Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bob

Real Name Bob   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname LittleMe
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 15, 2005, 08:15
Total Comments 4807 (Master)
User ID 23321

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Aug 1, 2014, 15:42 LittleMe

Cutter wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 14:33:
TheEmissary wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 13:07:
Cutter wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 11:15:
When Linux becomes as easy as Windows and games run the same way under it then people will adopt. Otherwise it'll always be a pipe dream.

There are plenty of distributions and Windowing Shells that are as easy as windows. The problem is that Linux has too many competing standards and formats that make it difficult for new users to make sense of it. The amount of redundant effort for certain things can hurt as much as it can help.

There ya go. Anyone from the outside looking in doesn't even know where to start. With Windows you know exactly what you're getting. As open as Linux is, that's also one of its major problems.

Yes. Those standards aren't really standards either. It's a moving target. One year it's this, the next it's that.

Speculation - Valve could invest a lot of money to help get games publishers to solidify on their own standards but then the Linux community might revolt as they are known to do. Then it would be a fork and not backed by the Linux community and that could be it's death blow.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Defiance Game Not Dependent on TV Series
5. Re: Defiance Game Not Dependent on TV Series Jul 31, 2014, 14:06 LittleMe

Good to hear.

I'm more of the opinion that the game is far better than the show. Granted I only watched the first couple episodes but they were awful.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

News Comments > Defiance Expansion Next Week
3. Re: Defiance Expansion Next Week Jul 31, 2014, 00:42 LittleMe

Yeah it's a fun game for an easy drop in for an hour every once in a while.  

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Jul 30, 2014, 21:35 LittleMe

No one named Albert has ever tried to go into space since then and for good reason.

News Comments > Battlefield 4: Dragon's Teeth Released for All
7. Re: I think i'm burnt out Jul 30, 2014, 03:01 LittleMe

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 23:16:
ELITE wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 22:43:
I think I'm done with Call of Duty and Battlefields - and Titans and all the rest...

I must be getting old...

No. *Smart*. You're growing a brain. Congrats on that!

+1 yes.

For me it's because the game is too arcadey with no meaningful teamwork but everyone soloing. That's why I still love Project Reality in BF2. Connecting with other players over a fantastic VOIP system and working towards a goal in a more immersive battlefield environment (not the graphics). I get to develop a working repore and get to know other players and their way of doing things. It's just so much more meaningful to me than this superficial console arcadey bullshit that is BF4. To me, BF4 wasn't designed by gamers who are inspired about what they do and what seasoned FPS gamers what.

News Comments > Firefall Launches
15. Re: Firefall Launches Jul 30, 2014, 02:53 LittleMe

I've been playing it some the past few days and I don't care for it so far. It just doesn't draw me in. It seems superficial. I don't care about thumpers or resources. The game just fails to try to connect to me. Instead it just plops me in the world with a steep learning curve (good) but no compelling reason to care to play. I can shoot stuff in lots of games, why play this one?

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 29, 2014, 15:53 LittleMe

Yeah it wasn't clear that they were stealing the phones or just temporarily taking them to dump the data or something. Having your phone stolen by the police for a minor accident that didn't even involve your phone would be infuriating to say the least. Anything more than 24hrs is more than an inconvenience if the phone is used for work.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 29, 2014, 15:29 LittleMe

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 10:40:
Why should they all of a sudden drop prices and ruin their margins now?

Because they won't ruin their margins since the yields should be great because the 28nm process is very mature now. They can drop prices and still make the same (or more) profit. Higher yields+?????+better price+more sales=profit! (phase 2 is unknown)

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: Rise of Nations: Extended Edition Jul 27, 2014, 16:28 LittleMe

BobBob wrote on Jul 27, 2014, 16:19:
Is this worth getting over my old version? I like to play this game from time to time. One of the greatest RTS games ever made.

Um... Yes?!

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. US Social Security 'wasted $300 million on an IT BOONDOGGLE'. Jul 27, 2014, 13:26 LittleMe

Tip of the fucking ice berg when it comes to federal IT spending waste.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
1. Cable companies: We’re afraid Netflix will demand payment from ISPs. Jul 26, 2014, 15:39 LittleMe

The road to hell is paved with good intentions... Net Neutrality can do a lot of damage to the Internet. And classifying the Internet as a utility would be even worse. But the control freak in us wants it of course.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 26, 2014, 14:15 LittleMe

jimnms wrote on Jul 26, 2014, 12:59:
Each week we will be releasing a free camo in-game for all players. This will give you more ways to standout on the battlefield.

That really made me LOL.

yeah lol but they know it's about the ego's need to "stand out" from others with a (superficial) different appearance.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Early
2. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Early Jul 26, 2014, 00:20 LittleMe

IGN's rewind theater of the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOgQIp9yhE0

News Comments > Evening Interviews
7. Re: Evening Interviews Jul 25, 2014, 21:57 LittleMe

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 25, 2014, 20:14:
LittleMe wrote on Jul 25, 2014, 19:06:
Nah F2P can be done right and the market is slowly choosing the better models that we like. Romero is right about that. It's evolving. There are publishers and developers want to give us what we want.

There are VERY few "done right" f2p games.... vs a billion shitty mobile games (and some pc games too ,p) that all cost either miniscule or nothing, and yet are filled with timers, grind, and constant nag-screens (or advertisement)

I mean I get where you come from, HS and DOTA2 and what not are f2p games done right, but these are few and far between no?

Well it seems you are more familiar with all the F2P goings on than am I. Well yeah mobile games for the less savvy masses may very well be designed to suck people's bank accounts dry or whatnot... But here on PC I keep seeing and playing games that offer entertainment value for a lot less than the entry price of a new or current retail game.

Personally, I just don't take most F2P games that seriously where I cry if someone has a better gun or something. I look at it as fun for a few days or weeks (if that) and the move on. But even in buy-to-play games other players might have a better loadout anyway (BF3/4). And then ES:O is just.. too much boring/repetitive grind. If it had been F2P I would have saved $25. Sure it's more fair now, but it's also not fun enough to get worked up even if it wasn't fair or something. I genuinely don't care that I can't play the elite class that comes with the legendary edition, for example.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
3. Re: Evening Interviews Jul 25, 2014, 19:06 LittleMe

Nah F2P can be done right and the market is slowly choosing the better models that we like. Romero is right about that. It's evolving. There are publishers and developers want to give us what we want.

News Comments > Steam Controller Redesigned?
13. Re: Steam Controller Redesigned? Jul 23, 2014, 23:17 LittleMe

Does it have a place to attach different hats?

News Comments > More ArcheAge Beta Testing Next Week
1. Re: More ArcheAge Beta Testing Next Week Jul 23, 2014, 22:54 LittleMe

Learned about this game a few days ago and did some research.

Pros:

Good exploration and most quests are outside main story line
Lots of crafting, building, farming and economy etc (sandbox-ish)
PvP Naval warfare and piracy is unique
Free to play
PC exclusive

Cons:

Trion has a history of promoting pay to win (supposedly crafters should sub to be effective)
Graphics OK but not as good as ESO
It's a Korean MMORPG (converted for EU/US)

Another game getting perhaps more hype is Black Desert Online but that game won't be ready for a while yet.

News Comments > Dragon Age Inquisition Delayed
21. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Delayed Jul 23, 2014, 00:41 LittleMe

Yeah but it's still an action game and then when the action is interrupted by soap opera drama dialog is force fed any game can become tiresome with too much unnecessary dialog. I think the early Ultimas had that balance done better. SW:TOR and ES:O don't over indulge too much (just a bit).

IMO, letting the player _chose_ to pursue dialog rather than forcing it is best. Also it has to be introduced bit by bit, slowly, and those pieces need to seamlessly fit together. Movies and books often do a fantastic job of that. Games that overindulge in voice acted dialog such as DA:O (from what I remember of it), not so much.

News Comments > Dragon Age Inquisition Delayed
9. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Delayed Jul 22, 2014, 18:37 LittleMe

Icewind wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 18:16:
They need the extra few weeks to tighten up that riveting romance dialog they are so famously known for.

lol yeah with multiple dramatic dialog options.. I like what the Unbended devs said about multiple choice dialogs in their FAQ page:

Actually, those Multiple Choice Dialogue systems tend to slow down the game flow while not offering anything relevant for the game content-wise.

Well said. I don't like how DA:O is so dialog-heavy and force feeds story. Keep the soap operas on TV please.

News Comments > PC Gaming Alliance Gives Up, Changes Name
19. Re: PC Gaming Alliance Gives Up, Changes Name Jul 22, 2014, 02:24 LittleMe

It's not a problem. The PC platform is anti central-planning and for good reason: central planning too often doesn't work. The very continued existence of the ~32 year old platform is testament to more or less free market forces.

4807 Comments. 241 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo