditional animation and so 3D must be the cure. Of course this is the same mentality that says that putting Brad Pitt in a leading role in an animated film must be a great box office draw (conveniently forgetting Cool World). A more accurate article would convey that Disney traditional animators made the switch because their corporate overlords wouldn't support 2D animation anymore.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Joe Ranft, RIP Aug 18, 2005, 12:09 Brian Reynolds

Very glad to see a note here about the death of Joe Ranft... truly a giant among storymen.  

News Comments > DOOM Movie Mania
49. Re: Zzzzzz... Jul 27, 2005, 16:16 Brian Reynolds

It looks just like the 100 other Alien like movies released in this genre.

Maybe I'm the only one whole thought that every incarnation of Doom was capitalizing on the look and feel of Alien / Aliens in the first place.

There's definitely a nod to the game audience in the preview with shots taken from the same point of view as a first person shooter. I'll bet that when the actors looks down however they see their body and feet, unlike every fps out there.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. No subject Jul 14, 2005, 11:51 Brian Reynolds

What I find infuriating about the teamkill problems are how they get reported. I've flown a blackhawk fully loaded and had an opponent kamikaze his jet into me and the game reported that I teamkilled all my passengers who then punished me. WTF? I've shot down a helicopter that was chasing teammates in a jeep and the chopper fell on the jeep killing them. Of course I get punished for their deaths.

This wouldn't really be an issue if it weren't for the fact that I'm now unable to log onto some servers (Extra, if I recall) because of this sort of nonsense.

News Comments > BF2 Linux Server Issue?
18. No subject Jun 23, 2005, 14:20 Brian Reynolds

On a tangental note, has anyone found a way to have mouselook and normal mouse movement work in tandem properly? For the helicopter control scheme I've inverted the mouse for flight control... but the mouselook control remains the same (ie, inverted from the helicopter controls). Changing the setting in the "Common controls" are to invert the mouse directions does the trick to unify the mouselook and helicopter directional controls, but when you're not flying the helicopter it screws (inverts) the regular mouselook operation.  

20 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo