Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kedyn

Real Name Kedyn   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kedyn
Email Concealed by request
ICQ 518445
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2005, 12:55
Total Comments 579 (Apprentice)
User ID 23330

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
12. Re: OFP Dragon Rising Ships Oct 6, 2009, 11:51 Kedyn

What I've read is mostly good, so I'll probably be picking this up when it releases tomorrow.

That, and there isn't shit to play on PC these days...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dead Space 2 in Preproduction
26. Re: Dead Space 2 in Preproduction Oct 3, 2009, 14:50 Kedyn

Make us whole again.  

News Comments > Stardock Boycotting UPS? [Updated]
64. Re: Stardock Boycotting UPS? Sep 28, 2009, 20:16 Kedyn

Who cares about his political views? Just let his games speak for themselves.

However, I may be biased, since I'm a gun-toting non-Bible-thumping conservative.

Honestly, though, I haven't really enjoyed anything from Stardock. I preordered Sins of a Solar Empire and played it maybe 5 times.

News Comments > The Music of Dragon Age: Origins
3. Re: The Music of Dragon Age: Origins Sep 28, 2009, 20:13 Kedyn

I might be getting this game for just the music. I've loved Inon Zur's work since Klingon Academy.

EDIT : Her singing sounds REALLY familiar... Anyone know any other games she's done? Other than Devil May Cry 4?

This comment was edited on Sep 28, 2009, 20:19.

EDIT 2 : Now I remember.. She sounds like the background singer in the original Medieval : Total War. Wonder if she did that?

News Comments > Who Owns Planescape: Torment?
8. Re: Who Owns Planescape: Torment? Sep 28, 2009, 13:16 Kedyn

it doesnt help that the popularity of "DandD Planescape" among role-players has sort of flat-lined

Didn't they stop making Planescape stuff a while ago, though?

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Plans?
31. Re: Game Reviews Sep 27, 2009, 03:13 Kedyn

Good point. Plus the cone effect of shots randomized everything too much. Aiming weapons in the game was quite frustrating.

That's why you crouch and lead your target.

I liked Planetside because it was slightly realistic in that regard. It wasn't all rocket jumping and circle strafing.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Leaked Trailer
38. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 18, 2009, 17:46 Kedyn

weaksauce..another planned leak to try and get some attention. I am so sick of companies without morals:/

Yeah, down with companies that are trying to get their work published so they can make money! They should do it for charity and nothing more!

And while we're at it, down with companies that give awesome free content expansions like CD Projekt did!

/sarcasm

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: PS3 Sep 7, 2009, 13:35 Kedyn

I'm glad to finally have a day off. I worked over 60 hours this past week, and nearly 60 last week.  

News Comments > Steam Hardware Survey Results
25. Re: Game Reviews Sep 1, 2009, 14:14 Kedyn

TechNet... That's the one that costs $350 to subscribe to, right?  

News Comments > Free Dawn of War II DLC in October
5. Re: Free Dawn of War II DLC in October Aug 29, 2009, 20:27 Kedyn

Are you kidding? All they have been doing since launch is dropping free DLC. New maps, new modes, etc.

I've been wondering if they'll ever make a real retail expansion pack for DoW2 or not.

News Comments > Free Dawn of War II DLC in October
1. Re: Free Dawn of War II DLC in October Aug 29, 2009, 16:32 Kedyn

Fuck, October? That's a hell of a wait for something that sounds so damn cool.  

News Comments > Going Back to Kali
9. Re: Going Back to Kali Aug 23, 2009, 17:27 Kedyn

SirKnight! I remember you! It's FuD!

Didn't think anyone from the old days read Bluesnews!

How are things?

News Comments > Final Modern Warfare 2 Voice Work
5. Re: Final Modern Warfare 2 Voice Work Aug 20, 2009, 19:36 Kedyn

I wasn't impressed by Barry Pepper in Prototype, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned Kevin McKidd! He's a good actor, hopefully he's a good voice actor as well.  

News Comments > Play CoH Online in English
1. Re: Play CoH Online in English Aug 16, 2009, 12:33 Kedyn

So is this just the game's multiplayer component, or is it a different game altogether?  

News Comments > 2K Boston's Shooter
2. Re: 2K Boston's Shooter Aug 10, 2009, 20:16 Kedyn

System Shock, perhaps?  

News Comments > PC Shatter?
1. Re: PC Shatter? Aug 8, 2009, 00:03 Kedyn

Shadoobie.  

News Comments > Crytek's German Crisis
3. Re: Crytek's German Crisis Aug 5, 2009, 10:43 Kedyn

The people with guns and who have control denying those without guns the games or ideas to suggest that guns can change things or empower themselves. All in the name of 'safety and security.'

Repugnant nationalistic fervor. The real intent is to perpetuate control through fear.

The Nanny State - Coming Soon to a Freedom-Loving Democracy Near You!

Please, think of the children - it'll make losing your rights a little easier for you to handle.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Aug 5, 2009, 00:04 Kedyn

I TOLD you that if we got rid of the limelight-seeking Jack Thompson that someone worse would take his place!

Actually, I think Grossman is against ALL violent media but doesn't have the balls to attack Hollywood and Big Media.
Which is where I think he has seriously underestimated the Games industry.

Fortunately for him, Grossman has logic, reasoning, and relevance on his side. Thompson just had emotional belligerence. Unfortunately for us, that also gives Grossman some credibility.

If he was really against violence the first thing he should do is remove "Retired Army Ranger Lt. Col." Only then would I believe that he is genuine.

It'd be hard for him to distance himself from that, since that's what he put much of his life into. Again, it also gives him credibility. However, he's never actually led in combat, nor has he ever taken a life (as he states in his own book, On Killing). He's also a college professor and taught psychology and West Point.

Again, you really can't compare Thompson, an attorney with a grudge, to Grossman, a man that not only finished some of the most brutal and grueling combat/command schools in the United States military, but also a writer and accomplished psychologist.

Anyway, here's a statement from his Wiki :

Col. Grossman argues that that the techniques used by armies to train soldiers to kill are mirrored in certain types of video games. The conclusion he draws is that playing violent video games, particularly first-person shooters, train children in the use of weapons and, more importantly, harden them emotionally to the task of murder by simulating the killing of hundreds or thousands of opponents in a single typical video game.

While I don't completely agree that video games will "harden someone emotionally to the task of murder", I can understand why he think it does. In modern basic training, soldiers are taught to shoot at man-shaped targets rather than bulls-eyes. When the targets are hit, they fall down. If the soldier does well, he is rewarded. This sort of Pavlovian conditioning also occurs in video games - you kill someone in Counter-Strike, for example, and you're rewarded - they fall down, you get money, and your team wins.

However, I think that clicking a mouse on a computer and hearing a bang through some tiny speakers is worlds apart from holding a real rifle, sighting down the iron sights, pulling the trigger, hearing the shot ringing in your ears, feeling the recoil of the rifle, and watching a real target fall down.

But that's just one guy's opinion.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Aug 4, 2009, 22:11 Kedyn

David Grossman is a pretty smart guy. I just recently finished reading his book, On Killing. While I don't agree with his viewpoint completely, I can see and understand why he feels that video games are conditioning people into killers.

To summarize, Lt. Col. Grossman states in his book that all human beings have a natural aversion to killing each other. Only through desensitization, moral and cultural distancing, and Pavlovian conditioning can one actually become a more willing "killer". This specifically applies to military training. In World War II, one fact that he brings up many times is that only about 20% of front-line soldiers actually fired their weapons, and many only fired their weapons over the heads of the enemy. With new training methods, this increased to around 50% in the Korean War, and with reactive, man-shaped targets, this percentage increased to over 90% in the Vietnam War. Of course, the price that the United States paid for that kind of effectiveness is mirrored in the increased occurrences of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Anyway, On Killing is a very interesting read. Check it out if you're into psychology, and if you kind of want to ruin every action and/or war movie you've ever seen. Make sure to step into it with an open mind.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2009, 15:01 Kedyn

God I love Chipotle.  

579 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo